• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 10/10 completed anime out there?

Some Nobody

It's the correct take.

Only if you like to see the world burn. If you're writing a five page essay, you don't get to throw the thesis away at the top of the fifth page.
"Equivalent exchange? Sounds like something a child would come up with."
Fuck. Outta. Here.

Plus it's slow-paced and boring, dragging out stuff because they didn't have the manga. '03's only superior point is that it develops Hughes a bit more, so
his death has a lot more meaning
, but besides that? Nah. Brotherhood's fights are better, the animation is superior, Winry's actually a likable character, Scar's more relatable and not an unstoppable monster...these are just cursory things I remember from my one complete watch back in 2011.

kurahador

Every single time FMA vs Brotherhood comes up in a thread, I can't decide whether either is actually the good one. Are people are just saying the old one is better because it's what they grew up with? Are people just saying the new one is better because they read the manga and it's closer to that?

Nostalgia doesn't mean something is good. And sometimes adaptations make better choices than the original.

Makes it hard to decide which one to watch.

Problem with Brotherhood is that the pacing early on was off as it assumes you watch the old one.
The best way to experience the series is by watching the old anime, stop after episode 25 or so (if you want that is) and proceed with Brotherhood.

I'd argue the old FMA anime was even better than the source material. They tone down the humor making the story felt alot darker and oppressive.
It also added some stuff that the manga only referenced.

Thud

Anyway more anime that deserve that 10. Long write ups, could have been better if I didn't jot this down from memory.

Hajime no Ippo: Mashiba vs Kimura

Ippo is great stuff and definitely not completed, but this OVA should qualify. The manga is still running. There are various anime about.

The first anime that focuses on Ippo as he goes from zero to hero. There's also a bit of Takamura in there. The movie is his first title defense match. Then there's this OVA that is about Kimura, one of of Ippo's seniors at the gym that fights in a different weight class.
The second anime is about Miyata, Takamura and Ippo. The third anime is a mix of Ippo, Takamura and the coach in WO2.

I'm not sure how many volumes they cover with it all (have to look it up), but I would say we're not even halfway. It might also be hard to have a new ippo anime, the matches after the third anime in the manga are pretty brutal stuff. M rated I would say. Mashiba vs Sawamura is a death match. I would love it if people could watch that one though. One of the matches that stayed with me after almost 1200 chapters of Ippo.

Anyway Mashiba vs Kimura is kinda stand alone, however it should be watched after the first anime and the movie to fully appreciate it. Like stated above, it focuses on Kimura. In the first series you'll get to know Kimura as a somewhat unsuccessful boxer. He struggles with his weight class management. He doesn't have the power Ippo and Takamura have. He also doesn't have the wit of Aoki. More than that, he lacks any special features or moves. He does have quite a bit of range and the necessary speed for a good out boxer. His counters are also pretty good, although Miyata is much better.

We also know that Mashiba (Rumi's older brother) becomes the title holder of his weight class. Kimura decides to put his career and life on the line to get that title (he'll retire if he loses). Therefore he tries to come up with a special move and a way to deal with Mashiba.

Now Mashiba is a character we know a bit about in the series as well. Also called the grim reaper with his deadly flicker jabs. Like all Ippo matches the opponent gets a bit of fleshed out story, so it's not all about Kimura.

The match itself is one I really love.

Kimura comes really really close at winning the match.

You want to root for Kimura. The guy is really easy to relate to. Just an average guy that came to love boxing. Mashiba is also great. He's a bit rough around the edges, but still cares about boxing and winning. So it probably doesn't come as a surprise I like this match up a lot.

Animation is great, music is great, the whole premise is great. The aftermath is some good stuff.

Although Kimura doesn't retire, it does feel that way. He hasn't got a truly good match while Aoki did. Maybe George hates him idk.

I'm shilling it to eternity. This stuff you need to see.

Paranoia Agent

Everything Satoshi Kon made is pretty damn good. Paranoia Agent is a mix of thriller, horror and slice of life. It's creepy how close Satoshi Kon got at portraying paranoia in this series.

The intro song is horrifying just to watch. Every episode deals with a certain bizarre case and some kind of kid on roller blades that has a baseball. Near the end of series it kinda comes together as characters get caught up in other characters lives.

