• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

What's advanced about Apple's haptics?
Instead of just vibrating, it feels like someone tapping your wrist. It's not a technological marvel, but it means they can make it give different haptic signals for different situations (imagine tap, tap-tap, tap-pause-tap, etc).

billeh

Probably going to pick up the stainless with the cheapest band possible. I imagine 3rd parties are going to be crapping out bands left and right, and $549 is a ridiculous price for this band, however sexy it may be:

MJ5G2

Fox1304

Probably going to pick up the stainless with the cheapest band possible. I imagine 3rd parties are going to be crapping out bands left and right, and $549 is a ridiculous price for this band, however sexy it may be:
Can the black stainless be bought separately? I too can't fathom spending that much in the band.

How do you guys wear watches? Do you have them tight so they don't move, or loose enough to slide around some? If so, how's the heart rate and taptic stuff going to work well unless it is relatively tight? For example, when I wear a watch, I wear it loose enough that I can stick a finger between the watch and my wrist, but my Fitbit Charge HR has to be tight enough for the heart rate stuff to work even remotely accurately.

iMax

As much as I'd love this band, it'd scratch the shit out of my MacBook Pro when typing.

giga

How do you guys wear watches? Do you have them tight so they don't move, or loose enough to slide around some? If so, how's the heart rate and taptic stuff going to work well unless it is relatively tight? For example, when I wear a watch, I wear it loose enough that I can stick a finger between the watch and my wrist, but my Fitbit Charge HR has to be tight enough for the heart rate stuff to work even remotely accurately.
I can't stand loose watches. Snug so it doesn't move around, but not tight.

subrock

Instead of just vibrating, it feels like someone tapping your wrist. It's not a technological marvel, but it means they can make it give different haptic signals for different situations (imagine tap, tap-tap, tap-pause-tap, etc).

and that's not even taking into account synethesia

As much as I'd love this band, it'd scratch the shit out of my MacBook Pro when typing.

that's an excellent point

border

1 year from now, is the Pebble even going to be considered a smart watch? Even today it seems like the Pebble is as much as smart watch as the Kindle is a tablet.

What's advanced about Apple's haptics?

The simplest way to say it is that the haptics have a way higher information density than the traditional weight on a stick. An example would be that when the watch us going navigation, it can tell you to turn left or right solely through haptics.

Look for impressions of the new Apple trackpads to get an idea of what these can do.

1 year from now, is the Pebble even going to be considered a smart watch? Even today it seems like the Pebble is as much as smart watch as the Kindle is a tablet.
Eh? Pebble lets you handle notifications, texts, emails, it runs apps, and now has a color display. And you can add health sensors by just buying the right band (Pebble Time uses smart bands that can extend the functionality of the watch). What makes it any less of a smart watch than the Apple Watch?

Blackhead

Redarse

The simplest way to say it is that the haptics have a way higher information density than the traditional weight on a stick. An example would be that when the watch us going navigation, it can tell you to turn left or right solely through haptics.

Look for impressions of the new Apple trackpads to get an idea of what these can do.

Sounds like regular old haptics to me. Same as on other devices

In on gen 2 pending on how reviews are health improvements. iPad and iPhone felt revolutionary in the first release, but looking back the options were limited and prices were a little ridiculous at times. Thanks to all bold enough to test gen 1 for us.

jts

...hate me...
In on gen 2 pending on how reviews are health improvements. iPad and iPhone felt revolutionary in the first release, but looking back the options were limited and prices were a little ridiculous at times. Thanks to all bold enough to test gen 1 for us.
Gen 2 products also look bad when you look back generations later etc. That's just how technology is. Some people prefer to cope earlier while enjoying a new tech for a whole year, instead of not doing it, but truth of the matter is, it's all the same. Products are hot when they are out, you buy them and they deprecate and something better will be out soon enough.

Gen 2 products also look bad when you look back generations later etc. That's just how technology is. Some people prefer to cope earlier while enjoying a new tech for a whole year, instead of not doing it, but truth of the matter is, it's all the same. Products are hot when they are out, you buy them and they deprecate and something better will be out soon enough.

My justification is the jump from second gen to third gen is less noticeable than gen 1 to gen 2. I would imagine if I buy into this thing I would upgrade biannually.

border

Eh? Pebble lets you handle notifications, texts, emails, it runs apps, and now has a color display. And you can add health sensors by just buying the right band (Pebble Time uses smart bands that can extend the functionality of the watch). What makes it any less of a smart watch than the Apple Watch?

