• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Defuser

Yeah the latest ENB ep wow. Goes into boss room with 150k souls, forgets the dragonslayer bonfire, the elevator bs, damn. I can understand missing a lot of stuff, but you should recognize the environment of the last boss you fought. But I agree with him, two princes is one of the best bosses in a Souls game

yeah I really want to strangle him. He pick up the scholar robe and he read the sorcerer robe instead and he forgot the dragonslayer bonfire.

Soulhouf

The end of the last ENB episode is hilarious :lol
First he wasn't able to tell were is the closest bonfire and then he couldn't figure out how to get that elevator to go up.

I liked Lothric castle/Archives a lot because he was so bad at it and handled every situation differently from how I do usually. Not to mention the tremendous amount of screw up and things he didn't see.
It was very entertaining.

I don't know why people invite to duels if they're gonna chug. I stand no change with more than half less estus.

I usually use all the estus I have and do the empty estus animation to show them I don't want healing during the fight.
Usually it works but sometimes I run into assholes...

LiK

Just started watching ENB and if what you guys say is true, I am also confused at why he's forgetting things. He seems to be taking some breaks and instantly forgetting where he was. I wish he would just watch his own previous eps and remember where he was.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm coming around on this "ENB doesn't record stoned" thing, he has the memory of a goldfish all of a sudden and seems super scattered

LiK

ROFL. wow, you guys weren't kidding, ENB forgot where the bonfires were when they were right there. Jesus...

I succumbed to the "meta"

I'm using a Black Knight Halberd, is my first time using a halberd in Souls game and is quite fun, I needed a break from UGS and other very heavy weapons.

The moveset in this thing is just killer, is too good.

It's amazing what a difference having a weapon you like the moveset of makes. I just killed Nameless King on my first try on my rapier character, where as on my first playthrough with a Claymore it took about 20 tries. This actually gives me confidence that I could do this boss SL1 because I think I only got hit once.

It took me 30 tries with a Katana or so, and I killed on my first try using Morne's Greathammer on my other character.

But I don't think the weapon had much to do, rather that after 30 tries I had a much better grasp of his moveset and tricky windups.

He even noted that that elevator was the same 'puzzle' as when you meet Seigbro and he still couldn't figure it out, lol.

I didn't discover that slab/elevator down until my second playthrough though. I remember watching LobosJr's first playthrough and he didn't discover the elevator at all, doing a boss run through the long gauntlet past the tons of enemies, glad there was a shortcut. ENB noted that part was very Boletaria and that's what I thought too, immediately gave me 1-3 vibes the part leading to Penetrator.

LiK

He even noted that that elevator was the same 'puzzle' as when you meet Seigbro and he still couldn't figure it out, lol.

I didn't discover that slab/elevator down until my second playthrough though. I remember watching LobosJr's first playthrough and he didn't discover the elevator at all, doing a boss run through the long gauntlet past the tons of enemies, glad there was a shortcut. ENB noted that part was very Boletaria and that's what I thought too, immediately gave me 1-3 vibes the part leading to Penetrator.

If he only bothered walking up the stairs to that boss room, he would be avoiding this long ass run back to the boss. And yea, I cannot believe he didn't know how to make it go back up. That was just crazy to me.

I change my mind, Marcus is friggin' high.

Dahbomb

There are some things I have learned to do automatically do when playing these games:

*If there's a chest, hit it first. Always.

*Read every single item and weapon I get.

*Exhaust all dialogues with every NPC I encounter.

*Check every nook and cranny... twice. And then another time for illusory walls, hidden paths.

*Kill everything the first time I see it.

*Whenever I see a new elevator, I step on it once then step off to see if its a double elevator.

*When riding an elevator I always look for spots to jump off of.

*I always map out my nearest Bonfire (mentally) when approaching an area that looks like a boss fight. If it's not close I go around searching for shortcuts.

These things have pretty much been engrained on me by this time because that's how all the games work. I am surprised that someone of ENB caliber doesn't follow all of these rules and then some.

Strampas

Neo Member
I've started to do some side quests now that I'm playing NG+. How are you suppose to figure out all that stuff alone?

I'm scared that I will screw up some side quests (the ones I've looked up, I may be missing some).
I almost entered the catacombs, I went down the stairs after the abyss watchers. I think I've read that you're not suppose to go there before killing the Deacons of the Deep in the Anri of Astora quest. Or at least not talk to the npc there

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There are some things I have learned to do automatically do when playing these games:

*Check every nook and cranny... twice. And then another time for illusory walls, hidden paths.

