• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well it's not my fault people have really poor, selective memory, so that's not on me. Makes me wonder why bother talking to them even!

Well I don't even remember what mega even exist or what they look like...it's like they don't exist in my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mallows island trial..This totem Pokémon...no fire Pokémon...my slow ass ArchOwl(dartrix). Lord

Personally I find Totem Pokémon battle to be super easy, with the exception of Mallow as that one requires me to plan carefully but not because Lurantis is hard to fight but because Trumbeak can quickly overpower my Charmeleon and I need to get it out as quickly as possible to get Lurantis to summon Castform so it can set up sunny day thus powering up my fire type moves.

I love the trials and hope they just don't replace them with gyms in US/UM. Frankly the only change I'd make is to add the missing ones into Poni.

Trials are probably still in Ultra Sun and Moon and honestly I hope that will be the last time we see them as I feel that they are an Alolan thing and I much prefer Gym as Trial just don't quite capture that feeling and fighting totem Pokémon just feel like fighting a wild Pokémon that I can't capture.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like Totem pokemon a lot. They're the bosses of the area and have 100% SOS rates and aura boosts. Fun fights if you're not overleveled. Usually on these replays though I'm just too stronk and its not a real challenge, but I tried to stay around their level when I first played Sun and some of them required some planning to get through.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Limited appearances.
The other trial captains have mich more significant appearances.

You fight her on the way to the battle tree and again in the middle of the UB quest. I agree that it could have been more, and that a real trial would have been nice but those are pretty fun teams she has.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly I hated Island trial and would rush them but in Moon I quickly realised that they go by pretty quick and the gap between them is reasonable nor are they the true focus of the game, it's Lilly and Nebby who is the trial is just an ends mean to get the player to hop to Island to Island.

However while I am meh towards them, I don't even mind their return in Ultra Sun and Moon, like I said before I much prefer gyms as I feel that it's a test of my skills and Pokémon whereas I don't feel that in Island trial.

I am just grateful that I can at least fight the Trial Captains as I treated them as a mini Gym Leader.

ppl kept saying S/M was too easy but a couple of those fights tore my ass up lol

Other than Totem Lurantis the other were pretty easy as I quickly figured out that if I just focused all my attack on the Totem Pokémon and not the ally Pokémon then I have pretty won the battle, especially Totem Kommo-o who was a joke I defeated it in one go.

Now that isn't to say that Sun and Moon is brain dead easy like X and Y as Gladion, Hau, Guzma and Lusamine were pretty tough, especially Lusamine whom feel has a team that is on par with Cynthia.

Plus Lusamine is someone whom I wanted to appear in the Pokémon series for years, a female villain who was nice on the outside but was dark and twisted in the inside.

I really hope that Lusamine gets a bigger role in Ultra Sun and Moon because I feel that Sun and Moon only just scratched the surface with her.

Also hope that Gladion gets a bigger role as well as I feel that he didn't get much screen time and that his character development was rushed.

You fight her on the way to the battle tree and again in the middle of the UB quest. I agree that it could have been more, and that a real trial would have been nice but those are pretty fun teams she has.

I bet you that she will probably have a trial along with some trial captains being different in Sun and Moon.

KingBroly

Banned
*gets to Battle Tree

*doesn't know what to expect

*Takes one step forward

*BOSS BATTLE WITH NO CHOICE TO SAY NOT READY YET

I'm not happy right now.

MarkusRJR

*gets to Battle Tree

*Takes one step forward

I'm not happy right now.
Oh yeah, that shit was the worst. I was training up some low level Pokémon so my 3 Pokémon that weren't level 20-30 had to battle their entire team. I burned through a ton of full restores and max revives and I just barely won.

I've been searching everywhere for a boxed (used) copy of Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and I found Soul Silver in stock in my local CEX for £42.

Is this a decent price for the game? Converts to $54 for American GAF. Opinions?

Weebos

Banned
I've been searching everywhere for a boxed (used) copy of Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and I found Soul Silver in stock in my local CEX for £42.

Is this a decent price for the game? Converts to $54 for American GAF. Opinions?

Average price I am seeing is ~$45-50, so not bad. It is worth even more if it includes the Pokewalker.

KingBroly

Banned
By accident, I ran into my first Ultra Beast and ended up catching it. I haven't even tried catching them, nor have I tried getting the Island Legendaries. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with the Master Ball in this game.

Getting a Living Dex in this game, despite a lot less Pokemon being in it, seems a lot more tedious.

Busaiku

because alola has shitty, limited selection is what I'm saying

also you get massive nerfs
I don't understand your argument.

Kalos has good selection, so they don't use the Pokémon in competition.
Alola has crappy selection, so they do use the Pokémon in competition.

Why would they use crappy Pokémon, but not good ones.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't understand your argument.

Kalos has good selection, so they don't use the Pokémon in competition.
Alola has crappy selection, so they do use the Pokémon in competition.

Why would they use crappy Pokémon, but not good ones.

