• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ideal Time to Buy a Switch?

Never.. I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. Unless you really care about Nintendo I would just stick to steam for indies since you already have a pc.

Skyzard

Banned
I have a WiiU but I like handhelds. Will see what's new at e3. If it's nothing then probably not for a few more years. If there's a lot announced (with dates), then maybe when odyssey is out.

Price and lack of titles are putting me off at the moment. Little worried about a possible revision too. Not keen at all on paying Nintendo for online though.

Let's see.

My ideal time was March 3rd.

Zelda day 1 was a thrill. Getting Shovel Knight Treasure Trove early was a dream. Blaster Master Zero was worth every penny. Bindings of Isaac was a surprise.

Can't wait for Mario Kart 8 DX and Puyo Puyo.

Still holding out hope that I am Setsuna or Fast RMX gets a US physical copy or a digital deal.

For not having a good launch lineup, I have found plenty to play.

If any of these games sound interesting, just get it. You are waiting for no reason unless you really want to wait for Mario or Splatoon 2 as your first game.

TAS

Get one as soon as you can OP. Zelda will amaze you and keep you occupied for weeks. Plus you have indie games dropping every week as well. I was never a big indie guy myself before Switch. But now that I can boot up a game in seconds and play anywhere--well let's just say game changer. ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a gaming PC and a PS4. I find the Switch to be a fantastic compliment to my current setup. However, portable gaming has ALWAYS been something that meant a lot to me, so the Switch fits my situation quite well. While I think the system has amazing games on it already, a good number are available via alternative means.

To be honest, if you have any appreciation for portable gaming and/or enjoy Nintendo games, it makes perfect sense to buy one as soon as you can find one.

mas8705

Kind of branches out depending on the game that grabs your attention.

Like Zelda? Grab one as soon as you're able to.
Want Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Try your luck in May
ARMS caught your attention? June it is.
Splatoon 2 sounds good? July will be your month
Holding off until Mario Odyssey? Wait until later this year when it has a release date.

If anything else, at least there is a nice stream of games coming to the switch to get everyone's attention. Question mainly is if you feel compelled to grab one when a certain game comes available.

RMI

Banned
it's a bit early to buy a switch now IMO. I would wait for one of these things:

1) Bundle with exclusive game I want
2) Hardware revision
3) if neither 1 or 2, then late system lifespan bomba price and scoop up whatever software I want.

3 is probably the smartest play overall, for most platforms. In all likelihood they'll probably get me with 1.

So I'm building my own PC (~$1000) in June, and I could buy a switch right now, but I figure that perhaps I should wait until a new bundle or game comes out sometime in June or after June. What do you think?

There will be no difference between buying it now or in June except that more games will be out already.

Laekon

I keep asking my self this same question. There are a few neons in stock close by but the only game that interest me is Zelda. I'm not a fan of most Nintendo games. I'm just not into platformers or racing games and thats the bulk of what they do.

I also have a huge PS4 backlog and one last semester of school to pay for but some how those facts don't stop me from checking stock everyday.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Well, I bought it for Zelda, and couldn't be happier. It's my favourite hardware, hope the software will match it!

Get it when there is enough to play on it. Zelda was worth being a launch buyer for me. But not for everybody. If you're okay with your Switch being a paperweight​ until you build your PC then dive in now, though Zelda may very well last you until then. Mario Kart comes next week as well so you'd be occupied for a while with just those two

Gradly

Do we expect any kinda a hardware refresh? I bought one and gave it to my nephews but I wanna get one for me too so any chance Nintendo will enhance the hardware a bit like improving the joy con reception, the straps to become easier to attach etc or that might take long time?!

Griss

I was thinking about waiting for Christmas bundles but if it's selling so well I now suspect you won't get more than $20 or so off.

In which case the only reason to wait would be for games and a better colour scheme. Colour schemes are unpredictable, so for me it's a case of waiting for Splatoon 2 and then jumping in.

I'd wait til around Splatoon 2 is released. You'll have some games for the Switch out by then plus you'll know what is at the horizon due to E3 to decide if it's worth a purchase or not.

thecrunked

right now, zelda is pretty damn good. i bought it on release and i'm still working thru it. i'm also gonna pick up mario kart (never owned wiiu) after that, probably nothing for a long time tho, arms does nothing for me, but i'm ok with the situation, my backlog on pc and ps4 is humongous

if you have to wait, i would say the perfect time would be black friday. i wouldn't be surprised to see a bundle with the console and zelda for $300 and maybe some discounts on accessories

Derkon

Wait until the fall when more games are out and you can maybe get a Black Friday bundle or some other deal on it. Hopefully, by then Nintendo will have VC and the other missing features(media apps, browser) out as well.

