• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why does a weapon you can pick up off a mob enemy outdamage a boss weapon of the same variety with both at max levels? Carthus Curved Sword being the mob weapon and Storm Curved Sword the boss one.

They even have the exact same movesets. The skill scaling for Storm Sword is one letter higher, but that isn't enough to make up for the much higher base attack for Carthus Sword. And to top it all off, Carthus Sword has the advantage of causing bleed.

I just don't get it. Are boss weapons not special? I haven't been thrilled with boss weapons as a whole, but this specific example really boggled my mind.

Not all of them are good (with the dancer's sword probably being one of the worst examples) but some of the boss weapons can be especially powerful, but only if you have the right stats for it. In general though, yeah, "regular" weapons tend to be better, at least in terms of attack damage (just compare Yhorm's Great Machete vs. Great Axe, for example, though the first has better range the latter absolutely dwarfs it in terms of damage--in fact, I am fairly confident in saying that the Great Axe is the single most powerful Strength weapon in 50 Strength, though you need Heavy Gem for it to do so--it even beats FUGS, Smough Great Hammer, etc etc)

Anyways, I tend to use boss weapons just for their looks, hahaha.

silva1991

I had to farm Dregs, Bloodgrass, and Tongues ;_;

dregs and tongues weren't a huge issue because one only needs 10 of them

what the hell is a bloodgrass? I don't remember an item with that name lol.

edit: oh you probably mean wolf's blood swordgrass

funny I never read it's name until now.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I wish FROM would just stop with their mindgames already and stated what it's about. It's just crazy that even with the huge amount of work people have poured on finding usefulness of a single stat in an RPG like this, they still haven't found it yet.

For what it's worth, someone at From explained to Bandai Namco how Poise works, so the ball's in their court how they (as western publishers and community managers) choose to handle it.

As I understand it, Poise isn't "disabled" like a lot of people believe; it's just not a passive thing like it was in Dark 1.
It activates when you perform certain heavy/charge attacks and weapon skills, which gives the "hyper armour" effect.

The actual Poise stat in your character status screen determines how much "hyper armour damage" you can take before said attack is broken.
So the description is accurate, but the balancing is off, which makes it come across as disabled/broken. (A good soul in the story/lore thread politely calls it "undercooked".)

Edit:
It's frustrating, because there's only so much From can say to its audience (both Japanese and worldwide) without treading on anyone's toes.
But then some website comes along (who shall remain the Nameless King of Clickbait) "quoting" From and holding them to the Profaned Flame of the internet.

I mean, the developers are accountable when something isn't implemented successfully, but the subsequent balancing act is a delicate process.
You can't just "fix" one thing and expect nothing else to be broken, especially if you're simply activating a variable in a system file.

For what it's worth, someone at From explained to Bandai Namco how Poise works, so the ball's in their court how they (as western publishers and community managers) choose to handle it.

As I understand it, Poise isn't "disabled" like a lot of people believe; it's just not a passive thing like it was in Dark 1.
It activates when you perform certain heavy/charge attacks and weapon skills, which gives the "hyper armour" effect.

The actual Poise stat in your character status screen determines how much "hyper armour damage" you can take before said attack is broken.
So the description is accurate, but the balancing is off, which makes it come across as disabled/broken. (A good soul in the story/lore thread politely calls it "undercooked".)
I thought it was proven somewhere that the only values that matter for hyper armor is whether you have 0 or 1 poise.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was proven somewhere that the only values that matter for hyper armor is whether you have 0 or 1 poise.

Some are saying it's 0 or 1, some are saying you only need 0.1, others are reporting a difference with higher numbers. There's probably an awful lot going on under the hood that makes all these tests so inconsistent.

It's clear the implementation isn't perfect, but the issue I'm discussing is communication. I imagine (from Bamco's perspective) it's working "as intended" because it was intended to be different from Dark 1's system. The consensus seems to be that this (at least) is a good thing, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Take my "0 and 1" figure with a grain of salt, the point was that for the hyper armor all they ever found was more of a "toggle" and that you didn't really get more out of actually trying to build as much poise as possible.

