• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

wmlk

So I just finished up the post game of Pokémon Diamond, with the exception of re-battling my rival which I will do on Friday.

But as I was exploring Battle Island it really highlight why I found Kalos to be a meh region with it feeling more of Game Freak testing the 3D engine.

And the reason for that is that Game Freak gave a logical reasoning to Battle Island design.

For starter Battle Island has a massive Volcano so the region was mountainous and on route 228 the game map actually gave a reason so why the route was bombarded by sand storm and it was because of the wind from the sea blowing up the sand, thus giving a logical reasoning behind that design.

Now compare that to Route 13 in Kalos, it's a desert route that exist because...well the game never exactly explains how the desert was form, which is odd as Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova and Alola both gave reasoning to how their desert route were formed.

But it just doesn't just the Kalos desert Route that feels off, it's also the rest of Kalos route where their theme just doesn't flow as well as past region and Kalos successor.

True, I recently found paper documents from Gen 4 and 5 when I was planing my teams and the Pokémon had their Japanese name, since the game had just released in Japan.

I should also point out that with some Pokémon I have given them nicknames based on their Japanese name as my nickname theme is that I take a part of their name but in some case I dip into their Japanese name if I feel that the English naming doesn't lend itself to a decent nickname.

For example my Charizard is nicknamed Char but my Blastoise on my Yellow team is nicknamed Zeni, which is taken from "Zenigame", Squirtle Japanese name.

Same, ever since I started nicknaming my Pokémon I end up feeling more of a bond with them, thus making them feel less like data.

The beauty of Pokémon is that you can pretty much end it where ever you want to end it, so if you want to stop after defeating Blue you can do so.

I myself stop after defeating Blue in my Silver and Soul Silver version and only fight Red in my Crystal version.

Man, Moltres looks like a rubber chicken.

Not just that, Sinnoh itself is a cold region and gets more wintery as you go up north. The only reason the postgame areas are warm is because of Heatran. Justifies why things are the way they are even more.

So...what are everyone's ten favourite Pokemon? The last time I asked this was well before the release of Sun & Moon, so it'll be interesting to see which of the new 'mons hit the right notes with people. Mine hasn't changed much since XY:
My favorites that I actually find usable online while also not being boring as hell to play:
wkwnTbt.png

My actual favorites (design, way they play ingame, etc.):
zEgDIxR.png

Ant reason A-Marowak isn't on both lists? It's absolutely viable in the metagame

The current top 5 most used in Battle Spot Singles are Mimikyu, Blaziken, Salamence, Landorus, and Charizard. I've tried to use Marowak A lately and it just either doesn't do enough to those 5 or gets destroyed by the things people bring to counter them due to sharing the same types. It's great against the Tapus, but I'd rather use other ghosts and fires first.

The current top 5 most used in Battle Spot Singles are Mimikyu, Blaziken, Salamence, Landorus, and Charizard. I've tried to use Marowak A lately and it just either doesn't do enough to those 5 or gets destroyed by the things people bring to counter them due to sharing the same types. It's great against the Tapus, but I'd rather use other ghosts and fires first.

Ah, I guess battle spot singles could be different since I was looking at smogon OU and doubles formats (I honestly find battle spot singles to be a boring format compared to both the smogon formats and battle spot doubles and vgc)

Mr-Joker

Banned
My top three Pokémon are;

charizard.png
eevee.png
gliscor.png

After doing a lot of thinking my other 7 Pokémon that I like a lot are;

infernape.png
staraptor-f.png
krookodile.png
lugia.png
decidueye.png
sceptile.png
tyrantrum.png

Not just that, Sinnoh itself is a cold region and gets more wintery as you go up north. The only reason the postgame areas are warm is because of Heatran. Justifies why things are the way they are even more.

Exactly and it's even further highlighted by the NPC as they mention because of Battle Island being further out than Sinnoh the local wild Pokémon are different that are found in main land Sinnoh.

Plus since you mention that the north of Sinnoh is cold, Game Freak did that great job in showing that the player is climbing up higher through Mt. Coronet and braving a snow storm to reach Snowpoint city.

In comparison in Kalos Dendemille Town is cold because...well that's exactly it, I don't understand why it is is as both route 15 and 16 don't show the player climbing up a mountain or do they give a sense that the player is heading towards a snowy area as they leave an Autumn area go through a gate and bam suddenly it's cold, it gets even more baffling when route 17 is covered in thick snow but doesn't quite capture the same feeling that I am descending a mountain or does it feel like that I am enduring the harshness of a snowy weather.

