• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engagement length and rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Together 3.5 years, proposed, married 8 months later. Been married 13 years.

Ring was a total shock to her. She crumbled as soon as she realized what was happening as I was proposing. For the first few seconds she was confused, then was a total deer in the headlights until it really dawned on her. Its a wonderful memory for both of us. It was a wonderful, private moment.

For the ring, I played 3 different jewelry stores against one another over a 6 hour period. I had cash on hand and acted a bit nervous and naive. It was xmas eve and they all smelled blood in the water so I used it to my advantage. I finally had an owner come out after my 4th visit price comparing to his store vs his competitors and he gave me an amazing deal on an amazing ring. Its not subtle at all, lol. Its actually kind of gaudy. But it really is a great ring with a "holy shit" factor. She still gets compliments to this day. The story and deal on that ring is a really great memory on its own!

What? Being engaged is no different from living together or being married basically.
Well if you put any meaning behind getting engaged or getting married then it is inherently different.

and most people plan a wedding in that time which gets more and more stressful up to the day. The quicker you get that over with the better (or do somethig small :p) though of course each couple has different experiences and pressures through that.

Azzurri

A good buddy got married recently.

They were together for 4 years and engaged for 18 months. He spend nearly 30k on the ring, but I guess when you're well of it doesn't really matter.

Zojirushi

Could someone explain how this works, do you actually drop a couple thousand $ on a ring she's wearing for a few months and another couple on wedding rings and the engagement ring goes into the jewelry box never to be seen again?

Could someone explain how this works, do you actually drop a couple thousand $ on a ring she's wearing for a few months and another couple on wedding rings and the engagement ring goes into the jewelry box never to be seen again?

The Wedding Industrial Complex is a giant racket.

Clearos

My wife wears her engagement ring with her band. I think it is a common thing.

Minus that..yes it is how it works. Spend money and then a bit more money.

E92 M3

Everybody blowin' the chedda on the bling bling, but I aint hatin'.

Gotta keep your woman happy.

Anyone propose in Italy?

DrSlek

Around 18 months and $5K AUD. The ring was custom made my a manufacturing jeweller. My brother in law made his wifes ring himself with guidance from a jeweller.

maxcriden

1.5 months, she did not want an engagement ring, we picked out wedding rings together after I proposed. We got married on our five year anniversary and had our fifth wedding anniversary last year. We were best friends best we got together though and moved in together almost immediately after getting together, and considered ourselves married when we got together, so it's an atypical situation.

Budi

Hmmm, it's been awhile. Her ring was around 400-500 euros and mine was much cheaper than that. About a year of engagement before breaking up.

Syrus

Banned
Engagement ring 60 at walmart

Engaged after 2 months in 12th grade

Engagement length 3 years

Currently married for almost 10 years

Wedding ring 1300(worth alot more now)

Rocketz

My wife is always going to wear both. Wedding band is first as the tradition is that band is worn nearest to the heart.

Syrus

Banned
Engagement ring gets soldered to the wedding ring, if you want

You buy the ring with the diamond and the band.

The diamond one is the engagement ring and the band is the wedding ring. After wedding you go to jeweler to weld them together

Edit. Always assumed soldering was common

JB1981

i planned the ring, had it designed and built over 5 months.

I proposed 2 DAYS after getting it (due to a very late delivery from the jeweler, I was super pissed).

We got married 4 months after getting engaged. Flew to our honeymoon right after the wedding and Packers game (Got married on a Sunday afternoon, went to the Packers vs Vikings Sunday night game, which they won :) ). Went to the game in my tux and her wedding dress, flew to the Bahamas right after.

ring was $6k. We had been together for 3 years by that point.

Awesome story !

Engagement ring gets welded to the wedding ring.

The diamond one is the engagement ring and the band is the wedding ring. After wedding you go to jeweler to weld them together
uhh no you don't... seems odd. You're supposed to be able to just wear the wedding band alone- especially if you don't want to bring your engagement ring on vacation or to the gym or whatever but still want to wear a ring.

Engagement ring gets welded to the wedding ring.

most people don't literally weld the rings together. first I've heard of that, honestly.

dpunk3

I got engaged about 2 weeks ago, and we won't be getting married for about a year. The ring was $400, she wanted sapphires and I intend to get her natural sapphires in the future but we're both undergrads and don't have the money right now.

