• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

LiK

Really? YAY!

This is the final Souls game, the whole story has practically been built up to tell us how they truly link the fire or how they truly endure the darkness. My ending didn't indicate anything. Without spoiling, do any of the endings give real closure?

not really. same short shitty endings as previous games, imo. still got DLC to go tho so who knows.

Arjen

Really? YAY!

This is the final Souls game, the whole story has practically been built up to tell us how they truly link the fire or how they truly endure the darkness. My ending didn't indicate anything. Without spoiling, do any of the endings give real closure?
I think so.
There are 4 endings, 3 of them have similarities to yours. That should tell you where the world is headed

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just finished the game and I don't really know how to feel... I guess I'm pretty dissatisfied.

I beat the two princes on my second try. It was far too easy. Interesting fight but doesn't really challenge you at all.

I assumed it wasn't the last boss so I place the cinders on the throne and travel to the Kiln of the first Flame. And then I fight Souls of Cinder (?) and beat him on my second try as well. I couldn't believe that was the final boss. Almost as disappointing as Nashandra.
WTF?

I thought they were the hardest bosses of the game other than the optional one you missed. Retried them several times.

Wet Nurse, Gehrman and Moon Presence were wayyyyy easier. Gehrman was pretty cool (the others less so) but not really difficult, don't think he ever killed me.

Ferr986

Really? YAY!

No.

Man anyone can excel when they do their online research, watch some YT videos and/or have information given by From themselves.

I am not saying I would do better or anything but this is what an actual blind playthrough looks like. But if you have some info going into these games you look really smart.

"Wow he knew the gimmick to that boss... so genius!"

I played the game blind and I don't think I was as bad as ENB...especially at the Y
horm
fight omg I cringed, it hurt me how bad he was.

I just finished the game and I don't really know how to feel... I guess I'm pretty dissatisfied.

I beat the two princes on my second try. It was far too easy. Interesting fight but doesn't really challenge you at all.

I assumed it wasn't the last boss so I place the cinders on the throne and travel to the Kiln of the first Flame. And then I fight Souls of Cinder (?) and beat him on my second try as well. I couldn't believe that was the final boss. Almost as disappointing as Nashandra.

Please tell me there is another ending with a lot more story development and the true final boss. PLEASE.

I had similar disappointment in Bloodborne when the finished the game with the
Wet Nurse but it immediately redeemed itself when I fought Gehrman and Moon Presence. I'm really hoping something similar happens here.

So yeah, I beat the Souls of Cinder, and call the Firekeeper which ends the game with her plunging the world into darkness... Absolutely no closure on the story at all.

In terms of secret areas, I found that Lake underneath the Catacombs and the Undead Grave behind the Ocieros boss. Is there any other areas of secret bosses I may have potentially missed? Hinting would be preferable as I still want the surprise.

Any help is much appreciated :)

I hate you. So
ul of cinder
broke me down ruthlessly, you cheeky cunt :mad:.

Wait, you don't get in trouble for this? Isn't that a bit risky to get soft banned, maybe?

Backing up and rewriting your saves will not get you banned, From themselves even said players can do it(whether it's forever, or only during this time where the Dagger of Soul Giving plagues online play is unknown.) to be honest, I think the player receiving the rings is at a higher risk of being softbanned. That's just my take on it, so caution I rather not be responsible for anything :p

Vena

Please tell me there is another ending with a lot more story development and the true final boss. PLEASE.

Any help is much appreciated :)

There isn't. That's it. You can fight Nameless King for the hard secret boss but that's about it.

Wait for DLC.

Cinders is just way to passive for a final boss, you have days for healing and his caster mode is terrible and easily exploitable. His Gwyn mode lacks the raw ferocity of Gwyn even if he cannot be parried... and Gwyn was meant to be a tired old man, a more challenging True King Allant. Cinders is just a push-over for no good reason..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Really? YAY!

Of course not.

So the Firelink Greatsword is pretty deadly in confined spaces.

There isn't. That's it. You can fight Nameless King for the hard secret boss but that's about it.

Wait for DLC.

Cinders is just way to passive for a final boss, you have days for healing and his caster mode is terrible and easily exploitable. His Gwyn mode lacks the raw ferocity of Gwyn even if he cannot be parried... and Gwyn was meant to be a tired old man, a more challenging True King Allant. Cinders is just a push-over for no good reason..

S
oul
of C
inder
is passive? A pushover? I must have played a different game than you.

Some of you guys seem really jaded.

MilkBeard

S
oul
of C
inder

I like the Firelink Greatsword as well, it's one of my mains. Although, you have to be careful when to use the weapon art because people are expecting it now and will just walk around for an easy backstab if you use it carelessly. But if you can land a hit with it, it's an instant knockdown. Great for brawls when the fighting is hectic and people aren't paying attention to you.

Manu

S
oul
of C
inder

I don't think "jaded" is the right word in this case, but some people definitely seem to think that even after investing hundreds of hours in the series over half a decade, DS3 would still somehow be the hardest game of the bunch. There's no way to do that unless you make the game impenetrable for new players, and that just wasn't gonna happen.

