• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jond76

Banned
In an attempt to get something up for those of us that are looking forward to this sorry if it's too early:

Pp2nDjz.png

CHOPCHOP.gif

Launch trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IECq9TqDWB8

What the hell is this all about?

Available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, Dying Light is a zombie apocalypse-themed game set in an open world. Players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population with a heavy focus on freerunning mechanics. Players also can customize the four characters in the game.

The game is mostly melee-based with the majority of fighting using melee weapons. There are more than 100 weapons that can be used and more when players begin crafting new weapons.

Dying Light contains a dynamic day and night cycle. During the day, the player has to go out and scavenge for supplies to send back to the safe zones. They can also set up traps, save random survivors, and make their way to airdrops. The infected are slow, apathetic, and easily visible, allowing the player to simply make their way past them, but their danger grows in numbers. The game will also feature a dynamic weather system, which will include a variety of conditions such as fog, rain, and wind.

When the sun goes down in Dying Light, the infected transform into something much more dangerous. Without daylight, the senses of the infected become more acute and accurate. They gain the ability to sprint after the player and have increased damage, as well as the ability to jump and climb buildings like the player. In order for the player to avoid contact, they need to use their Night Sense to locate zombies in the dark to stay out of their way. If spotted and trying to escape their pursuers, the player can use distractions and traps to lower their numbers. Players can use sound to lure the zombies
(thanks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Light)

DROPKICK.gif

Cool, what about multiplayer?

Online multiplayer has been announced for up to 4 players in the co-op mode. It has also been confirmed that the game will offer asymmetrical multiplayer. There will be a game mode known as "Be the Zombie" that will allow the player to play as a zombie and join other players' worlds. At EGX 2014, lead game designer Maciej Binkowski revealed that there will be challenges throughout the world for players to engage in for experience. Two challenges were showcased with one being a fight to kill as many zombies as possible and the other being a race to an airdrop.

Be... the Zombie?

YES! Similar to the upcoming Evolve, Dying Light will have a multiplayer mode that pits one human controlled zombie against 4 human controlled... humans. Watch this video!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMuYHdpPh8M

BYEBYE.gif

DLC

Yep, some of that too. Starting sometime in February, you can look forward to these! ($20 for season pass):

-Cuisine & Cargo -- Available first for Season Pass holders, these two hardcore missions let players put their skills to the ultimate test. Investigate buildings sealed off in the very first days of the outbreak--with the infected inside. Explore ominous corridors of once the most famous restaurant in Harran, and employ both stealth and combat to ransack a zombie-filled loading bay at an abandoned railroad yard.

-Ultimate Survivor Bundle -- Players will receive seven unique in-game items that will bring fighting zombies to a whole new level. Grab three special outfits and four blueprints for over-the-top weapons to make your survival in the quarantine zone a good bit easier.

-The Bozak Horde -- The final Season Pass drop will deliver a new map and gameplay, playable in either single-player or co-op. Go inside the Harran Stadium, the most famous landmark in the city, and test your combat know-how against relentless hordes of the Infected. Fight increasingly stronger and larger enemy waves as you oppose a mysterious psychopath called Bozak.

VIDEOS

Some nice vids to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W1YxFJKl28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AyhZyOMX6A

2015_01_26.gif

Review Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980603&highlight=dying+light

Comes out Jan. 27th, 2015 digitally worldwide. One month delay for physical copies in the EU.

UPDATE*************

Concerning the stat wipe bug, a Techland dev gave this temporary workaround until a patch is put out:

I am sorry to hear that it happened to you. We do know about this issue and it should be fixed in the upcoming patch. It is actually caused by leaving the game right after or during sleeping. Same for disconnecting from coop when sleeping. So for it to never occur to you again before the patch make sure that the game saved properly after sleeping - by running somewhere for a bit or talking with an npc (quest or shop). And try to exit it through quiting not forcefully.

I've questioned if the patch would recover my savefile: Most likely we won't be able to do that as the problem lies within corrupted save file.

