• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redout |OT| - #WipEout #F-Zero

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm... Not sure about this game.

I think certain stages looks stunning but the tracks themselves doesn't appear challenging to me and designed in a way that will encourage you to increase your skills. F-Zero and Wipeout series are very good games in that regard, but this one... it seems more taxing due to the speed of your opponents more than anything else as most of the tracks are repetitive in respect to cornering and so on. I'm not really feeling the music either, seems like an ok & miss to me.

To be frank, I predict that this would be a really nice VR experience but as a very good game that you would go back to again and again and again,I can't see it at this stage. I guess I need to see more.

To improve the graphics, I think they should tone-down the colour grade filter, light flares and drop the shadow levels slightly so more shadows, colour variety and depth would be revealed. That would hopefully increase the beauty of each stage, and it should help the player see the corners and side/edge of the tracks more clearly.

Like to see the reviews from people that plays games like F-Zero, Wipeout and other arcade style racers.

The speed increases considerably after the first class....really needs you to pay attention to the track corners and position yourself accordingly for the turns. By Class II you'll be fearing class III :) Don't even want to think about IV.
The AI will make sure you earn class III too.

I'm digging this game so far. I just got into Class II, and have been getting mostly gold with a few silver medals on the events so far.

I'm not sure if I'm really playing this game effectively. I suppose I am if I'm getting gold medals, but...what is "airbraking"? Is that just letting go of the accelerator without hitting the brake at all? On most turns I just sort of tap on the brake while tapping the strafe button. I find that works for me.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I think it's more like strafing left and right, less like wipeout's air-brakes. Default controls have strafing on right-analogue stick with left/right.

Yes I was.

If you do it for just a split second, before exiting the corner, you regain speed much quicker that way.

true Gek

Hmm I'm very... Confused right now XD

I've done around 7/8 events in the campaign and I've earned only silver and gold medals with not so much difficulties.

When I go in quick race --> pure race the situation drastically change. I'm the worst driver of the planet, I'm always at the bottom of the chart even if I drive very well. So... Is it normal? I can't understand this thing XD

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... Any advice on how to use the turbo or the airbrakes? I'm using the R2/L2 configuration to slide because the analog is unconfortable for me.

Broritos

I'm really glad this isn't an F-Zero clone. Nobody will be able to top GX. I prefer indie devs just make their own style of arcade racer and this has it. It's obviously influenced but other racers but Redout really feels like it's own take on the genre.

Love that it's hard too.

Quantum

Having the same issue. How do you deactivate steam VR mode before launching it?

sorry for late response -

I thought I had figured it out - but I can't

I can get it to run without the VR randomly by alt-tabing to steam when the oculus overlay boots and the steam pop-up says Steam Vr "Not Ready"

upper right click the green VR tab and turn it off.

tab back and you are in the game without VR.

a little annoying yes?

//DEVIL//

Hmm I'm very... Confused right now XD

I've done around 7/8 events in the campaign and I've earned only silver and gold medals with not so much difficulties.

When I go in quick race --> pure race the situation drastically change. I'm the worst driver of the planet, I'm always at the bottom of the chart even if I drive very well. So... Is it normal? I can't understand this thing XD

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... Any advice on how to use the turbo or the airbrakes? I'm using the R2/L2 configuration to slide because the analog is unconfortable for me.

I am not sure why but I laughed so hard at this. If anything I am also getting around silver and in quick race I never reached higher than 5th . I think I am playing this game wrong . Because even in career mode I get my ass licked sometimes and I have to redo the race. After 2 tries or so. Same style game play and I get a silver.

I think the cpu finds me very stupid after few retries and decide to go easy on me

XTERC

Just a quick note in case anyone runs into G-Sync issues:

If you have a VR Headset then the game loads SteamVR (even if you specify run without VR). Once SteamVR is running, G-Sync is disabled. To work around this issue I unplugged the power to the Vive, re-started the game and G-Sync started working.

