• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when your gaming predictions were completely wrong.

When the MVC4 rumours started recently I said there is no way on earth that Capcom would ever do that while SFV was struggling. Marvel wouldn't allow their IP to a company that was struggling with Fighting games.

Oh how very wrong I was.

AYF 001

Not so much a prediction, but I had hoped the pre-reveal Xbox One weren't true and hoped MS wouldn't do anything so stupid.

SMattera

I was convinced the Switch wouldn't be a hybrid, that it would be two separate devices that played the same (or similar) games.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was pretty convinced there would be a Pokémon Z but they just sorta... Skipped over the third game for sixth gen.

Same as there were clearly plans of "Pokémon Z" happening but for some unknown reason Game Freak opted to skip it in favour of starting a new generation and just chuck Zygarde in there without any reason to why he would be in the Alola region nor does he play a part in the lore or story.

God Gen 6 was a colossal disappointment in every way for me and the worse part is X and Y was Masuda final game as a director so he went out on a dud.

Dynomutt

I thought Sony was sort of done after PS3. I skipped that entire generation because the the way Sony announced the PS3 it was just out of touch. Said I was done with gaming. Boy was I wrong. Purchased a PS4 (Pro now!) two years after release and it has been the best.

- There was no way they would make a decent Deus Ex entry especially after Invisible War
- "I can't see Rainbow Six Siege lasting very long..."
- I never imagined mobile phones would catch on. Who would prefer these shallow experiences you would only play for 5-10 minutes tops on shitty touchscreens when there are handheld games available? so I thought.
- I wrote off FFXIV as a game that they ought to have just counted their losses from and bury it completely. They're wasting valuable time, money and manpower to redo a failed MMO all over again with ZERO guarantee of success and it will probably be a disastrous money sink that could well doom this company, I thought.
- "I see no reason why the Wii U won't be huge after how much of a JUGGERNAUT the Wii has turned out to be."
"They would never ever ever ever ever ever remake FFVII. Face it, nerds. It's way too much of a risk and an undertaking for them. They're just content to ship you ports of the original to kingdom come."
- I erroneously believed Sunset Overdrive would be one of Xbox One's seminal, most successful new IPs with a whole franchise to follow.
- I too thought the PS3 was doomed circa 2007/8.
- That the gaming community as a whole is a friendly and welcoming one to individuals and developers of all sexes, genders, races and creeds.

Tagyhag

I thought there was no way Sony could fuck up the PS3 after the monumental success of the PS2. (Thanks crazy Ken)

Then I thought there was no way they'd ever catch up the 360. (Took a while but they did it)

Thinking of FF12, I thought 13 was going to be an open world heaven (...)

I thought the HITMAN series was going to never be as good as the originals after Absolution (Although with the recent news this is bittersweet to talk about)

I thought the new DOOM was going to be horrible (Best crow ever)

I really thought i wouldn't like the direction that Rainbow Six: Siege was going, turned out to be one of the best shooters of the generation, so far.

I passed on the game until about a year after its release when it was on sale, and i'd heard enough good word of mouth to jump in. Wish i did sooner.

I also thought Doom was going to be terrible, its bloody excellent too.

I thought Splatoon was going to bomb.

Also I thought Until Dawn and Life Is Strange were going to be commercial failures. I figured they would be cult favorites at best.

Sony won't charge for internet they aren't greedy like Microsoft.
Well atleast they will have great AAA ps plus games for me to try on PS4 now.
Hey this powers show at the Sony conference looks pretty interesting. -_-
Nintendo is done the Wii U killed it.
Cod is dumb. Bland brown shooters don't tickle my fancy lma a distinguished gamer.
All this talk about the witcher 3 combat is hyperbole im sure it's fine and I won't hate it at all.
This Dead island trailer is great. You can tell it'll have a deep emotional story.
This gears of war trailer is great. You can tell it'll have a deep emotional story.

And my greatest sin.....
Friend: Hey man I got this game.. Called FF tactics, You like ff7 right? Maybe you'll like this
Young me: boots up game... Gross look at these sprite graphics!! Nah bruh I don't play shit like that I'm bout to go chill wit a breezy and bump this new J-Kwon album.

oSoLucky

I thought the N64 was going to annihilate the PlayStation and still get all best games(Square RPGs) because that's just what Nintendo systems did right? Boy was I a naive as fuck 5th/6th grader. Needless to say, I spent many hours at friends' places playing Syphon Filter, MGS, Resident Evil etc. etc. I mean, Perfect Dark, OoT and DKR are still 3 of my favorite games but the difference in catalog was staggering.

