• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, March 7th

ethomaz

Banned
Last month it was at 48 minutes of the hour.

Now it is 36 minutes.

Hope in 10 minutes we get the winner.

Boke1879

Well we know Sony doesn't say anything. Even if they win. So that part isn't a shock.

Would have fully expected some MS PR about now though. Maybe it's not that good?

Probably MS won and everyone is so surprised they don't know what to write.

giphy.gif

sirronoh

lol that would be something. But yeah, Sony stopped giving PR so if Microsoft doesn't comment, we may not find out for awhile.

sirronoh

No surprise, at least for most of us.

Now we'll wait for days or weeks for an estimate on the gap and YOY performance of both consoles.

So hard to have a real discussion these days. :\

Boke1879

I like how the article says it's because of Nioh and Horizon.

I know Horizon is technically going to be included with the March NPD, but would it be wrong to assume many people may have bought a PS4 in anticpation for Horizon? Especially after reviews. But it's more so the price drop that had the impact.

00ich

I know Horizon is technically going to be included with the March NPD, but would it be wrong to assume many people may have bought a PS4 in anticpation for Horizon? Especially after reviews. But it's more so the price drop that had the impact.

If you buy a console for a game you would buy it together with the game, not a few days in advance.

ethomaz

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-tops-xbox-one-in-february-2017-us-sales/1100-6448599/

In its own statement, Microsoft said global Xbox One game hours in February jumped 11 percent year-over-year, while global unique multiplayer users reached 35 percent-plus growth compared to last year. Xbox marketing boss Mike Nichols called out Halo Wars 2, For Honor, and Grand Theft Auto IV (in backwards compatibility) as helping drive engagement on Xbox One during the month.

Xbone is probably down yoy this time.

Welfare

There was no mention of YoY performance for the Xbox One in the March 2016 NPD and September 2016 NPD even though they were up, so I wouldn't say it is down just yet.

Boke1879

If you buy a console for a game you would buy it together with the game, not a few days in advance.

To be fair the PS4 was $250 for two weeks and the promo ended the weekend right before Horizon came out. Not to mention there is plenty to play on the PS4 and many may have thought it was a good time to jump in. Income Tax came in for a lot of people.

Dre3001

MS needs to release more games plain and simple that would give gamers a reason to jump in.

I have a One S but mainly because I am a fan of the big 3 (Halo, Gears, Forza). Outside of those franchises MS is not giving many compelling reasons to grab a X1.

Ps4 killed them this month with both Nioh and Horizon being released to excellent reviews and hype.

Boke1879

Scorpio announced way too early if MS is down yoy.

I think it has more to do with MS not doing great this time of year. Add to the fact there has just been way more buzz for the PS4 and Switch. And you get this situation we have now. And I really don't see the situation changing all that much in the near future.

sirronoh

Not sure that's true. Some people like to spread out the cost over a few paychecks. Either way, there were plenty of reasons to get a PS4 in February.

Agreed. I've talked about this in the past but I'll say it again -- people buy consoles for a variety of reasons and not necessarily around the same time as the biggest games of the month.

I have a friend who bought a PS4 in November. Guess what game she bought it for? If you picked Call of Duty, Battlefront, Tomb Raider, Titanfall, or Final Fantasy, you guessed wrong. The primary reason she got a PS4 was for
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk. I never even heard of that game before she told me what it was. It also apparently came out a few weeks ago in February which is 3 months after she bought the system. Obviously just one of millions of people but we shouldn't get too caught up in thinking that February PS4 success has to be due to games that came out in February. It's much more complicated than that.

Purest 78

Are some serious about people waiting for Scorpio? Majority of people that buy consoles likely have no clue what Scorpio is.

Top Bottom