• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

SerTapTap

Now where would I go about finding me one of them "coincidentally turning on the PS4 when you need a game to be downloaded" wives?

lol I have to do that whenever I play Hotline Miami 2. The soundmix on that game is out of control... in a good way, but I still have to make sure I don't drive the neighbors crazy.

Rest Mode downloads stuff automatically, I once started a download from the PC and heard the PS4 spin up to download within seconds, awesome stuff.

The OST is pretty bass-heavy. Good reason to play with headphones or a proper sound system vs TV/Vita speakers. It's so good in the car. I also think the title screen track is a bit louder than most, I can see how that'd be annoying.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Now where would I go about finding me one of them "coincidentally turning on the PS4 when you need a game to be downloaded" wives?

lol I have to do that whenever I play Hotline Miami 2. The soundmix on that game is out of control... in a good way, but I still have to make sure I don't drive the neighbors crazy.

Lol! Yeah, she's a huge gamer, so she's often either playing on the PS4, or the PC. She is currently obsessed with Minecraft. One of the benefits of having a gamer wife is that she will often install any updates, or download stuff for me while I'm at work, so it's ready when I get home.

The downside of having a gamer spouse is that we have to battle over the PS4. I really need to get her her own. I'm waiting for a good deal/bundle with something I know she'll play.

Axiom Verge is apparently downloaded to my system, so I'm good to go when I get home! Looking forward to it!

nynt9

I just bought it and downloaded it to my PS4, not through the magic of gaming waifus but through leaving my PS4 in rest mode anticipating this moment. Now I'm counting the hours until work is over!

system11

Decided to screw SCEE and my PS+ discount and grabbed it from the US store half an hour ago.

This .. is a wonderful game. I may be gone a while.

JBoc924

Neo Member
So ready for this! Bloodborne will have to take a break for a little while. Will be playing this and continuing my Metroid Prime 2 Echoes playthrough. Perfect combination.

Kyuur

Sitting on the title screen listening to the theme music for the next 2 hours until I'm done with work. Can't wait!

Just played for two straight hours....it feels amazing. I went in nearly blind, only seeing a few screenshots. I just got to the third boss
the huge guy who is in much of the marketing
and had so much fun with him. Absolutely LOVE the items so far. This is Metroid plus so much more, someone finally got it right.

This game is really loud for some reason. I usually have my TV's volume on 10 for PS4 games, but had to crank it down to 7 for this game.

Good game, though. I currently have no idea where I am or where to go, which is nice. It's weird, though, because it seems like I keep accidentally stumbling in the right direction. Whenever the path branches, I usually like to go the "wrong" way first, get whatever collectible I can, then come back and go the "right" way... but I keep taking the "right" way somehow, and then by the time I realize it was the "right" way, I'm too far in to turn back and try the other way.

I love how I'm making use of all three guns I've gotten so far. You can't just rely on the standard blaster in this game. Well, I mean, I suppose you could, but that would just make it a lot harder than it needs to be. You're much safer if you take it slow and pick off enemies from where they can't get you.

I really hate some of the enemies, though. There are a few who just freak out and start moving really fast when they spot you, and I'm not really sure if there's any way to kill them without getting hit. Then there are the zoomer-like dudes who shoot lasers out of their heads.

drotahorror

Turn the volume down on your TV?

With the way my sound system is setup I have to adjust different volumes on a couple of devices. It's just a nuisance.

How about, Just add volume sliders to the game? (like 99% of most games made now)

The volume I have my devices set at is perfect for most blu rays, TV shows, satellite TV, most games (w/o adjusting their ingame sound), music albums, etc.

I told myself that I was not going to buy anything this week.

I am a bad person, this game was completely off my radar.

Cool OT, I purchased the game.

SerTapTap

I really hate some of the enemies, though. There are a few who just freak out and start moving really fast when they spot you, and I'm not really sure if there's any way to kill them without getting hit. Then there are the zoomer-like dudes who shoot lasers out of their heads.

Use the Address Disruptor liberally if you find you're having too much trouble, it might yield interesting results. There are three ways to handle enemies: Run, Glitch, Kill. Which is the best in any given situation depends on the enemy and your current gear.

Eh, gonna have to wait for the Vita version as amazing as this looks.Just cant play these games on the big screen.

That's actually a pretty common sentiment around here. The review thread was all the same.

I'll be waiting as long as it takes. I bought the game so those sales will show for Tom, but as far as I'm concerned the game isn't out yet.

Schlep

Tom Happ now has my money. Gonna go grab the dog from the groomer, pick up an energy drink, and see how fast 2AM gets here.

Many of the definitive Metroidvania titles were on handhelds though: Metroid 2, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, pretty much every Castlevania Metroidvania other than 2 & SotN...

Tremis

This man does his research.
Annoying that this is not only playstation exclusive but PS4. We don't all have an extra 400$ console with 1 AAA game (Bloodborne) worth buying right now.

Guess I'll buy it on sale on steam as some point.. Love to drop 20$ on it now though.

Annoying that this is not only playstation exclusive but PS4. We don't all have an extra 400$ console with 1 AAA game (Bloodborne) worth buying right now.

