• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Damn, thinking about picking this up, but I just started Bloodborne. Might pick it up anyways and play it when I am done with BB. Looks fantastic!

system11

Quite surprised by all the comments on the sound level - are you running it through cinema systems? I turned my TV down by 1 on the 'dial' and it was fine, usually for indie I have to crank it up by 7 compared to retail titles (never understood this).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
4 hours in and it's probably the best Metroidvania game I've played since....IDK, Shadow Complex? Just feels really good with great music/ambiance, interesting use of the environment, and a good pace to the upgrades. Bosses are fun as well. And the way everything explodes is really satisfying- like Resogun voxels tier satisfying.

Good stuff.
Honestly, the visuals help elevate it for me. I loved Shadow Complex but the game is stuck on Xbox 360 where it will always run at 30 fps with slowdown and tearing. That really hurts a game as it ages, I feel. Axiom Verge has a beautiful aesthetic and runs at a completely stable frame-rate which is critical. So even if I feel the two games are on a similar level of quality, I'd give the nod to Axiom for avoiding performance pitfalls.

I've ran into a couple of places I've had to exit out of because I was stuck and couldn't get out. I have 1 jump upgrade but both places I couldn't jump out of were both just out of my reach. I feel like I missed something along the way. I didn't completely explore the early stages because I assumed I could get right back whenever but I passed that spot where I need more upgrades to make the leap back (that room with the steam).

The EU PS+ discount is being dealt with, Dan Adelman tweeted.

@Dan_Adelman: Hello Europe! Apparently the 10% off discount for PS+ users isn't showing up. I've contacted @PlayStationEU and asked them to rectify ASAP.

Number45

How is it out before the store updated anyway?
A lot of the content is up early in the morning now, they just don't schedule the blog post until 15:00 (and discounts often don't get applied until later in the day). As I have no idea what's due this week (aside from Axiom Verge) I can't check to see if anything else is up.

A lot of the content is up early in the morning now, they just don't schedule the blog post until 15:00 (and discounts often don't get applied until later in the day). As I have no idea what's due this week (aside from Axiom Verge) I can't check to see if anything else is up.

Seems to be quite a bit of other new content this week: a couple of baseball games, Whoa Dave!, Anna, Paranormal Pursuit and Syberia 2. Whoa Dave has a PS+ 100% discount, but none of the others do.

Kensuke

Just got the platinum! Weird thing is that according to the trophy list 0.0% people have gotten it, I guess that server doesn´t update right away. The only hard trophies are getting 100% in items and map. So many stuff is deviously hidden.

What a great game. Don't know if I'll get all the endings. I think I've put enough hours into this game.

How does that work if you've (like me) brought the game without the discount being applied.

Take it up with Sony support later after the discount is live and they'll probably refund £1.50 onto your account.

Just got the platinum! Weird thing is that according to the trophy list 0.0% people have gotten it, I guess that server doesn´t update right away. The only hard trophies are getting 100% in items and map. So many stuff is deviously hidden.

What a great game. Don't know if I'll get all the endings. I think I've put enough hours into this game.

Or the number of people who have the trophy is closer to 0.0% than it is to 0.1%? For instance, if fewer than 1 in 300 people have the trophy then it should in theory be showing as 0.0% calculated to one decimal place.

Axiom

I'm glad my PAL's are getting to enjoy my game now.

While I'll never be able to search my own name on the forum again, I'm really excited to finally play this.

Fasty

Will be buying it for Vita the moment it's released primarily for something to play while I listen to the soundtrack. Incredible stuff.

LogicStep

Played for like 20 mins last night, fell in love instantly. I never played Metroid or castlevania, after this game I will correct that. My young self would have had an amazing time playing a game like this back then.

I like that the laser drill uses analog. Little things like that.

I'm just scratching the surface and I'm sold. This is the real deal.

Remote Play on the Vita actually plays pretty well (the 60fps update is fantastic), it's acceptable for the most part other than R2.

Ocaso

I bought this last night based on all the positive reviews, but with some trepidation because all too often games like this don't nail the pathfinding elements. An hour of playtime later, and I'm very impressed. The developer seems to truly get what it means to make a pathfinding game in the spirit of Metroid, and I rarely get to say that. I don't expect to comment here much until I'm deeper in the game (don't want to be spoiled), but first impressions are very good up to this point.

Played for like 20 mins last night, fell in love instantly. I never played Metroid or castlevania, after this game I will correct that. My young self would have had an amazing time playing a game like this back then.
Castlevania is unique in that some games are about exploration while others are linear.
All of them do not play like this game though since you use swords/whips/daggers as weapons.

Really Metroidvania is used for any game with exploration elements, which can apply to many, many games. Myself I hate the term because any game with exploration and a map screen in 2D is Metroidvania. But yeah this is purely for those that like Metroid.

Kensuke

Or the number of people who have the trophy is closer to 0.0% than it is to 0.1%? For instance, if fewer than 1 in 300 people have the trophy then it should in theory be showing as 0.0% calculated to one decimal place.

Didn't think about that, that's also a possibility. :)

1 in 300 is 0.333[...]%, rounded to 0.3%. Anything greater than 0.05% would be rounded to 0.1%, so you can assume less than that (less than 1 in 2000 people) got that achievement.
/pedantic

Ocaso

Really Metroidvania is used for any game with exploration elements, which can apply to many, many games. Myself I hate the term because any game with exploration and a map screen in 2D is Metroidvania. But yeah this is purely for those that like Metroid.