Well, not even comparing it directly to the Apple Watch but to nearly any other smartwatch, there's the Pebble's low-resolution display where text looks like it's being displayed on a Tamagotchi or an MP3 player from 1999. It just looks cheap and old, to be frank. There's the button based UI navigation -- no touchscreen or digital crown. To call its screen a "color display" is accurate but kinda stretching credulity when it does 64 colors maximum. It will never look as real and vibrant as an Android/Apple watch. There's also the lack of haptics and health sensors. I don't believe that it is NFC capable either.

Pebble has its place though and may end up servicing a particular niche of people that absolutely demand things like always-on displays, long battery life, or brilliant performance in sunlight and don't mind sacrificing other major features.

Terrell

Name me another smartwatch that taps you gently on the wrist in near silence instead of wildly vibrating in every direction. So far I haven't seen one.
Saying that it's "regular old haptics" doesn't mean much when it's used for vibration only in every other consumer device in its category. The majority of smartphones don't even have something that sophisticated yet, just the standard directionless shaking of the vibrate function.

And hey, it seems to have people who aren't even buying the watch excited about what it means for more sophisticated use of haptics, with Apple apparently "leading the charge". Why would a writer at PCMag be so excited over something "standard" or "old"?

http://mobile.pcmag.com/news/48535-theres-only-one-reason-to-buy-an-apple-watch?origref=

Corgi

Banned
oh god the apple fanboy wanking going on here is ridiculous already lol.

wait until you get hands on first before defending based off apple PR or apple fanboy blog previews.

Blackhead

Redarse
I can't stand loose watches. Snug so it doesn't move around, but not tight.
Where do you buckle your watches:
right on the wrist? e.g.
or higher up the arm? e.g.

Name me another smartwatch that taps you gently on the wrist in near silence instead of wildly vibrating in every direction. So far I haven't seen one.
Saying that it's "regular old haptics" doesn't mean much when it's used for vibration only in every other consumer device in its category. The majority of smartphones don't even have something that sophisticated yet, just the standard directionless shaking of the vibrate function.
Nexus One had haptic feedback. Even back on the iPhone 4 you could enable smart haptics with jailbreak apps. Which smartwatches have you used?
And hey, it seems to have people who aren't even buying the watch excited about what it means for more sophisticated use of haptics, with Apple apparently "leading the charge". Why would a writer at PCMag be so excited over something "standard" or "old"?

http://mobile.pcmag.com/news/48535-theres-only-one-reason-to-buy-an-apple-watch?origref=
hype?

Well, not even comparing it directly to the Apple Watch but to nearly any other smartwatch, there's the Pebble's low-resolution display where text looks like it's being displayed on a Tamagotchi or an MP3 player from 1999. It just looks cheap and old, to be frank. There's the button based UI navigation -- no touchscreen or digital crown. To call its screen a "color display" is accurate but kinda stretching credulity when it does 64 colors maximum. It will never look as real and vibrant as an Android/Apple watch. There's also the lack of haptics and health sensors. I don't believe that it is NFC capable either.

Pebble has its place though and may end up servicing a particular niche of people that absolutely demand things like always-on displays, long battery life, or brilliant performance in sunlight and don't mind sacrificing other major features.
With an NFC band it can have NFC, with the sensor band it can have sensors. It sounds like you are saying the Pebble won't be considered a smart watch because it has lower specs and in some areas isn't as technologically advanced, and that's just not how things work. A year after iPod came out, did people consider flash-based MP3 players as not real MP3 players? Nope. The Pebble has just as much smart watch functionality as Apple Watch or Android Wear.

And saying it won't be considered a smart watch just because of screen resolution and number of onscreen colors is like saying the Sega Genesis isn't a game system because it can only display 64 colors and has a lower resolution than the SNES could do. As for "real and vibrant", you've obviously never seen an e-ink screen in direct sunlight - they aren't just easier to read in sunlight than other devices, but have amazing sharpness and contrast, it really pops, even in greyscale (I love reading Kindle books in sunlight). I'm sure the color e-ink screen will do the same thing.

Guess Who

Banned
Nexus One had haptic feedback. Even back on the iPhone 4 you could enable smart haptics with jailbreak apps. Which smartwatches have you used?

