• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

i don't know what any of those pokemon are

It's a fan game. Some of the Pokemon look really good compared to other fan made Pokemon I've seen. The last gym leader was pretty hard, but I just can't see how I can beat this one without tedious grinding. His entire team is problematic. That fucking Nurshary sets up with Light Screen and Reflect and the gym leader may choose to switch her out once you've managed to take her health down. The Barracute hits hard, the Glocto has really high def and the whole team has Depth Charge which is some ol' bullshit. It's basically the Paralyze version of Scald.

I chose the fire starter and since he's Fire/Rock at the middle stage it was just common sense to box it. I replaced him with the Slatic, but Slatic doesn't help much. I usually lose once I get to the Glocto and I still haven't seen what the 4th Pokemon is. These hacks and fan games sometimes go too hard on the difficulty. Not only does his Pokemon outlevel me, but they also have access to moves I don't yet. That's a pretty unfair disadvantage.

YES.

Was hairy there, though.

Turn 1, I attacked the Ratatta, and Pignite attacked the Zubat bring it to about 10% health.
Turn 2, I attacked Pignite, and Pignite attached the Ratatta, finishing it off. SO LUCKY on that one.
Then boom, Great Ball.

never evolve it into a crobat, you'll thank me later

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I finally did it, I defeated Cynthia and became champion of Sinnoh.

DHdJVK-XgAAKfB-.jpg

Though the battle was interesting as at the start my team were overpowering her Pokémon, till she sent out her final Pokémon Garchomp and proceed to take out both Snea, my Weavile and Zel, my Floatzel which was bad news as they both had ice type moves so I had to send out the only other Pokémon that was capable of taking down the land shark, Char my trusty Charizard.

The only problem was that Char had taken damage from Cynthia Spiritomb but luck was on our side as Garchomp giga impact kept missing leaving Char free to take Garchomp down with Dragon Pulse.

Had Char fell, it would have been rough trying to do it with Rozu, my Roserade, Lux, my Luxray and Luca my Lucario though I did have plans to send Lux out to Intimidate Garchomp and get Rozu to spam Giga drain and hope that poison point would trigger.

But yeah Cynthia is one cookie and I am a little nervous and excited to see I will fair against her with my Pearl and Platinum team where the members are different barring Char.

As for my experience with Pokémon Diamond, I loved playing it when I first played in 2007 and I still love it 10 years later, though the slowness did test me at times, especially when I was training my team for the elite 4.

Playing Diamond also made me realise that I was mixing element from Platinum which threw me off at times but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game.

One of the complaint that people had back in the days was that most of the cross gen evolution were locked to post game and yeah I can kinda see where they are coming from as this heavily affected the Sinnoh Pokédex which in turned affected the 7th and 8th gym leader and Flint of the Elite 4 as they had to use Pokémon outside of their typing with Flint getting the shot end of the stick as Candice and Volkner made it work with their team and it was kinda interesting to fight.

Prior to playing Pokémon Diamond I was worried that I had over hyped the game based on my nostalgia and it wouldn't live up to my memories but nope the moment I met Pearl, the Rival, I knew that I was going to enjoy the game.

I also found myself liking Dawn a bit despite the fact that I originally though of her as a but bland but no she's also on a Pokémon adventure just that her goal lead to a different path from me and Pearl with rare moment where it would overlap.

I could go on but to cut a long story short, I really enjoyed playing Pokémon Diamond and despite playing it many times with the same team this playthrough still felt new and fresh as it did when I first played it and I would always find something new that I enjoy about the game.

I am going to finish up game by doing the post game and then take a long break before I start Pokémon Pearl, should probably start it after I have finished Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon.

In all seriousness though, I could see more info on what exactly Necrozma adds to Solgaleo/Luanla, like what abilities or moves. A similar reveal to the Zygarde one from last year.

Finally sorting all my old pokemon from Diamond/AlphaSapphire/X/Sun and I'm up to 387 caught and 433 to go for a living dex.

This is fun. I should have started this a few years ago when I got my 3ds and X for the first time.

It's a fan game. Some of the Pokemon look really good compared to other fan made Pokemon I've seen. The last gym leader was pretty hard, but I just can't see how I can beat this one without tedious grinding. His entire team is problematic. That fucking Nurshary sets up with Light Screen and Reflect and the gym leader may choose to switch her out once you've managed to take her health down. The Barracute hits hard, the Glocto has really high def and the whole team has Depth Charge which is some ol' bullshit. It's basically the Paralyze version of Scald.

I chose the fire starter and since he's Fire/Rock at the middle stage it was just common sense to box it. I replaced him with the Slatic, but Slatic doesn't help much. I usually lose once I get to the Glocto and I still haven't seen what the 4th Pokemon is. These hacks and fan games sometimes go too hard on the difficulty. Not only does his Pokemon outlevel me, but they also have access to moves I don't yet. That's a pretty unfair disadvantage.