To me it just feels like the Snowy area exist because Game Freak was testing to how a snowy area would look in 3D and popped it in without any foresight to how it will fit with the rest of the region.

GoldStarz

In comparison in Kalos Dendemille Town is cold because...well that's exactly it, I don't understand why it is is as both route 15 and 16 don't show the player climbing up a mountain or do they give a sense that the player is heading towards a snowy area as they leave an Autumn area go through a gate and bam suddenly it's cold, it gets even more baffling when route 17 is covered in thick snow but doesn't quite capture the same feeling that I am descending a mountain or does it feel like that I am enduring the harshness of a snowy weather.

To me it just feels like the Snowy area exist because Game Freak was testing to how a snowy area would look in 3D and popped it in without any foresight to how it will fit with the rest of the region.

I always got the feeling that GameFreak was trying to show the progression of time through your journey by putting Gen V's Seasons into the actual environments but it just doesn't really work because the story goes by so fast once you get past the bloated 'Spring' sections of the game.

Also really hope they bring back and improve Seasons next gen. They were a good idea that wasn't implemented to the best it could've been.

Forkball

Seasons should last a week, not a month. I definitely would like more transitional weather in general instead of it always raining on one route. Look at how weather affected how you played in Breath of the Wild. Even Animal Crossing has different gameplay mechanics based on the weather, such as certain items appearing and the frequency of specific animals.

GoldStarz

Seasons should last a week, not a month. I definitely would like more transitional weather in general instead of it always raining on one route. Look at how weather affected how you played in Breath of the Wild. Even Animal Crossing has different gameplay mechanics based on the weather, such as certain items appearing and the frequency of specific animals.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant by 'improve'. A month is way too long for people to experience a season, doing it in a week long makes it long enough to enjoy but short enough for it to not feel like it's lasting forever.

Also, didn't they have random rain storms in X/Y? If they can do that, then weather changes should be possible.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been playing the ever loving crap out of Moon.

Did a game where I catch the first pokémon in a screen and then wonder trade it, repeat until E4 was over. Tonight I got all the TMs and Zygarde cores. Tomorrow I'm going to catch all the legendaries and Ultra beasts, and maybe finish my living gen vii dex.

I also need to go back and get the TMs and cores in Sun.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I always got the feeling that GameFreak was trying to show the progression of time through your journey by putting Gen V's Seasons into the actual environments but it just doesn't really work because the story goes by so fast once you get past the bloated 'Spring' sections of the game.

Yeah, a lot of the theme and story lore in X and Y just doesn't work or make sense like;

-What is the meaning behind Kalos season theme?

-What role does Xerneas and Yveltal play in during the war and in the Kalos lore?

-What is the meaning behind the Chamber of Emptiness?

-Why is Route 13 a wasteland?

-Where does Zygarde and the gen 6 event Pokémon fit within the Kalos lore?

-Why is Zygarde cells and cores found in Alola?

-Why are the Kanto legendary birds found in Kalos and what is their connection to the Sea Spirit's Den?

-Why is Mewtwo in Kalos and how did his mega stone came to be, was it also created by Scientist who created him?

-What is the meaning behind the Sundial in Anistar City and what is its connection to Mega stones?

-How does this all relate to the theme of Beauty?

Plus in the Game Informer interview Masuda stated that the theme of X and Y was was going on a journey with friends but I feel that this was not done well as Shauna, Tierno and Trevor barely got any character development and were one dimensional as everyone in the group were happy, friendly and never seemed to have any frustration at all.

Serena/Calem is the only person in the group that seemed to have some character development and even stated that they would get frustrated every time they lost to the player in battle.

The other reason why I never felt the whole "it's an adventure with friends" is because everyone is off doing their own thing and the player is pretty on their lonesome, they should have more moments like in Santalune Forest where everyone is in the same area and you can talk to them but they are off doing their own thing leaving the player free to explore that area and they move to the next area with you.

Honestly I feel that Black and White did a better job of being on an adventure with your friends and really flesh out both Bianca and Cheren as both developed over the course the game and Black and White 2 showed where their path led them to.