My framerate sits between 135-165FPS (1080GTX & 6950X @ 4.2GHz)

VVV Mars VG

sorry for late response -

I thought I had figured it out - but I can't

I can get it to run without the VR randomly by alt-tabing to steam when the oculus overlay boots and the steam pop-up says Steam Vr "Not Ready"

upper right click the green VR tab and turn it off.

tab back and you are in the game without VR.

a little annoying yes?

All I did was pull the out USB connecting the VR to the PC, with the VR off of course. Then it just plays normally.

Quantum

All I did was pull the out USB connecting the VR to the PC, with the VR off of course. Then it just plays normally.

my main desktop would be better name a 'deskunder' and a pita to just pull the cables - so I'd rather have a reliable work around.

enjoying the game - I thinks its my favorite VR game currently.

my main desktop would be better name a 'deskunder' and a pita to just pull the cables - so I'd rather have a reliable work around.

enjoying the game - I thinks its my favorite VR game currently.

I don't have a VR headset, but disabling it in the Device Manager probably works.

Skyzard

Banned
This game is so good!

The tracks keep on delivering, awesome visuals!

Unlocked class III and it's just so fun, it really does feel more like wipeout the faster you go in that you have to nail the driving line and use everything at your disposal. Really having a lot of fun with it and looking forward to class iv.

--Btw there are hidden platinum times for the events.

Also I saw this video on the steam forums showing off the strafing in the opposite direction for hairpin turns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qMVAUY2iGE

Has his controller input in the top-right too.

XTERC

Where is the hype for this game? It is amazing. I'm hoping there is more buzz when the console version is released, it deserves it.

naib

Where is the hype for this game? It is amazing. I'm hoping there is more buzz when the console version is released, it deserves it.
Agreed! I'm super excited about.

Posted this last night and thought I was in the OT. Was wondering where it went. :lol

naib said:
3570K and 1070, everything on 'epic', vync off and it's pretty much locked at 1080/120. Dips down to 110fps on some of the jumps..

I've been pining for a new WipEout since HD on the PS3. I'm no longer pining.
But it is a different beast in the best possible way. Using the right analog for pitch and yaw is brilliant. The game just feels amazing.

red·out
ˈredout/
noun
a reddening of the vision resulting from congestion of blood in the eyes when the body is accelerated downward, sometimes followed by loss of consciousness.

^^ It's namesake makes more sense the more I play it. The visual feedback when you're not pitching correctly is awesome. ;)

Love it.

XTERC

Has anyone tried it with VR?

I have tried it with VR. It is good, but VR doesn't have the resolution yet for me to prefer it over 2560X1440 combined with higher frame rates. That said, this is one of the better VR experiences out there.

There seem to be two threads for this game at the moment. This is the OT, but the hype thread keeps getting bumped.

Ozium

can't even beat the pure race in cairo in the first part of the career mode.. like I can get to 1st or 2nd place and then 3 ppl zoom past me 1/4 of the way til the finish

:(

edit: right after posting I got 3rd place, which is something..

I guess pitching/yawing in the direction of the track really helps (I was just going left to right previously)

Bebpo

Banned
As a pretty decent Wipeout player, game is alright, but feels off for a Wipeout fan. I'm playing on classic controls with shifting on l/r and it's close, but it's not wipeout and being a wipeout fan I'm biased because I just want it to be wipeout. Here are the differences I'm noticing:

1. Can't air break tap to slight adjust or hold to power turn. In wipeout you almost never had to let go of the gas and could use the air braking to steer around any corner. Here that's not that case, shifting seems to help a little but not a ton and if there's a sharp turn even holding hard right + R shift doesn't turn me strong enough to avoid hitting the wall. I'm under the impression here I need to let off the gas, hard turn and hit the gas coming out of the turn + boost on sharp turns which feels more akin to Gran Turismo/Forza turning and is kinda out of place for a high speed arcade racer.

