• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Vena

I've come to the conclusion that I do not like Carthus Curved Sword for PvE. Its animations are too slow compared to just about any straight sword.

silva1991

I was helping someone ganking invaders and suddenly knight Hodrick invaded us in the read of sacrifice and one shot me

the fuck is that all about

he also took next to no damage from back stabs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was helping someone ganking invaders
You mean helping questers? If you were camping around for invaders then shame on you.
and suddenly knight Hodrick invaded us in the read of sacrifice and one shot me

Was he summoned as a mad phantom? If not, then it wasn't an NPC but a player cosplaying him I guess.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Well, nearly all greatswords (only FUGS is the exception where it will scale to S Strength at max level with no infusion required, IIRC), and in fact, a great number of all weapons in Dark Souls 3, benefit mostly from a quality build (STR and DEX raised equally) and you can even up the scaling even further by using refined. Knights are well positioned for a good quality build considering their starting stats.

In general a great deal of weapons reached their highest damage rating with a refined gem (like Dark Sword). If you go pure strength, use Heavy on your weapons (weapons like Great Axe benefits greatly from this). Although some weapons are better left untouched... it's really just experiment about counting numbers (you can do it yourself by adding the numbers on the screen before infusing and see how the numbers compare before and after infusion)

For straight swords, greatswords, and ultra greatswords (FUGS is the sole exception), refined is the way to go if you want max damage.

Thanks for the advice :) I haven't really leveled my DEX at all now that I think about it.

I was helping someone ganking invaders and suddenly knight Hodrick invaded us in the read of sacrifice and one shot me

Probably your host thought he was summoning another victim of your ganking spree and he was actually an NPC.

At that point of the game knight Hodrick is vicious, way more stronger than any other foe in the forrest.

Sarcasm

Is it worth it to get the loot in the cave in the toxic swamp in profound capital? This is on the other side of the hand hippo church and bone spider things that sound like cats in heat.

Is it worth it to get the loot in the cave in the toxic swamp in profound capital? This is on the other side of the hand hippo church and bone spider things that sound like cats in heat.

If I remember right, there isn't any spells, armor, weapon or ring there.

I think one item is a poison gem and some other minor stuff.

Frankly don't remember, I think there is a tome on the roof or drop down from the roof.

silva1991

You mean helping questers? If you were camping around for invaders then shame on you.

I just put my white sign and helped the host. we were invaded by another 20 gankers too so it was a fair game ;)

Probably your host thought he was summoning another victim of your ganking spree and he was actually an NPC.

At that point of the game knight Hodrick is vicious, way more stronger than any other foe in the forrest.

host was probably on NG+4 or more

that Hodrick was as tough as that guy from Sirris quest.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just put my white sign and helped the host. we were invaded by another 20 gankers too so it was a fair game ;)
Okay fair enough. It's just your phrasing that made me wonder. I don't consider it ganking to fight off invaders when you are playing normally, only when you are camping around waiting for invaders and try to, well, gank them. :)

I feel like 2-handed and no shield isn't as rewarding in this game as in previous games. Unless you have around 30 Vitality, enemies will start easily killing you in 1-2 hits at the castle, and the enemies in general are much faster and more aggressive than in the first game, while the player isn't. Also them breaking out of stunlock to use an attack that has hyper armor/ hyper poise/ whatever and dealing massive counterattack damage to you.

So I've been having trouble with the PC version of DS3 where my keep just freezes for a couple seconds and It's been causing trouble for me, and I just heard that it was a bug? But i've been playing today and I think it wasn't really happening but i dunno if the problem was fixed.

Also I wanted to start a faith build but i heard faith is garbage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I feel like 2-handed and no shield isn't as rewarding in this game as in previous games. Unless you have around 30 Vitality, enemies will start easily killing you in 1-2 hits at the castle, and the enemies in general are much faster and more aggressive than in the first game, while the player isn't. Also them breaking out of stunlock to use an attack that has hyper armor/ hyper poise/ whatever and dealing massive counterattack damage to you.

That's why if you want to 2-hand something might as well use the biggest thing that is like Greatsword or Fume or Greataxe. I've been using them to great effect, especially the latter two. Fume's charged R2 is *realllllly* ace: humongous range, and it knocks out almost everything instantly, making a joke of the knights/red-eyed knights.

So I've been having trouble with the PC version of DS3 where my keep just freezes for a couple seconds and It's been causing trouble for me, and I just heard that it was a bug? But i've been playing today and I think it wasn't really happening but i dunno if the problem was fixed.

The latest patch has been known to cause heavy stutters in PC.

Also, faith is garbage insofar if you expect to use them as an offensive tool. Use it as support mainly and some of the spells can help you (and others playing with you) greatly.