Talked to one of the devs, they said to bring back the fire starter if it has a rock move as Cameron's final two Pokemon are Water/ Bug and Fire. Cameron's team is pretty slow as well, you should probably be able to outspeed it. Try to just stall out Nurshary I guess, the most I was able to get was a "nice, so that's working" in regards to the switching. I would also recommend going back into the forest for some Cheris to counteract Depth Charge. Also I'd level up just a tiny bit more, get a few to 28 at least.

DHgPbcgU0AAEEdu.jpg

Supposed image from a trailer we're probably getting today. It looks like that building is in one of the empty lots?

The Alola map in the sides of the picture looks pretty weird too. Though I can still make out Malie City.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's a whole new world;

DHgSaAwWAAEpjI3

So they releasing download code in a box, kinda tempted to pick them up but I will probably pass on it.

DHgPbcgU0AAEEdu.jpg

Supposed image from a trailer we're probably getting today. It looks like that building is in one of the empty lots?

The Alola map in the sides of the picture looks pretty weird too. Though I can still make out Malie City.

Interesting, so this game will be like a sequel but at the same time not.

aw, I was hoping those lots would be used for gyms.

It still could be used for gym as remember in Black and White 2 Gym didn't look like gym on the outside.

I think the BW2 gyms still had the gym logo that they've been using since BW.

It could still be on the top, since we can't see it in that image. Though with the sign and everything, the building looks more like a store than anything else. We'll see in a few hours I guess.

Didn't show any new features other than new Z-moves and that the story will focus around Necrozma, which we already pretty much knew.

Wonder what's with Kahili and Ryuki.

Mr-Joker

Banned

That dark void has me interested, I wonder if we will get to fully explore the Ultra World?

Didn't show any new features other than new Z-moves and that the story will focus around Necrozman, which we already pretty much knew.

Wonder what's with Kahili and Ryuki.

Someone in the other thread pointed out how the building layout is like Lt Surge gym, perhaps this is how Gym will be implemented in Alola?

As for Kahili, my guess is that we will be fighting different Kahuna and Trial Captain.

Talked to one of the devs, they said to bring back the fire starter if it has a rock move as Cameron's final two Pokemon are Water/ Bug and Fire. Cameron's team is pretty slow as well, you should probably be able to outspeed it. Try to just stall out Nurshary I guess, the most I was able to get was a "nice, so that's working" in regards to the switching. I would also recommend going back into the forest for some Cheris to counteract Depth Charge. Also I'd level up just a tiny bit more, get a few to 28 at least.

Oh wow, you got connects like that? Thanks. I'll try this. Ooh and if you can, tell them that I think it'll be nice if it was more clear when you hover over moves. Maybe give it a blue highlight or something.

I must just suck at making teams because when I play random I be crushing fools half the time vs losing most of my OU battles.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7unratedrandombattle-618928593

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-619215550

I definitely wasn't expecting that for the trainer battle theme.

I still like it though.

Edit : USUM Director is Kazumasa Iwao, who worked as the Battle System Director in Sun/Moon and seems to have been with Game Freak since Platinum.

Building in the new trailer is called Alola Photo Club.

https://t.co/6NeWz5vRno

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well this shoots up Kommo-o way up.

With that said it feels like it is mandatory he has clanging scales and kommo-z.

Well this shoots up Kommo-o way up.

With that said it feels like it is mandatory he has clanging scales and kommo-z.

I mean, pretty much every current Kommo-o set has clanging scales anyways, and the vgc sets tend to use fightinium z so changing that for another z-move is no big deal. Now if only it could get aura sphere

I mean, pretty much every current Kommo-o set has clanging scales anyways, and the vgc sets tend to use fightinium z so changing that for another z-move is no big deal. Now if only it could get aura sphere

Would also be cool if it got Drain Punch.
A mixed set of Clanging Scales/Fire Blast/Poison Jab/Drain Punch would be pretty neat.

That advice helped. I grinded each of my Pokemon up 1 level and managed to get to his Scubug. Fuck that pokemon is strong it one shotted my Pyroat with Signal Beam. It one shotted a Fire/Rock Type with a Bug move that it's 4x resistant to. That shit is insane! I can't deal with that Scubug.

Edit: I managed to beat the Scubug because it was doing stupid shit like casting Rain Dance, but then I forgot he switched out Nurshary earlier in the fight and then it kicked my Peppit's ass because Peppit is weak as fuck and then Pyroat.

Watching worlds and these idiot commentators are assuming Arcanine doesn't have extremespeed when he obviously didn't use it because PSYCHIC TERRAIN WAS UP AND IT WOULD BE POINTLESS

Mr-Joker

Banned
Since Gold and Silver are releasing on the 3DS virtual console in September, does anyone feels that we will be getting Alolan form of gen 2 Pokémon?

