• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

wasn't this what was rumored for the durango?

Immediate Gameplay
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.

Still shocked at the 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM.... Hopefully, I'm not shocked at the price as I really would like to go with Sony this gen.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
multitasking!
Immediate Gameplay
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
PS4 also enables games to be downloaded or updated in the background, or even in stand-by mode. The system takes it one step further by making digital titles playable as they are being downloaded. When a player purchases a game, PS4 downloads just a fraction of the data so gamers can start playing immediately, and the rest is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay.

Cbajd5

Does it have some new component which makes the remote play better, like Nintendo Wii U does?

This. If they promise Remote Play they have a standard to meet.

Also, about the 8GB RAM is that for games alone or is it for the OS too? I'd imagine a lot of it would have to be used for the Share stuff.

zoku88

Lol, I remember being extremely skeptical about the amount of RAM the PS4 would have. I guess I should eat crow XD

LOVE LOVE LOVE that they're bundling a headset with the console. Such a minor thing, but so, so important for Sony to take the next step with their online service.

I'm seriously eating crow here.

I thought there was no way they were going for 8gb GDDR5.

Nobody did because 8GB GDDR5 RAM is better then gaming PC's right now. CPU is on par seeing as devs will be able to fully utilize it to it's full potential, and the GPU is obviously capable of great things right out of the gate.

It's seriously a dream console in terms of hardware. Shit just demoted the Wii U to fucking Tiger Electronics tier.

jett

D-Member
This machine has 16 times the amount of memory the PS3 had, but a blu-ray drive that is only 3 times faster. I fear for loading times.

And yes, MASSIVE amounts of crow for the "experts" that told me 8GB was impossible.

USC-fan

Banned
WOW so many people got OWNED today. SO many thread were i was told NO WAY they willl even get 4GB of GDDR5.

8GB of GDDR5!!!! Just out of control.

Sony hit a home run with this hardware.

It cost $18.45 per GB of GDDR5. So around $150 just in RAM in the PS4. Just crazy....

B.O.O.M

Not going to lie..everything sounds just perfect. Powerful hardware with some really kick ass new features. And a headset included from the get go? Excellent

My only worry is the price. I was hoping for $399. But now it might be higher

Other than that Sony has done a great job with this system

This machine has 16 times the amount of memory the PS3 had, but a blu-ray drive that is only 3 times faster. I fear for loading times.

And yes, MASSIVE amounts of crow for the "experts" that told me 8GB was impossible.
I think required installs for every game might be a possibility.

So does the built in HDD mean that you will no longer be able to upgrade it yourself?

No, every PS3 had one built in as well. It just means it isn't an optional extra.

The second screen stuff and confirmation of an ipad app for maps etc was expected but welcome.

Double H

Why so negative ;)? HDD installs but like the online delivery where it progressively installs in the background.

A new application from SCE called “PlayStation®App” will enable iPhone, iPad, and AndroidTM based smartphones and tablets*3 to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices.
Has me piqued.

amazing, truly amazing. I will buy day 1. I couldn't care less what microsoft does. Playstation is finally back. Congratulations Sony, you have not let us down. Lots of love!!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i wish they would have been a little more clear on what they're doing with the move

IS IT BUNDLED?! IS THE TECHNOLOGY IMPROVED?! ERGONOMICS?! DESIGN CHANGE?!

Top Bottom