My other disappointment is that I felt that Malva was very underdeveloped and since she was in charge of Team Flare at the end of the game and was still loyal to Lysandre, I thought that this would lead into her continuing his visions with Zygarde in "Pokémon Z" but alas that wasn't the case.

Honestly I found X and Y to be disappointing and I had always hoped that "Pokémon Z" would impress me and fill in the blanks that X and Y left but since that didn't happened I feel that Kalos never reached its full potential.

Agreed, which was something that I was expecting them to improve in X and Y but that never happened as Game Freak seemly dropped that feature.

Also, didn't they have random rain storms in X/Y? If they can do that, then weather changes should be possible.

Yep some routes in X and Y would randomly rain, which is going to be a bit of a pain for me in Pokémon X when I need to Sliggoo into a Goodra.

GoldStarz

Yeah, a lot of the theme and story lore in X and Y just doesn't work or make sense like;
[...]

-How does this all relate to the theme of Beauty?
I'm pretty sure that was just an aesthetic theme, which really fell flat because both Alola and its Pokemon are way nicer looking than Gen VI's (obviously that's subjective, but it seems to be a relatively shared opinion from what I've seen)

Plus in the Game Informer interview Masuda stated that the theme of X and Y was was going on a journey with friends but I feel that this was not done well as Shauna, Tierno and Trevor barely got any character development and were one dimensional as everyone in the group were happy, friendly and never seemed to have any frustration at all.

Serena/Calem is the only person in the group that seemed to have some character development and even stated that they would get frustrated every time they lost to the player in battle.

The other reason why I never felt the whole "it's an adventure with friends" is because everyone is off doing their own thing and the player is pretty on their lonesome, they should have more moments like in Santalune Forest where everyone is in the same area and you can talk to them but they are off doing their own thing leaving the player free to explore that area and they move to the next area with you.

Honestly I feel that Black and White did a better job of being on an adventure with your friends and really flesh out both Bianca and Cheren as both developed over the course the game and Black and White 2 showed where their path led them to.
It's really sad because there's a lot of potential with the three of them as shown by the times where the game does actually care about making you like them such as the earlier scenes and during the bridge battle near the end of the game (also, these three had me on the ropes way more than "My Parents Are Pokemon Trainers So I'm The Best" did). As it stands, the three feel more like a fan club and your rival more like a whiny stalker who won't leave you alone until you annihilate them in a battle.

B/W has a couple of problems with not showcasing your friends as much as they could too in some places, but at least they're given enough time and characterization that I can have an opinion on them. In B2W2, I was annoyed that their roles weren't reversed because I thought it would've been more in-character that Bianca takes up battling since she ends up with a better team than Cheren just by heart while Cheren would've given up on the league realizing that strength wasn't necessary and he was already well-versed in Pokemon knowledge. If we got a Pokemon Z2, I don't think I'd care one bit what became of those three. I'd honestly be more invested in Emma, a character who only shows up in the 30-minute long post-game story.

My other disappointment is that I felt that Malva was very underdeveloped and since she was in charge of Team Flare at the end of the game and was still loyal to Lysandre, I thought that this would lead into her continuing his visions with Zygarde in "Pokémon Z" but alas that wasn't the case.

Honestly I found X and Y to be disappointing and I had always hoped that "Pokémon Z" would impress me and fill in the blanks that X and Y left but since that didn't happened I feel that Kalos never reached its full potential.
There's a lot of plot threads they don't really follow up on, I think they just put Gen VI down as a lost cause and moved on.

Agreed, which was something that I was expecting them to improve in X and Y but that never happened as Game Freak seemly dropped that feature.

I still have hope it can return, day/night cycles went away for a generation but they came back in Gen IV, also seasons don't really make sense in a tropical place like Alola where seasons wouldn't have caused much difference

Forkball

From a design perspective, every Pokemon in Kalos is amazing outside of the barnacle bros. Quality over quantity. Not to mention many of them were very useful in both the game and competitively.

You already forgot about the following Alola Pokemon:

250px-755Morelull.png

250px-761Bounsweet.png

250px-764Comfey.png

250px-776Turtonator.png

250px-780Drampa.png

GoldStarz

From a design perspective, every Pokemon in Kalos is amazing outside of the barnacle bros. Quality over quantity. Not to mention many of them were very useful in both the game and competitively.

[snip]

OMG, two of these are literally Pokemon owned by main characters in the anime, what are you even talking about.

also barnacle man is one of the better kalos designs, it's funny and creative

Tyrantrum is better than any of the shit Alola has.