Definitely something you should watch if like Monster and that kinda stuff. I reckon it's time for a rewatch to get better acquainted with it again. It did leave an excellent impression on me.

Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoi-yo!! Masaru-chan

Comedy has always been hit or miss, or maybe kinda funny but not quite. Especially in manga and anime it can be really hard to pull off well.

Now Sexy Commando is quite the bizarre series. Think Bobobobobobo, but with uglier art. Based on the title you would think it's some kind of hentai. Well it's not. Just a gag series with a strange concept.

Sexy Commando is about Masaru, a strange student that trained in the mountains and came back the day a new transfer student comes to class. They share the same table and chair. Masaru quickly bonds with the guy he nicknamed Fuumin. Some thugs appear and Masaru shows some Sexy Commando techniques. A martial arts based on deceiving opponents by weird motions.

The series goes places as Masaru establishes the mustache club with the principal as one of its members lol. That weird encounter with a Meso. A tournament based solely on sexy commando.

It's all great fun. Episodes are 7-8 minutes long and everything is still watchable on youtube.

MrCinos

Monster
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Nothing else in my experience. When it comes to manga though, there's plenty more of 10/10 material I've read over the years.

Planetes has been my 10/10 for years, but after I've read the manga I felt anime wasn't as good and my opinion on it dropped a bit.

Kwixotik

Monster
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Nothing else in my experience. When it comes to manga though, there's plenty more of 10/10 material I've read over the years.

Planetes has been my 10/10 for years, but after I've read the manga I felt anime wasn't as good and my opinion on it dropped a bit.
Those have been high priority on my to watch list for years, but i havent gotten around to them yet for some reason. LoGH has me kind of intimidated from people telling me how many characters there are and how hard it can be to follow (plus the sheer number of episodes).

My 10/10 include only Serial Experiments Lain and Tatami Galaxy. However, these series are close: Cowboy Bebop, Ping Pong the Animation, and Welcome to the NHK.

Berserk, Haibane Renmei, Jojo, Paranoia Agent, and Ghost in the Shell i would put at high 8/10s.

Inidet

Nothing too different from what everyone has said but

Gurren Lagann: this show was formative for my current tastes, even though I watched it at like 18

Madoka Magica: Its just amazing. I love it

Fate/zero: I loved the mature themes of this show. Characters all felt well developed and is honestly a much more 10/10 show than the high school slice of life snooze-fest that was Fate/Stay Night.

FLCL: The best coming of age tale in anime IMO

Zeta Oni

Just gonna throw out a few more I don't think I've seen mentioned but are personal 10/10's:

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine

&

Katanagatari

Necrovex

Those have been high priority on my to watch list for years, but i havent gotten around to them yet for some reason. LoGH has me kind of intimidated from people telling me how many characters there are and how hard it can be to follow (plus the sheer number of episodes).

My 10/10 include only Serial Experiments Lain and Tatami Galaxy. However, these series are close: Cowboy Bebop, Ping Pong the Animation, and Welcome to the NHK.

Berserk, Haibane Renmei, Jojo, Paranoia Agent, and Ghost in the Shell i would put at high 8/10s.

NHK was a 10/10 for me until I read the manga. Certain elements finally made sense from that material, such as
the talking house items stemmed from serial drug use.

Plus the manga makes the anime look serene at times.

Zeta Oni

But why? I like to see that more than these dropping names lists.

Ahem...

Lupin the Third: Legend of Fujiko Mine

I have watched the Lupin the Third series even since seeing late night runs of the earlier series on Adult Swim as a child, fascinated by these adventures of the titular character and his band of misfits as they go around the world stealing whatever catches his eye. Of course, this included eventually seeing Miyazaki's The Castle of Cagliostro, and for a long time after seeing it I had this fantasy of what a serious and mature take on the characters might look like. Years pass, and randomly one day while looking for something to watch, I come across this series.

And it was everything I could have asked for.