Kalos has good selection hence why you see non-Kalosians more. It's more diverse.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
By accident, I ran into my first Ultra Beast and ended up catching it. I haven't even tried catching them, nor have I tried getting the Island Legendaries. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with the Master Ball in this game.

Getting a Living Dex in this game, despite a lot less Pokemon being in it, seems a lot more tedious.

A living dex isn't that bad this time around. I just did it this week.

You need both versions to get the cover legendaries and exclusive UBs and you need two copies/to play the game twice to get one Type:Null, one Sivally, one Cosmog, and one Cosmoem, and then just the other version exclusives. Nothing is super high level to evolve, very few weird evolutions.

GoldStarz

Kalos has good selection hence why you see non-Kalosians more. It's more diverse.

Oh, ok, now I understand.

Isn't the distribution pretty similar in Sun & Moon though?
I mean this was one of the complaints against Sun & Moon, lack of new Pokémon in various areas.

Kalos didn't have a selection, it'd be easier to say what Pokemon DIDN'T make it into their dex, since the whole thing has about 2/3 of the Pokemon at the time while the Alolan Pokedex is more about 1/3 (although if given the total at Gen 6's time, it'd be closer to 4/10s and this isn't accounting for the added Alola forms). That said, Doggie's analysis is pretty dumb, since if Alola's pool of Pokemon is smaller than you can't really compare it to the whole mass of Pokemon available. I'm sure in VGC 18 or 19, there'll be just as many Gen VII Pokemon as there are Gen 6 ones.

Mr-Joker

Banned
*gets to Battle Tree

*Takes one step forward

I'm not happy right now.

Yeah, that's is one of my problem with Sun and Moon is that they don't warn the player in advance so they can save or prepare their team before hand like;

-It would have been nice to save before picking the starter so it's a less of a hassle to soft resetting for the right nature or gender,

-Saving before fighting Hau in Ula Ula Island as he just launches you straight into battle and when I first played Sun I was no prepared and I struggled badly against his Raichu as I had the wrong Pokémon out and couldn't find a safe way to switch in.

I can't remember the last time I used the Master Ball, as I have a sure fire way to capture legendary Pokémon and it seems to work out well for me.

KingBroly

Banned
A living dex isn't that bad this time around. I just did it this week.

You need both versions to get the cover legendaries and exclusive UBs and you need two copies/to play the game twice to get one Type:Null, one Sivally, one Cosmog, and one Cosmoem, and then just the other version exclusives. Nothing is super high level to evolve, very few weird evolutions.

Version exclusive UB's?

aw man......

Forkball

I cant stop thinking about what gen 8 might be like
It will push the 3DS to the limit.
Version exclusive UB's?

aw man......
There's more than one of each UB so you can easily trade for them. Cosmog and Type Null are a pain though since you get only one of each and they evolve. Ultra Sun/Moon will certainly give us another Null/Mog so if you don't want to trade you can fork over another forty.

I wonder if they're going to go crazy with the old legendaries this time around like they did in ORAS. They typically try to shove as many legendaries as possible into a single gen, logic be damned.

Also I'm betting that some Alolan forms stay in SM with new ones introduced in USUM as to give reasons to still buy SM.

lupinko

Can you reload Gen 1 VC saves? You can do it with Dream Radar.

Basically copy SD card to pc. If game goes bananas like the old GB games were known to, you could just copy your SD card that was on your PC back and use that again.

Or do the Gen 1 games have some anti save backup built in?

I'll try this when I get home later.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kalos didn't have a selection, it'd be easier to say what Pokemon DIDN'T make it into their dex, since the whole thing has about 2/3 of the Pokemon at the time while the Alolan Pokedex is more about 1/3 (although if given the total at Gen 6's time, it'd be closer to 4/10s and this isn't accounting for the added Alola forms). That said, Doggie's analysis is pretty dumb, since if Alola's pool of Pokemon is smaller than you can't really compare it to the whole mass of Pokemon available. I'm sure in VGC 18 or 19, there'll be just as many Gen VII Pokemon as there are Gen 6 ones.

Well yeah VGC is mostly limited on what mons are available at the game. It's why I said Kalos was more diverse because almost every mon is available there.

Depends on how they do it, it can be utterly shit if they double down on their current path, or they might relapse and be totally good.

It'll be the most open paths/linear games you've ever played! Trail captains is probably a regional thing exclusive to Alola. They may incorporate something like that in the newer games but gyms may most likely return in my opinion. I remember at the begining of when XY was released I think someone at gamefreak was asked why X thing wasn't in the new games and they replied with something along the lines of that's exclusive to whatever region in was created in.

Version exclusive UB's?

aw man......

It's easier then you're thinking. Last gen it was Eleckid and this gen it was Weedle for me. Find a Pokémon you can breed and put them on GTS for whatever you need. All of my Alola living Dex is filled with Pokémon I got off of GTS using this method. Not sure if Weedle will still work.

As for legendaries and Ultra Beast it's the same except I use useless and spare legendaries from past gens along with random level 100 Pokémon I got threw GTS for a level one Weedle.