Those are just the vibration motor gently pulsing, the same kind of vibration used in every single cell phone ever made. The haptics being used in the Apple Watch are not a simple vibration, it's designed to feel like someone tapping on your wrist.

Have you used the new Force Touch trackpad in the 13" MacBook Pro? When you "click" the pad, it creates a sensation as if you actually pressed a button despite the pad not having a physical button. It's the same tech.

Blackhead

Redarse
Those are just the vibration motor gently pulsing, the same kind of vibration used in every single cell phone ever made. The haptics being used in the Apple Watch are not a simple vibration, it's designed to feel like someone tapping on your wrist.

Have you used the new Force Touch trackpad in the 13" MacBook Pro? When you "click" the pad, it creates a sensation as if you actually pressed a button despite the pad not having a physical button. It's the same tech.

Yes I have used the new force touch trackpad. I've also used haptic feedback keyboards on smart phones. Still not seeing the difference here, but maybe it's a tap that has to felt. 20 more days.

border

With an NFC band it can have NFC, with the sensor band it can have sensors. It sounds like you are saying the Pebble won't be considered a smart watch because it has lower specs and in some areas isn't as technologically advanced, and that's just not how things work. A year after iPod came out, did people consider flash-based MP3 players as not real MP3 players? Nope. The Pebble has just as much smart watch functionality as Apple Watch or Android Wear.

So you have to buy two different aftermarket armbands to enable two different features that will most likely be standard on every Android and Apple Watch? And then I guess change them out when you want to do something different? Yikes.

I'm saying that like the Kindle, the Pebble will remain so far behind in terms of looks, presentation, UI, functionality and features that it won't really even be a part of the smartwatch discussion. It will service the people that very passionately care about the things it does best, but it's going to be considered almost a different product class. They will be out-spent and out-engineered in terms of iteration and new product R&D. They are going to focus on what they do best since they won't be able to compete at the scale or level of a Samsung or an Apple.

As for "real and vibrant", you've obviously never seen an e-ink screen in direct sunlight - they aren't just easy to read in sunlight, but have amazing sharpness and contrast, it really pops, even in greyscale (I love reading Kindle books in sunlight). I'm sure the color e-ink screen will do the same thing.

64 colors is just not going to look as good as a legit LED/LCD screen. Browsing pictures or video is going to look like garbage. And while text looks unabashedly great on a Kindle, it looks like garbage on the Pebble Time:

pebble-time-54ece1c39516a.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The haptics and general software are what I'm curious about. If impressions are food I could see myself switching from Android to iPhone in a year or two. I enjoy the notification stuff on Android wear, but it is still a bit clumsy, and the vibrations quite basic.

I'd love to be able to have a pedestrian navigation route that let me know which way to turn without even looking at my wrist. And the way notifications can be dismissed or viewed without tapping or swiping sounds interesting too.

At the very least I expect android wear to take some of that onboard, but the haptics may be patented.

Cloudy

Banned

I hadn't thought of this at all. I wear my watches loose especially if it's a link band. Another reason to try out the sport in first gen

Can you point me to a device that uses electromagnetic haptics? Or a phone or watch that even uses linear actuators? Haptics has basically used the same technology since the N64 Rumble Pack. This is wildly different. This isn't a controlled vibration, It's an application of force.

Esqueleto

Banned
I don't see how Apple's haptic feedback is a differentiating feature from other watches. Both offer the same functionality, only the feel is different. All examples given of how it's better other than how it feels is already possible on vibrating phones and watches. It's all in the software.

I'm more interested in Apple's heart rate monitor. The heart rate monitor on my 360 works great but only if I'm still, and that seems to be a problem with all optical monitors unless you have it on insanely tight. Hopefully Apple improves it like they did with fingerprint scanners on phones.

Servbot24

Banned
I will get an Apple Watch when

- It has GPS functionality without being tethered to a phone
- It is waterproof
- It has a more reasonable battery life
- It has bluetooth functionality for music playback

I think with those features it would feel like a must-own product.

So you have to buy two different aftermarket armbands to enable two different features that will most likely be standard on every Android and Apple Watch? And then I guess change them out when you want to do something different? Yikes.
Not every Android watch has NFC or health sensors. And yes, if you are out jogging it makes sense to switch out your band for a heavier one that has sensors built-in, just like there are people planning on getting an Apple Watch Sport along with an extra leather band so they can use the sport band while exercising and the leather band while socializing.