The opening is mesmerizing. Every episode, I watch the full opening, every time. Might sound silly to some, but that's a serious thing I look for when watching anime. It's also gorgeous. It absolutely oozes style in every frame.

tumblr_mzkerkmRhl1snn0hpo1_500.gif
080Gx.gif
tumblr_m222qjk6Rb1qf9ua6o1_500.gif

It's a story following the character of Fujiko Mine, the femme fatale that Lupin III has been madly in love with in previous series. But rather than being on the sidelines like previously, we get a very intimate look into her life as a spy, a thief, a lover, and most importantly, a woman trying to find her own identity in a world where it's so easy to lose it. I really enjoyed seeing the series from this new perspective, and more than that I felt a connection to this character on a personal level. That same character that previously, I had written off as being a rather one-note addition ended up becoming a fully living and breathing creation in the course of just a few episodes.

Everything from the style to the story, the colors to the music, the voice work to the animation, is just absolute perfection to me.

Edit: As for Katanagatari, it too is also an absolutely gorgeous show, with a rather unique way of drawing characters I came to really enjoy, but that alone is not what made it a 10/10 for me.

raw

What mainly separates it from its peers is that at many points in the show, its seems to take a meta-level approach to situations in order to purposely play with the expectations of people familiar with the genre. Its only 12 episodes (was released monthly, each episode is around 45 minutes long), so its hard to go into detail about what I mean without mentioning specific spoilers, but ill say that if you go in expecting you standard action anime, you'll be left with many feelings by the time each episode ends, and excitement for the next one might not be one of them.

Also worth noting it was written by Nisio Isin, famously known for the Monogatari series, which I did not enjoy anywhere near as much as this.

KonradLaw

Baccano! is probably the only one I'd give a perfect score to (despite not being my favorite) but it's helped a lot by its short length. Not a single boring episode and the shifting to different perspectives rather than having a main character makes it so you always want to continue watching (though it might be confusing at first until you realize what's going on). Also might have the best dub of any anime.
Hey, with new Full metal Panic and Index season coming it seems nothing is impossible in world of anime anymore, so who knows...we might get Baccano S2 :D

Rad-

Steins;Gate is the only one that I'd say is 10/10.

Konosuba could get there eventually if it keeps its quality the same in later seasons. It has potential to be the GOAT comedy anime.

Mushishi deserves all the love, but I hate how there's no proper Western release for season 2.

Nichijou remains a criminally underrated gem.

Trigun and GiTS: Stand Alone Complex were mentioned by someone earlier, seconding those.

Also:

Space Brothers
RahXephon
Mononoke
Moribito
Hajime no Jpop
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Eva
Mawaru Penguindrum
Utena
Kino's Journey
Princess Jellyfish
Katanagatari
Baccano
Champloo
Planetes
Time of Eve
Azumanga Daioh
Usagi Drop (The story after the anime is best ignored)

Someone also mentioned YuYu Hakusho. I've only seen 2 episodes before, but picked up the series on Bluray. Super pumped to watch it.

UrbanRats

Don't watch anime usually, but aside from Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, i recently watched the whole of Monster, and i think it's best anime i've ever watched.
It's a bit corny here and there, but that comes with the territory, and in anime terms, is pretty damn sober.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Every single time FMA vs Brotherhood comes up in a thread, I can't decide whether either is actually the good one. Are people are just saying the old one is better because it's what they grew up with? Are people just saying the new one is better because they read the manga and it's closer to that?

Nostalgia doesn't mean something is good. And sometimes adaptations make better choices than the original.

Makes it hard to decide which one to watch.

Brotherhood is better because it looks better, is more tonally consistent, and has a far, farrrr better conclusion/last third.

Best off watching the first half of the OG series then skipping over to Brotherhood, as people have said, 03 version covers some things Brotherhood didn't want to retread.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Baccano! is probably the only one I'd give a perfect score to (despite not being my favorite) but it's helped a lot by its short length. Not a single boring episode and the shifting to different perspectives rather than having a main character makes it so you always want to continue watching (though it might be confusing at first until you realize what's going on). Also might have the best dub of any anime.

Baccano is near perfect, though I know a few people struggle through the very first episode. GOAT OP as well.

Edit: seconding Paranoia Agent as well, just incredible and like nothing else you've seen. Also utterly amazing and creepy as fuck OP

Keasar

Code Geass.
Hajime No Ippo.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199.
Fullmetal Alchemist.
Cowboy Bebop.

