• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki appointed President of From Software

MormaPope

Banned
There was thread on this very matter -___-

And no. I and many people disagree. Dark Souls 2 was a disappointment.

My brain isn't a trapper keeper.

Something being disappointing isn't the same as something being bad. If people were expecting the exact same emotions and exact same feelings while playing Dark Souls 2, well, that's on them. I went in expecting Dark Souls combat and mechanics and not much else, loved every second of it, and many people here also enjoyed the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm a little worried about this as well. Can presidents have direct involvement in projects or is there some rule prohibiting them from doing so?

They can, but they'll generally be busy with managing the company and other things.

Tomodachi

Not sure what to take from this, I'm happy I guess and From being a not so large studio means the president can have an active role on game development? Hoping for the best.

The walk to the water cooler is now filled with swinging blade traps.

#dead

Jaeger

My brain isn't a trapper keeper.

Something being disappointing isn't the same as something being bad. If people were expecting the exact same emotions and exact same feelings while playing Dark Souls 2, well, that's on them. I went in expecting Dark Souls combat and mechanics and not much else, loved every second of it, and many people here also enjoyed the game.

Agreed. Dark Souls 2 is my favorite game, right now. Nothing worse than instant backstabs.

MormaPope

Banned
When it comes to directing and the creative process, couldn't Miyazaki you know, hire or assign someone he deems fit for the position and what he wants to achieve for any given project? He probably understands and knows whom is good at what, so him not being a director for projects doesn't need to be an issue.

Skinpop

it's cool that it's the devs who get to climb the ladder, not the marketing or business people who don't understand gaming.

doomquake

now THIS i can get into.

here is a large photo that everyone can print and frame for their room:
1726537-hidetakamiyazaki.jpg

When it comes to directing and the creative process, couldn't Miyazaki you know, hire or assign someone he deems fit for the position and what he wants to achieve for any given project? He probably understands and knows whom is good at what, so him not being a director for projects doesn't need to be an issue.

It's an issue. A Big one. Swapping out director in a game makes a huge difference in the end product especially when it comes to intricate games like those in the Souls series. Miyazaki can hand pick some dude, but that dude's not him, which means the game will not directly correlate with Miyazaki's focused vision. For example, Dark 2 is a good game by Souls series standards and great game by game industry standards, but many of the elements are reused assets. The game also lacked some heart. Anyway, it was apparent to me that the absence of the original director (Miyazaki) was evident.

jay

This sounds like bad news to me. Creators getting bumped up too high generally keeps them from being creative.

This sounds like bad news to me. Creators getting bumped up too high generally keeps them from being creative.

It means he is being given free reign to do whatever he wants. If there was anything stopping him from getting the resources he needed to do his dream project, those barriers should be gone now. I predict amazing things.

jay

It means he is being given free reign to do whatever he wants. If there was anything stopping him from getting the resources he needed to do his dream project, those barriers should be gone now. I predict amazing things.

What is this based on (the original story seems to be in Japanese, so if it's in there, I can't tell)? Did Naotoshi Jin direct projects?

Kai Ozu

I WANT HIM IN THE DAMN TRENCHES MAKING GREAT GAMES! He is one of the only people that make games that I actually enjoy playing.

Standard problem that always happens with promotions. "Hey, you! You're really good at your job! So stop doing that job and do this different one!"

Havel

I WANT HIM IN THE DAMN TRENCHES MAKING GREAT GAMES! He is one of the only people that make games that I actually enjoy playing.

Kojima is the president of KojPro and still directs games. Also outgoing president Naotoshi Jin was director of Armored Core 4 according to OP.

Orayn

Bearer of the title...
Make games. Better, more powerful games.
Seek the hardcore, that is the only way.
Lest this industry swallow you whole, as it has so many others.

Just greenlight more Souls games and the studio will be fine.

They need to inject some new ideas into the formula or it will get old. I was already sorta feeling like the bosses and enemies all sort of feel the same by the end of DS1. All you have to do is bait, defend/parry/retreat, attack (repeat until dead) and you'll beat just about every monster / boss. This is one the reasons I liked some of the bosses in Demon's Souls because they had a bit more puzzle elements in some of them.

This...is a double edged sword. On one hand I am happy Miyazaki is getting recognition. But I am now worried we wont see Souls games come out in fairly rapid succession. I am sure the souls series is preserved, but we are going to see super long delays and wait years for sequels (I hope not...Demons' is in my top 3 for last gen) This promotion is typical of Japanese corporation promotion where the director/lead designer is promoted to the top of the company without looking at his business qualifications. The problem that will arise now is analysis paralysis. These guys are engineers and designers. Before today, Miyazaki was on budget and time to deliver, which he did. Now those constraints are gone. A decision to move forward during development stages is delayed in order to satisfy perfection and deliver the ultimate vision. We saw this happen with Team Ico, and we saw it happen with Polyphony Digital. Sometimes we see it with Kojima and Konami too. In US we don't see this as much because the heads of companies are business savvy individuals, and not nerdy coders and designers (barring few exceptions of course) which is why usually US developers are on track and on budget.

Just worried about the move, is all. I want my souls games every year! We have seen this happening in corporate Japan all the time. Just hope Miyazaki is an exception.

I think that it doesn't matter either way if he's president or not. I don't think Miyazaki would have accepted the promotion if it would take him directly "off the front lines" unless of course he was done with game development in the first place (in which case he would stop directing either way). I doubt you can force someone to become president against his will, especially someone who can now easily get a director job at any other studio easily.

Orayn

This...is a double edged sword. On one hand I am happy Miyazaki is getting recognition. But I am now worried we wont see Souls games come out in fairly rapid succession. I am sure the souls series is preserved, but we are going to see super long delays and wait years for sequels (I hope not...Demons' is in my top 3 for last gen) This promotion is typical of Japanese corporation promotion where the director/lead designer is promoted to the top of the company without looking at his business qualifications. The problem that will arise now is analysis paralysis. These guys are engineers and designers. Before today, Miyazaki was on budget and time to deliver, which he did. Now those constraints are gone. A decision to move forward during development stages is delayed in order to satisfy perfection and deliver the ultimate vision. We saw this happen with Team Ico, and we saw it happen with Polyphony Digital. Sometimes we see it with Kojima and Konami too. In US we don't see this as much because the heads of companies are business savvy individuals, and not nerdy coders and designers (barring few exceptions of course) which is why usually US developers are on track and on budget.

Just worried about the move, is all. I want my souls games every year! We have seen this happening in corporate Japan all the time. Just hope Miyazaki is an exception.

I actually feel the opposite, the Souls series would benefit from longer dev cycles as opposed to be 18-24 months they usually seem to spend.

I actually feel the opposite, the Souls series would benefit from longer dev cycles as opposed to be 18-24 months they usually seem to spend.
I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 12 and 20 months. 2 years is pushing it, but I'll accept it. I just dont want to be forced to wait 3 years or more for a sequel.

Top Bottom