I'm saying that like the Kindle, the Pebble will remain so far behind in terms of looks, presentation, UI, functionality and features that it won't really even be a part of the smartwatch discussion.
Again, what functionality are you considering absolutely definitive to Smart Watches that the Pebble watches don't support? I can see why a person might not *like* a Pebble, but not how someone could think it isn't even a Smart Watch.

And while text looks unabashedly great on a Kindle, it looks like garbage on the Pebble Time:

pebble-time-54ece1c39516a.jpg
Depends on what apps are running. I don't think this text looks like garbage:
WP_20140809_08_36_29_Pro-copy.jpg

- It is waterproof

I think with those features it would feel like a must-own product.

It does have bluetooth functionality for music playback, Apple Watch can store up to 2GB of music for direct playback over bluetooth without a phone nearby. Or if you have your phone in your pocket, it can control the music the phone is sending over bluetooth. As for waterproof, do you want to wear it swimming or something? Because it is water-resistant enough for showers or the rain, or even being submersed in up to a meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

I'm starting to regret selling my Pebble Steel for my Fitbit Surge. The heart rate tracking and GPS is cool, but i miss the 7 day pebble battery life. I am probably sticking with my plan to wait until Apple Watch 2 is announced though since I have had a bad habit of recently buying smart/fitness bands and selling them 1 month later taking a 30-50 dollar loss.

Servbot24

Banned
It does have bluetooth functionality for music playback, Apple Watch can store up to 2GB of music for direct playback over bluetooth without a phone nearby. Or if you have your phone in your pocket, it can control the music the phone is sending over bluetooth. As for waterproof, do you want to wear it swimming or something? Because it is water-resistant enough for showers or the rain, or even being submersed in up to a meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

Oh, well that's one thing checked off my list (though let's hope it hits 8GB or more soon).

And yes, I would like to be able to wear it swimming. The Apple Watch for me would largely be a measurement tool for athletic activities including swimming.

What worries me, as an investor and Apple fan, is the rationale why people are buying this. CJ on P1P was nearly incoherent on why he wanted the watch and why it was better than others on the market, and Gruber has been mum on whether or not he would get one on his own (ignoring a potential review unit).

I understand the desire, but a $500+ purchase is beyond me. I understood the iPhone immediately. I cried during the iPad reveal because of its implications. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade and a shareholder for a little less time, but the watch really stumps me.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but Apple, and especially its fans, haven't given me much cause. I guess we'll see this year, especially the holiday season.

The rationale is that is a MUCH BETTER interface for many of the things you do with an iPhone.

But Apple cant talk bad about the iPhone so they can not openly say that.

It is the same thing that happened with pocket watches. People use to carry their watches in the pocket and they had to bring them out every time to check the time. Then the wrist watches came and it was way more convinient because you could check the time in no time.

Same thing with the Apple watch. Now you will be able to do many of the things that you phone does in much less time. Another example in my case is that i listen to music while my workouts in the gym and i use a watch to time my rest. So when i want to change a song its cumbersome to take my phone out of my pocket because I'm sweating, so changing it in my wrist is way more convenient. Plus the Apple watch would serve as a timer for my rest, and it would log all my workouts.

I know those are first world problems, and that i could do the same with a watch, and iPod and a pen and paper, but this is way more convenient.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Subscribing. Not sure if I will get one, simply because every watch I have bought in the past I wore for a week or two max, but very interested in the notification triage aspect.

Servbot24

Banned
What worries me, as an investor and Apple fan, is the rationale why people are buying this. CJ on P1P was nearly incoherent on why he wanted the watch and why it was better than others on the market, and Gruber has been mum on whether or not he would get one on his own (ignoring a potential review unit).

I understand the desire, but a $500+ purchase is beyond me. I understood the iPhone immediately. I cried during the iPad reveal because of its implications. I've been an Apple user for well over a decade and a shareholder for a little less time, but the watch really stumps me.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but Apple, and especially its fans, haven't given me much cause. I guess we'll see this year, especially the holiday season.

Apple manufactures desire.

The practical aspects will probably develop over the next few years.

Why? That's just going to destroy battery life, and there's really no point in having a smartwatch without your smartphone in your pocket. I guess if you're a runner that might work out, but using the Watch to map your run and stream music to your bluetooth earbuds at the same time is going to destroy battery life.

- It is waterproof

It might be, at least enough to shower with it. Definitely unconfirmed though.