The problem isn't that they changed poise, it's that they changed it in a way that is presented in a very deceiving way which can lead to unknowing players wasting many levels raising Vit.

laxu

Some are saying it's 0 or 1, some are saying you only need 0.1, others are reporting a difference with higher numbers. There's probably an awful lot going on under the hood that makes all these tests so inconsistent.

It's clear the implementation isn't perfect, but the issue I'm discussing is communication. I imagine (from Bamco's perspective) it's working "as intended" because it was intended to be different from Dark 1's system. The consensus seems to be that this (at least) is a good thing, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The issue is that regular NPC enemies have poise similar to previous DS games, meaning they or their attack can't be interrupted by many weapons. The same is not true for the player character who can be staggered by even the fastest, least damaging weapon no matter how much armor you wear. The game simply does not reward you in any way for trading speed for protection and damage since some straight swords can do better or equal damage as a huge sword.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The issue is that regular NPC enemies have poise similar to previous DS games, meaning they or their attack can't be interrupted by many weapons. The same is not true for the player character who can be staggered by even the fastest, least damaging weapon no matter how much armor you wear. The game simply does not reward you in any way for trading speed for protection and damage since some straight swords can do better or equal damage as a huge sword.

That is why I now greatly favor stuff like Fume or Great Axe since I can just hyper armor through all the R1 bullshit and hit them for huge damage.

Edit:
It's frustrating, because there's only so much From can say to its audience (both Japanese and worldwide) without treading on anyone's toes.
But then some website comes along (who shall remain the Nameless King of Clickbait) "quoting" From and holding them to the Profaned Flame of the internet.

I mean, the developers are accountable when something isn't implemented successfully, but the subsequent balancing act is a delicate process.
You can't just "fix" one thing and expect nothing else to be broken, especially if you're simply activating a variable in a system file.

I don't think that's anywhere near confirmed.

Meccs

After spending 5+ hours yesterday with my new luck/bleed build I just went back to quality with my good old BKG. I hyper armor through everything and trade hits without caring. I don't see a reason for a bleed build since I feel like I'm doing almost as much damage with my Carthus Curved Sword when I apply Rouge. I do however fear the good player that knows what he is doing and can handle the spacing very good. I bleed build can down you in like seconds if it connects. In a 2vs2 scenario it is really fun since you just sneak up on someone fighting and unleash. If he can't interrupt you with his hyper armor it's lights out. Damage is insane with the Warden Twinblades, especially if you add Rouge on top of it.

Luck also limits you too much in my opinion. Most weapons are quality scaling.
My good old BKG with the Knight Slayer and Hornet rings at SL60 are good fun though.

Luck also limits you too much in my opinion. Most weapons are quality scaling.
I just treat Luck as a component to its own kind of Quality Scaling (unless it's Anri's). Usually a weapon might continue have decent Str or Dex scaling after you make it Hollowed.

You can also do things like Int/Luck or Faith/Luck builds because Anri's sword lets you get all of your melee physical damage from one stat.

But yeah, I agree that Carthus alone might just be as good as making a bleed build.

I appreciate that they brought back the respec option. I'm going for all trophies and moving on to NG+ it means I can easily re-roll a different build for the run making it a bit more interesting. I was thinking about other DS2 additions such as bonfire ascetics, but without enemy despawns I'm not sure if there would be a need for them in DS3, maybe for boss farming/practice or just for the challenge.

Meccs

I just treat Luck as a component to its own kind of Quality Scaling (unless it's Anri's). Usually a weapon might continue have decent Str or Dex scaling after you make it Hollowed.

You can also do things like Int/Luck or Faith/Luck builds because Anri's sword lets you get all of your melee physical damage from one stat.

