• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full PS4 specs, console and controller [Blu-ray drive confirmed]

artist

Banned
I don't understand how you can think that Sony/amd hasn't customized and enhanced this thing beyond the normal GCN architecture for compute. Listen to the way Mark Cerny talks about the GPU in the conference again. He says its something specific that they've done to the GPU, above and beyond the normal gpu architecture its based on. This blurb reads the same way as well, and back up what Cerny said.

I think its obvious that Sony has customized this GPU for compute based on what Cerny and this spec sheet says. The questions is: How? What did they do?

For that answer I think the first and obvious place to look is the VGLeaks leaked dev doc, that was pretty much a copy and past.
Again, you are reading too much into it. No one is doubting it's custom silicon but you cant infer the 18 CUs are split as 14+4 based on the words Cerny used in the unveiling or in the press release.

Again, you are reading too much into it. No one is doubting it's custom silicon but you cant infer the 18 CUs are split as 14+4 based on the words Cerny used in the unveiling or in the press release.

I'm not, and I'm basing it on much more then that, basing it on 4 different sources.

1. VGleaks article
2. Press release specs
3. Cerny's words
4. The origianl DF article that talked about a compute module for special sauce.

Also i'm not saying for sure the 4CU's are modified for compute, but that its just the most likely based on the above info, mainly the VGleaks article which has been proven at this point to be very credible. What I think you can say is for sure, is that something has definitely been enhanced beyond a normal AMD GCN GPU for compute.

Omeyocan

Just want to know something.

Why they say that the PS4 GPU is a "next generation AMD Radeon HD 8000 series GPU" and by the specs it is very similar with the 7850 and 7870 series ?

Are the 7850 and 7870 already on the market ?

Is the "Jaguar" CPU in the PS4 has an equivalent already on the market ?

Thanks.

i-Lo

Mark Cerny spoke about reducing controller latency. Any idea what is it for the current DS3 and how would may reduce it?

DBT85

Mark Cerny spoke about reducing controller latency. Any idea what is it for the current DS3 and how would may reduce it?

This article was quite an interesting read

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-focus-battle-against-latency

From what I can see, the DS3 when running on a 60FPS video like the XMB has 50ms between input and display. That was measured on a CRT so there is no additional lag added.

That's not controller latency itself (how long to get the input and send it to the PS3), as it is also how long it takes the PS3 to get that input, render the change and output it to the screen.

From what Mark said at the press conference the changes they had made were to the controller itself, though that could be me reading too much into his words.

The below is me speculating on something I know nothing about :D

I guess they could up the frequency at which the DS4 is registering inputs or sending them out? So say the DS3 is checking for inputs/sending them out at 30hz, if they double that they would half the internal latency.

i-Lo

This article was quite an interesting read

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-focus-battle-against-latency

From what I can see, the DS3 when running on a 60FPS video like the XMB has 50ms between input and display. That was measured on a CRT so there is no additional lag added.

That's not controller latency specifically, as it is also how long it takes the PS3 to get that input, render the change and output it to the screen.

From what Mark said at the press conference the changes they had made were to the controller itself, though that could be me reading too much into his words.

Ah, thanks.

Top Bottom