Sizzel

A fun time is late in the consoles life when it has a dearth of stuff you want to play. History as a guide. I am waiting until Xeno 2 reviews and Mario. Zelda is a gem if you don't have a PC/WiiU. to buy it for.

Let the system get its legs and maybe you will luck out and Nintendo will price skim and introduce bundles or a cheaper model, or you can snag a used one. Generally speaking, the longer you can wait to buy any console, the better it is due to cost, stability, and library.

If you like Zelda then i would say go buy one now ! otherwise, wait for games you like ?

For me, Zelda is more than worth it and Mario Odyssey this holiday will be sweet. + surprise announcements. I'm also kinda exited to play ARMS this June, looks like one of those games from the Dreamcast era.

If your main issue is hardware bugs I'd say you really have nothing to worry about. The only somewhat prevalent bug seems to be the Joycon L issue which has been apparently fixed. If you're unlucky enough to find yourself with a warped dock then you can just return it and exchange for a new one (assuming the store has any stock).

If you want Zelda, ARMS and Splatoon 2 then go for it. Maybe wait until E3 to see if there are more games coming you want? Might be easier to find then (or harder actually, depending on how good their E3 is).

DonShula

Now is the time. The price will be the same in June. May as well start looking for one right now.

Zelda is worth $360 US dollars.

If there is one you game you want to play right now, then get it now. If you are waiting for a game to play, then wait until that game comes out.

I've played hours of Zelda daily since March 3rd. So it's by far my most played console in the launch window.

In Breath of the Wild you can cook food and it is more fun that it has any right to be. This is me all day in Zelda:

giphy.gif

Basically I'm saying buy a Switch yesterday and play Zelda.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This is also an issue. There's been a lot of talk about screens shitting the bed or something - so there seems to be some problems with the hardware for some people. So any news on when that gets fixed?

Can you link to these posts of screens shitting the bed, I haven't seen such reports. Really the only widespread problem that seems to have been a big deal (in numbers who experience it) has been fixed (left joycon connectivity)

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I've been playing Zelda since launch and will probably play it daily until at least next month. Consider that when buying a Switch, Zelda will last you agessss.

flozuki

As soon as there is a game you really want to play, you have time and it is possible without problems with your budget. If these criteria are there do it. Doesn't make sense to me to save a few bucks and wait months or years. No money (especially these small discounts) can give you back to be part of the Zeitgeist and discuss with other enthusiasts.

Servbot24

Banned
I probably will in the Fall. There's no point in buying one now since PS4 has way too many amazing games, I just can't spare the extra gaming time. In the Fall hopefully I'll have some of those finished, and then Switch will be in stock and Mario will be out.

MTC100

Banned
I should have pre-ordered one to own it day one, I feel dumb now as I crave for Zelda quite a bit, playing Persona 5 for 2 weeks straight resulting in 120 hours of playtime surely helped a lot though.

I don't want to buy the system without a discount now as it's been out for two months already on the other hand I don't believe it will be any less expensive when Mario Odyssey launches sometime around Christmas, as people are still paying an € 80,- premium for it over at ebay to get their hands on an unit...

I guess I will have to endure for a few more months, perhaps the hype will die off a bit and/or Nintendo shrinks manufacturing and the price with it, 400 Euro still sounds hard to swallow for essentially only Zelda. (I'm not much of a Mario Kart or Splatoon addict and I guess I would only buy Fast RMX alongside Zelda)

Evilmaus

I got mine launch day with no regrets. Great system in my opinion. The UI and features may be fairly bare-bones, but as someone who plans to use it soley for singleplayer gaming, that suits me just fine.

The library might not be particularly robust right now, but there's a fairly good variety of genres at least, and Zelda will keep you occupied for weeks, if not months anyways. Picking it up solely to burn through Zelda seems fine to me, as there'll be plenty of content by the time I'm done with it (speaking as someone with a full-time job and girlfriend. Your mileage may vary if you have more free time to dedicate to games).

I can't speak for everyone though. Lots of people want different things from their game systems. Ultimately, I see this as a fantastic system to compliment my PC. Main triple-A games on PC, Nintendo exclusives and select indies and smaller titles on Switch.

All the cool kids are doing it, you want to be cool, right?

Real answer: go for it if you want to play the GOTY now in addition to a lot of fun, smaller, arcade-like experiences. Wait for Xenoblade 2 and Super Mario Odyssey if you want more games on a larger scale.

Top Bottom