2. No digital d-pad controls. This plus no tapping L/R air braking for slight adjustment means rather than having perfect precision that wipeout has in the controls, everything feels more loose and floaty. Maybe I need to try more ships, but the two I've tried so far in the first 7/8 events have that floaty loose feel.

3. Pitch is more important here. While it helped in wipeout, you could mostly ignore it if you learned the tracks. Here if you're pulling down to lift your nose up on an uphill you're gonna scrape your ship and get fucked. The problem is that playing on Classic controls it's almost impossible on an analog stick to hold down to pitch up so perfectly in the middle that your ship doesn't waver left or right because you're slightly holding down back right a millimeter.

4. AI is ok but I don't like how if someone smacks you two slaps in by running into you it can turn you 180 out of nowhere and you've lost the race.

5. Not a big fan of the weapon system early on, would rather they just used the traditional wipeout model for combat.

6. Music doesn't compare at all, but it'd be pretty tough to compete with Wipeout soundtracks.

7. Track design is alright so far, nice engine & IQ but not as striking as Wipeout.

Just my two cents an hour or so in. Still fun, but I enjoyed the first hour of Fast Racing Neo a lot more as an F-Zero successor than Redout as a wipeout successor so far. Mainly the more floaty feel + faster starting speed of Redout makes the gameplay feel a little off and not as fun to me.

Skyzard

Banned
As a pretty decent Wipeout player, game is alright, but feels off for a Wipeout fan. I'm playing on classic controls with shifting on l/r and it's close, but it's not wipeout and being a wipeout fan I'm biased because I just want it to be wipeout. Here are the differences I'm noticing:

1. Can't air break tap to slight adjust or hold to power turn. In wipeout you almost never had to let go of the gas and could use the air braking to steer around any corner. Here that's not that case, shifting seems to help a little but not a ton and if there's a sharp turn even holding hard right + R shift doesn't turn me strong enough to avoid hitting the wall. I'm under the impression here I need to let off the gas, hard turn and hit the gas coming out of the turn + boost on sharp turns which feels more akin to Gran Turismo/Forza turning and is kinda out of place for a high speed arcade racer.

2. No digital d-pad controls. This plus no tapping L/R air braking for slight adjustment means rather than having perfect precision that wipeout has in the controls, everything feels more loose and floaty. Maybe I need to try more ships, but the two I've tried so far in the first 7/8 events have that floaty loose feel.

3. Pitch is more important here. While it helped in wipeout, you could mostly ignore it if you learned the tracks. Here if you're pulling down to lift your nose up on an uphill you're gonna scrape your ship and get fucked. The problem is that playing on Classic controls it's almost impossible on an analog stick to hold down to pitch up so perfectly in the middle that your ship doesn't waver left or right because you're slightly holding down back right a millimeter.

4. AI is ok but I don't like how if someone smacks you two slaps in by running into you it can turn you 180 out of nowhere and you've lost the race.

5. Not a big fan of the weapon system early on, would rather they just used the traditional wipeout model for combat.

6. Music doesn't compare at all, but it'd be pretty tough to compete with Wipeout soundtracks.

7. Track design is alright so far, nice engine & IQ but not as striking as Wipeout.

Just my two cents an hour or so in. Still fun, but I enjoyed the first hour of Fast Racing Neo a lot more as an F-Zero successor than Redout as a wipeout successor so far. Mainly the more floaty feel + faster starting speed of Redout makes the gameplay feel a little off and not as fun to me.

I actually would like d-pad support and agree about getting spun out sucking. I read that they are working on re-map support (as well as leaderboards).

I'm also not a huge fan of how important pitch is.

I felt like letting go of gas for a second was the way to go and it might be but I do think the strafing (it's not so much air-braking) can help quite a bit if you got the angle right. I linked to it earlier and someone mentioned it before but turning in early before the corner while strafing in the opposite way can help you keep a lot of speed drifting across the corner.

