• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

border

Does the watch itself have a speaker on it? Or would you already have to have a bluetooth headset to hear calls with it?

Oh god, I know you can take phone calls on the watch but it's hardly an ideal thing to do. You must look more like a jackass in public than taking photos with an iPad.

a coworker has a galaxy gear, he kinda just holds his hand up to his ear like his fist is a phone and talks. it's nowhere close to the league of extraordinary tablet photo takers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you cant look at your watch for 2s while driving....please don't drive on my roads.

You shouldn't be looking away, but I'm talking more about taking a call. You'd be driving around with one hand while the other is up to your ear to hear properly.

It has a speaker but I very much doubt it would be loud enough to talk like a hands free kit over the noise of driving with your hand on the wheel.

Corgi

Banned
Apple is a huge brand. Add "Watch" ... not even SMARTwatch... just WATCH. It doesn't get much simpler than that unless you're an armchair CEO who thinks it should have been called the iWatch.

"Apple Watch" is so much simpler than the geeky Android Wear names: Moto 360, LG G Watch R and ASUS ZenWatch, Sony Smartwatch 3, Samsung Gear Live, LG Watch Urbane. Even Pebble Time is kind of in trouble, due to the lack of weight carried by the Pebble brand outside the million owners of Pebble products.

Sorry to hear you haven't yet realized all the benefits of a voice assistant. Instead of focusing your eyes and hands on a phone for 15-30 seconds, just hold a button down and say what you want in 3. I use Siri a dozen times per day to call people by name or read off a number on a business card, create reminders and calendar events, add items to my shopping note, launch apps, check weather, do math calculations, get directions, set alarms and timers, perform google searches, send detailed texts, and I use the speech to text function to dictate text system-wide pretty much any time I have more than one word to say. The benefits are especially appreciated when I'm preparing food, carrying stuff, working, walking, etc. It's a great companion for a busy lifestyle.

With an Apple Watch, it's like interacting with thin air.

interesting. As someone that's worked in many company environments (consultant life), i have never seen anyone use siri or google now in public before.

cakefoo

No, it would be dangerous while driving. Car kit or leave it for voicemail
It's virtually identical to an in-car speakerphone system. Actually- nicer because you can hang your arm on the door and the mic will be right next to your face for better clarity.
There are (often) times when the battery runs out within one day. After that I am unable to use my devices unless I charge them. There are (often) times when I don't carry my charger with me. How is this not a fundamental usability issue with portable devices?
"I like a escalator, man, 'cause an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs."

An Apple Watch won't die on you- it can only become a watch. You just lose the convenience factor, as you rely on your smartphone while the Watch is charging.

Terrell

There are (often) times when the battery runs out within one day. After that I am unable to use my devices unless I charge them. There are (often) times when I don't carry my charger with me. How is this not a fundamental usability issue with portable devices?

I'm sorry, you "often" run out of battery during the day without charging it overnight and don't carry a charger around? Or you are charging it while you sleep, but you're using it so much that you can't make it last a whole day?

I just am not sure where you're going with this. Because it sounds to me like you're taking issue with batteries as a whole, and their design limitations aren't going away until we fundamentally change how batteries are designed and/or stop wanting the devices we own to be lighter/thinner.

But until that happens, we take what we have and work within it, and such a discussion that it appears you're trying to have seems out of place in a thread about the specific limitations of a specific device.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

How are you running out of battery so quickly?
I charge my phone overnight and that's enough for the next day. The watch is designed in the same way.

This is the way just about everyone does it.

RoKKeR

Honestly starting to think the worst part of this watch would be the incessant "Oh my god is that an Apple Watch?" comments.

Honestly starting to think the worst part of this watch would be the incessant "Oh my god is that an Apple Watch?" comments.

It's pretty great for like, three days. When I had my Moto 360 people asked about it constantly for a solid month, and one imagines this will be much, much worse with the Watch.

Personally, I'd really like to see wearable tech explode so I don't mind trying to convince people to get their own.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Did some training on the Apple Watch Edition at AppleCare today. Found out that it comes with a Lightning Cable because why not, you paid $10,000 so here's an extra lightning cable.
Probably for the charging case. Which is separate from the normal magnetic charging cable which isn't a lightning cable, just usb to magnetic.

