• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 10/10 completed anime out there?

petran79

Banned
Aside from the classics:

Kurau Phantom Memory.
This is the best series where BONES was involved. Quite underrated too

Kurau_Phantom_Memory.jpg

Planet Survival
Best adventure anime with kids I've seen

Planet-Survival-planet-survival-15239174-400-300.jpg

Secret of Cerulean Sand
Same director as above. One of the best adventure series

secret_of_cerulean_sand_7205.jpg

Princess Yucie

Gainax doesnt make shojo titles very often

banner_327.jpg

Kojika Monogatari - The Yearling
Closest title to WMT you'll find

%E5%AD%90%E9%B9%BF%E7%89%A9%E8%AA%9E.png

Audioboxer

Everything really good has already been mentioned but I'll just throw some more love the way of From the New World. Doesn't always get mentioned enough in anime topics.

The 3x3 Eyes OVA is god tier and I will recommend it first over everything else. Read the Manga after though, otherwise you'll suffer from severe Berserk syndrome.

Fisico

I'm gonna say Un-Go.
It was a fantastic series that I feel no one watched. Also the ED is catchy as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe3sjcFhjYM

I watched it, it was just barely good enough for me to not drop it back then but I have 0 recollection of what it was about.
What's funny is that year it shared the Noitamina timeslot with Guilty Crown, a complete shitshow and trash anime that overshadowed Un-Go for many reasons both good and bad.

Hexa

Golden Boy
Anime_9b14dc_6002565.gif

Wait fot it.

When does the anime for Golden Boy end? I read the manga, and it was pretty good when it was just random stories of him going around 'studying'. But when it actually got to the main plot it got really bad with a bunch of neofascist psuedobabble and an ending involving virtual reality that made no sense and didn't resolve anything.

Z3M0G

Didnt see Serial Experiments Lain on p1...

Edit: then found a new LTTP thread that was created today. Bravo

Cnoodles

Neo Member
There is a lot of high quality anime out there but my picks would be

1. Cowboy Bebop-I honestly think that Cowboy Bebop is the pinnacle of anime. This show oozes style, the characters all have charm, the animations are top notch, and the soundtracks is great.

2. Dragonball- What is there not to like about this anime. Unlike its predecessor, this anime does not take 20 episodes to finish just one fight. It also has some of the best fight scenes in the whole series. With great action, hilarious moments, and awesome characters, you have an all around perfect anime.

3. Gurren Lagenn- This show is totally insane from beginning to end. It has a great story and some of the best action you will see in any anime.

4. Code Geas- Admittedly I saw this anime a long time ago, but I do remember that I was hooked on it from start to finish. The twist and turn are amazing and has a great finale.

5. Rurouni Kenshin- I am a sucker for samurai and rurouni kenshin hits all the right notes for me. I think the characters and setting are the highlight for me in this anime. It has lovable characters and badass action and villain, this anime is almost too perfect.

Some other anime that are close to perfect are
Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood
Trigun
yu yu hakusho
outlaw star

Pocks

The ones I keep coming back to:

Great Teacher Onizuka

Hajime no Ippo

Cowboy Bebop

- dragon ball
- dragon ball z
- one piece
- yu yu hakusho
- baccano
- cowboy bebop
- akira
- my neighbor totoro
- major!
- slam dunk
- hajime no ippo!
- code geass
- attack on titan (people are going to lose their shit at the second half of season 3, masterpiece is awaiting the non manga readers :)
- great teacher onizuka
- ruroni kenshin
- magi (not a manga reader, but really disappointed gaf isn't on the bandwagon)

There's no such thing as perfect. 10s for me are where the highs are so incredible and memorable, they greatly overshadow the lows. There's some shows that have more issues/flaws than other series but are clearly better due to their highs.

Monster
cowboy Bebop
Samurai champloo
Hajime No Ippo

Yes yes yes to Hajime no Ippo.

And with such great taste by you folks, I have a nice list of other shows to watch.

Zutrax

Yes yes yes to Hajime no Ippo.

And with such great taste by you folks, I have a nice list of other shows to watch.

I feel really bad for anyone taking the advice that Hajime no Ippo is completed... that's just straight up cruel. It's not even remotely completed, the anime is very far behind the manga with no signs of ever catching up or the manga itself finishing either.

I adore Hajime no Ippo, but it by no means should be mentioned in a thread about completed anime lol.

