• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED localizer upset Japanese devs removed accidental KKK reference (Kotaku)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wow. What a noble endeavor on his part. Truly his comedic sensibilities are a valuable asset that should be...

Nah I can't do it. This guy's an idiot.

I'll be honest, as someone with friends who work at XSeed, I have been baffled for years on why XSeed keeps him around. Their worst PR has usually been because of him, but I guess his value as a localizer is worth more than the consequences of his open mouth.

But this is straight up insubordination. It would be one thing to be weird and uncomfortable in the office about it, but announcing it to the world to paint yourself as a martyr...how do you still work there after that?

There's a lot to unpack here. The forum post is probably the best place to start:

I personally felt "KKK witches" was pretty funny for its shock value, but when I mentioned it to my coworkers, they... were not as amused.

One has to wonder if Mr. Lipschultz has any black coworkers who found the shock value of a 'KKK' joke worth retaining on the basis of its artistic merit.

calling this an "act of censorship" is indeed rather questionable

He knows this and still took a drastic step in the name of weakly defending an orthodoxy about not altering an original work during localization, and not the first time he's done so, either.

If someone is ashamed to be associated with one of our games, then they are ashamed to be associated with the company as a whole and won’t be credited in future games either.

This company policy is so weird and just feels vindictive, a low-level blackballing on future work that no matter how much you toe the line going forward, your credits are just done. Whatever, not my company. Just a weird thing to have as standing policy and I'd really like to hear the history of when that policy was established and why it's enforced this way.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Don't bring the Senran Kagura girls into this. They are treasures! 🅾 🅿 🅿 🅰 🚺

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
the original japanese game had KKK witches because it was funny, the localizer wasn't proposing that

also bandwagon hate inbound on this localizer as per the usual here, even though it's not like he was supporting the KKK or something extremist

A sign in the original Japanese version of the game read “KKK witches,” a play on the phrase. He wrote on XSEED’s forum, “I personally felt ‘KKK witches’ was pretty funny for its shock value, but when I mentioned it to my coworkers, they... were not as amused.”
“Acquire immediately responded that they had no idea the sign could be taken that way in English,” Berry told me in an e-mail. Two weeks later, Acquire removed the phrase from Akiba’s Beat, with no further conversation or discussion, replacing it with “ACQ witches.”
Tom think it's funny as a KKK reference. Acquire evidently had no intent of invoking the actual Klan in their wordplay on NKK Switches. Which means in so far as "KKK witches" is a shock factor joke to an American audience, that's entirely on Tom, and what he felt was apparently worth defending.

Mesoian

I'll be honest, as someone with friends who work at XSeed, I have been baffled for years on why XSeed keeps him around. Their worst PR has usually been because of him, but I guess his value as a localizer is worth more than the consequences of his open mouth.

But this is straight up insubordination. It would be one thing to be weird and uncomfortable in the office about it, but announcing it to the world to paint yourself as a martyr...how do you still work there after that?

Passionate people are hard to come by so sometimes you let things slip.

But man...you'd think someone in his position with as much knowledge he has on the subject would know when to cool it when it comes to explaining "certain stuff about japanese pop culture".

I dunno man.

That's a great policy XSeed has, IE if you asked to be removed from the credits for the game, then you don't deserve to be credited for future games with XSeed.

As for the story, yeah that's not censorship. Not even close.

The developer wanted it gone once they understood the reference, so what's the issue? If I wrote something and it had some sort of controversial overtones by accident, I'd edit it, too.

My money's on the localizer not being informed enough about the situation.

Which like, if he actively wanted to sabotage his career over this who's to stop him? Lol

But the company doesn't want to say it idiot. You're not defending anyone but your own stupid sense of humour, you were the one saying it.

"I dissaprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" huh?
Something tells me this guy doesn't really disapprove of what the KKK has to say anyways. I'm guessing he's the type of guy to rail on about "ethics in games journalism".

flohen95

I wish that one day, liking SK for it's characters(, music) and story (this goes moreso for the 3DS games than the PS ones) will not be met only with stupid comments and snarky remarks. But alas.

On topic though: I'm liberal when it comes to localisation changes (I do not at all mind Tokyo Mirage Sessions' localisation, for example) and I think they are necessary for a good localisation, but even when trying to view this from a more conservative viewpoint of the subject matter, it just seems like such a minor thing to risk so much for. There are certainly issues that I could respect the choice for, but not a developer-approved change of an accidental reference.

What the fuck? This story is so absurd it's hard to belive almost.

This isn't censorship whatsoever, and this dude thinks it's a hill worth dying on?