What you can do more is to check this temporary fix, I cannot assure you tho it would work perfectly: go to "Play Campaign" from main menu of the game, choose your save file, go to "Advanced" and from there you should be able to choose "New Game from quest". Then pick the lastest progress you can.

What that should do is to get your character to the correct progress

Hope that helps

GAF Steam community group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DyingLightGAF

MavFan619

Banned
Will give this a try tonight. I bought it for my brother but might as well try it out though it wasn't even on my radar.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Great OP title. Game looks great, but I'm gonna wait for it to hit 30 bucks. My backlog is huge, and I have Pillars of Eternity and The Witcher 3 preordered. I suspect those two games will take up the majority of my gaming time this year.

SDCowboy

Question: Is there any kind of different "armor" or clothes in this (presumably that change stats) or just weapons?

I just hope the guns don't suck. They sucked badly in Dead Island.

Also, I did get a 25% off coupon for the game, but it's good till 11AM on Wednesday... but it says it's only good for pre-orders? That doesn't make sense...

Klyka

Banned

Also, I did get a 25% off coupon for the game, but it's good till 11AM on Wednesday... but it says it's only good for pre-orders? That doesn't make sense...

Guns are much rarer and with rare ammo but they pack an actual punch now.
It's not like Dead Island anymore where a baseball bat did more damage than an Assault Rifle. Guns are more against the human enemies though cause ammo is so limited.

Corpekata

Banned
Question: Is there any kind of different "armor" or clothes in this (presumably that change stats) or just weapons?

The co-op has people showing up in different outfits it appears so I would imagine so since it's the same character. Or maybe it's just random in co-op.

hawk2025

Guns are supposed to *not* suck, but also be extremely rare.

The guns are supposed to suck, its more of a melee game. You can mow down zombies with them but its tricky to aim and there's not many bullets. Plus its not half as fun ;)

Skyzard

Banned
^ he's been active in late 2014, but yeah it's been a while...

Getting over the pre-order bonus switch for now, the game does look pretty great.

Only thing I'm worried about is the one difficulty suits all.

Hopefully it's challenging enough. 10 hours or so left till it unlocks on steam.

DOWN

Banned
EDIT: Okay, OP you need to rehost those images

OP, you didn't correctly link to the gifs

You need to get the direct image address (usually just right click and 'Copy Image Address') and put that in the image tags.

CHOPCHOP.gif

I'm iffy on this game. It looks good, but I never completed Dead Island so I dunno how I would do with this game.But it looks interesting..should I?

Dajanksta

Banned
Are there any reviews out yet? I want to buy but am not pre ordering games anymore except for special occasions. I want this game to be good.

Tohsaka

My copy shipped from Amazon, but I got a notification that it won't be here tomorrow because of the stupid blizzard that's supposed to happen. Hopefully UPS will be able to deliver on Wednesday.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
He has not posted since October.

Well, more relevantly, he hasn't been online since October. If he'd been online recently but hadn't posted since last year, the polite thing to do would still be to contact him about the OT since he did claim it.

I remember back a few (years?) (months) ago I thought this looked awesome. I am a sucker for anything Mirror's Edge related but I totally forgot about this.

LProtag

This blizzard will force me to wait for reviews since I won't be able to go out and buy it and I probably won't have power anyway.

So that's a plus.

OP, it doesn't look like NeoGAF likes the website you hosted your gifs on. I would suggest rehosting them on Imgur or something. I would also recommend editing them and removing the black bars.

And to be fair on those who tried to post them correctly, they show up correctly embedded when you preview your post, but I guess they immediately break or something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PC version can be got for 25% off with no sales tax on GMG, but I'm still holding off... I'm kind of worried this will turn out to be a bit of a stinker. Also worried about the PC port quality.

So, is this available anywhere to play right now? Via VPN or console region switching?

And is this just dead island with a pretty coat of paint?

Top Bottom