768Golisopod.png

Busaiku

Drampa and Turtonator are some of the more popular Pokémon this gen.
I wouldn't really call slow and steady a best selection
There were only 2 different Kalos natives in Worlds top 8 when 6th gen debuted.
7 if you include Megas.

There were 9 different Alola Pokémon this year.
13 with Alolan forms.

Just cause Pokémon are slow doesn't make them bad, it just changes the meta.

Forkball

OMG, two of these are literally Pokemon owned by main characters in the anime, what are you even talking about.
Japanimation is for children, and as an ADULT I don't mess with such foolishness.
Drampa and Turtonator are some of the more popular Pokémon this gen..

According to what? I don't think they're used in either singles or doubles prominently. Nor do I really see fans talk about them. I think both have cool designs, but both were pretty hard to actually find in the game (a problem with a lot of Alola Pokemon). If this is some anime thing, again, I ain't know about that. I wish Turtonator was better since he has a neat design and gimmick.

brinstar

The Ultra Beasts alone push the S/M mons above X/Y's for me. That's not to knock the Gen 6 mons though, they're pretty cool, there's just so few of them.

Mr-Joker

Banned
In picking my top ten Pokémon, which was hard barring the top three, I kinda omitted Forms and Ultra beast and I would like to mention the one that I like;

buzzwole.png
rotom-fan.png
ninetales-alolan.png
giratina-origin.png
kyurem-white.png
graveler-alola.png
gastrodon-east.png
charizard-megay.png

There's a lot of plot threads they don't really follow up on, I think they just put Gen VI down as a lost cause and moved on.

True and I should accept that fact and move on, just that I was so hyped for Pokémon X and Y and to see Game Freak to churn out a middling C grade effort really crushed me as I expected more from them.

Ah well at least they improved with Sun and Moon as that game is just oozing with charm and who knows when Kalos gets the remake treatment maybe Game Freak will finally give it the proper due it deserve.

Tyrantrum is better than any of the shit Alola has.

And yet Ash didn't catch a Tyrantrum on his Kalos team.
thinking-face.png

I wouldn't really call slow and steady a best selection

You are aware that Tyrantrum has a speed stat of 71 so it isn't like he's a speed demon himself.

250px-755Morelull.png

Morelull, grass/fairy and I commonly run into them on Brooklet Hill, its evolution is pretty freaky looking.

Bounsweet, pure grass type, a Pokémon that would have joined my Moon team if only her move pool was better. Her final evolution is also interesting.

Comfey, pure fairy, mostly a supporter special wall and has a unique ability that gives it 3+ priority when using a healing move.

Turtonator, Fire/Dragon type the first non legendary with this typing, was also a viable member to be on my team but it never happened, it is found only in Sun version.

Drampa, Dragon/Normal first for the series, is only found in Moon version and like Grandfathers is friendly to people and loves children and like Grandfather when angered it is capable of destroying mountains.

Hmm I guess I haven't forgotten about those Pokémon.

I just want GameFreak to make a freaking Grass Elite Four already. #justiceforgrass

Things that I am still waiting to see;

- A dark type gym leader, no Nanu doesn't count as he's a Kahuna whereas Gym leaders are different.

-A Dragon/Bug type, come on Game Freak I would totally use it on my team,

-An original Dragon/Grass type that is not simply a new form of an existing Pokémon,

-For Rotom Air to get a better ability, Levitate is just useless on it,

-Stunfisk to lose his Limber ability for something much better and useful,

-A Ghost/Normal type to exist, been waiting for this type combo for ages,

-A Ground/Fighting type, I have feeling that I am gonna like this Pokémon,

-The return of Cross gen evolution,

-The Pokédex numbering finally hitting 1000,

-Game Freak fixing some of the flying type Pokémon model so they have a resting and flying animation,

-And finally the return of Pokémon following you.

/Rant begins

How do you guys posts images directly on Gaf!?!?!?! I'm tired of using imgur!!! I want to post my ten favorite Pokémon images like you guys are too instead of just a plain old list!!!! I'm ssooooo jelous I'm envious!!!!

I don't own a PC and just have a phone!

I don't know how to do Internet text faces either. Lol...

:/Rant ends

--------------------------------

Ahem....