Metroidvania is used for any game with upgrades and an interconnected map. While those are elements of Metroid, they are not THE defining trait, which is why the term has become rather meaningless.

Only 7 pages? This game isn't getting the attention it deserves. People are missing out.

It has only just been released here in the UK just now. Not getting it til the PS+ discount is showing up.
Been following the development of the game for a while now and really happy that it has lived up to the hype [according to the reviews and player reaction so far].

SerTapTap

So glad to finally read impressions. Good to see the game's already blowing minds. If you love the first hour just known you have seen nothing at all.

I bought this last night based on all the positive reviews, but with some trepidation because all too often games like this don't nail the pathfinding elements. An hour of playtime later, and I'm very impressed. The developer seems to truly get what it means to make a pathfinding game in the spirit of Metroid, and I rarely get to say that. I don't expect to comment here much until I'm deeper in the game (don't want to be spoiled), but first impressions are very good up to this point.

This is a game you really can't judge by the cover. It's hard to discuss why without spoilers, but this is way, WAY beyond "retro 2D platformer" and should absolutely not be slept on. Tom absolutely understands what he's doing.

Are there endings beyond
having more/less than 85% completion? That's the only cutoff I noticed, I think

Is it possible to become helplessly stuck in this?

I "glitched" into here with the lab coat:
http://imgur.com/l6um981
And there seems to be no way out

Hm, I was about to tell someone it's not possible to actually get stuck, I guess that is one case where you can with certain combos of upgrades. If all else fails you can save and quit and you'll be back at a save point. But some things are deliberate one-ways early on and will be more open later. If you're not like literally stuck in a wall you're probably safe and just missing something.

Just got to the fourth boss and have absolutely no clue how to fight this thing.
I get one shot off on the face and he closes it and from than one i can't do any damage with any weapons I've tried. I managed to do some by jumping into him and using the electric waves but without taking 25% of my health I can't hurt him.

Boss spoiler:
Nova is the intended way, but you can bum-rush it with Kilver if you're feeling daring. IF you don't die it's much faster.

Okay, I've got the first (I think) five weapons -
the purple Nova, red Axiom Disruptor, blue Multi-Disruptor green Kilver and the drill
- and have explored the crap out of both regions of the map available so far, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go next. I must be missing a wall I can destroy or something.

Any tips?

If you are where I think you are, explore your drill more. The walls lie. Pay close attention and be suspicious of what you see.

heybrian

Neo Member
This is fantastic, love the music and how everything looks like it's made from blocks (ala Super Metroid). Last night I think I broke sequence as I beat a boss but didn't have the equipment to get their item, which should be frustrating but I think it's just cool they'd let that happen.

SerTapTap

This is fantastic, love the music and how everything looks like it's made from blocks (ala Super Metroid). Last night I think I broke sequence as I beat a boss but didn't have the equipment to get their item, which should be frustrating but I think it's just cool they'd let that happen.

Details in a spoiler block? I've been interested in sequence breaks. Though if it's the one I'm thinking of...you might have just missed something

The only thing I don't like about the game so far is having to mash the fire button constantly. Hopefully there is an upgrade down the line which lets me auto-fire by holding down the button...

heybrian

Neo Member
Details in a spoiler block? I've been interested in sequence breaks. Though if it's the one I'm thinking of...you might have just missed something
Sure thing, spoiler below
After I got the high jump gravity power up I explored around and found the huge boss with the back cannon/laser and the bombs it lobbed from its worm tail thing. I ended up beating it by standing on the middle block and shooting and gun that you press fire again to make it explode in mid air. After it exploded I can't walk in the pink lava because it depletes my health, and there is one sort-of glitch panel I assume I was supposed to use in the fight, but I didn't see any more forming anywhere around it. Did I miss something?

SerTapTap

Sure thing, spoiler below
After I got the high jump gravity power up I explored around and found the huge boss with the back cannon/laser and the bombs it lobbed from its worm tail thing. I ended up beating it by standing on the middle block and shooting and gun that you press fire again to make it explode in mid air. After it exploded I can't walk in the pink lava because it depletes my health, and there is one sort-of glitch panel I assume I was supposed to use in the fight, but I didn't see any more forming anywhere around it. Did I miss something?

You missed something:
there are more glitch panels, they are not for the fight. Use L1 to lock and aim, there are enough panels to get all the way across

The only thing I don't like about the game so far is having to mash the fire button constantly. Hopefully there is an upgrade down the line which lets me auto-fire by holding down the button...

Item/upgrade spoilers, obviously:
some weapons are fully auto, some are semi auto. And some weapons are higher damage and require less mashing (and/or can't fire that fast anyway)

Z3M0G

Game is simply fantastic. Played for about an hour or so. Glad to here I haven't experienced all of its surprises yet. I'm shocked how quickly I'm getting some of the gadgets I read about in reviews, thinking they must have come quite late in the game.

This is going to be a hell of a ride!

Sintoid

Bought it right now. I dont' know how I will be able to manage my evenings between this and bloodborne... Why Vita version aren't you ready... WHY????

Bought it right now. I dont' know how I will be able to manage my evenings between this and bloodborne... Why Vita version aren't you ready... WHY????

Yeah, I went ahead and bought this last night and was like "I sat down with the intent to play Bloodborne, so that's what I'm gonna do."

Vita version soon, but they've already got my money.

Top Bottom