So a Sport will not get a lightning cable? Shit, I need to rethink my purchasing plans...
I know you are joking, but the sport comes with the magnetic charging cable. It doesn't need a lightning cable because it doesn't also come with a charging case accessory (Which still has not been shown anywhere as far as I can tell).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the watch can take advantage of the 2.1 amp USB adapter, and if so if they will debut the smaller revision that was floating around a while back.

How are you envisioning using the Apple Watch in such a way that the battery runs out within one day?

Corgi

Banned

been happening for months already with my pebble since the first announcement.

Weirdly enough though, people been asking if my iphone 6+ is the new galaxy :/

kaskade

I'm obviously not sure how some things work with this in terms of backlighting but I kind of hope this has a theater mode or something like that. Maybe it'll work when you put on do not disturb. It just won't be nice if people are sitting in the theater and all of a sudden the watch face gets really bright every time they get a message.

I'm obviously not sure how some things work with this in terms of backlighting but I kind of hope this has a theater mode or something like that. Maybe it'll work when you put on do not disturb. It just won't be nice if people are sitting in the theater and all of a sudden the watch face gets really bright every time they get a message.
Airplane mode?

I don't think the screen comes on until you lift it, would be a waste of battery otherwise.

border

interesting. As someone that's worked in many company environments (consultant life), i have never seen anyone use siri or google now in public before.

People are weird about being seen talking to inanimate objects. I have friends that refuse to do it in public. Even I generally restrict Siri use to when I'm in my car.

SuperPac

People are weird about being seen talking to inanimate objects. I have friends that refuse to do it in public. Even I generally restrict Siri use to when I'm in my car.

I gotta admit, I'm weird about it. I don't use Siri often. Mainly because I feel like pushing in the button, asking Siri, and then waiting for an answer is less intuitive than me just typing whatever into google in Safari. I don't use dictation for messages, either - mostly because I can't get used to saying "period" or "comma" or "exclamation mark" and I find Siri having to show me the message and confirm sending slow and distracting.

I'm looking forward to giving it another shot when the Watch comes out in part because they took away confirmation dialogs and I can just raise my wrist and say hey Siri to activate it. I don't see it catching on with me but...maybe. I wish it was as easy to use as talking into the watch and having it just do whatever you said. But if there's a confirmation dialog or if I have to stop and push a button then forget it.

I'm curious, I've seen quite a few people disappointed about the lack of sleep tracking, is this a feature many people actually find legitimately useful? I used my Fitbit Charge HR to track my sleep for a while but beyond being mildly interesting I just didn't really see much of a point in it. Also, the idea of wearing something that's at least as bulky as a traditional watch while sleeping seems strange to me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There are (often) times when the battery runs out within one day.
well no.. it's not out. at this point you are negatively assuming this, despite apple's estimates so far on the watch known to be quite pessimistic (most reviewers have said that in real typical situations they had no problem getting a "waking day" of use, and the 42mm goes even further than that beyond apple's usage times)

After that I am unable to use my devices unless I charge them. There are (often) times when I don't carry my charger with me. How is this not a fundamental usability issue with portable devices?

when you go to sleep you don't have a charger in your house? when you travel you don't bring a charger with you? Not getting how a device that is powered for your entire waking day can't be charged when you are sleeping.

I mean at least complain that you can't wear it while sleeping for like REM stuff, sleep patterns, etc

Epix

The screen only comes on if you react to the tapping and lift your arm to see the message.

I'm starting to get a bit more excited about the Apple Watch. Since I'll be out of the country when it is released, I'm going to hold off and read some reviews before I purchase, but using the Cogito Classic "connected watch" has given me a glimpse of what a real smartwatch can do, and the potential for me personally is fantastic.

In a typical day, I already wear a watch from the moment I get out of bed, until a go to sleep that night. I also run 6-15 miles per day, so fitness tracking is a plus. My girlfriend often gets worried about me being out there on the road, and would like for me to have a way to stay in better contact with her, and I like the idea of being able to control music and podcasts while I'm running too.

On top of that, I am self-employed and travel a lot, so it would certainly come in handy while on the road. Back home, it's perfect for keeping tabs on my appointments, controlling my Apple TV and music via Bluetooth speaker, and so on.