Arjen

lol he definitely seemed stoned this time. Or maybe he was just running through so fast that he didn't take note of things properly.

The armor description is one thing, but how in the hell do you not know how that elevator works, even telling yourself, hey its just like the one with siegward.

MilkBeard

The armor description is one thing, but how in the hell do you not know how that elevator works, even telling yourself, hey its just like the one with siegward.

Yeah that was weird, because that same elevator style is in Bloodborne as well. Well, it's in the DLC which he didn't play. I think he was toking something this time.

Vena

S
oul
of C
inder

I mean, ya, he feels passive to me and I killed him in two tries, and almost had him dead in the first blind encounter but I didn't expect to get blown up by his grab. His
caster
mode is outright dumb because all he has are very slow, easy tell spells and he can barely do anything to you in close range. His Soul Stream casts leave him open for a full stamina bar of R1 spam. He's not as lethargic as
the Dancer

I wasn't expecting him to be some unbeatable god-monster. I actually liked the fight and the game as a whole, but I still thought it was easy. :p

Now
Dragonslayer Armor
was a good boss. Fast, aggressive, stupid FROM bullshit-design of enemies off screen but I enjoyed them for the mix-ups they added. It would also be best if I admitted that my opinion of FROMs boss design has progressively degraded since DS, and I think they have as many good designs, which they recycle to much, as they do absolute shit ones. So ya, I am jaded. :p

But my favorite fights were
Champion Gundyr
and
Nameless King
. The former is what I would have expected from
Cinders
, and reminded me a lot of Gwyn.

tariniel

Yes, sure. I meant the guy dropping the rings and then restoring his save to get them back.

From has said themselves to backup & restore save data in regards to the hackers getting people softbanned.

Backing up & restoring for item purposes is probably a grey area but unless your save shows clear tampering then I don't see how they could possibly do anything about it. I've done backups & restores when messing with respec's and getting multiple ending achievements in a single playthrough - and when I asked about that several people said doing so was fine.

I guess we'll see if someone gets banned for it. Until then no one really knows. The real question I have - if you're going to just cheat by having people give you items for your trophy, why even bother in the first place? Aren't getting trophies about putting in the work? I'm doing NG+ now for the rest of the rings & last ending, and plan to do NG++ for the rest of the rings too.

I don't think "jaded" is the right word in this case, but some people definitely seem to think that even after investing hundreds of hours in the series over half a decade, DS3 would still somehow be the hardest game of the bunch. There's no way to do that unless you make the game impenetrable for new players, and that just wasn't gonna happen.

Hit the nail on the head. This is my first Dark Souls game and it's plenty difficult. I've been playing games all my life and my first run through DS3 was horrific. If it weren't for jolly cooperation I probably would have quit at the Abyss Watchers. Now that I've played like 150 hours I'm able to beat the hardest bosses by myself, but it took a lot of learning.

I mean, ya, he feels passive to me and I killed him in two tries, and almost had him dead in the first blind encounter but I didn't expect to get blown up by his grab. His
caster
mode is outright dumb because all he has are very slow, easy tell spells and he can barely do anything to you in close range. His Soul Stream casts leave him open for a full stamina bar of R1 spam. He's not as lethargic as
the Dancer

I wasn't expecting him to be some unbeatable god-monster. I actually liked the fight and the game as a whole, but I still thought it was easy. :p

Now
Dragonslayer Armor
was a good boss. Fast, aggressive, stupid FROM bullshit-design of enemies off screen but I enjoyed them for the mix-ups they added. It would also be best if I admitted that my opinion of FROMs boss design has progressively degraded since DS, and I think they have as many good designs, which they recycle to much, as they do absolute shit ones. So ya, I am jaded. :p

But my favorite fights were
Champion Gundyr
and
Nameless King
. The former is what I would have expected from
Cinders
, and reminded me a lot of Gwyn.

Well that makes sense because it's heavily implied N
ameless King is Gwyn's firstborn
. Which is also why he's the strongest mofo in the game.

And yeah SoC's caster form is definitely the easiest one. When I was a Sunbro phantom I did see his soul stream kill a host though. Lol. His pyromancer form gave me the most trouble with his goddamn twirling sword attack that hits you even if you roll. And I lost count of how many hosts/phantoms died to his ultra combo in his 2nd phase. That's how you could really tell who had fought him before - the experienced players make a fucking break for it as soon as he pauses for the windup, while the ignorant ones think it's an opportunity to attack. Had many laughs at that part. :D

Champion might be my favorite too. Dat kick.

I like the Firelink Greatsword as well, it's one of my mains. Although, you have to be careful when to use the weapon art because people are expecting it now and will just walk around for an easy backstab if you use it carelessly. But if you can land a hit with it, it's an instant knockdown. Great for brawls when the fighting is hectic and people aren't paying attention to you.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I come across any gankers who use that sword. ;)

silva1991

lol he definitely seemed stoned this time. Or maybe he was just running through so fast that he didn't take note of things properly.

