• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is that Harry Potter RPG, Warner?

Voyevoda

I'm currently reading through the books for a second time, and boy, is there a huge lot of potential there. And with good adaptations such as the Arkham games (not exactly an adaptation, but still, a non-video-game franchise that made great games), Shadow of Mordor, or Mad Max, I bet they could make a very good RPG.

I'd see it like a Bioware-style RPG after or before the events of Harry's story. The character creation would have an Origins part (à la Dragon Age), where you could choose Pure-blood (which could give you an advantage on pure magic, given your magical upbringing), Half-blood (balance) or Mudblood (giving you advantages in adaptability/non-magic stuff, being raised in a Muggle environment), defining the opening chapter.

The stats, traits and abilities would later, during the first arrival at Hogwarts (or Durmstrang, or Beauxbatons, as a matter of fact), define the House in which the Sorting Hat would put you (like, you can't choose yourself; expect maybe NG+), as well as the wand you get with Mr Ollivander.

Having 4 Houses you can be in, the replay value could be huge, with different friends/sidekicks depending on where you're chosen, and different classes.

You could also basically have a Persona-style gameplay with classes and "S-Link", and combat, stealth (Invisibility Cloak, Polyjuice Potion, Disillusionment Charm, you name it), exploration in the castle, the grounds and Hogsmeade (having the Marauder's Map, if it's after James Potter's time, to find secrets passages).

I'd imagine an emergent gameplay (like Dishonored) so you can use your Charms, spells and potions in a creative way to get to your objective.

The universe is so rich that there could be plenty to pick from in order to make interesting quests. Mini-games would be easy to find also, I reckon (wizard's chess for example). And don't forget Quidditch. This could be a Gwent/Rocket League-level time killer if made well (could even be online to play a 7v7 online match with friends).

That's just off the top of my head, there's plenty more that could be said about it.

That wouldn't even be a risky bet given the popularity of the franchise (even nowadays with the Fantastic Beasts movies and the Cursed Child play) and of the RPG genre, I know they could do it!

What do you guys think? Would you like to see a current-gen, Harry Potter RPG?

Put me in a Penseive and close the cabinet if this thread is old news.

I'd be down for pretty much any Harry Potter game at this point. Unfortunately, the best Harry Potter RPG we'll get is probably the original one for GameBoy. :\

I really wish they'd done more with this franchise, as far as video games go.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How long has this been in development for, and when do you expect an announcement? Surely with Shadow of War this year, we'll either get a new DC superhero game, or this, in 2018.

Probably about 6 months in development, and maybe 18 months to 3 years from now* for an announcement depending on how large of a project it is.

* I think they would probably try to announce it within 3 years at least to help hiring for the game, even if it ends up as one of those 5-6 year total in development projects.

Probably about 6 months in development, and maybe 18 months to 3 years from now* for an announcement depending on how large of a project it is.

* I think they would probably try to announce it within 3 years at least to help hiring for the game, even if it ends up as one of those 5-6 year total in development projects.

Damn. Was hoping they had started work immediately after Mad Max.

It's going to be a pretty interesting landscape with all of these movie-games hitting over the next few years - the Squeenix Marvel games, Harry Potter getting a game series, Middle-Earth continued in the 'Shadow of' series, and DC games hopefully expanding.

Oh, this is the Avalanche that made Cars 3 and Disney Infinity, not the one that made Mad Max.

Oh oh....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Damn. Was hoping they had started work immediately after Mad Max.

Oh, this is the Avalanche that made Cars 3 and Disney Infinity, not the one that made Mad Max.

Warner bought them to switch them to being a AAA studio, since they really want to grow their output.

SalvaPot

Now that I think about it, its weird they haven't released a cash grab Harry Potter game for mobile...

Gasha system to get the characters you want.

Stygr

Banned
I'm not expecting much from Warner Bros, they have high quality games and developers, but their business decision is shitty and too greedy.

Now that I think about it, its weird they haven't released a cash grab Harry Potter game for mobile...

Gasha system to get the characters you want.
Please no. They'll have me rerolling for somebody like Alicia Spinett cause she can farm bezoars faster or something terrible.

Would absolutely love this, the source material is practically begging for an RPG game.

Just imagine being a student at Hogwarts, and all the mischief you could get up to.