VVV Mars VG

As a massive Wipeout fan myself, I feel your pain, went to the arcade controls and they just didn't work for me, lots of issues. So I stuck with the Redout controls and eventually when they click you realise how genius they really are.

fc02ebdf4078c07491cb4ca1b1e7224b.jpg

Digital controls just won't work with this style, the left stick creates more of an air brake turn while the right stick controls pitch and banking. One you get the hang of it you'll be flying.

I love almost everything with the game. They need to fix the resolution adjustment or lack of and the AI is complete BS. Later in the game, it's either passing you with no effort, causing you to spin out or doesn't even give you a chance to catch up. It has a major rubberbanding issue.

I don't know much about PC gaming nowadays but can I run this on a nvidia 960m (i7 quad core CPU)? I've been looking forward to this but don't want to wait for the PS4 version.

epmode

I love almost everything with the game. They need to fix the resolution adjustment or lack of and the AI is complete BS. Later in the game, it's either passing you with no effort, causing you to spin out or doesn't even give you a chance to catch up. It has a major rubberbanding issue.

The balance and AI behavior may need some adjustment but it's not rubberbanding. I posted the developer's comments earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215759758&postcount=51

Bebpo

Banned
As a massive Wipeout fan myself, I feel your pain, went to the arcade controls and they just didn't work for me, lots of issues. So I stuck with the Redout controls and eventually when they click you realise how genius they really are.

Digital controls just won't work with this style, the left stick creates more of an air brake turn while the right stick controls pitch and banking. One you get the hang of it you'll be flying.

Yeah, I gotta unlearn a lot of that wipeout and give the redout controls another shot.
The more I play, the more Redout is growing on me. I realize that it's more of a 3rd wheel that's not quite F-Zero or Wipeout, but a solid futuristic racer doing it's own thing. I find Last Man Standing the toughest because you've got to go 5 or 6 laps without blowing up since it'll set you back enough to lose the lap and get eliminated.

I don't quite get how the boost or weapon system works in this? Are you just supposed to use boost whenever you have blue energy and then it fills back up? Or should you wait until the blue energy bars fills completely before using boost? Also, if you have a weapon equipped do you just get 1 use of it for the whole race?

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, yeah you're right. After getting the hang of how to play the game earlier, I just tried switching to the default controls and started getting golds every race in a row whereas I was getting silvers before. Definitely much easier to handle the pitch being on the right stick so it doesn't move the vehicle left/right when you pitch up.

Also one thing I noticed that I'm not super big on is how the upgrades are like game breaking. I put the magnetic grip upgrade at max lvl.4 + top speed/acceleration upgrade at max lvl.4 and I was just blowing past the AI so far ahead I could crash once per lap and never come out of first place. I generally prefer arcade racers have no upgrades and you just need to get better. This feels a bit cheating haha.

Just bought this yesterday. Oh man, oh man, what a game!

I haven't had this much fun since FAST Neo came out. I was dying for one of these on PC and this came out of nowhere while being of insane quality.

Yeah, yesterday was a good Sunday.

If you think this game is hard to need to get good, I hope the devs don't cave and make it easier because it isn't too bad how it is imo.

Once you get the controls down and realise the 'colour' of the corner tells you how sharp the turn is you should be near the front.

Loving this game!

true Gek

I am not sure why but I laughed so hard at this. If anything I am also getting around silver and in quick race I never reached higher than 5th . I think I am playing this game wrong . Because even in career mode I get my ass licked sometimes and I have to redo the race. After 2 tries or so. Same style game play and I get a silver.

I think the cpu finds me very stupid after few retries and decide to go easy on me
I'm not alone XD In the next days I will try to change the control scheme, maybe something will change!

Melchiah

How hard is the game compared to WipEout HD? I think it was fittingly challenging, although the later cells were seemingly impossible for some of my friends based on their trophies, but I hope RedOut won't be harder than that.

VVV Mars VG

Yeah, I gotta unlearn a lot of that wipeout and give the redout controls another shot.
The more I play, the more Redout is growing on me. I realize that it's more of a 3rd wheel that's not quite F-Zero or Wipeout, but a solid futuristic racer doing it's own thing. I find Last Man Standing the toughest because you've got to go 5 or 6 laps without blowing up since it'll set you back enough to lose the lap and get eliminated.