Can't fault you here, but the GPS request is going to make this an even longer wait. Battery life for this tech (including phones) isn't bad because tech companies are cheap or lazy, the battery technology simply isn't good enough yet. Personally, I've always taken my analog watch off and put it on my nightstand before sleeping, so dumping my Moto 360 into a charger in the same spot wasn't an issue for me. Wake up, put on Apple Watch, wear until sleep, take off and charge all night. It's not at all inconvenient, especially if it can pull 14-15 hour days for travel and work.

No, it has that. So do most Android Wear watches.

border

Sport along with an extra leather band so they can use the sport band while exercising and the leather band while socializing.

Again, what functionality are you considering absolutely definitive to Smart Watches that the Pebble watches don't support? I can see why a person might not *like* a Pebble, but not how someone could think it isn't even a Smart Watch.

The difference being that you can choose your band entirely dependent on look or feel and don't have to worry about losing functionality. If I don't like how the Pebble NFC-enabling band looks then tough shit -- I have to wear it if I want to use NFC. If I stop off for a smoothie after a workout, I can still pay using NFC without changing from the fitness band to the NFC band. How much am I paying for these bands, and at what point is it just cheaper/smarter to buy Android Wear or Apple Watch instead of mix n' match FrankenPebble?

"What functionality are you considering absolutely definitive to Smart Watches that the Pebble watches don't support?" I feel like I've detailed it pretty well here, and it's not one definitive feature it's just the cumulative effect of all the areas the Pebble is deficient in -- display quality, interface, UI, integrated health/NFC sensor, voice/Siri integration, touchscreen, etc. At the end of the day the comparison between Pebble and its competitors is going to look a lot like eReader versus tablet, pager versus cell phone, PDA versus cell phone, or dumbphone versus smartphone. If in 12 months time you asked someone "Is Pebble a smartwatch?" someone may say yes or they no, but it won't even be in their mind as a consideration. Pebble won't have the flash, the features, or the ease of use that iOS and Android have; it will be its own thing.

Depends on what apps are running. I don't think this text looks like garbage:

Well yes, the larger you make the text the better it's going to look if you are doing with a really low-resolution display. But smaller text is going to be necessary for longer notifications and messages. My point is more that it's a stretch to say that "Text looks fabulous on my Kindle, therefore it will look fabulous on my e-Ink watch!" I don't know enough about the tech to speak authoritatively on the Pebble's issues with text, but we can both agree that the text is not even close to Kindle-quality, and looks worse as you scale it down in size. Though to be fair it probably doesn't look as bad when it's 1-2 feet away from your face as most watches will be.....I guess that's something that is better to judge in person.

Servbot24

Banned
Why? That's just going to destroy battery life, and there's really no point in having a smartwatch without your smartphone in your pocket. I guess if you're a runner that might work out, but using the Watch to map your run and stream music to your bluetooth earbuds at the same time is going to destroy battery life.

Apple Watch would almost exclusively be a fitness tool for me. Phones are cumbersome for running, working out etc. Beyond that it's basically a gadget for the sake of being a gadget. And yeah battery would need to be doubled at least to handle all that.

Might be a few years before I can get on board but that's ok.

The difference being that you can choose your band entirely dependent on look or feel and don't have to worry about losing functionality. If I don't like how the Pebble NFC-enabling band looks then tough shit -- I have to wear it if I want to use NFC. If I stop off for a smoothie after a workout, I can still pay using NFC without changing from the fitness band to the NFC band. How much am I paying for these bands, and at what point is it just cheaper/smarter to buy Android Wear or Apple Watch instead of mix n' match FrankenPebble?

"What functionality are you considering absolutely definitive to Smart Watches that the Pebble watches don't support?" I feel like I've detailed it pretty well here, and it's not one definitive feature it's just the cumulative effect of all the areas the Pebble is deficient in -- display quality, interface, UI, integrated health/NFC sensor, voice/Siri integration, touchscreen, etc. At the end of the day the comparison between Pebble and its competitors is going to look a lot like eReader versus tablet, pager versus cell phone, or PDA versus cell phone. If it 12 months time you asked someone "Is Pebble a smartwatch?" someone may say yes or they no, but it won't even be in their mind as a part of that product category. It will be its own thing.

Well yes, the larger you make the text the better it's going to look if you are doing with a really low-resolution display. But smaller text is going to be necessary for longer notifications and messages. My point is more that it's a stretch to say that "Text looks fabulous on my Kindle, therefore it will look fabulous on my e-Ink watch!" I don't know enough about the tech to speak authoritatively on the Pebble's issues with text, but we can both agree that the text is not even close to Kindle-quality, and looks worse as you scale it down in size.