But yeah, I agree that Carthus alone might just be as good as making a bleed build.
True, but my favorite weapons can't be infused. Another reason: Luck/Bleed is insane fun but the reality is, I'm just not that good with it. I was always tempted to just use Anri's because of it's range and power, it's just easier to handle. Warden Twinblades have such a short range and the weapon art can be interrupted. I felt so squishy. It is high risk, high reward. But since it is "Phantom Range Souls 3", I rather apply Rouge to a Carthus and have a similar effect. The bleed does proc quite nicely with my quality build.

Ferr986

I appreciate that they brought back the respec option. I'm going for all trophies and moving on to NG+ it means I can easily re-roll a different build for the run making it a bit more interesting. I was thinking about other DS2 additions such as bonfire ascetics, but without enemy despawns I'm not sure if there would be a need for them in DS3, maybe for boss farming/practice or just for the challenge.

They would be useful if NG+ bosses had new drops like in 2.

Btw, been cooping the dungeon, invasions are fun there. Problem is that once we reach the Capital I'm totally out of estus (especially ash ones) so I'm totally useless (pyro build), but I love going around with my pyro witch (DS3 has the best witch hat!)

I actually use Hollowed Carthus Shotel on my 20 Str/30 Dex/31 Luck build and it can still be buffed. It bleeds well, but it's basically a straight sword in disguise so people parry it very easily. Warden Twinblades are more of a hit and chase weapon and are more suited for invasions, IMO.

I haven't really paid attention to covenants this entire time, do I need to equip the covenant talisman in order to receive the correct reward as well as just join the covenant?

It seems like a redundant double-check, not sure what the point of joining the covenant AND equipping the talisman is? Because you can equip a talisman without being in that specific covenant. Confusing.

I haven't really paid attention to covenants this entire time, do I need to equip the covenant talisman in order to receive the correct reward as well as just join the covenant?

It seems like a redundant double-check, not sure what the point of joining the covenant AND equipping the talisman is? Because you can equip a talisman without being in that specific covenant. Confusing.
You don't "unjoin" covenants this time, you just switch between them on the fly with the talismans. The joining a covenant just gives you the talisman and enables using the covenant leader services.

Sarcasm

You don't "unjoin" covenants this time, you just switch between them on the fly with the talismans. The joining a covenant just gives you the talisman and enables using the covenant leader services.

So that means you need to equip to get the item drops? Yes/No

Oh! Well that's a lot simpler. So joining is just 'discovering' and equipping is being in the covenant, thus receiving the relevant reward.... smart!

valouris

Guys, I boned out after I beat
Aldrich and I got teleported to fight the dancer of the boreal valley
, how do I get back there??

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I can't remember his name, but is the pilgrim NPC supposed to
just die for no reason
at around the time you finish the Catacombs

Gbraga

What is a good weight ratio to have for an aggressive straight sword strength & dexterity build with no shield?

Anything below 70% is fine.

Some times I even think the light roll goes a bit too far, and that it's easier to play with mid roll.

Deku Tree

Anything below 70% is fine.

Some times I even think the light roll goes a bit too far, and that it's easier to play with mid roll.

Oh wow I'm a bit under 64% and I thought that was too much. Someone told me that I should try to be under 50%... lol.

Meccs

The Leo Ring is only for thrust weapons right? Like Estoc or Profaned Greatsword 2hR2? It does nothing when you trade with other weapons?

Pompadour

Alright, I'm having an issue with the game that I can't seem to fix.

My wife has a disc copy of the PS4 version whereas I have a digital. I already beat the game so I was going to trade in the disc copy and let her use the digital. I deleted her game, started to install mine, and then changed my mind (I figured we could do co-op on her copy) and reinstalled the disc version.

So I go to start it up and the game tells me the disc version and the save version aren't the same. It also tells me to sign into the PSN network and then update the game. Of course, I'm already signed in and the game is up to date, apparently. I'm not sure how to resolve this issue.