Shows:

Cowboy Bebop
Steins;Gate
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Madoka Magica
My Hero Academia (so far, I know it's not done, but I love every episode)
Toradora
Anohana
Angel Beats
No Game, No Life
Ergo Proxy

Movies:

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Your Name
A Silent Voice
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Spirited Away
Magnetic Rose (first short movie from Memories)

I usually think of this as "What series transcend 'anime' and would be worth experiencing regardless of your feeling on the medium overall?"

For me, it's:
-Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
-Cowboy Bebop
-FLCL
-Hunter x Hunter 2014
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable

Steel Ball Run will end up on here if they ever get around to it. FMA 2003 and Death Note are pretty easy to recommend too.

I recall Love Hina being very satisfying, it's not mentioned much, though.

Of course Neon Genesis Evangelion

I wouldn't call Love Hina a 10/10, and this is someone who bought that last 2 volumes of the manga to finish the series (since there was only that left after Love Hina Again), but it was fun for what it was.

Bennettt2

I wouldn't call Love Hina a 10/10, and this is someone who bought that last 2 volumes of the manga to finish the series (since there was only that left after Love Hina Again), but it was fun for what it was.

Nostalgia talking maybe, but I'd say Escaflowne, too. That's gotta be a 10/10 material if there ever was one

also death note

the numerous Gurren Lagann votes have me even more curious to see it, as I have heard and enjoyed bits of the OST

Firemind

Wow, someone else who likes Whisper of the Heart. I can tell you have good taste in anime.
Whisper of the Heart is actually pretty well-received on GAF. It's on top of many people's lists of Ghibli films.

As for a slice of life show that invokes that same sense of inspiration as Whisper of the Heart, there's only one for me: Nodame Cantabile.

I've never seen a perfect anime or even near perfect and I've seen a lot. The medium isn't fundamentally flawed or anything but every anime I've seen goes on too long or takes a turn for the worst for no reason.

I know it's not anime but Avatar The Last Airbender is a 10/10 imo.

When does the anime for Golden Boy end? I read the manga, and it was pretty good when it was just random stories of him going around 'studying'. But when it actually got to the main plot it got really bad with a bunch of neofascist psuedobabble and an ending involving virtual reality that made no sense and didn't resolve anything.
It's only six episodes long, and ends with all the ladies returning to help in the anime production episode.

Szadek

I've never seen a perfect anime or even near perfect and I've seen a lot. The medium isn't fundamentally flawed or anything but every anime I've seen goes on too long or takes a turn for the worst for no reason.

I think you just need to watch better anime.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yu Yu Hakusho- best dub. best opening/endings. best best.
Full Metal Alchemist (OG anime. Brotherhood is cliche tropey garbage)
FLCL
Berserk

I found it over here guys, the worst opinion.

OG FMA was white hot shit from halfway through where they ran out of manga and just made things up badly.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Watch Cowboy Bebop right now. It's not overlong and all of it owns.

Mumei

Is there a good place to watch Monster?

If you are American, not really. It was on Netflix for a time; it is on Amazon Video (but is a ridiculous $24 / season); and there is a DVD set (but only of the first 13 episodes). If you have a region-free player you could import the Australian set, I suppose. I don't know about people outside of the U.S.

But otherwise you'll be finding other means.

Thud

I thought about highlighting three specific anime.

Cowboy Bebop

Its episodic nature did make me turn off on it the first few times. Finally a few years ago I kept watching and finished it. Everything in an episode is carefully planned out. The music and the show are linked together. Then there is the hollow feeling when the bounty hunting stop. That's the moment you realise that all those adventures made you part of the experience.

If you would just focus on the main plot then it wouldn't get that much impact. It's about bounty hunters getting caught in strange shit. Some of it ties directly back to the characters, other episodes are just funky shit like mushroom hunting.

26 episodes and a movie makes Cowboy Bebop easy to recommend. It also looks fantastic on blu ray.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Just saying it's unique is not enough. The adaption of a series of novels spanned 110 OVA episodes. Multiple animation studios went through this series. People would have to mail order these episodes just to watch it.

The scale and ambition of this project is huge. A giant space epos that details a cast of about 50 people. All of them have their history, character motivations and especially character growth. It's about the complexity of 100 Naoki Urasawa works tied together.

It has romance, drama, politics (still relevant!), space battles (with or without inertia), history, world building and tons of other stuff that make LOGH a very intriguing watch from start to finish. You see multiple sides of war from different viewpoints. You'll care about the Empire and the Republic. Don't get too attached to your characters though, they die faster than in a regular GoT season.