I think if you're purely looking for battery life + a watch that does time and notifications the Pebble is the best choice. If you want something that can do what I would consider more multimedia-interactive stuff the Android Wear devices/Apple watch are more suitable. I am spoilt that using e-ink watches typically gives me 3-4 days of battery life. Not sure I could go to 18-28 hour battery life just yet.

Apple Watch would almost exclusively be a fitness tool for me. Phones are cumbersome for running, working out etc. Beyond that it's basically a gadget for the sake of being a gadget. And yeah battery would need to be doubled at least to handle all that.

You should look into the Fitbit Surge. It has a GPS receiver, so I can run with just my watch and still track outdoor runs. Outdoor running should leave you open to experiencing what is around you. Listening to music while running outside is dangerous anyways.

The Watch isn't really focused on fitness. There's a myriad of other entirely worthwhile options if this is what you're looking for, and they do offer multiple days of battery life, GPS, and more.

Servbot24

Banned
The Watch isn't really focused on fitness. There's a myriad of other entirely worthwhile options if this is what you're looking for, and they do offer multiple days of battery life, GPS, and more.

Completely true, but it's not really a pressing need in my life. More that it would just be an excuse to buy another Apple product like the bitch that I am.

I'm not a fanboy in the sense that I'll tell people how great Apple is, but I do enjoy owning their products. (In general I like owning products which work well together so I'll stick to one ecosystem. Main reason I bought PS4 + Vita for example).

border

I think if you're purely looking for battery life + a watch that does time and notifications the Pebble is the best choice. If you want something that can do what I would consider more multimedia-interactive stuff the Android Wear devices/Apple watch are more suitable. I am spoilt that using e-ink watches typically gives me 3-4 days of battery life. Not sure I could go to 18-28 hour battery life just yet.

I mostly think that the fixation on battery life will subside -- just like people got over switching from dumbphones that lasted for days to smartphones that lasted for 18-24 hours.

giga

Where do you buckle your watches:
right on the wrist? e.g.

or higher up the arm? e.g.

hype?

wrist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if Apple watch will actually sell more android wear devices than the manufacturers themselves could manage? By that I mean sales of android wear have been pretty lacklustre, and the increased visibility of smart watches caused by Apple Watch will probably have a secondary knock on effect of selling more android wear devices to android owners (many of whom will not, or cannot switch to iPhones)

Corgi

Banned
would love to read surveys on usage of android wear watches.

And idk, from using android wear and owning a pebble and watching videos of apple watch... ease of use is definitely pebble > android >>> apple watch.

ideally imo, a smartwatch should help with day to day, little things that you don't need to pull out the phone, like notifications for calendar events and meeting invites, and reminders, everything else should be done on your swanky 1080p+ $800 smartphone you just bought a few months ago.

No matter how high res your watch is, there is no way its gonna handle html formatting for most emails anyways, just read the title and dismiss it, or don't, and pull out your phone to really read it.

zoukka

I mostly think that the fixation on battery life will subside -- just like people got over switching from dumbphones that lasted for days to smartphones that lasted for 18-24 hours.

It's the single most important thing that we should be fixated at with smartphones and watches.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
would love to read surveys on usage of android wear watches.

And idk, from using android wear and owning a pebble and watching videos of apple watch... ease of use is definitely pebble > android >>> apple watch.

ideally imo, a smartwatch should help with day to day, little things that you don't need to pull out the phone, like notifications for calendar events and meeting invites, and reminders, everything else should be done on your swanky 1080p+ $800 smartphone you just bought a few months ago.

No matter how high res your watch is, there is no way its gonna handle html formatting for most emails anyways, just read the title and dismiss it, or don't, and pull out your phone to really read it.

I find android wear is ok for reading basic emails. At least in the case where I need more info than the subject. It would be nice to reply on the watch if a simple reply is enough - voice dictation should handle it)

Basic notifications seem better on apple watch. Quick glance shows the subject, longer glance expands to show more detail. No tapping/pressing buttons or swiping required. Also seems like information like weather etc does require a swipe, which isn't a bad thing - I still haven't worked out how to stop android wear popping up weather or steps information all the damn time. What's the point of a watch face when it's half obscured by info I don't care about?

Top Bottom