LiK

Alright, I'm having an issue with the game that I can't seem to fix.

My wife has a disc copy of the PS4 version whereas I have a digital. I already beat the game so I was going to trade in the disc copy and let her use the digital. I deleted her game, started to install mine, and then changed my mind (I figured we could do co-op on her copy) and reinstalled the disc version.

So I go to start it up and the game tells me the disc version and the save version aren't the same. It also tells me to sign into the PSN network and then update the game. Of course, I'm already signed in and the game is up to date, apparently. I'm not sure how to resolve this issue.

Try deleting all game data and profiles. Back up your saves. Reinstall everything including updates and try again.

The Leo Ring is only for thrust weapons right? Like Estoc or Profaned Greatsword 2hR2? It does nothing when you trade with other weapons?
I think it's always worked with weapons with mixed movesets too. Like the longsword R2 is a thrust, so it will work with that, but the R1 is a slash which will not. I'm just assuming.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I made a new character with the intention of being a group miracle wielding swordmaster sunbro but I forgot how long the start up is on uchi attacks and I gave up immediately.

Raw long/barbed sword it is then.

I have to say: I don't have as much enthusiasm for different builds as I did in 1. I haven't even finished one of the Anri lines yet, let alone both. Movesets are better but I can't be bothered to play with different weapons in 3, and the prospect of just going with a straight sword is a little bit boring. What's fun to use?

Pompadour

Try deleting all game data and profiles. Back up your saves. Reinstall everything including updates and try again.

Well, I deleted everything (deleted all the users) and that didn't solve the problem. I notice that when I pop the disc in it's "ready to play" and fully updated in about 8 seconds. I'm not sure what the sizes of these Dark Souls patches are but I think it would take longer than that so it almost feels like it's not updating all the way.

Is there a way to force an application update even if it already says it's up to date?

Edit: I tried playing with a blank save and the top left corner says application data 1.00. So I'm guessing there's something wrong with the Sony servers where it is incorrectly assuming 1.00 is up to date? Can anyone else download any patches?

GulAtiCa

I decided to respec my stats (lv 125) to do some item hunting. Got 99 Luck, and enough stats to use a good greatweapon to stun the Silver Knights. So in total, I have 199 (99 Luck stat) + 100 (Head Gear) + 50 (Crystal Sage's Rapier) + 75 (Ring) for 424 Item Discovery. Going to try to farm those damn knights.

Also... Isn't defeating Aldritch Faithful invaders suppose to get me Proof of a Concord Well Kept (with cov equiped)? I tried to let myself get invaded in that area where they invade... And I don't get anything..

jonjonaug

I made a new character with the intention of being a group miracle wielding swordmaster sunbro but I forgot how long the start up is on uchi attacks and I gave up immediately.

Raw long/barbed sword it is then.

I have to say: I don't have as much enthusiasm for different builds as I did in 1. I haven't even finished one of the Anri lines yet, let alone both. Movesets are better but I can't be bothered to play with different weapons in 3, and the prospect of just going with a straight sword is a little bit boring. What's fun to use?

I like using the Large Club a lot, when fully charged the 2 handed R2 flattens most enemies in the game, and anything it doesn't kill outright takes long enough to get back up that you can just hit them again as soon as they do.

Ferr986

I decided to respec my stats (lv 125) to do some item hunting. Got 99 Luck, and enough stats to use a good greatweapon to stun the Silver Knights. So in total, I have 199 (99 Luck stat) + 100 (Head Gear) + 50 (Crystal Sage's Rapier) + 75 (Ring) for 424 Item Discovery. Going to try to farm those damn knights.

Also... Isn't defeating Aldritch Faithful invaders suppose to get me Proof of a Concord Well Kept (with cov equiped)? I tried to let myself get invaded in that area where they invade... And I don't get anything..

Only if you're a blue phantom.

Top Bottom