10. Scizor
09. Nidoking
08. Mamoswine
07. Mega Charizard Y
06. Greninja with Protean
05. Electivire
04. Mega Blaziken
03. Garchomp
02. Gengar with Levatate
01. Volcarona, Weavile, Dragonite (Rock weakness be damned!)

Honorable Mention

Dusclops

Favorite Ultra Beast

Guzzlord

Favorite Legendary

Mewtwo

Favorite Mythical

Genesect

/Rant begins

How do you guys posts images directly on Gaf!?!?!?! I'm tired of using imgur!!! I want to post my ten favorite Pokémon images like you guys are too instead of just a plain old list!!!! I'm ssooooo jelous I'm envious!!!!

I don't own a PC and just have a phone!

I don't know how to do Internet text faces either. Lol...

:/Rant endst

[ img]link[/img] without the space if you want to do it manually. [ url=link]text[/url] also turns links into hyperlinks, although I've been trying not to do this as much after recent reports of people having ads embedded in words.

[ img]link[/img] without the space if you want to do it manually. [ url=link]text[/url] also turns links into hyperlinks, although I've been trying not to do this as much after recent reports of people having ads embedded in words.

Edit: damnit! I'm going to use this post to practice what you wrote. Failed on my first attempt. Is there a paticular site you guys copy images from?

Also, major thanks for the explanation

charizard-mega-y.png
[/URL][/img]

Edit 2: oh shit I did it! Now I can be part of the cool kids club.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kamen Rider Chaser is good but he is no Tyrantrum
And yet Ash didn't catch a Tyrantrum on his Kalos team.
thinking-face.png
No, he is instead associated to Pokemon anime's best character.

Bonnie!

Drampa and Turtonator are some of the more popular Pokémon this gen.

There were only 2 different Kalos natives in Worlds top 8 when 6th gen debuted.
7 if you include Megas.

There were 9 different Alola Pokémon this year.
13 with Alolan forms.

Just cause Pokémon are slow doesn't make them bad, it just changes the meta.
That's cause Kalos was diverse in its local mons, which was my point.

KingBroly

Banned
I need to find a better place to level up my Pokemon in Sun besides where the Pokemon League is.

It feels like this game has so many arbitrary rules for evolution and catching Pokemon. It ticks me off just a bit.

I still haven't gotten into Breeding Pokemon, as well as trading for Pokemon from the other version. Not to mention Type: Null which I'll need another of for a Living Dex.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So for some reason I decided to redownload Pokémon Go, the very first Pokémon that appeared was an Eevee and I caught it...well then that was interesting.

Also learnt that my Charmander is a girl....guess I gotta hunt for a Male Charmander and nickname it Char.

Also I do wish that we could transfer captured Pokémon over to the main series as I actually liked the capturing aspect of the game rather than the battling aspect which is just hot garbage, though I wouldn't put it past Niantic to mess it up.

Edit: damnit! I'm going to use this post to practice what you wrote. Failed on my first attempt. Is there a paticular site you guys copy images from?

Also, major thanks for the explanation

charizard-mega-y.png
[/URL][/img]

Edit 2: oh shit I did it! Now I can be part of the cool kids club.

Yay,

giphy.gif

No, he is instead associated to Pokemon anime's best character.

Bonnie!

Bonwho?

That's cause Kalos was diverse in its local mons, which was my point.[/QUOTE]

Nooooooooooo!

tenor.gif

I hate that Hiker.

GoldStarz

I need to find a better place to level up my Pokemon in Sun besides where the Pokemon League is.

It feels like this game has so many arbitrary rules for evolution and catching Pokemon. It ticks me off just a bit.

I still haven't gotten into Breeding Pokemon, as well as trading for Pokemon from the other version. Not to mention Type: Null which I'll need another of for a Living Dex.
I mean, there's a convoluted way to level up to 100 faster, but you need a decent Festival Plaza rank, a bunch of points and a couple of days.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I was finishing up my living dex last night before realizing that I had all of my Volcanions still left as Mystery Gifts in the gen 6 games. So I booted up X for the first time in months after marathoning Sun and Moon for the last few weeks and HOLY SHIT does X look bad in comparison. I remember being sort of shocked going from Black 2 to Diamond whenever I needed something completing that dex but it is hard to believe that these are same platform let alone basically the same engine. Sun/Moon look so much better than X.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love the trials and hope they just don't replace them with gyms in US/UM. Frankly the only change I'd make is to add the missing ones into Poni.

Top Bottom