Also, 64DD will be a hit! Nintendo is saving the sinking ship based on some Zelda target renders!

I bought a Wii U on day 1 thinking it would be Nintendo's return to the hardcore. I don't regret it, and it definitely had hardcore games, but it was an unbelievable flop.

Burt

I really thought that after the success of The Orange Box and L4D showed they could succeed on consoles, Valve had decided to bide their time with HL3 until the release of the next generation so they could really cut loose tech wise and knock the socks off people again like they did with Half-Life 2, this time across all platforms.

Then I sort of let a glimmer of hope sneak through again during the early days of VR with HL3 doing for it what HL2 did for Steam.

I honestly hope it never comes out at this point. Just leave it.

ASaiyan

Banned
I thought Team Ninja x Metroid and Platinum x Star Fox were great ideas for collaborations, and that Dynasty Warriors x Zelda and Nobunaga's Ambition x Pokemon were bad ones. Post-facto I have a lot of love for the latter two titles, Pokemon Conquest especially.

I pushed hard for Bayonetta in Smash 4, but after the Cloud reveal I was sure the last Ballot character would be Goku, Shovel Knight, or someone else I wasn't excited for. When her voice came through in the trailer I literally screamed.

Arrrammis

I though InFamous: Second Son would bring some epic revelation after the first two games and continue the story. Nope let's just ignore most of the first two games and retcon the rest.

More broadly, I thought the Wii U would do better than it did. It's had a great time recently, but man overall it did not do well.

Vyrance

I thought EverQuest 2 would do better than World of Warcraft. How terribly wrong I was. Still loved my years in EQ2 though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I though InFamous: Second Son would bring some epic revelation after the first two games and continue the story. Nope let's just ignore most of the first two games and retcon the rest.

More broadly, I thought the Wii U would do better than it did. It's had a great time recently, but man overall it did not do well.

Second Son had the whole next gen pretty graphics going for it. Its good and all but I thought the series peaked at Infamous 2.

oSoLucky

Second Son had the whole next gen pretty graphics going for it. Its good and all but I thought the series peaked at Infamous 2.

Second Son and First Light were the first ones they I finished. Cole's story bored me to death, not to say Delsin doesn't suck. The difference was purely the traversal. It felt so good to move around the world once you got most of the powers, and FL improved on almost everything that I liked about SS. I think it still has the most potential for expansion/improvement of Sony's active properties, even after 4.5 games. Combat needs a real overhaul though, and 60fps instead of unlocked(haven't played on Pro though).

I remember thinking Evolve was going to be the next Left 4 Dead -- aka a massive success with a large, long-lasting playerbase. Instead it became popular for all the wrong reasons.

I also thought Brink was going to become the next Team Fortress 2. I loved its dynamic objective system and emphasis on teamwork, but it failed to deliver in too many other areas and was a complete technical mess. As a result it went nowhere. Dirty Bomb is a better game in almost every way, but still comes up short IMO. I just don't think Splash Damage has it anymore.

MrBS

DS would fail
Wii would fail

No matter how dire Wii U got for the first couple years I was all about 'hey now this might turn around you never know' because I didn't want to predict the failure of a Nintendo system again.

Eating crow now, drinking pee now, eating crow drinking pee eating crow drinking pee eating crow nooooow.

That's the Neogaf theme song when it comes to gaming predictions.

I thought mass effect andromeda would be great :( 2 hours into the xbox one demo, and I was just struggling to figure out if maybe I didn't remember mass effect very well or something.

StoneFox

I thought controller vibration was a gimmick (I still do) and that it would slowly die off as developers lost interest in using it. I think the last game to even use it in an interesting way was MGS2.

dottme

For many years, I join the fake hype for Shenmue 3 revealed at E3 but, internally, I never believed in it.
So happy that I was wrong.

Cracklox

I was sure after the killzone games, HZD was gunna have a pretty terrible story with pretty forgettable characters. Was always gunna play it anyway for robo dinos.

Well, they nailed the story part. Backstory especially. Characters, outside of Aloy, well, yeah.......

Top Bottom