That's why if you want to 2-hand something might as well use the biggest thing that is like Greatsword or Fume or Greataxe. I've been using them to great effect, especially the latter two. Fume's charged R2 is *realllllly* ace: humongous range, and it knocks out almost everything instantly, making a joke of the knights/red-eyed knights.

The latest patch has been known to cause heavy stutters in PC.

Also, faith is garbage insofar if you expect to use them as an offensive tool. Use it as support mainly and some of the spells can help you (and others playing with you) greatly.

Thats upsetting, i wanted to shoot lighting out of my hands.

zma1013

They've removed the problem patch, you shouldn't be getting any long freezing stutters. The only ones you should be experiencing are smaller loading stutters when crossing certain loading lines or accessing the menu. This is as it was since launch.

They've removed the problem patch, you shouldn't be getting and long freezing stutters. The only ones you should be experiencing are smaller loading stutters when crossing certain loading lines or accessing the menu. This is as it was since launch.

Yeah i think i noticed that today, i dont THINK i was getting a lot today but most of that was me fighting a boss that was giving me a shit load of trouble...yeah i dont think i got any stuttering at all during that fight.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thats upsetting, i wanted to shoot lighting out of my hands.

Well... like, for example, the strongest lighting shooting spell that you can get is from the last boss. Moreover, lightning-shooting spells do greater damage the closer you are to the target, so it's a bit funny that way.

That said there are ways if you want to raise an offensive minded Faith character, but not through spells, but through weapons. Some of the weapons that scale with Faith can be highly devastating, and with if you infuse Lightning gems to certain weapons you can cause massive damage with your high faith--although, important to be noted, you can't find Lightning Gems until much later into the game, and those weapons I mentioned are largely end-game material as well, so yeah.

So, support: there are a good number of support Miracles in this game that will make your life a lot easier than otherwise, such as the various healing spell or buff spells or spell that will save you from death with 1 hp per cast, which can be valuable in many situations.

Well... like, for example, the strongest lighting shooting spell that you can get is from the last boss. Moreover, lightning-shooting spells do greater damage the closer you are to the target, so it's a bit funny that way.

That said there are ways if you want to raise an offensive minded Faith character, but not through spells, but through weapons. Some of the weapons that scale with Faith can be highly devastating, and with if you infuse Lightning gems to certain weapons you can cause massive damage with your high faith--although, important to be noted, you can't find Lightning Gems until much later into the game, and those weapons I mentioned are largely end-game material as well, so yeah.

I saw a video where the dude is just Joseph Joestar, i wanted to do that.

Concords are breaking me, but almost halfway there. I got 8 today, will probably try tomorrow for some more. Hopefully I'll be able to start NG+ by the weekend.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Concords are breaking me, but almost halfway there. I got 8 today, will probably try tomorrow for some more. Hopefully I'll be able to start NG+ by the weekend.

Easily the most boring shit I've ever done in this game.

Equipping Golden Covetous Ring+2, Helm of Avarice, left-hand with Crystal Sage and right-hand with my preferred weapon. Crushing coins every two runs killing two Silver Knights.

It's bad, although admittedly not that bad.

Meccs

Here's a perfect example of panic rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrYjGhb8pvY

It's the N
ameless
K
ing fight
. So if you fought that boss, watch away :p.
Yeah, I'm a panic roller sometimes. Especially in PvP. If you have just a tiny bit of health, it's really hard to get away. I've never figured it out. They just hold on to the sprint button and catch you. I also often times think "I didn't press that button two times, why did I swing two times?" or same with roll. I must be button mashing without noticing... it's really annoying.

I've been doing the same recently! For a while I was the one invading, now I wanted to have the real fun by helping the host. The peak is definitely the best spot for this with invaders coming in every second. A lot of times each summon has to solo every incoming invader, making it a 1v1 type of deal. I was on a roll until some dude with twin blades, buffed with lightning one-shotted me. Wish I knew what he was equipped with.

Dark Sword is unmatched in the DPS category in straight swords, particularly if you go 40/40 with a refined version.

I'm gonna try it out. I went with the Astora sword after switching to a quality build and haven't looked back.

Dahbomb

Yeah Faiths pretty bad outside of support stuff.

I heard Sorcery/Pyromancy is pretty good very late game but struggles early game. But I don't play magic nonsense in these games outside of some lulz so I am not the one to talk.

I'm excited to see if ENB figured out the elevator in the next ep.

I only saw a bit of Ep. 37 after a lot of the hype, but based on where he was last time do you mean
*that* elevator in Grand Cathedral which leads to a door you need to open? That one got me, lol. Or that elevator beside Prince Lothric boss room?

LiK

I only saw a bit of Ep. 37 after a lot of the hype, but based on where he was last time do you mean
*that* elevator in Grand Cathedral which leads to a door you need to open? That one got me, lol. Or that elevator beside Prince Lothric boss room?