Because I would totally be okay with that and is kinda the reason why I haven't pre-planned my Ultra Sun and Moon team.

Since Gold and Silver are releasing on the 3DS virtual console in September, does anyone feels that we will be getting Alolan form of gen 2 Pokémon?

Because I would totally be okay with that and is kinda the reason why I haven't pre-planned my Ultra Sun and Moon team.

You have a stronger will than me.

I bread a Shiny Torchic with HA, Shiny Froakie with HA, and a HP Ice Jolteon so far for my story play through of Ultra Sun or Moon. All EV trained and at level one. I'm also looking for one last Pokémon to breed to join the three I already have. Maybe Jangmo-o? I need to look into all the Alolan forms.

brinstar

I was wondering that myself, but with the games releasing so soon I feel like there's not much time to reveal them. But hey, who knows.

The E4 for HGSS wasn't bad. Lance gave me some issues but Ampharos came in against Charizard for the win. Other than Lance only thing that gave me trouble was that fucking Houndoom Karen had.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I am really loving the new battle theme in Ultra Sun and Moon, it's just so goooooood.

You have a stronger will than me.

Ha ha thanks.

Though truth be told I do have some rough idea jotted down but I haven't locked them in as I am waiting for confirmation of move tutors or Pokémon getting updated move sets as some Pokémon I like but their move set is just not quite there. Plus I really want to go all out and be super creative with my team.

Also for some reason I have been pre-planing my team for the Sinnoh remake despite the fact that it hasn't been announced yet.

I kinda think that, if they had any new Alolan forms up their sleeves, they'd be showing one of them off at Worlds rather than a new Z-Move.

Perhaps but after looking at the current Alolan form there are only ten line and we have roughly 3 months till the release of Ultra Sun and Moon.

So in theory, assuming we get ten new one, they could save their announcement till after the release of Gold and Silver on virtual console and stagger each announcement.

The E4 for HGSS wasn't bad. Lance gave me some issues but Ampharos came in against Charizard for the win. Other than Lance only thing that gave me trouble was that fucking Houndoom Karen had.

Karen's Houndoom is a tough Pokémon to take down even my water type have problems taking it down.

Wow at the current worlds match. Markus really got screwed by rng with two fucking freezes. One at the start and one right before he would've landed the last hit

Sterok

Bulu tanking the Dazzling Gleam and Blizzard with 1 HP only to get screwed by the freeze is some of the greatest RNG I've ever seen.

Bulu tanking the Dazzling Gleam and Blizzard with 1 HP only to get screwed by the freeze is some of the greatest RNG I've ever seen.
This match has been really intense even if it does feel like the rng has it out for Markus who has honestly been consistently better at playing

Sorry if kinda off topic but what are the chances of getting one of these in really good or new condition?
IkJmDhJl.jpg

I've been trying to get this for a while now.

And people shat on XY's exp growth

I don't understand why this made laugh out loud.

I like Sun/Moon alot but the issues I have with it can only be laughed at from a fan view.

----------------------------------------

This is a personal theory and I know it's highly (totally) unlikely.

We all have seen the new Ultra map for Alola and we have seen the purple tear in it.

There's two time lines, one with Mega evolutions because of AZ and one without Mega Evolutions. The Ultra games (assuming here) takes place in the Mega Evolution line so what if that purple goodness leads the MC into a second region? The region of Alola that doesn't have Mega Evolution in it. Let's say the Ultra Beast are actually just regular Pokémon that gets warped because of the effects of going through the worm hole and the space where we fought Lusamine was just before the event horizon so it didn't have any negative effects of the players Pokémon in Sun/Moon.

There's more to my theory but it's pass midnight. It's something I thought of when I first looked at the Ultra Alolan map. Again I know it's not happening just food for thought/imagination.

GoldStarz

And people shat on XY's exp growth

Because it was bad. It's not a black and white issue here. XY's exp growth was extremely bad because you were constantly overleveled and had to actively try not to be. SuMo's exp growth is great for the actual game since you're always just about on the curve they want you on, but they didn't put in a good way to level up for the post-game and for Hyper Training like they should have. This wouldn't be a problem is we still had secret bases because then we could just set up Blissey Bases every gen and there wouldn't ever be any lasting issues, but GameFreak hates feature creep and tries to cycle their ideas.

CassSept

Sorry if kinda off topic but what are the chances of getting one of these in really good or new condition?
IkJmDhJl.jpg

I've been trying to get this for a while now.

Used HG/SS with pokewalker alone sells at higher price than it cost at launch. Limited edition with Ho-oh figurine... yikes.

I was thinking this last year as well, but I'm surprised that TPC doesn't have something in place that makes the text for battles display in English when on stream, regardless of who's playing.

You can tell that even the commentators sometimes have trouble knowing what move has been used or what stat has been raised/lowered.

Top Bottom