Also, Rhyperior and Electivire are great trade bait for almost any legendary from my experience. Filling out the Alola living dex was easy for me since I used Pokémon that wasn't native to Alola as trade bait. Took me like a day or day.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
UBs are technically not legendaries in that most of them have multiples running around, including all 4 of the version exclusive ones, so you can just straight trade one for one.

With the announcement that Pokemon Tretta Lab is being removed form the eShop next week, it reminded me that I actually have a copy.

Is there any way to homebrew a 3DS to be able to access another country's eShop? Or just change the region of the entire 3DS?

With the announcement that Pokemon Tretta Lab is being removed form the eShop next week, it reminded me that I actually have a copy.

Is there any way to homebrew a 3DS to be able to access another country's eShop? Or just change the region of the entire 3DS?
As long as you have CFW on a 3DS you're region free, I believe. My old one that I use for save backups and physical cart transfers can play physical Japanese games, I'd assume there's some way to access the eShop but that might get into some things that GAF doesn't allow discussion of. I'd ask over in the 3DS homebrew thread as they know more than me or look on GBATemp for details.

As long as you have CFW on a 3DS you're region free, I believe. My old one that I use for save backups and physical cart transfers can play physical Japanese games, I'd assume there's some way to access the eShop but that might get into some things that GAF doesn't allow discussion of. I'd ask over in the 3DS homebrew thread as they know more than me or look on GBATemp for details.

Appreciate it, I'll keep looking deeper into it.

The game is basically a big peripheral that comes with a download code for the Japanese eShop. I bought it a while back and have been meaning to try it, and I just saw on Serebii that it's being permanently removed on the 31st.

So the clock's ticking.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Speaking of Kalos Pokédex, I wasn't a fan of how it was split into three parts as it didn't make sense to me at all. I mean it made more sense for Alola than it did for Kalos.

I also wasn't a fan of how the older Pokémon severely outnumbered the new Pokémon as it felt like that they were being shoved out of the limelight in their own region and generation and as a result it took me a lot longer remember the gen 6 Pokémon because I wasn't seeing them often in battles, which is how I remember newer Pokémon and also why I barely remember Mega as only 3 trainers in X and Y ever used them, the Hoenn remake didn't improve it much either as only 6 trainers used it, with 1 being version exclusive.

Just as long it isn't a disappointment like gen 6, I will gladly play whatever Game Freak cook up.

Though since this is an even generation I wonder if Cross Gen evolution will return or are they gone for good as I don't understand why they have to be dropped as they can co-exist with new Pokémon, regional forms and Mega.

I want them to double down on the path they took with Sun and Moon for gen 8

In what sense? Because I rather not see Island Trial come back, not that I think it will since it's heavily tied into Alola culture.

Speaking of Alola, I wonder how they will handle Alola form going forwards along with Rockruff and Cosmoem evolution method?

UBs are technically not legendaries in that most of them have multiples running around, including all 4 of the version exclusive ones, so you can just straight trade one for one.

The way I view Ultra beast is that are aren't legendary Pokémon but their strength is on par with legendary Pokémon, if not eclipses it due to Ultra Space being a harsh environment, which in my opinion explains the Ultra Beast bizarre design, strength and their Beast Boost ability.

I maintain that the only good way to handle this is Black and White's way- fuck all of the oldies, here are the new guys to try.

I'm so sick and tired of finding Wingulls and Geodudes. Newbies all the way, thanks.

I maintain that the only good way to handle this is Black and White's way- fuck all of the oldies, here are the new guys to try.

I'm so sick and tired of finding Wingulls and Geodudes. Newbies all the way, thanks.
^^This I'm playing a new gen I don't wanna keep rut into the same mons leave it for certain sections or after the story. B&W remain my favorite

The clones might not even be that bad if they would just switch them up sometimes and not have both in the same regional dex. For example:

Route 1: New Bird, New Pest/Poochyena, Sewaddle/Venipede
Route [Before Gym]: New Bird, New Pest/Poochyena, New or old strong against gym type, Togepi
Post-Gym Dungeon: New Cute, Roggenrola, Morelull, Tyrogue

Sets like that, rarer stuff from other regions that tend to not get used at the start of the game and not just defaulting to Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Geodude, Zubat, Wingull, and Pikachu.
However, I'll allow Psyduck in every regional dex because that's a tradition at this point and a tribute to Masuda.

Bubble

Neo Member
The clones might not even be that bad if they would just switch them up sometimes and not have both in the same regional dex. For example:

Route 1: New Bird, New Pest/Poochyena, Sewaddle/Venipede
Route [Before Gym]: New Bird, New Pest/Poochyena, New or old strong against gym type, Togepi
Post-Gym Dungeon: New Cute, Roggenrola, Morelull, Tyrogue

Sets like that, rarer stuff from other regions that tend to not get used at the start of the game and not just defaulting to Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Geodude, Zubat, Wingull, and Pikachu.
However, I'll allow Psyduck in every regional dex because that's a tradition at this point and a tribute to Masuda.

And Zubat, don't forget Zubat.

Top Bottom