• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is that Harry Potter RPG, Warner?

Mazzo3

How about a Majora's Mask inspired game, where things happen in Hogwarts in real time, and then you can use the Time-Turner to go back in time and exploit the knowledge you acquired exploring.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
We already have all the Harry Potter videogames we need
336.png

lsarm

Neo Member
Avalanche Software is making something... From their Linkedin page, you can kind of see a storyboard of Harry holding a wand

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAn0AAAAJGRlY2UyZTdmLWRlZTItNGNlZC04ODMzLWUzNDAwYWI1NWRkNw.jpg

Raven117

An easy to play Harry Potter MMO-lite game that could play on your cell phone as well as a PC/Console would sell gangbusters. I mean...holy smokes.

I remember really loving the first two movies but I never read the books and the darker tone of the later movies disappointed me. The idea of exploring Hogwarts, when in the first two movies it was seen as a wonderland of sorts, is very appealing to me... But I think Hogwarts looked like a dump in later movies and I assume that was a more accurate representation of the books.

BD1

Banned
Bully x Hogwarts + full online Qudditch and you can have all my money WB

... give me a JoyCon/PS Move wand dueling mini game too

Bahorel

Avalanche Software is making something... From their Linkedin page, you can kind of see a storyboard of Harry holding a wand

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAn0AAAAJGRlY2UyZTdmLWRlZTItNGNlZC04ODMzLWUzNDAwYWI1NWRkNw.jpg

I see the wand but why do you think it's Harry?

I agree with people who think it's probably going to be a Newt game as disappointing as that is to hear

Unit 33

Where's my Quiditch World Cup game with dynamic weather systems that affect play.

First and third person, shove it in the Frostbite engine or something.

Arion

A persona style rpg set in Hogwarts would be incredible. I would prefer if it was about brand new characters and scenarios and not just retelling the story from the books.

Wouldn't purebloods having better magic be against the whole point of the story

Yeah I think your upbringing with bring a greater understanding of the wizarding world but not necessarily make you a stronger magic user (basically you'd be better at conversing with wizards and magic creatures vs non magic user).

Wamb0wneD

I need them to match the feel of the books as good as possible, with a sprawling Hogwarts that invites you to explore everywhere, doing all kinds of different stuff. Maybe something along the lines of a Persona day cycle with minigames in school, learning new spells etc. You could do a linear adventure in a more or less open world Hogwarts/Hogsmeade etc that would work really well like that.

It would be my dream game. What EA did with the HP license was a crime against humanity.

Warner Bros is probably still trying to figure out how to monetize loot box drops within the Harry Potter universe while still maintaining the thematic elements of the universe.

Gotta get them magical boxes full of ancient scrolls that teach you special spells...$9.99

PSqueak

Banned
I still think Harry Potter should have a game that is straight up the same system as Persona games.

On mornings you go to wizard clases
On afternoons you socialize
At night you go investigating the dark corners of Hogwarts.

It's perfect, would even work with an adaptation of the book plot or an original plot with OG characters.

I always thought about a Harry Potter RPG game similar to something like Mass Effect mixed with persona with character interactions, and with the school that appeared in the Order of Phoenix game, just better expanded.
-They should make a trilogy with years 1 and 2 - 3 and 4 - 5, 6 and 7 were your save and choices passes from game to game (the 7th year is most fastforward, and maybe not so much school, so its a much smaller segment and basically the ending.
-You attend the school after the harry potter events happen, with the kids of them (so just after the epilogue), you can befriend this characters or not (and will NOT be written like in the fucking play)
-You can choose between being a boy or a girl.
-Theres some type of new mystery, not Voldemort (not the play shit either), but shit will go down on the last game as you uncover a new villain (or join him)
-You can choose your house (with a questions minigame or just you deciding what you want to go, just like the real hat does)
-You can choose who will be your best friends at school
-Your 2 best friends will be your party
-Seasons pass like in Bully, you also attend classes were you learn new spells for your skill tree. Days pass like in persona games, with a full calendar, with morning classes, afternoon free time and night dungeons, with special events scattered around the calendar.
-The first game is much smaller, with only the castle (and diagon alley at the beggining of each year) to visit, while it starts to open more in the sequels (visiting hogsmade in the second and 3rd games).
-Theres quidditch in the the second year (so at the half of the first game), and no, you cant do like harry potter and be the chosen quidditch player of first year. You can decide not to play quidditch and do other secondary stuff instead.
-From the second game onwards you can have a girlfriend/boyfriend, and expand relationships with other characters (the first game will be more limited on that).
-Characters from the old books will still be there, Mcgonagall will be the headmistress, Hagrid will still be a teacher for animals, Harry will visit during some events as Auror, etc... Those characters are more set in stone and interactions will be not as deep as with the students. Lots of new teachers and studewnts will be created for the game.
-Collectables with the chocolate frogs card collecting (this time Harry is one of the cards obviously)
-Minigames like Exploding Snap, Wizarding Chess, friendly wizard duels are in the game, with tournaments similar to the ones on the witcher games.
-Let Rowling write the main story even if its only notes for the game writers (like the villain and stuff).

And of course the game is not canon because you can chose whatever you want.

This is how my perfect Harry potter RPG would be.
I know it would also sell a FUCKING TON, becuase fans want to experience the Hogwarts story by themselves (just look at how many millions of people Wizarding World at the different Universals attract people still, or how the london tour is always sold out as you need to get in advance always, or how merchandising still sells a fuckton). Being set after the events of the books also opens many possibilities, while still interacting with characters fans love.

Voyevoda

Yeah I think your upbringing with bring a greater understanding of the wizarding world but not necessarily make you a stronger magic user (basically you'd be better at conversing with wizards and magic creatures vs non magic user).

Yes that was what I meant. Sorry if it was not clear.

Battlechili

Banned
I'd rather they just make more Harry Potter games in the style of Sorceror's Stone - Prisoner of Azkaban on the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. Those games were amazing and really helped capture that magical feeling of exploring Hogwarts.

Top Bottom