Watch the last 5 minutes of the latest Ep. Then you'll understand.

Ferr986

Nah, lightning spears etc were pretty OP in Vanilla DkS2. I literally destroyed all the bosses and enemies with a faith build in NG+. Dunno if Scholars changed that.

They got nerfed hard a couple of months after release (before SOTFS).

Yeah Faiths pretty bad outside of support stuff.

I heard Sorcery/Pyromancy is pretty good very late game but struggles early game. But I don't play magic nonsense in these games outside of some lulz so I am not the one to talk.

Piromancy turns good relatively early, when you reach the Lake and get the Chaos Fireball.

Easily the most boring shit I've ever done in this game.

Equipping Golden Covetous Ring+2, Helm of Avarice, left-hand with Crystal Sage and right-hand with my preferred weapon. Crushing coins every two runs killing two Silver Knights.

It's bad, although admittedly not that bad.
I've been farming covenant rewards in NG, is it worth waiting until NG++ for the +2 ring? I'm already using Crystal Rapier, Symbol of Avarice and regular Gold ring.

DS2 had some asshole-ish grinding for covenants, but the drops rates in DS3 seem, just mean tbh. Like every item is sub-Channeler's Trident in terms of drop rate. Urgh.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Spent a long night of PvP with my new sword & board character in the Crucifixtion Woods. It can get absolutely insane in there. Much fun was had. Heavy Dark Sword is pretty beastly.

silva1991

Some host was hiding in my last invasion and red phantom and I killed like 5 darkmoon members and the host never showed up to help them

this is sad because the poor guys were probably waiting for ages for this to get covenant items

I returned to my world after another 10mins of searching for him/her.

Deku Tree

How do I deal with those crazy jumping enemies in F
aron Kee
p they hit super hard?
And how do I keep from going crazy and blowing up on the other side of Faron Keep
?

Meccs

How much Endurance do you guys have at lower levels for melee builds? My new character is currently SL65 and I think I try to finish the game at SL69. I don't really see the need for going over 20 at the moment (with Ring of Favor). I usually use the BKG and the Carthus Curved sword but even with a UGS I can do two 2H swings and dodge which seem to be enough for PvP. My other characters at that level had like 25 or something which works of course a bit better for PvE but you shouldn't unload in PvP anyway. What do you think?

How much Endurance do you guys have at lower levels for melee builds? My new character is currently SL65 and I think I try to finish the game at SL69. I don't really see the need for going over 20 at the moment (with Ring of Favor). I usually use the BKG and the Carthus Curved sword but even with a UGS I can do two 2H swings and dodge which seem to be enough for PvP. My other characters at that level had like 25 or something which works of course a bit better for PvE but you shouldn't unload in PvP anyway. What do you think?

IMO for UGS and other heavy weapons, you really need a lot of endurance. Having 20 limits your gameplay greatly and makes you more vulnerable. You probably can't do 2 R2 thow handed attacks and still have enough stamina (dependind on which UGS, but I'd say is highly likely), on in other similar scenarios.

That said, if you don't plan to go that high and want to stay in low range for PVP (75 or so), is not worth it and better stay around 20. Because a few more points won't make a real diference. I'm talking about getting like 35+ endurance or so.

Meccs

Anyone able to hook me up with all the rings somehow? Online now.
So people do the ring gifting grey area thing? Seems more common than I thought. Still hesitant a bit... anyone on PC that would do "the thing"?

IMO for UGS and other heavy weapons, you really need a lot of endurance. Having 20 limits your gameplay greatly and makes you more vulnerable. You probably can't do 2 R2 thow handed attacks and still have enough stamina (dependind on which UGS, but I'd say is highly likely), on in other similar scenarios.

That said, if you don't plan to go that high and want to stay in low range for PVP (75 or so), is not worth it and better stay around 20. Because a few more points won't make a real diference. I'm talking about getting like 35+ endurance or so.
Yeah, I'll leave it at 20 and see how it goes. 20 is enough for the BKG and Carthus Curved combo.

Ferr986

For the Carthus 20 feels enough for me too. My SL 50 and 80 have 18 and 20 end.

Meccs

For the Carthus 20 feels enough for me too. My SL 50 and 80 have 18 and 20 end.
Yeah, even for the Black Knight Glaive it's enough to do the R2, R1, L2, R2 combo if you have the Ring of Favor equipped. I could always respec. Might even stay at SL65 now.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
These frost knights or whatever in IoBV are making me really wish I used shields.

Skii

Yeah invading is fucking awful.

It's just me vs 4 people 99% of the time. I don't know how if there's a way to make it 1v1. But it is literally impossible for me to cope vs 4 people. I can barely play against one lol.

I really was looking forward to some PVP as well. Oh well.

Top Bottom