• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki appointed President of From Software

eot

Banned
I just hope it doesn't mean he'll have less direct involvement in their future games. Of course it will though :(

I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 12 and 20 months. 2 years is pushing it, but I'll accept it. I just dont want to be forced to wait 3 years or more for a sequel.

I would prefer they take their time and do some genuinely new and interesting and exciting things than rehash what has been successful before. I feel like they need to take risks with this series and push it in different directions to keep it fresh.

BigFwoosh

I read this as "Hayao Miyazaki appointed President of From Software".

Now I'm disappointed that the next Souls game won't look like a dark Miyazaki movie.

Grief.exe

And thus ends his direct involvement in any and all dev projects.

ibd5dJjbhy1Tnf.gif

Orayn

I would prefer they take their time and do some genuinely new and interesting and exciting things than rehash what has been successful before. I feel like they need to take risks with this series and push it in different directions to keep it fresh.

Yeah, as much as I love the Souls series, I really don't want them to become a one-trick pony and just keep churning them out year after year. Hopefully Project Beast will keep the core ideas of the series but also break a lot of new ground; more of a lateral "sequel" like Shadow Tower or Eternal Ring, rather than just an iteration.

Datschge

According to this site: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,64044/ , which chronicles Naotoshi Jin career back to 1994, he has never been game developer for any From Software game. He has been Supervisor for many of their game but that's the extent of it.

That's harsh, superiors often get credits for the highest ranking job they did. And just recently Naotoshi Zin was credited as Lead Game Designer in Dark Souls 2 (so he likely already stepped down from the higher ranking post at that time).

Havel

Miyazaki seems to love his job and his fans too much to stop directing games. I guarantee this will not affect his involvement in the games he wants to create.

Tex117

Banned
Im elated for him, but what does this mean for From's game development?

He is an excellent creative mind and director....I just hope that his touch is still in From's game.

duckroll

Dunno if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but the news is actually a full corporate board shuffle at From Software, and some additions to Kadokawa Games' board as well.

Miyazaki is the company president of From Software now, but Kadokawa Game's Yoshimi Yasuda is the chairman of the board. He basically runs both Kadokawa Games and From Software now.

There are also 3 new directors appointed onto the board, two are from Kadokawa Games, one is from From Software. Kadokawa Games' board also has 3 new directors being appointed, all from From Software. 2 of them are also directors at From (one is an existing director, the other is one of the new appointments).

This is definitely a sign that Kadokawa Games and From Software are effectively in a merger state, even though they stay as individual business entities. Sharing directors, resources, etc. Might not be the best sign, but it does seem to show that Kadokawa is going to invest heavily in this partnership.

Dunno if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but the news is actually a full corporate board shuffle at From Software, and some additions to Kadokawa Games' board as well.

Miyazaki is the company president of From Software now, but Kadokawa Game's Yoshimi Yasuda is the chairman of the board. He basically runs both Kadokawa Games and From Software now.

There are also 3 new directors appointed onto the board, two are from Kadokawa Games, one is from From Software. Kadokawa Games' board also has 3 new directors being appointed, all from From Software. 2 of them are also directors at From (one is an existing director, the other is one of the new appointments).

This is definitely a sign that Kadokawa Games and From Software are effectively in a merger state, even though they stay as individual business entities. Sharing directors, resources, etc. Might not be the best sign, but it does seem to show that Kadokawa is going to invest heavily in this partnership.

Wow

Crazy stuff. Who are the guys that Kadokawa has making Natural Doctrine btw?

Good insight as usual. If Miyazaki is able to maintain his original team (Demon/Dark Souls 1) working on one project together that would be fine, even if the coders/artists ect. help out with other projects. If by "sharing" you mean the teams get split, that would not be as good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

very interesting info here thanks for that duckroll.

duckroll

Thanks, I didn't know if the info was already translated and talked about earlier in the thread, but it didn't appear to be the case. Giving more context here is important I feel, because other than "Congrats Miyazaki!" there's clearly a larger business plan here for Kadokawa.

Good insight as usual. If Miyazaki is able to maintain his original team (Demon/Dark Souls 1) working on one project together that would be fine, even if the coders/artists ect. help out with other projects. If by "sharing" you mean the teams get split, that would not be as good.

I only know what they say, and when Kadokawa acquired From, their official statement was that they hoped that From Software and Kadokawa Games would work together towards their global business strategy for game publication/development. They talked about sharing resources between the two companies as well. By appointing From people on Kadokawa Games' board of directors, and appointing Kadokawa Games people on From's board, and having one guy lead both companies, it's clear they're putting that talk into action now.