He also forgot about the bridge bonfire >.>

edt: why did that elevator go down instead of up? also there is another slab that I never knew about Oo

Neuro

So am planning to pick this one up shortly after wrapping up my conquest of old hunters...just wanted to know are any of the boss fights as memorable/difficult as the old hunters?

Meccs

I guess we'll see if someone gets banned for it. Until then no one really knows. The real question I have - if you're going to just cheat by having people give you items for your trophy, why even bother in the first place? Aren't getting trophies about putting in the work? I'm doing NG+ now for the rest of the rings & last ending, and plan to do NG++ for the rest of the rings too.
I would guess it's for twinking a character. For PvP reasons.

Dommel

That would also explain why he didn't use the D
ragonslayer
A
rmour
bonfire instead of running through half of Lothric Castle every time to get back to that elevator.

Ran past it a bunch of times as well.

JDB

Banned
Also second chance seems really OP. Had to laugh at him calling the boss easy even though he had to use second chance twice in the first phase.

Meccs

What is "panic rolling" and why is it bad? When you are too close and need to heal and start to roll away? Or after a riposte? What would be the better way?

Tarkus

He probably smokes that stank dank. You know, the kind you have to smoke in a bowl because the resin won't stay lit in a joint.

I don't smoke. That was my attempt to sound cool

JDB

Banned
What is "panic rolling" and why is it bad? When you are too close and need to heal and start to roll away? Or after a riposte? What would be the better way?
Quickly rolling away without really timing it with the enemy's attacks.

silva1991

So am planning to pick this one up shortly after wrapping up my conquest of old hunters...just wanted to know are any of the boss fights as memorable/difficult as the old hunters?

Nothing in this game is as hard as Ludwig and Orphan imo, but many of them harder than anything in the past games other than Fume Knight.

Skii

Well I defeated
Nameless King on my
4th try lol. I don't know if Broadsword is OP or something but these bosses are just too passive on a lot of their movesets. He was definitely the hardest of the final 3 bosses because his attack charge up times were a bit weird and his
drake killed me once with his stupid fire breath hitting me twice in one breath
. He's top 3 DS3 bosses for sure.
Pontiff Suliyvan
was easily the hardest. After my first try, I thought I was meant to do something to make him easier but it turns out he was just that hard.

I fought
Havel and that was pretty fun. I couldn't even get one backstab on him.

Finished my play session but I'll check what's ahead of
the boss room and then I need to find Farron's Mausoleum to meet Hawkwood for something? I don't even know where that is lol.

Other than that, any know where to find
Ornstein and Havel's armor? I've seen people running around wearing them and I'd like to as well

not really. same short shitty endings as previous games, imo. still got DLC to go tho so who knows.

Eh, oh well. Shouldn't really need DLC to get a proper conclusion on the game lol.

WTF?

I thought they were the hardest bosses of the game other than the optional one you missed. Retried them several times.

Wet Nurse, Gehrman and Moon Presence were wayyyyy easier. Gehrman was pretty cool (the others less so) but not really difficult, don't think he ever killed me.

Oh, I never meant Wet Nurse and Moon Presence were hard. It was just that there was essentially 3 consecutive boss fights at the end of the game with the true ending which makes it a lot more satisfying than the two princes and the Lord Souls. I think the problem is also the fact that you fight Gehrman which makes the ending have a lot more gravitas whilst I couldn't really care for the Lord Souls.

Gehrman definitely killed me a few times. Maybe even 5. Really good boss. But I always seem to struggle on the unconventional bosses (like Blood starved Beast) whilst I beat Logarius and Ebrietas first time xD.

I hate you. So
ul of cinder
broke me down ruthlessly, you cheeky cunt :mad:.

I guess it depends on your weapons as well. Some weapons just struggle against certain enemies.

Wait for DLC.

Yeah, he's ridiculously passive. He's just slow walking around whilst I pop off heals lol. Only real problem is
when he juggles you like Manus

LiK

Eh, oh well. Shouldn't really need DLC to get a proper conclusion on the game lol.
]

i know, but i'm hoping they expand on some parts of the lore i feel are still unanswered. they did with previous DLCs for past games so here's hoping!

Tarkus

So at PvP SL 120, the most common weapon by a good margin is..........

The fookin regular Glaive! It's everywhere!

Skii

This might be farfetched but could the
Nameless King be Gwyn's first born? He's a God of War. Maybe that's why he was exiled for joining the Archdragons?

Farron Mausoleum is just the place where you fought Farron Undead Legion.

Oh thanks. Can't believe we finally get
a crestfallen who isn't completely useless

I don't know how anyone enjoys invading.

I'm trying to get pale tongues and literally every single invasion has been me getting ganged up on. Usually the host runs away and has the phantoms attack me.

Tarkus

I don't know how anyone enjoys invading.

I'm trying to get pale tongues and literally every single invasion has been me getting ganged up on. Usually the host runs away and has the phantoms attack me.
Then do some dueling with a red sign. You get the same pale tongue in an honorable 1v1.

Top Bottom