Basically, I'm finding more and more ways to use the Watch as we get closer to release. It will probably be May before I can snag one, but I'm certainly starting to get a lot more excited about the possibilities.

kaskade

The screen only comes on if you react to the tapping and lift your arm to see the message.
I wonder if there will be some think like phantom phone vibrations with the watch. I also think people will develop a really quick habit to lifting their wrist when they feel a tap. I'm sure there will be some do not disturb function though. Either way I'm getting really excited.

Servbot24

Banned

Haha, yeah even if I wanted one this would be too annoying. Hopefully in a couple years when i'm ready to get one they'll be common.

Corgi

Banned
That's a hefty discount on something new. What is the corporate discount for an iPhone for an employee?

border

I've known people who work at Apple Stores, and every time I've tried to talk them into a discount they've been legitimately frightened to even broach the topic. Apparently Apple is mega-serious about not letting anyone else have your discount and doing so is grounds for termination. I think you are allowed 1 or 2 purchases for a year to be given strictly as gifts. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a database where they cross reference the Device ID/Serial and the AppleID associated with it, and if the AppleID does not match an employee then they come hunt you down.

50% discount for employees is an indication that Apple's profit margin on this device must be pretty damned insane. I mean, they probably wouldn't sell them to employees at a loss, so at most it must cost $175 to manufacture one.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If your phone is off in the theatre like you're supposed to have it, you'll get nothing from the watch. Problem solved.
You know....... I get this..... But for ME my phone in my pocket on vibrate isn't affecting anyone.

With that being said... I am guessing DND should be enough?

Corgi

Banned
I've known people who work at Apple Stores, and every time I've tried to talk them into a discount they've been legitimately frightened to even broach the topic. Apparently Apple is mega-serious about not letting anyone else have your discount and doing so is grounds for termination. I think you are allowed 1 or 2 purchases for a year to be given strictly as gifts. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a database where they cross reference the Device ID/Serial and the AppleID associated with it, and if the AppleID does not match an employee then they come hunt you down.

50% discount for employees is an indication that Apple's profit margin on this device must be pretty damned insane. I mean, they probably wouldn't sell them to employees at a loss, so at most it must cost $175 to manufacture one.

probably, but its a win-win to get more watches in the open, and to keep those apple fanboy workers happy.

Which honestly isn't a bad deal at all. Can't think of many retail jobs that get 50% off the hottest new goods.

Heck working at AT&T, i remember you have to be manager level or higher to get the good corporate discounts.

iMax

You know....... I get this..... But for ME my phone in my pocket on vibrate isn't affecting anyone.

With that being said... I am guessing DND should be enough?

As far as I know, Apple Watch mirrors exactly what the iPhone is set to. So if the iPhone is on mute, so is the watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As far as I know, Apple Watch mirrors exactly what the iPhone is set to. So if the iPhone is on mute, so is the watch.

When the watch notifies you with a tap, does the phone still play the notification sound, or can you mute that? That's one thing I like on android wear - when connected to a smart watch, you can choose whether to mute the phone notifications. In a meeting or other area where I still want discreet notifications but my phone going off isn't acceptable, I'd want to mute the phone but still get notifications on the watch.

iMax

When the watch notifies you with a tap, does the phone still play the notification sound, or can you mute that? That's one thing I like on android wear - when connected to a smart watch, you can choose whether to mute the phone notifications. In a meeting or other area where I still want discreet notifications but my phone going off isn't acceptable, I'd want to mute the phone but still get notifications on the watch.

So this is the way it works.

If your phone is on silent and you get a call, your phone won't sound or vibrate—but your watch will tap you.

If your phone is on loud and you get a call, your phone won't sound or vibrate—but your watch will sound and tap you.

If your phone is in active use and you get a call, your phone will sound and/or vibrate—and your watch won't do a thing.

kaskade

If your phone is on silent and you get a call, your phone won't sound or vibrate—but your watch will tap you.

If your phone is on loud and you get a call, your phone won't sound or vibrate—but your watch will sound and tap you.

If your phone is in active use and you get a call, your phone will sound and/or vibrate—and your watch won't do a thing.

That sounds pretty awesome. I am getting excited for this thing. For example I was grilling and my girlfriend was texting me. It would've been nice to just use the voice to reply.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thanks, sounds good, but does the watch know if you're wearing it? Say I've come home from work and taken it off - either to charge, or just laid it down on the table. I get a call/message - what happens?

I'd like the option to also have the phone make a noise or vibrate as a backup

Top Bottom