• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ideal Time to Buy a Switch?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
my reasoning on ordering one now is

'zelda is rad'

plus shit is sold out here till god knows when, amazon germany has no idea.

my further reasoning is 'mario kart will be out by then' and i really wanna play that pretty explosion machine game and binding of isaac on the go is too good to pass up. thats a LOT of gaming for me as ive got a job/wife/kid so yeah. Zelda is scary large as well, i played 20 hours on a friends one on holiday and ill easily put 80 hours in it

Peltz

I honestly don't see what all the hype is about.

Unless you really care about Nintendo

11FiDF2fuOujPG.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Never.. I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. Unless you really care about Nintendo I would just stick to steam for indies since you already have a pc.

What a novel concept..

I mean even then your basically buying it for Zelda. Not like it's full of a vast library of Nintendo titles.

I guess you could make the argument it's gonna cost the same if you wait for more games in the fall though so why wait?

Tohsaka

I'll be getting mine this fall/holiday if Mario and Xenoblade 2 actually release this year. I'm sure Mario will, but I'm still skeptical about Xenoblade.

Parapraxis

About a year from release Is what I'm aiming for, or 18 months. Nintendo often puts refurbished bundles on sale on their webpage, so i'll likely get it from there.

Jumeira

Banned
It only has Zelda then the next big game is Mario. Zelda is worth it though, but prepare yourself to wait for the next big release (I don't care for Arms and Splatoon). I'm ok with that as I got a bunch of games to play on X1 and PS4.

MTC100

Banned
Just wait until July.

Then buy Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario Kart.

You really believe a Switch will be easily attainable when there's Mario Kart on the shelf too? That's quite optimistic, if one wants to play Mario Kart and Splatoon on the system, then the best way to achieve that would be to preorder one right now, perhaps it will arrive by July then...

Peltz

I mean even then your basically buying it for Zelda. Not like it's full of a vast library of Nintendo titles.

I guess you could make the argument it's gonna cost the same if you wait for more games in the fall though so why wait?

There are also a ton of cool smaller titles to play. And if you missed the Wii U, MK8 + Zelda is reason enough. They're both top tier.

It only has Zelda then the next big game is Mario. Zelda is worth it though, but prepare yourself to wait for the next big release (I don't care for Arms and Splatoon). I'm ok with that as I got a bunch of games to play on X1 and PS4.

You may not care for them but it's silly to say the next big game is Mario when Kart and Splatoon 2 are in between.

kinggroin

Banned
Don't be a tit. Buy a Switch cause it's in, it's cool, hip and hype. Zelda is pretty fun and will keep you entertained long enough until you aren't.

MTC100

Banned
Don't be a tit. Buy a Switch cause it's in, it's cool, hip and hype. Zelda is pretty fun and will keep you entertained long enough until you aren't.

That's the thing, is ~2 Weeks of entertainment worth 400 Euro for Zelda and the Switch? I'm not so sure and I've had my share of 2 Weeks entertainment with 120 hours played with Persona 5 now.

kinggroin

Banned
That's the thing, is ~2 Weeks of entertainment worth 400 Euro for Zelda and the Switch? I'm not so sure and I've had my share of 2 Weeks entertainment with 120 hours played with Persona 5 now.

Yes. Absolutely.

Here's the thing, if they stop making games after Zelda that would interest you, sell it. You'd lose some of your invest, but would have gained so much as a gamer playing what is one of the most highly regarded videogames made by one of the greatest videogames developer at the height of it's popularity. The community sharing of experiences is half the magic with a game of this magnitude and scope.

So do it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
We know nothing about online system planned.

So I don't even know what I would be buying exactly.

I'll wait for that first. THEN reevaluate.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I'd say there's not going to be a price drop or revision in a good while.
So, if it already has games you want to play I see no reason to hesitate, you're going to spend the same money but you'll own it for longer.
So, if you plan on buying it sooner than later, now it's a good time. If you are not even sure you want one, then wait.

I have a $150 gift card from trading in college textbooks and I would love to use it towards a Switch. But I guess Nintendo doesn't want my business, so I'll buy something else.

I would just wait OP until the stock is less scarce.

xealo

Sometime next year, probably. Actual system seller games would be titles like Xenoblade, Zelda, mario, splatoon etc. The system only has one game at that calibre so far.

jdstorm

Banned
Nintendo are planning on launching their paid online service in september, so if you want a switch thats be Bug Free, you will likely be waiting until sometime next year and a potential hardware revision.

If the Switch has enough compelling games for you to want to buy one now. You should just buy one.

CrisKre

Get one ASAP. this thing will change the way you play. It's so versatile and convenient its makes other consoles seem archaic in comparison.

Plus, there are notable Indies coming out weekly and the release schedule for the rest of the year looks mighty impressive.

Valahart

I'll ideally wait to see what comes after Super Mario Odyssey.

But in reality I'll probably buy one whenever I travel abroad.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How badly do you want to play Breath of the Wild? That will easily keep you busy for 100 hours or so. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is releasing soon for your multiplayer needs.

The Switch concept itself is great and I instantly fell in love with the hardware when I got my hands on it but games are the most important factor.

Honestly if you're interested in the announced titles and have the time/money, go for it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wait until store.nintendo.com starts selling those Refurbs for $200, like they did with the WiiU.

That's when I'll be jumping in. Probably in for Splatoon 2, maybe Mario, and definitely Xenoblade 2.

So I'm still about another year and a half away.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Get one when Mario is out. By then Xenoblade 2 will be on its way, Mario Kart Deluxe will be out, and it'll have plenty of indie games to play in bed.

Ushay

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Wii, even then that was for about 6 months.

Zelda is keeping me plenty busy (and my son), and I can see myself buying Mario, Metroid, Xenoblade and any other cool Action or RPGs games that may come. The family fun games would be popular in my home too.

I'd say by the end of this year would be a great time to buy.

Hikami

I'm holding out for a revision/price drop.

If a Pokemon game gets announced/releases for it before then though then I'm just buying it. Pokemon X/Y was my jumping in point for the 3DS too, can't resist those.

Top Bottom