*Whenever I see a new elevator, I step on it once then step off to see if its a double elevator.

*I always map out my nearest Bonfire (mentally) when approaching an area that looks like a boss fight. If it's not close I go around searching for shortcuts.

These things have pretty much been engrained on me by this time because that's how all the games work. I am surprised that someone of ENB caliber doesn't follow all of these rules and then some.
Sounds about right.

Another thing I always do is, after riding an elevator, I "send" it back down (or up, depending). So that if I die and need to make my way there again I don't need to flip the switch to call it back, it'll be there waiting for me. And if it's a double elevator then I'll see right away.

I was forced to break this rule when I saw all those black goo enemies in Consumed King's Garden. Fuck that. I just ran past all of them immediately. First time I've skipped a fight in these games.
Hah, for me it was the other types of black goo; the slime enemies in the Catacombs (near the wheel skeletons, before them and then more of them guarding the carthus milk ring) and then the horde of them in the Demon Ruins. I ran out of firebombs and it was just too tedious, plus it's useless.

Gbraga

I didn't kill the dragon asses on my first playthrough, fuck that.

Other than that, everything dies on a first playthrough of a Souls game. Yes.

Multiple times, gotta get those sets and weapons.

Hah, for me it was the other types of black goo; the slime enemies in the Catacombs (near the wheel skeletons, before them and then more of them guarding the carthus milk ring) and then the horde of them in the Demon Ruins. I ran out of firebombs and it was just too tedious, plus it's useless.

It is useless, but you only know that after you've wasted your time killing them, so they died :p

That's why his current walkthrough is so disappointing. I mean, he helped to make the guide for 3 editions of two souls games and he just goes around trying to guess why there's not an item in the place he thought there would be something.

At this point I'm almost sure he's going to get the worst ending of all and he'll complain the ending is not satisfying or something. He still have some chance to find the eyes of the fire keeper though.

Sullichin

Sounds about right.

Another thing I always do is, after riding an elevator, I "send" it back down (or up, depending). So that if I die and need to make my way there again I don't need to flip the switch to call it back, it'll be there waiting for me. And if it's a double elevator then I'll see right away.

I've literally pressed the call button an elevator after riding to "send it back up" in real life as a result of playing these games too much.

I just usb-saved to get the endings I hadn't got already, and the ending(s) where you
summon the fire keeper
were really great. I
attacked her first
- that ending took me by surprise, then the other one (which feels like the true ending) was great. Well done From, well done. Beautiful....

Need a tactic for the
kilm of the first flame
, gankers keeps sumoning invaders and is using his summons to cover all the spawn points so that when a invaders is summoned they all gather around to kill him.

I don't think you can do much in that place.

People shouldn't really invade in a large corridor before a boss, you will either face gankers or people summoning like 3 guys for the boss.

Note: I spoilered the location, you should do the same.

Arjen

I don't think you can do much in that place.

People shouldn't really invade in a large corridor before a boss, you will either face gankers or people summoning like 3 guys for the boss.

Note: I spoilered the location, you should do the same.

I do think it could be a cool pvp location.

lol. That is hilarious!

Also, makes me sad since I haven't got summoned as a Blade in forever now. :/

Trying waiting outside Tw
in princes
boss room. That place is very co-op heavy, and thus, invasion heavy so you have a good chance to get summoned. Basically if you go anywhere that has lots of co-op activity you're very likely going to find invasions too.

Just a few tips to save time and not ruin your game :p

Just look at the chain :p pointing towards you, mimic. If the chain circles around to the back loot chest.

ONLY IF THEY ATTACK FIRST! So many times I see something, get scared, and start wailing on it. Then think to my self...it never attacked me...ofuckofuckofuck I hope they weren't passive/bros PLS DARK SOULS!

Yeah, I like that in DaS 3, really unexpected for a double elevator. I like it :p.

I make sure that there's actually places to go if I jump off. I noticed a couple places where there's a platform to jump onto, but nowhere to go. Troll Souls 3.

I just turn around if I see a foggate or a big empty room...which is usually a boss fight.

Dahbomb

Man how the hell do people get invited to these big ganks as a Blue guy?

I have the Darkmoon covenant equipped and have never been summoned, lvl120 here. Are there specific places for it?

LiK

I have the Darkmoon covenant equipped and have never been summoned, lvl120 here. Are there specific places for it?

try G
rand Archives
. i got ganked plenty there.

Ferr986

No, area doesn't matter. Blue summoning is just shit. +100 in 3 character and only got summoned twice.