Of course it has its flaws when dealing with an one dimensional religious villain, but that's easy to forgive for its time imho. I would even give this one a 11/10. Stuff like this doesn't get made again.

The new series can't measure up to this in a million years. LOGH is a treasure from its time for those that are crazy enough to follow up on it.

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

The Lupin III franchise is just plain fun. Gentleman thief Lupin III is the grandson of the famous Arsene Lupin. He pulls of all kinds of crazy heists together with his partner Daisuke Jigen, a gunsman with pinpoint accuracy. Occasionally joined by swordsman Goemon Ishikawa and the mysterious Fujiko Mine.

Of course every force has to be brought to balance. The police detective that tries to capture Lupin is Koichi Zenigata. Sometimes he succeeds, but most of the time he fails. Lupin III can be thought of as a Japanese version of James Bond when you introduce a Tom & Jerry like dynamic.

Lupin like his predecessors announces the crime before it happens. To give the other party the idea that no matter what they do, you can't stop the theft from happening.

Not only does Lupin get in trouble with the cops, several crime syndicates are also after Lupin and his gang.

Now Castle of Cagliostro is a film that encompasses everything I like about Lupin III and it looks like fun. This was directed by Hayao Miyazaki and I think it's one of his best movies ever made.

Maybe I'll make another post with some of my other favorites, as this post is getting a bit long already. :p

Thud

It's the correct take.

If we would rate anime solely based on animation, direction and the selected soundtrack perhaps. The story in FMA isn't compelling after the split. Even coming up with a lot of stuff that doesn't fit in.

I do give it a lot of credit for the Nina and Hughes scenes. Just thinking about it makes it rain.

brokenlogic

Neo Member
Comedy+Slice of life anime are so good. Off the top of my head are these two:
Nichijou
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou <-Like if Nichijou was done by the Gintama people.

Also voting (some for nostalgia :p)
Trigun
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
OG FMA

My list would probably look like this:

Trigun
0083 Stardust Memory
Dragon Ball
Bubblegum Crisis
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Gatchaman Crowds
Cowboy Bebop
Lupin III (especially part II)
Tenchi-Muyo (OVA)
Macross Plus
Macross 7
GITS: SAC
Samurai Champloo
Initial D (more of a guilty pleasure)

Might be missing a few obvious ones but those are the series I tend to rewatch the most, if ever. I kept it mostly to series and OVA as he list would be a lot longer with movies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Every single time FMA vs Brotherhood comes up in a thread, I can't decide whether either is actually the good one. Are people are just saying the old one is better because it's what they grew up with? Are people just saying the new one is better because they read the manga and it's closer to that?

Nostalgia doesn't mean something is good. And sometimes adaptations make better choices than the original.

Makes it hard to decide which one to watch.

Jigolo

Every single time FMA vs Brotherhood comes up in a thread, I can't decide whether either is actually the good one. Are people are just saying the old one is better because it's what they grew up with? Are people just saying the new one is better because they read the manga and it's closer to that?

Nostalgia doesn't mean something is good. And sometimes adaptations make better choices than the original.

Two things can't be good or something? I didn't even know the difference between the two or even knew that there was a manga about this until after I watched them. I give FMA:B praise because every episode (there are like 60) ranges from great to excellent which is a crazy achievement to me. This anime isn't even in my top 3 favorites but I can recognize it's greatness and put it in my 10/10 list (in fact most anime I listed here aren't my favorites). FMA 03 is still a great series. I saw this first before B and thought it was very very good. If I give B a 10/10 then 03 is 8/10.

Watch both - first 03 then Brotherhood

Thud

Both have their merit. Just like Hunter x Hunter, although calling that completed is wrong lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's pretty simple the first adaptation focused heavily on the earlier part of the manga with some slight changes and then went off on it's a nine original ending some liked that ending some didn't. Brotherhood focused far less on the early part of the manga because of the first anime so some of the scenes don't have had much set up and focus but focused very faithfully to manga for the rest of the run. The manga is obviously we'll liked which is why it has two adaptations so a lot liked this version and some didn't. They both have their merits.

DrD

Baccano! is probably the only one I'd give a perfect score to (despite not being my favorite) but it's helped a lot by its short length. Not a single boring episode and the shifting to different perspectives rather than having a main character makes it so you always want to continue watching (though it might be confusing at first until you realize what's going on). Also might have the best dub of any anime.

Top Bottom