Korigama

Although this decision was made by the developer, Lipschultz decided to take a stand, asking XSEED to remove his name from the credits of Akiba’s Beat. As a result, he won’t appear in XSEED’s credits again—XSEED has a policy maintaining that “If someone is ashamed to be associated with one of our games, then they are ashamed to be associated with the company as a whole and won’t be credited in future games either.”
Of all the hills on which to die, let alone for something that the developers themselves changed willingly to avoid a misunderstanding.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Defends lolis IRL and absolutely wants a KKK reference in a game...Shit I wonder who he voted for!

...To be honest, can we make this more about praising the devs for being a bunch of mature grown ups about this? They realised they had unintentionally made something offensive and so deliberately altered things so as to not maintain that. Given we have another thread about a Japanese being insensitive to concerns about content, I feel like Acquire should be given props here.

Squire

Banned
Honestly, denying him all future credits is the smart move here. They don't have to fire him, but he's undeniably a step closer to quitting himself, which is probably fine with whoever in charge.

This whole story is enough to demonstrate he's probably a pain in the ass.

That's a great policy XSeed has, IE if you asked to be removed from the credits for the game, then you don't deserve to be credited for future games with XSeed.

The policy actually puzzles me a little bit. It's almost as if they're afraid to ask for resignations or just fire them if they're that rebellious against the company consensus on how best to localize a game, especially when it comes to unintentional gags laced with connotations of a domestic terror group that attacks and murders black people and people who help black people. If I'm that guy's coworker, I'm thinking, "Do I really want to continue being his coworker if he thought that was funny and worth a fight over keeping?"

...To be honest, can we make this more about praising the devs for being a bunch of mature grown ups about this? They realised they had unintentionally made something offensive and so deliberately altered things so as to not maintain that. Given we have another thread about a Japanese being insensitive to concerns about content, I feel like Acquire should be given props here.

An excellent point. Props to Acquire, even if I have never played, and have little desire to play, one of the Akiba's games :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I agree, honestly. I mean its not a big thing but from the sounds of it they were immediately responsive and understanding

EDIT: Also I didn't know it was Tom or what his baggage was when I made this thread, I just saw this and couldn't stop laughing about how literally incoherent the whole thing sounds

This doesn't even fucking compare.

I'm talking about the thread that followed, not the specific case. You don't need to be an asshole while sharing your opinion on this.

oh nice detective gaf is on it. good job dude

anime avatar too!

I'm just asking people to not be dicks everytime something like this happens. I guess that's too much for GAF

Nah, it's a pretty messed up policy as there are better reasons to be asked to be removed from credits than the one this thread is about. It basically equates to forcing people out that don't want to be credited. I don't particularly care for blanket policies for removing people from the credits of projects they've worked on.

People get angry at all kinds of things, i guess. Personally... i'm of the opinion that there is simply no way for a game to have the same meaning in different places, even without localization meddling in some way, so it's a hopeless and fantastical endeavor to try and guarantee that kind of professional scrutiny.

That said i think every gaffer calling this dude an idiot or similarly antagonistic words are way out of line and we should be better than that.

Tom once threatened to quit XSEED over them changing the ages of some characters in the menus.

For real? I like the SK games a lot actually.

Wait.....in Japan are they supposed to be adolescents? Because if so that's disturbing. I've only played Shinobi Versus and Estival Versus but figured they were supposed to be adults.

Because if that is a change they did for the localization was to make them older thank God. This dude wanted to keep them younger?

I'm assuming this is about SK? Or was it a different game?

Shaanyboi

Banned
GAF sure is a nice place today. And people wonder why devs don't post here much!

Yes, the decision is dumb. But come one people.

Did everyone already forget this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361243
This motherfucker is publicly painting himself like some martyr in defense of an unintentional KKK reference. He then denounces his company's actions, which I'm sure his bosses and coworkers are thrilled about. He is rightfully being called out on it. How else are people supposed to be reacting? He's being an idiot.

And this isn't even touching what people are assuming his larger political opinions are.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
For real? I like the SK games a lot actually.

Wait.....in Japan are they supposed to be adolescents? Because if so that's disturbing. I've only played Shinobi Versus and Estival Versus but figured they were supposed to be adults.

Because if that is a change they did for the localization was to make them older thank God. This dude wanted to keep them younger?

I'm assuming this is about SK? Or was it a different game?

In Japan the ages range from 15 to 18 I believe

I'm talking about the thread that followed, not the specific case. You don't need to be an asshole while sharing your opinion on this.

oh nice detective gaf is on it. good job dude

You calling me an asshole because I think some random loc monkey is dumb for caping for a KKK reference that wasn't even the dev's intent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom