• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This machine has 16 times the amount of memory the PS3 had, but a blu-ray drive that is only 3 times faster. I fear for loading times.

And yes, MASSIVE amounts of crow for the "experts" that told me 8GB was impossible.

everyone on this forum is eating crow over denying the possibility of 8gbs of gddr3

gtx titan be damned

Instro

Certainly surprised about the RAM, would have thought 4. I appreciate that they seem to be releasing normal specs, rather than just exaggerating some numbers like they have done in the past.

Krabardaf

Can't understand why they'd want to go with a speaker instead of a microphone in a controller.
Wii did it, it's pointless.

Also, no start/select?

This should be the final confirmation for the 8gig GDDR5. Mark Rein sounded pretty excited as well.

Yeah he did. In his interview on GT, he was very excited.

I didn't pull all his quotes (there's a great part of the interview where he's rubbing his hands together like a Mad Scientist that I HOPE we'll be seeing in .gif form soon) but here were two pull quotes that Sony will be ecstatic to hear:

Mark Rein on PS4 and Unreal Engine:

Mark Rein: "They stepped it up, there's no question. I mean when we made that demo we called it our 'Love Letter to Hardware Manufacturers'...and someone answered our letter."

Geoff Keighley: "Is it enough for five or six years? A lot of people were wondering about the leap was going to be. Pete Hines from Bethesda said here the leap between from ps3 to ps4 was not going as great as 2 to 3 given the move to HD and things like that…"

Mark Rein: [interrupting] "I disagree. NO, I think this a big leap.

The PS3 was decent…but this is spectacular."​

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No 802.11AC draft

AC currently performs anywhere from worse than N to barely better than N in real-world scenarios, so I'm not surprised. There's no point in supporting a draft spec when it offers no tangible advantages, is subject to significant changes (e.g. N going from 150Mbps to 300Mbps) and the final spec isn't due to be standardised until the tail end of the year. Maybe in the PS4 Slim, though.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
People are ignoring the other megaton, the one asked for by gamers worldwide for like, forever.

O/S level cross-game chat, on a Playstation... At last!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's great to see the suspend mode in a console, being able to keep it there in a low powered state will be great for when you have to go but can't stop right there, it is odd to no longer have dedicated start and select buttons though, I imagine that is what the track pad will be used for in future. If developers start putting Map buttons in options and not as a dedicated button, well, it's going to get annoying.

But anyway, I imagine this is what Kaz meant when he said they would be concentrating on gaming in the future.

People are ignoring the other megaton, the one asked for by gamers worldwide for like, forever.

O/S level cross-game chat, on a Playstation... At last!

But it's already on the Vita, lol, so it was fully expected at this point.

Great specs. But going to be expensive; camera and headset included, 8GB GDDR5... yeah.

I'm excited about the stereo camera, bet it can record high quality stereoscopic 3D video.

Yeah he did. In his interview on GT, he was very excited.

I didn't pull all his quotes (there's a great part of the interview where he's rubbing his hands together like a Mad Scientist that I HOPE we'll be seeing in .gif form soon) but here were two pull quotes that Sony will be ecstatic to hear:

Mark Rein on PS4 and Unreal Engine:

Mark Rein: "They stepped it up, there's no question. I mean when we made that demo we called it our 'Love Letter to Hardware Manufacturers'...and someone answered our letter."

Geoff Keighley: "Is it enough for five or six years? A lot of people were wondering about the leap was going to be. Pete Hines from Bethesda said here the leap between from ps3 to ps4 was not going as great as 2 to 3 given the move to HD and things like that…"

Mark Rein: [interrupting] "I disagree. NO, I think this a big leap.

The PS3 was decent…but this is spectacular."​

Indeed, Sony answered the love letter. Maybe MS doesn't this time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright so the bluray drive still means there is a sliver of hope i can play retail games offline and wont need to be authenticated like Steam.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looking over the topic properly, so good to see a headset included, thank our lord Kaz for realising the necessity, here's hoping that as it is bundled the chat features will continue to be free like on the Vita.

I'm actually looking forward to being able to talk to friends while playing Vita games when they are playing PS4 ones.

Zaventem

Man it's funny to think we had people laughing at the people wishing for 8gigs of DDR5.I mean calling people idiots for wanting it in a console,saying it would never happen.

It *really* sounded like they would be pushing digital-only at the conference, but didn't quite commit to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the no physical games route, although I really hope they won't.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, I was expecting them to include a blu-ray drive just for the movie support, not necessarily for games. Gotta wait for confirmation, I guess.

Azure J

I still want to hear how they pulled off 8GB GDDR5. Everything about what I was learning about the design of these components got tossed out the fucking window with that revelation.

coldfoot

Banned
The biggest reason for wanting a rear USB port in the ps3 was that ps eye. Now it has its own dedicated port at the rear it seems. No rear USB ports according to specs.

Krabardaf

It's not final and each unit comes packed in with a mic.
Sure, and this is great news btw. But still seems odd to me. I imagine it would have been cheaper to have a mic in the controller and no headset bundled. Maybe not better as far as fidelity goes though.
And still I can't see a speaker in a controller interesting at all, but if that can make the DS4 heavier than the DS3 i'm all for it :p

I fully expect the pad to change a little in term of design. This just seems unfinished now. We'll see how it goes...

Start, select are included in the new OPTIONS button, the other is SHARE.
Oh okay, neat!

Dude with 8G GDDR5, 4k is actually a very graspable realm of possibility.

It would sure help but that's only part of the problem. I'm not sure at all 1080p will be an easy target to reach, and I totally think we'll have some 720p games. Bear in mind 1080p is only 2.25 times 720p. 4k is four times 1080p, the processing power you need for it to be viable in a AAA game is colossal. It's delusional to hope for anything more than simple PSN game to run at 4K, and even that, i'd never bet on it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sorry I haven't paid attention, but have they announced the price, even if it's maybe just an estimation?

This stuff is going to be mad expensive, I reckon o_O

Can someone elucidate in the layest of layman's terms just how powerful the ps4 is in comparison to current top-tier PCs/PCs that will be available in November? What on earth does 8GB of DDR5 mean? I mean, Killzone looked amazing; better than anything I've seen showcased on a PC.

Cheers, yo.

CREMSteve

Sony should save themselves some money and get rid of the MONO speaker in the controller, and the MONO headset. What is this, 1989?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The most RAM put on a pc graphics card so far is 6GB of GDDR5 correct?

Elios83

An interesting comment is about the RGB LED integrated in the controller, they talked about accurate controller position tracking but they also suggest other things:

DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.

Top Bottom