Kebiinu

Banned
With the milestones the gaming industry has surpassed, a new Harry Potter game would be absolutely amazing. I really, REALLY want to explore that world in new light. RPG or bust, could even be action or turn based. Just no Gears of Potter, please.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I am all onboard with a Personalike Harry Potter game, but I would easily skip it if it took place pre- or post-Harry as you suggest in the OP. If I'm going to play a Harry Potter RPG, I want to play as Harry Potter and rank up my S-Link with Luna Lovegood and hang out with Hagrid and have a tense relationship with Snape and all that crap. Couldn't care less about what happens before or after!

T.v

The only problem I see with a Harry Potter rpg is potentially playing as 13 year olds. The schools are such an interesting setting, but I'd much prefer playing as a adult wizard.

The only problem I see with a Harry Potter rpg is potentially playing as 13 year olds. The schools are such an interesting setting, but I'd much prefer playing as a adult wizard.

My dream HP game would be set during Voldermort's rise to power, you play as an auror. Once in a while we get a flashbacks of our character in their Hogwarts years. Anything that happens in those years at Hogwarts will affect your characters abilities in the future. Hell maybe we end up in Slytherin but were tying play as the good guys or vice verse.

Like I said, dream HP game. If anything I just want an HP Persona game. The problem will be, what exactly would we fight for 7 years at Hogwarts if we are not playing as the trio.

I've said it time and time again, I'd love an rpg where your main focus is creating your character, going to school, having a chance to become friends with various cliques depending on what house you choose, and largely going to class while exploring the secrets of hogwarts.

Id actually prefer if they toned down the world ending event like the books, just focus on exploring the world. If they want to have you fighting evil, preferably thatd happen after you graduate.

JSoup

Banned
I remember reading that the issue with making Harry Potter adaptions is that JK Rowling likes having as much oversight as possible on anything Harry Potter.

Necron

Hate to be the one to point it out but... isn't it a little late to be thinking of a large-scale Harry Potter, potentially AAA RPG? Could this thing still sell well enough to be grant such a project? I mean, I love the idea and all but still I don't believe WB would go through with it.

Edit: seems like it's happening and being realised with UE4!? Wow...

I remember playing a Harry Potter PS1 game - good times! Always had trouble with the controls, though. The recent Bully (or Canis Canem Edit over here) thread reminded me of such school settings and all the cool Rockstar games during the PS2 era as well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if there is ever another harry potter game it'll be tied into the Fantastic Beast series. I enjoyed the first movie and looking forward to the rest but I want another Quidditch game or a fully explorable Hogwarts RPG where i can take classes and stuff.

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
I love Harry Potter, but I don't think it lends itself well to any sort of video game. The reason people love Harry Potter is not because Wingardium Leviosa is compelling to think about, it's because JK Rowling writes extremely lovable characters. And none of that translates into a game. Sometimes good things are just finished, and Harry Potter is just finished.

batfax

My biggest want for a Harry Potter RPG is for Obsidian making one set at Ilvermorny.

I love Harry Potter, but I don't think it lends itself well to any sort of video game. The reason people love Harry Potter is not because Wingardium Leviosa is compelling to think about, it's because JK Rowling writes extremely lovable characters. And none of that translates into a game. Sometimes good things are just finished, and Harry Potter is just finished.

Do you not think RPGs are capable of featuring likeable characters?

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
My biggest want for a Harry Potter RPG is for Obsidian making one set at Ilvermorny.

Do you not think RPGs are capable of featuring likeable characters?

I do think RPGs can have likeable characters, but when the source of the likable characters will not be creating the characters for the game, there's nothing of value from the original work. I would rather play a Rowling-penned Call of Duty campaign than a Harry Potter RPG.

An RPG setin the Harry Potter Universe makes so much sense I don't understand why no one has invested tons of money into one.

Especially after South Park's Stick of Truth proves that you CAN make a great game that still maintains the spirit of the original series.

Lagamorph

I wonder if developers feel the time for a Harry Potter game has passed for now.
Maybe when the inevitable Cursed Child film adaptation comes out it'll be of more interest to developers again.

Having said that, I'd be all over a big budget Harry Potter RPG. Something like creating your own character and playing through 7 years of school would be utterly incredible.

Top Bottom