• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 10/10 completed anime out there?

Jumeira

Banned
Ive not watched Anime in 10 years, i adored Cowboy Beebop. Looks like alot here who appreciate CB also like Samurai Champloo & G Lagaan, I'll check both out. Ill start with Samurai tonight, Netflix (God bless them) have both available.

I do see alot of Animie listed here that are like art house films, wacky and quirky, i don't find them particularly enjoyable to watch, such as FLCL & Evangelion (the end wtf), i love Cowboy because it was straight forward and consistent, im hoping for the same with Samurai Champloo. Please god, don't turn into a contrived mess of a story for the sake of being wacky, winds me up.

All my other picks have been mentioned multiple times already, so here's my pick:

Your Lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)

282201-your-lie-in-april-your-lie-in-april-gifs.gif

No embarrassing or perverted anime tropes in here - just an incredibly touching, bittersweet, and visually/musically beautiful show. I'm not gonna lie, the last 2 episodes really fucked me up! I still feel a little emotional whenever I hear this piece from the OST.

Aside from being a great show, I'll always love this anime for introducing me to Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata, Chopin's Winter Wind etude, and Chopin's Ballade No. 1 in G minor (which has become one of my all-time favorite classical pieces).

Kambing

Definitely need to revisit anime, going by this thread.

Ano Hana made me bawl like a god damn baby. So i vote for that.

LotusHD

Banned
All my other picks have been mentioned multiple times already, so here's my pick:

Your Lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)

282201-your-lie-in-april-your-lie-in-april-gifs.gif

No embarrassing or perverted anime tropes in here

Not entirely true, the MC more or less got introduced to the female MC by inadvertently taking a picture of her performance right as the wind blew her skirt up :p

Great show tho

Not entirely true, the MC more or less got introduced to the female MC by inadvertently taking a picture of her performance right as the wind blew her skirt up :p

Great show tho

Lol, I forgot about that. But my point still stands; I know you were joking but it's worth clarifying the difference between that scene, which was done purely for comedic reasons, and shit like this:

fed.gif

That's the character Tatsumaki from One Punch Man, an anime I otherwise really enjoyed. She looks like she's 14 years old and has an obviously sexualized outfit, barely covering her crotch/ass. But it's okay everyone, because she's actually 26 years old! GTFO with that nonsense - we all know what you're doing.

The characters in Your Lie in April were 14 years old, but thankfully the show never made me feel like a creep for watching it.

Elfstar

Paranoia Agent: i don't think that anime can get better than this

Ping Pong the Animation: masterful direction, amazing artstyle, outstanding OST, great character drama.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou: Anno and Sagisu at their best, i don't even care that much about its characters and story (even if they're way above your average shoujo stuff), i just enjoy its great, borderline experimental direction. Extremely underrated production.

My only 10's are:

Hunter x Hunter
Cowboy Bebop
Ping Pong the Animation
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

With that being said I haven't see a lot of the series mentioned.

luffxan

Top 3 I guess

There's currently 12 volumes out for the main series in Japan. Plus four spinoff volumes where Megumin is the protagonist, three of which are kind of essential to get the maximum impact out of volume 9's events. Then there's one spinoff book starting Vanir and Wiz, but that's not as important.

Going at the rate the anime has been going, you'd need at least seven seasons to cover everything if you include the Explosions books, and the series still isn't over (by current events, it has at least 2-3 more volumes left, possibly more). Konosuba is not getting seven seasons, we'll be lucky if the "new anime project" announced a little while ago is a proper third season and not just a volume 5 or Megumin prequel film (Megumin is by far the most popular character and volume 5 is her strongest volume so a movie of it would make some sense).

EDIT: If you just mean "until they stop making more of it" though then yeah that makes more sense I guess. Either way, oh boy are you in for a treat if they adapt volume 5, it's better than any of 1-4.

Yeah definitely meant it as more of an "until they stop making it" type of thing. Honestly I'm not expecting them to go through all the content in the LN/Spinoffs. I never do for anything out of Japan considering how many great LNs get a 12 episode anime and that's it. However, who knows, we're getting a third season of Code Geass so anything is possible lol

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Monster
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Spice and Wolf
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Gurren Lagann

I would put the rest of Kenshin on there but since Jinchuu never got adapted and since we got a whole season of shitty filler instead, I guess it wouldn't count.

Not

Banned
That's the character Tatsumaki from One Punch Man, an anime I otherwise really enjoyed. She looks like she's 14 years old and has an obviously sexualized outfit, barely covering her crotch/ass. But it's okay everyone, because she's actually 26 years old! GTFO with that nonsense - we all know what you're doing.

28. And to me she actually has a more realistic adult woman body type than what anime normally gives you. Most women are short and don't have grotesque, physics-defying chest mounds

Jigolo

I'm partial to

Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhoos
Steins Gate
TTGL
JoJo Part 2
Ping Pong The Animation

I've been meaning to watch the gundam series for years now but don't know where to start. Should it be done chronologically or just watch those recommended to me? I know there are A LOT out there.

Blue Submarine No.6

This and Cowboy Bebop are what got me into anime, it's only 4 episodes long, but is moody, interesting, and uses CGI better than 90% of anime even today. It's also got one of the best "grey" endings in anime.

Noein

I adore this series, it starts off as a kind of paranormal detective show and evolves into something entirely different and wonderful.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
GAF, hit me with the best slice-of-life, peaceful anime out there.

Totoro, Only Yesterday, Tale of Princess Kaguya, and Whispers of the Heart are some of my favorite movies of all time, for reference.

Jigolo

Totoro, Only Yesterday, Tale of Princess Kaguya, and Whispers of the Heart are some of my favorite movies of all time, for reference.

There was a beautiful fishing one I saw a few years back. The animation was really great but I forgot the name

nvm found it: Tsuritama

Natsume's book of friends. It's basically concentrated comfy.

TrounceX

Wow, someone else who likes Whisper of the Heart. I can tell you have good taste in anime.

So, Aria is the best slice of life show I've ever seen and it's not even really close. Mushishi is another great one. I also think Flying Witch is fairly underrated in this genre.

Golden Boy
Anime_9b14dc_6002565.gif

Wait fot it.

Haha, I used that exact clip on a report on the Yakuza in Japanese media I did back in my high school Japanese class. Golden Boy is pretty good.

Wow, someone else who likes Whisper of the Heart. I can tell you have good taste in anime.

So, Aria is the best slice of life show I've ever seen and it's not even really close. Mushishi is another great one. I also think Flying Witch is fairly underrated in this genre.

I like Whispers of the Heart too! I like pretty much everything that Studio Ghibli has done though.

True Fire

I’m a huge fan of Another and Shiki. They’re both slow burn horror anime, but they’re both great in their own way.

Another is only like 10 episodes, so there’s no reason not to watch it, even if you end up hating it.

Top Bottom