We'll see how it goes. Hope for the best I guess.

Wereroku

Thanks, I didn't know if the info was already translated and talked about earlier in the thread, but it didn't appear to be the case. Giving more context here is important I feel, because other than "Congrats Miyazaki!" there's clearly a larger business plan here for Kadokawa.

I only know what they say, and when Kadokawa acquired From, their official statement was that they hoped that From Software and Kadokawa Games would work together towards their global business strategy for game publication/development. They talked about sharing resources between the two companies as well. By appointing From people on Kadokawa Games' board of directors, and appointing Kadokawa Games people on From's board, and having one guy lead both companies, it's clear they're putting that talk into action now.

We'll see how it goes. Hope for the best I guess.
Its a really good plan in all honestly mingling the companies without absorbing one wholesale helps prevent the company culture from being destroyed while still allowing a sharing of technology and expertise. Its good to know that the drivers of the business are being put in a position to guide the company and I think it will only lead to better things.

duckroll

Actually, looking more closely at it again, I don't think Joji Sakaguchi is a From employee at all. He's the only one who's newly appointed to both boards who wasn't previously on one board or the other. I think he is (or was) the director of marketing for Microsoft in Japan. If it's the same guy, that could be interesting...

The new directors on From's board are: Yoshimi Yasuda (chairman of board, current Kadokawa Games chairman), Hidetaka Miyazaki (president), Joji Sakaguchi, Kentaro Sasaki (current Kadokawa Games director), Tatsuo Sato (current Kadokawa Games director).

The new directors on Kadokawa Games' board are: Eiichi Nakajima (current From director), Joji Sakaguchi, and Masanori Takeuchi (current From managing director).

The newly appointed auditor for From Software is also Kadokawa Games' current auditor.

Actually, looking more closely at it again, I don't think Joji Sakaguchi is a From employee at all. He's the only one who's newly appointed to both boards who wasn't previously on one board or the other. I think he is (or was) the director of marketing for Microsoft in Japan. If it's the same guy, that could be interesting...

The new directors on From's board are: Yoshimi Yasuda (chairman of board, current Kadokawa Games chairman), Hidetaka Miyazaki (president), Joji Sakaguchi, Kentaro Sasaki (current Kadokawa Games director), Tatsuo Sato (current Kadokawa Games director).

The new directors on Kadokawa Games' board are: Eiichi Nakajima (current From director), Joji Sakaguchi, and Masanori Takeuchi (current From managing director).

The newly appointed auditor for From Software is also Kadokawa Games' current auditor.

Cheers Duckroll, that's awesome info. I wonder what this means for their current developments. Do you know if they're changing locations with the 'what is effectively a merger'?

EDIT:

I am guessing not, which is why it's only effectively a merger.

I wonder given that From is rumoured to be working on next-gen stuff, and Kadokawa has already release a next-gen title, they realise that to create original content that keeps up with the West, they'd do better pooling resources.

Those jeans...

2/10 would not bang.

He's staying under Fat Roll.

We can only hope for the best. It's never failed the last 8 years in these matters!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
RIP Souls series. You had a good 2 game run.

Lol, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Thanks for the extra insight, Duckroll. Would pay for some folks around here to do their homework before making driveby statements.

Whatever this means for the future of From and Kadokawa, it will not change the development or direction of any current projects, least of all those that Miyazaki is directly involved in.

doofy102

He always struck me as a guy who's probably talented in whatever he sets his mind to.

You don't just take your childhood mindframe and translate it perfectly into a game's narrative and make it look that easy. That takes more than usual talent.

Renekton

I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 12 and 20 months. 2 years is pushing it, but I'll accept it. I just dont want to be forced to wait 3 years or more for a sequel.
Realistically even 2 years is considered pretty fast for a software project of this scale, unless the PM is a level 18 wizard.

Shengar

I don't know if I should be happy with this. Miyazaki is more of a creative person. I'll hope what other said earlier in this thread is true, that he'll still actively directing games as he see fit.

Just worried about the move, is all. I want my souls games every year! We have seen this happening in corporate Japan all the time. Just hope Miyazaki is an exception.
Kadokawa still owned them, which they could appointed someone higher than him to keep him in check or something in that notion.

Thanks for the info duckroll. I hope that Miyazaki's long involvement within FromSoft could steer them in the right track with the guy from Kadokawa keep him in check. Kadokawa know for releasing niche games in Japan, I hope they keep continue with MO in mind despite FromSoft having blockbuster series that is Souls Series.

Top Bottom