And the goddamn king:
tumblr_ojydf0SpSI1tgk4rco1_500.gif

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

So many good shows to watch.

Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (I love both of them equally)

These two are perfect, IMO. Other stuff includes:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Usobuko

Banned

Looking at the kind of stuff you like, you'll love both series.

LoGH is a space opera that takes a while to get going but once you're hooked, it's likely you'll marathon it.

It took me 2 weeks to finish the entire 110 episodes when I watched it 6-7 years back.

RalchAC

FMA Brotherhood is like a really good YA novel, IMO. Which is not something you can say about most manga. The battles are generally shorter than in most shonen, but the plot is generally well done and the character are really good. The second half of the series have some incredible moments like how [SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY]
Roy Mustang goes all out to kill Lust
or
Envy's last moments.
The series has a lighter tone than the 2003 anime, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. It just stays consistent with what was established before.

If you are going to try and watch a shonen, FMA:B would be the perfect place to start. It's not especially tropey, the pacing isn't hurt by long ass epic battles and it's relatively short. Like 50-something 20 minute episodes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
FMA Brotherhood is like a really good YA novel, IMO. Which is not something you can say about most manga. The battles are generally shorter than in most shonen, but the plot is generally well done and the character are really good. The second half of the series have some incredible moments like how [SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY]
Roy Mustang goes all out to kill Lust
or
Envy's last moments.
The series has a lighter tone than the 2003 anime, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. It just stays consistent with what was established before.

If you are going to try and watch a shonen, FMA:B would be the perfect place to start. It's not especially tropey, the pacing isn't hurt by long ass epic battles and it's relatively short. Like 50-something 20 minute episodes.
It's a bit closer to 70 episode wise.

ChryZ

Gunbuster
Diebuster
FLCL
Nichijou
Azumanga Daioh
Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
K-On
Kill la Kill
Macross Plus
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Captain Future
Cowboy Bebop
Dirty Pair
Gurren Lagann
Idol Project
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

All 10/10 in my book, could watch them till the end of time.

Alastor3

Funny how, generatively, negative thread get more popular than the positive one. Im not complaining, not at all, but I do saw it a couple times on forums, and now the 0/10 thread have way more reply than a positive thread like this 10/10.

I guess you can argue more what is good and what is bad when someone say that your favorite anime is trash.

rackham

Banned
I found it over here guys, the worst opinion.

OG FMA was white hot shit from halfway through where they ran out of manga and just made things up badly.

Yeah Brotherhood was a real masterpiece with the small chinese girl and panda bear /s. Just because something doesn't follow a manga doesn't make the story bad. What kind of pathetic validation is that for a story?

pottuvoi

Banned
Sadly I do not remember most I have watched.

Stellvia of the Universe
Moribito
Monster
Haibane Renmei
Rose of Versailles
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Kurau Phantom Memory
Capeta

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Heybot!

No, I'm not joking.

Just ended this Sunday. I spent the last week or so watching all 50 episodes, and it's probably one of the legit funniest anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Despite being a show designed to sell merchandise, the director and writers obviously had a blast making it and created what I don't hesitate to call a work of art.

You should watch it. Seriously. Heybot! is probably one of my favorite anime of all time now.

Rising_Hei

I don't know if they were mentioned, but...

Gungrave
Trigun
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Great Teacher Onizuka
Space Brothers

I could go on for ages...

I also wish more animes would get remade with the treatment FMA Brotherhood and Hunter X Hunter got

Relativ9

Trigun.

To be fair it's basically the only anime I've ever watched, but it's soo good!

Last edited:

Osukaa

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun,
Evangelion (I know it can be up for debate),
Kids on the Slope,
Abeno Bashi Magical Shopping Arcade,
Full Metal Alchelist

Theres more but I cant remember at the moment

hamza348

Neo Member
personally I find animes that are made and designed to be an anime more great than mangas that have been adapted into an anime.The pace always feels slow and awkward.There are some exceptions but usually they are so slow.
anyways I really like

tale of princess kaguya
gurren lagan
neon genesis
cowboy bepop
anohana

Top Bottom