Newboi

ENB's current playthrough can be incredibly frustrating to watch. If I had a dime for every obvious item, lever, or hidden area he missed purely because he had the camera angled at an absolutely terrible angle...I'd be fairly well off lol. He explains in the video about how he's meticulous about looking around, but he doesn't search every nook and cranny, nor does he pay attention at all to his surroundings, so he doesn't forget where he came from so quickly. He only really looks around when he sees something that interests him.

Seeing him not know how to work the elevator, nor properly interpret that the robe description he was reading said "Sorcerer" had me face-palming.

Yea this ENB playthrough has a been a pain at points. How does he not figure out the elevator? What about going 2 ft away from the steps leading up to the top of the Grand Archives, turning around and continuing across the bridge to the Princes.

Dude's definitely a very oblivious player. He clearly excels with prep time, like Batman, I guess.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

No. It just doesn't work at all for some people. I have had the covenant equipped at the best levels/areas and spent hours there without ever being summoned. Not once.

LiK

Spy finally reached the Abyss Watchers after 24 eps. He seems overleveled as fuck now tho and he used a summon lol

Dahbomb

Yea this ENB playthrough has a been a pain at points. How does he not figure out the elevator? What about going 2 ft away from the steps leading up to the top of the Grand Archives, turning around and continuing across the bridge to the Princes.

Dude's definitely a very oblivious player. He clearly excels with prep time, like Batman, I guess.
Man anyone can excel when they do their online research, watch some YT videos and/or have information given by From themselves.

I am not saying I would do better or anything but this is what an actual blind playthrough looks like. But if you have some info going into these games you look really smart.

"Wow he knew the gimmick to that boss... so genius!"

Skii

I just finished the game and I don't really know how to feel... I guess I'm pretty dissatisfied.

I beat the two princes on my second try. It was far too easy. Interesting fight but doesn't really challenge you at all.

I assumed it wasn't the last boss so I place the cinders on the throne and travel to the Kiln of the first Flame. And then I fight Souls of Cinder (?) and beat him on my second try as well. I couldn't believe that was the final boss. Almost as disappointing as Nashandra.

Please tell me there is another ending with a lot more story development and the true final boss. PLEASE.

I had similar disappointment in Bloodborne when the finished the game with the
Wet Nurse but it immediately redeemed itself when I fought Gehrman and Moon Presence. I'm really hoping something similar happens here.

So yeah, I beat the Souls of Cinder, and call the Firekeeper which ends the game with her plunging the world into darkness... Absolutely no closure on the story at all.

In terms of secret areas, I found that Lake underneath the Catacombs and the Undead Grave behind the Ocieros boss. Is there any other areas of secret bosses I may have potentially missed? Hinting would be preferable as I still want the surprise.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just finished the game and I don't really know how to feel... I guess I'm pretty dissatisfied.

I beat the two princes on my second try. It was far too easy. Interesting fight but doesn't really challenge you at all.

I assumed it wasn't the last boss so I place the cinders on the throne and travel to the Kiln of the first Flame. And then I fight Souls of Cinder (?) and beat him on my second try as well. I couldn't believe that was the final boss. Almost as disappointing as Nashandra.

Please tell me there is another ending with a lot more story development and the true final boss. PLEASE.

Wet Nurse but it immediately redeemed itself when I fought Gehrman and Moon Presence. I'm really hoping something similar happens here.

So yeah, I beat the Souls of Cinder, and call the Firekeeper which ends the game with her plunging the world into darkness... Absolutely no closure on the story at all.

In terms of secret areas, I found that Lake underneath the Catacombs and the Undead Grave behind the Ocieros boss. Is there any other areas of secret bosses I may have potentially missed? Hinting would be preferable as I still want the surprise.

You missed an area hidden in the Irythil prison, which has the games real end boss.

Dahbomb

There's one more secret area and a boss.
Use the dragon gesture at that one spot in Irithyl Dungeon.

Also story resolution in a Souls game... AYYY LMAO!

Manu

Nope, that's the ending right there. Have you fought NK yet? He's the toughest boss in the game, and he's optional.

Ferr986

no new final boss,although the hardest boss is in an optional area you missed.

Skii

You missed an area hidden in the Irythil prison, which has the games real end boss.

There's one more secret area and a boss.
Use the dragon gesture at that one spot in Irithyl Dungeon.

Also story resolution in a Souls game... AYYY LMAO!

Really? YAY!

This is the final Souls game, the whole story has practically been built up to tell us how they truly link the fire or how they truly endure the darkness. My ending didn't indicate anything. Without spoiling, do any of the endings give real closure?

Top Bottom