Really doesn't make any sense to make a PS3 game at this point unless you already have a PS3 engine completed from a previous game. Tons of people own a PS3 but the percentage of PS3 owners that are actually buying new games off the PSN is much smaller than it once was and just getting smaller every day.

Game's still coming out for PC & Vita later this year so just be patient.

grendelrt

With the way my sound system is setup I have to adjust different volumes on a couple of devices. It's just a nuisance.

How about, Just add volume sliders to the game? (like 99% of most games made now)

The volume I have my devices set at is perfect for most blu rays, TV shows, satellite TV, most games (w/o adjusting their ingame sound), music albums, etc.

The bass is nuts too, i had to turn my buttkicker amp all the way down along with the volume.

Just bought the game, but now have to wait to play it since my PS4 is restoring (upgrading to a 2TB drive). Am really looking forward to playing it though.

Many of the definitive Metroidvania titles were on handhelds though: Metroid 2, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, pretty much every Castlevania Metroidvania other than 2 & SotN...

This is how I feel. I simply cannot play this kind of game on a television, as eager as I am to do so. Literally the only Metroidvania I didn't play on a handheld was Super Metroid. It's an integral part of my experience to play it at arm's length.

I don't understand the opinion at all - I feel it actually cheapens this type of gaming when people prefer to see them relegated to small screens and uncomfortable controls.

How are the controls uncomfortable? They're exactly the same. And people can make the same argument that a 2D pixel game is a waste of their forty inch HDTV.

This is an argument of preference. Many fans of the genre consider it inextricable from handhelds. That's just how it is.

I just got the
lab coat after beating the third boss
and I have absolutely no idea where to go. Every potential path has either been a dead end or had a jump I just can't reach. I assume I just missed something? I can't even get back to some of the earlier areas to explore.

SerTapTap

Son of a. Could someone with a full map of Eribu (purple dot on map screen means full) please PM me/link an image? I thought I was done...not quite. A few of these are crazy well hidden. 99%... (edit: Got it! thanks Penguin nerd!)

I just got the
lab coat after beating the third boss
and I have absolutely no idea where to go. Every potential path has either been a dead end or had a jump I just can't reach. I assume I just missed something? I can't even get back to some of the earlier areas to explore.

Think about what you just got. Look for rooms where you can apply that ability. You shouldn't have to stray too far to find applications.
Kur, at the top of the currently available map you should be able to phase through a wall

Son of a. Could someone with a full map of Eribu (purple dot on map screen means full) please PM me/link an image? I thought I was done...not quite. A few of these are crazy well hidden. 99%...

Think about what you just got. Look for rooms where you can apply that ability. You shouldn't have to stray too far to find applications.
Kur, at the top of the currently available map you should be able to phase through a wall

I did that. The area past there was a dead end. But it actually wasn't, thinking about it right now. Thanks.

Guess I'll buy it on sale on steam as some point.. Love to drop 20$ on it now though.
I would buy a 3ds port, but i guess ill have to Settle with pc version.

Aeana

Honestly, it's not just that the sound is really loud, it's so loud that it seems to be peaking which creates a really gross distortion effect. I feel like my speakers are being damaged even if I turn the volume down. Perhaps that's just the effect they're going for, but it makes me uncomfortable. Not a fan.

DryvBy

For the price, I was very much not going to buy it. Then I did. And I have no regrets.

If you're like me and think NES-clones are the dumbest form of indie because they're always done bad, then I can assure you this is a legit GOOD NES-clone. No, excellent is a better word. This is something that actually feels like it was ripped from a cart and put into ROM format.

Straight up good Metroid-clone and good indie title. $20 is half-off of what I would have had my dad spend on an NES title back of the day. Do it.

Honestly, it's not just that the sound is really loud, it's so loud that it seems to be peaking which creates a really gross distortion effect. I feel like my speakers are being damaged even if I turn the volume down. Perhaps that's just the effect they're going for, but it makes me uncomfortable. Not a fan.

Weird. I am not getting that at all and I have a legit home theater system. I know some games I've had to restart (and movies) because my receiver for some reason would kick everything to the sub as a primary speaker. Have you restarted your system?

SerTapTap

There IS a bug where the death noise is occasionally distorted and staticy and too loud, other than that I haven't really noticed anything I would call unusual. It's definitely a bit louder than average though, especially the title screen. Maybe because it uses a pretty wide dynamic range for the music?

The game is incredible. It nails that "how I remember the old game" feeling, rather than the reality when you go back to an old game and realize your imagination had embellished it. It absolutely caters to nostalgia, but in a thoughtful and precise way. It makes me feel all the wonder and mystery I experienced with the first Metroid when I was 7.

The game is incredible. It nails that "how I remember the old game" feeling, rather than the reality when you go back to an old game and realize your imagination had embellished it. It absolutely caters to nostalgia, but in a thoughtful and precise way. It makes me feel all the wonder and mystery I experienced with the first Metroid when I was 7.

Sounds like Shovel Knight. Damn I can't wait to play this.

Top Bottom