• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ideal Time to Buy a Switch?

Mathaou

legacy of cane
So I'm building my own PC (~$1000) in June, and I could buy a switch right now, but I figure that perhaps I should wait until a new bundle or game comes out sometime in June or after June. What do you think?

jacobeid

Banned
It's not like the price is going to change, so you might as well just get one whenever you want to/can find one.

I would wait until this holiday to get a Switch. There'll probably be some bundles with Zelda, Mario Kart, or Splatoon 2 by Black Friday.

My plan is to buy it next year. By that time lots of good games and bundles would be out. And that gives me time to work through my ps4 backlog

Zerin

Not sure bundles currently save you much, from what's been announced.

Currently if you want a Switch the time to buy it is anytime it's actually spotted on a shelf.

Not a console I'm interested in personally, son probably getting a 3DS for his birthday in a few months.

Given that Switch just launched, it's doubtful that we'll see any major price drops this year. I'd say just do it when you feel like you'll have enough content to play. I bought mine on day one and plugged over 100 hours into it since then. In the same amount of time I would normally play about 20 to 30 hours of games on my Xbox/PS4. It's just all about what appeals to you.

Malice215

You should buy a Switch when you see a game that's worth buying the system for.

The Switch makes a great compliment to PC gaming.

Im waiting until Mario Odyssey and virtual console are out. Although if at E3 it turns out Retro is doing another fucking donkey kong I'm never buying one out of anger

I don't see a price drop happening until holidays 2018 at the earliest, so if it has games you'd like to play now then get it now.

Most fun I've had with a system in "launch period" in years.

Megatron

It won't be a better deal by June. Best I could see would be a black Friday bundle that includes Mario Kart for $299.99.

Snakeyes

I doubt we'll see much of a price drop before the holiday season, and even then it might just be something like $50.

cakely

If you want to play Zelda: BotW, the time to buy a switch would be now.

I'd personally like to buy one but they simply aren't available to buy in Chicago.

EDIT: There won't be a price drop this year. The Switch is hot and really understocked.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The logical conclusion is to buy one when there are games you want to play, no?

Sounds to me like you almost want to buy one just to be buying one.

FinalAres

I bought a Switch I'm struggling to get in to Zelda and as a result I'm finding myself browsing the eshop wishing I had something to play.

Everyone else is having the time of their lives playing loads of Zelda.

So it really does come down to: do you want to play Zelda or not. Simple :)

TS-08

Now but I want to maximize my potential savings.

There's just not much reason to think you are going to find a deal to save you much money until at least some time next year. It's selling too well right now. Maybe a discounted bundle for Black Friday, but even then, I wouldn't anticipate a full discount where you get a game for basically free. You're probably going to be waiting until the second half of 2018 at the earliest for something like that or a straight price drop.

Pif

Banned
Your 1000 dollar PC can emulate Zelda and by June there will be very good builds out there.

Wait for a sweet 250$ pricepoint. As a switch owner I guarantee that the console is overpriced and not really worth it except for Zelda.

OS features and online services are laughable even in comparison to what we had 10 years ago with a 360.

It will be worth it for sure. But later.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
The logical conclusion is to buy one when there are games you want to play, no?

Sounds to me like you almost want to buy one just to be buying one.

That's a bit of a stretch. I'm a massive Zelda fan and I would love to play BOTW and I have high interest in most if not all Nintendo IPs as well as ARMS and Splatoon 2. But I would like to wait until the hardware bugs are mostly fixed.

Regiruler

For what it's worth, I ordered mine about a month after launch and it didn't seem to have the left joycon issue. I haven't played it much to tell though.

Hindl

That's a bit of a stretch. I'm a massive Zelda fan and I would love to play BOTW and I have high interest in most if not all Nintendo IPs as well as ARMS and Splatoon 2. But I would like to wait until the hardware bugs are mostly fixed.

The hardware bugs are mostly fixed already. But just wait till the Holidays. You'll have plenty of games on your PC and by then the Switch will have a solid library

phanphare

Banned

honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the hardware stuff. the only issue that seems legit is the left joy con issue, everything else seems overblown. not to mention even if you do have the left joy con issue it's pretty painless to get fixed.

TS-08

The Joy Con issue is supposed to be fixed (and you can send it in to Nintendo to fix for free if it happens to you). The screen scratching issue was concerning but I've never understood it to be as widespread as the joy con problem. And a lot of people (like me) have put good screen protectors on it that you can buy for like ten bucks if you are still worried. Is there something else you've heard that concerns you?

Gaspard

Your 1000 dollar PC can emulate Zelda and by June there will be very good builds out there.

Wait for a sweet 250$ pricepoint. As a switch owner I guarantee that the console is overpriced and not really worth it except for Zelda.

OS features and online services are laughable even in comparison to what we had 10 years ago with a 360.

It will be worth it for sure. But later.

OP may or may not have a Wii U to rip zelda though, and that would itself cost $200 from Nintendo's website.

-----

In my perspective it's less of a price thing and more of a wait for games. We likely wont see a price drop for switch until holidays next year at the earliest.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Hardware bugs are just manufacturing issues that affected something like less than 1% of Switch owners. Like most all big tech launches you'll have some units coming off assembly lines with problems, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

DJwest

So I'm building my own PC (~$1000) in June, and I could buy a switch right now, but I figure that perhaps I should wait until a new bundle or game comes out sometime in June or after June. What do you think?
When it has enough games you want to play?

Wait. There's not enough incentive yet. (I was a day one buyer)

With your PC you'll be able to play the only game worth it right now. Just make sure to pick up a copy of course.

Mario Kart could be worthwhile if you have friends you want to play with locally.

Top Bottom