I don't quite get how the boost or weapon system works in this? Are you just supposed to use boost whenever you have blue energy and then it fills back up? Or should you wait until the blue energy bars fills completely before using boost? Also, if you have a weapon equipped do you just get 1 use of it for the whole race?

Its funny, I've come up against so many similar experiences, yet when it clicked I realised the genius here. Here's my career mode, filmed this a couple of days ago, will go public later today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1drHYuhKA it will go through all classes.

As for boost, boost as often as you can, but there are also places to maximise its performance. Suffice to say its flat out all the way.

I'm using the Classic controls and I'm having no trouble controlling pitch. After all, you also needed to control pitch in WipEout 3.

Racing has been a breeze for me since the beginning and I'm getting all golds so far.

VVV Mars VG

I'm using the Classic controls and I'm having no trouble controlling pitch. After all, you also needed to control pitch in WipEout 3.

Racing has been a breeze for me since the beginning and I'm getting all golds so far.

That's interesting, I found it all fingers and thumbs because the triggers were set to accelerate, so you're using all 4 L and R buttons all the time. Also the Redout handling makes for analogue air brakes and steering, which made a big different in angled pitch.

That's interesting, I found it all fingers and thumbs because the triggers were set to accelerate, so you're using all 4 L and R buttons all the time. Also the Redout handling makes for analogue air brakes and steering, which made a big different in angled pitch.

Triggers allow analog airbraking too. The only issue I could conceivably have is if I find a turn that requires 100% steering plus pitch control (since I could only do it 50/50 on the same analog stick, hitting the diagonal) but I haven't seen a single instance of this yet.

hodgy100

Had a quick go on this. It seems really fun I'll have to get stuck in. I'm a tad disappointed by the VR view, I was hoping for an in-cockpit view. Is there a way to change the camera that I'm not aware of?

Had a quick go on this. It seems really fun I'll have to get stuck in. I'm a tad disappointed by the VR view, I was hoping for an in-cockpit view. Is there a way to change the camera that I'm not aware of?

I assume so as someone said there are 4 view modes but none are cockpit view. There's Bonnet view, behind view, behind view 2 and another one i forget.

Seriously tempted to get this game especially with VR support...

Just to clarify, you are hitting the opposite trigger to the direction you are turning in? I.e, sharp left turn, turn left on analog stick and pull right trigger (if playing classic or arcade settings cant remember which is which) this causes your ship to slide and lets you do some pretty insanely sharp turns, then boost out of the corner to get your speed back.

Honestly the controls in this game are absolute genius once you get used to them, though the game could do with a tutorial of some sort to teach you! Took me about 5 hours to realise you strafe in the opposite direction for the sharpest turns. I think you have more control that you do in wipeout.

Performance is great, maxed out at 1440p (minus post processing, which I have on normal, gives a cleaner image) im getting 120-140fps on a 980ti, unbelievably smooth, fantastic driving.

I have a spotify playlist up just Redout full of tunes I like to race to, have a listen if you please.

Bebpo

Banned
Just to clarify, you are hitting the opposite trigger to the direction you are turning in? I.e, sharp left turn, turn left on analog stick and pull right trigger (if playing classic or arcade settings cant remember which is which) this causes your ship to slide and lets you do some pretty insanely sharp turns, then boost out of the corner to get your speed back.

Holy crap I'm a moron. I've been holding the same direction (so to make a sharp right, hold right + R or right analog) and wondering why it barely had any effect and sharp turns seemed impossible. That is a huge difference! Ok, now the game controls a lot better :p

Skyzard

Banned
I went back to Redout controls after reading some posts from VVV Mars VG, they do work well, I had my finger on the brake when I started the game so it was hard to hit the boost, but now it's just acceleration and boost.

Top Bottom