NR1

Together 1.5 years; engaged 19 days. Got married at the court house first (19 days) and then had a big formal wedding 21 days later (40 days total). The ring was... expensive...

Engaged on March 12, 2017
0DE6DB16-D4B3-4F49-9BDB-1DC8DEEE453B.jpg

AEE6F0E5-7783-42E4-8307-2A7562ED3542.jpg

Courthouse Marriage March 31, 2017
9606C058-C472-4D0E-95A5-AE0CB1DE78DF.jpg

Formal Wedding on April 21, 2017
81F48C7B-D1B6-4B2F-AC0B-3FF243EE7964.png

13152705-861B-4099-B172-508FB8F2CD17.png

Still shocked we were able to pull it all together so well on such short notice.

snacknuts

we all knew her
My wife and I were very good friends for 12 years before we got together. I bought the ring three weeks after we started dating. Wedding was nine months later. The ring was $3,500.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dating 9 years
engaged for 6 months until we sorta eloped
married for 2 years when we actually had a wedding
engagement ring was custom made
discussing money is vulgar

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Engagement was 8 months, it was a 5k ring. We went to a counselor prior to our big day because of a recommendation from one of our Catholic friends who suggested a non religious version of what they did.

Apparently she wasn't exactly gone from the Mormon church as much as I thought when it came to raising children.

Also it turned out that she wasn't comfortable with her parents getting a divorce which is apparently a big no no in the mormon community and then me wanting to move to Colorado for my new job.

We had 2 sessions and then one day I came home from work to find our apartment completely cleared out with the exception of my couches, a couple dishes, and 2 ferrets.

Took the ring and left me in 10k in credit card debt.

Considering where I'm at now, I'm happy that it happened. I wouldn't have signed a prenup at the time and I shudder what she would have done to me now.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Engagement should have lasted exactly one year but the wedding was post-poned for two months due to schedule management difficulties.

The rings were solid gold rings at about €150 a piece.

besada

Banned
I lived with her for seven years, was engaged for one, and spent $250 to have a ring made based on my design, with a tsavorite garnet (she hates diamonds), which has the benefit of being both her favorite color and her birth stone.

We spent another $50 for the wedding rings. All in white gold.

Futureman

So I'm having a guy make a custom engagement ring for my GF. I've been with her for a little over 3 years now.

We have this thing about the moon (full moon on first date, next day she sent me a short story about the moon) so instead of a diamond I'm doing a moonstone. I don't think she necessarily would hate a diamond engagement ring but she's pretty socially conscious and I think she'll like I went with something else.

The guy making the ring is really cool. He makes a version in wax for me to approve and then will set it in silver with some gold trim. The ring has a wave like design which ties back into the ocean/moon thing. He said he can do some ocean waves on the one side and hide a name or something in there.

I just hope a moonstone isn't too "weird" for an engagement ring. This is putting me right around what I wanted to spend ($700). Doing a diamond with the same design, the guy said it would be at least $1,500.

Dougald

We were engaged for 2 1/2 years, I think the ring cost about £300. We had a nice small inexpensive wedding, too.

If expensive rings and weddings are your thing then that's awesome, but personally we couldn't stomach spending all my savings. Bought a house instead.

Meier

My wife actually didn't even want a second ring so she just wears her engagement ring as her wedding ring if you will. I just put that on her finger again when we got married. I think most women wear both if they get two.. they're usually done in such a way that they fit together. I think my wedding ring was about $300 if I recall and we picked it out together.

noomi

We had a VERY Short engagement in comparison to others here.

- First Date July 2011
- Moved in together sometime around 2012
- Engaged June 2013
- Married January 2014 (6 months)
- Baby Boy April 2016
- House March 2017

Cost of her ring: about $3.5K but actually worth over 7K. I knew people that worked in the diamond selling business/industry so I got a really good deal :p

Getting married was the most expensive experience in my life next to buying a home. Some people throw these massive fucking weddings and then you know what? DEBT!

otapnam

Cost of her ring: about $3.5K but actually worth over 7K. I knew people that worked in the diamond selling business/industry !

Everyone's ring is usually appraised for 2x what you paid on the document. It's mostly for insurance in case something happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom