• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redout |OT| - #WipEout #F-Zero

epmode

TotalBiscuit's video talked about having to use the right-stick.

That would be Strafe then. Doesn't really feel like a Wipeout airbrake to me but I'll give it another go.

Am I missing something, or is this the rubberbandiest AI in racing game history?

The dev posted about this:

So the AI scales down heavily (literally rubber banding) only during the first 4 races. After those ones, the AI moves to dynamic adaptation, which means it will drive a bit worse than what it can do if you are really behind. But it won't wait for you like many other games do.

That said, there's no cheating in the other way, if the AI is behind, it will just try to drive better, but it has the exact same data you have (in terms of vision, track memorization, and controls).

Well, there's no code in the AI that makes it go magically faster or drive better than you if it's behind :)

Mind that if the AI equips the slipstream enhancer powerup something like that can happen (where it gets faster and recharges energy faster than normal when tailing an opponent). But you can use it as well :)

We'll work on balancing it, of course.

But the AI doesn't cheat. I coded all of it myself :)

Synth

That would be Strafe then. Doesn't really feel like a Wipeout airbrake to me but I'll give it another go.

The dev posted about this:

Ah... the Driveclub model. Not a fan tbh. I'd rather just know how I'm doing in general, and gimme a difficulty select if I just suck.

//DEVIL//

I bought the game and here are my mini impressions.

1- Graphics are stunning. I am playing on 1080gtx and 1080p so I know its an overkill but I am really impressed by the graphics and smooth 60fps

2- the game control is kinda mixed between Wipeout and Fzero , in a sense, the hard corners, you will need to move both analogs sticks to that direction. .

3- I played 2 tracks so far and they are really amazing and visual eye candy

4- the soundtrack is also so far perfect for the game

I love it. a solid 9 for me out of 10.

Edit:

it worth mentioning that the game assumes you know how to play Fzero and wipe out to a good degree. because the game isn't really easy. its not unforgiven at all.

I also didn't notice any rubber band AI. I am going to assume its there. but I didn't notice only, because the only time others pass me is when I hit a wall or something stupid like that

microtubule

Thanks for the dev link, I bought - hopefully they get more of a percentage this way.

I also noticed that someone asked about online bot racers and this was the dev response
Uhm, that's a very good idea, actually. Not 100% sure we can support it in our first update, but I think it's doable. Let me sleep over it and get some estimations :)

So for those playing it, how, uh, F-Zero is it? I watched TB's video and it looks a lot more Wipeout than F-Zero but I'm also hearing him say that there's a great sense of speed which is where F-Zero excelled. I'm torn.

Synth

So for those playing it, how, uh, F-Zero is it? I watched TB's video and it looks a lot more Wipeout than F-Zero but I'm also hearing him say that there's a great sense of speed which is where F-Zero excelled. I'm torn.

WipEout <--|--------------------------------------------->F-Zero

RedOut is the line.

vermadas

Perf in VR is a little rough. My rig:

3570K @ 4.3 GHz
24 GB RAM
GTX 980ti

I settled on the following for now:

View Distance: High
AA: High
Shadow: Normal
Post-Process: Normal
Texture: High
Effects: Normal

That keeps me at 90 Hz the majority of the time, and the drops don't seem to go below 70. This is only testing the first track though.

If any Rift users figure out how to launch this game outside of SteamVR, (i.e. bypassing OpenVR and just using Oculus Runtime) that would be great.

Salty Hippo

Plays absolutely nothing like F-Zero, handling is loose as fuck and the tracks are full of stupid blind corners that require either memorization of the layout or unhuman reflexes. I'll try it some more later but it looks like I'm getting a refund for this one. It kinda makes me feel bad for the devs but that price point is a bit too high to keep a game I'll probably never play in the future.

I also found some the graphical effects very obnoxious and polluting, wish there was a way to tone them down.

epmode

Plays absolutely nothing like F-Zero, handling is loose as fuck and the tracks are full of stupid blind corners that require either memorization of the layout or unhuman reflexes.

Sounds like Wipeout! Although the very first race is a lot faster than the slowest Wipeout class.

The loose handling is kind of the point. Unlike F-Zero, you have to start turning ahead of a turn. It's definitely not easy but oh god it's so great when it clicks.

Again, both franchises are great.

I also found some the graphical effects very obnoxious and polluting, wish there was a way to tone them down.

Yeah, I agree with this. The post-processing setting gets rid of the craziest effects but I'd prefer more options so we could pick exactly what should stay.

DirtyLarry

Played about 45-60 minutes earlier today.
1st 10 minutes were just the game straight up, primarily just to get a feel for the controls, etc.
Next 45 minutes give or take were playing it in VR via Oculus.

Felt like two different games truthfully speaking.

Non VR version is a pretty standard futuristic racer. Very standard I would say. Nothing awful. Nothing amazing. Competent would be a word that immediately comes to mind.

The VR version is one of the better VR titles I have played thus far.
Gameplay even feels better, and that is no doubt thanks to the enhancement of VR. The player can be a hell of a lot more precise with cornering especially in VR. It is hard to articulate but I felt more in control. Not as floaty. And simply put, just "being" in the cockpit absolutely elevates the overall experience to another level.

It is pretty damn exhilarating in VR. That is really the simplest way to put it. You can also tell the developers claims are indeed fact. It does not feel like a game that was developed and then the VR was tacked on. It feels like a game where the VR aspect was either included from the onset or very early on.

I purchased this game with the sole intent of playing it in V, and so far it has not disappointed.

I am curious however as to just exactly how long it can keep me interested after the additional enhancements of VR wears off. I have to question if the gameplay will be deep enough to keep me playing. I do have my doubts there. But as I stated right away, I did not play a whole lot and generally speaking I do not think an hour of any game, although it can provide a good indication, can fully reveal if a game will stay intriguing enough. Especially when a decent amount of that first hour was more about getting assimilated than anything else. I was nowhere near a take this game serious yet mind set.

Plays absolutely nothing like F-Zero, handling is loose as fuck and the tracks are full of stupid blind corners that require either memorization of the layout or unhuman reflexes. I'll try it some more later but it looks like I'm getting a refund for this one. It kinda makes me feel bad for the devs but that price point is a bit too high to keep a game I'll probably never play in the future.

learning the tracks is a requirement in other futuristic titles, especially at high speed.

quantum redshift is my personal favourite, that game would be impossible to beat without track knowledge... and that's what the slower classes are for.

Peterthumpa

For those finding the game too blurry, or questioning whether it's really running @ a given resolution, some tips to force it:

The Real HELLCAT said:
First, find the following file:
C:\Users\<Your-Username>\AppData\Local\redout\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

Open the file in your favourite text editor.

There is two sections/blocks of values that are of interest now:
ResolutionSizeX=1600
ResolutionSizeY=900
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=1600
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=900
and
FullscreenMode=2
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=2
PreferredFullscreenMode=2

The names of the values are pretty self explanatory, with the first block of values you set the resolution you want to have and with the second one you set the fullscreen/windowed mode.

With the resolution, set it for both value pairs, the "ResolutionSize...." ones as well as the "LastUserConfirmedResolutionSize...." ones.

It gets a bit more interesting with the screenmode settings.
First off, set all three values to the same setting, possible values are:
0 - Fullscreen
1 - Borderless Window "Fullscreen"
2 - Windowed

Save the file, launch the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756966739

jwillenn

Anyone looking for WipEout, but for free, check out BallisticNG on Steam.

This looks like F-Zero tracks with WipEout ships. Definitely wishlisting!

I'm sure some other F-Zero vet has beaten me to this, but... no. These do not look like F-Zero tracks.

selo

I just played about an hour, and I would agree that it feels more like wipeout than F-Zero, I was hoping for an experience more like the latter :(. It does feel a bit generic so far, sadly, and the online was super empty, about 15 people playing. Does anyone know if there are planned updates to add more personality to the game?

Music is okay, also a bit generic, although I did get big metroid prime vibes from that glacier level, which was pretty cool (have yet to hear all tracks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWI3-8N_-Y

Performance wise, the game runs super smooth for me (gtx 970, 1080p, 8gb ram, 60fps)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have requested a refund on Steam. First time ever.

VR performance isn't great. A game like this should have a rock solid framerate but it doesn't on my GTX 970. I keep turning down settings but it still hitches.

Really liked what I've played so far, runs like a dream with my 970.
I enjoy the handling, just need to get used to the tighter corners... need to hold that accelerator down as you apply the brake as it takes too long for the jets to fire up again.

Add weapons and this game would blow my mind, it would be so much fun.
Hopefully they look at adding some kind of battle mode with weapons, shields etc

As it is it's still very enjoyable, fans of the wipeout games will have some fun here for sure.

//DEVIL//

All these futuristic racers seem to be bred from WipEout DNA. Gimme some F-zero please.
Let me put this way after 2 hours of playing

- speed is from f zero
- craft design is unique . Can't really say wipeout but closer to that than f zero
- handling is between fast racing new and wipe out and f zero
- some nice techno music that isn't really frustrating

Baleoce

Finally got to play it this morning. This game is so good. Been playing it with the Steam controller, and getting around corners feels really satisfying.

Skyzard

Banned
Did everyone pick Lunare? That speed >:)

Sucks f-zero folks can't enjoy controlling the vehicle this fast, the speed is crazy, and is less involved than wipeout, hence the f-zero mentions but you still have to know how to take corners. Airbrakes take some getting used to.

I had no issues with the tracks and you definitely don't need to have them memorized.

Skyzard

Banned
Yes. I was doing perfect laps and still not winning when playing quick race.

Were you letting go of accelerator fully? Or pressing brakes (not airbrake)?

For me the AI is at a great level, encourages me to keep playing and I'm getting bronze and silver for most events. Any easier and it wouldn't be much fun imo.

These games are always about going fast and nailing the track and vehicle movement.

You can upgrade aspects of your ship too. (And you know there is a recharging boost, right?).

I've just been going through the career, working towards class 3 now.

Baleoce

Weird. I modified the settings file to do true fullscreen and it crashed my PC. Anyone else had a similar issue?

So I heard somewhere that its possible to do all these tracks without braking, but I'm finding it really hard to take corners nicely. I'm so used to the handling of F-Zero that I'm not really sure how to do hard turns in this. I've tried using the left stick (E.g If I want a hard left, I go left on both sticks) but I still end up grinding against the wall. Anyone got any suggestions?

(Great game btw!)

selo

So I heard somewhere that its possible to do all these tracks without braking, but I'm finding it really hard to take corners nicely. I'm so used to the handling of F-Zero that I'm not really sure how to do hard turns in this. I've tried using the left stick (E.g If I want a hard left, I go left on both sticks) but I still end up grinding against the wall. Anyone got any suggestions?

(Great game btw!)

The way I'm doing it is move towards the corner and with the right stick press the opposite direction. E.g. if there's a curve to the right, left stick to the right and right stick to the left and then boost. It is a bit counterintuitive and takes a bit of getting used to, but I think its better than breaking, hard to master.

Skyzard

Banned
If I'm in a bad position and I'm going too fast, I'll ease off the accelerator and maybe slightly tap the airbrakes and you drop speed rather fast without accelerator as well.

Btw- press the accelerator again (after easing off or letting go) quicker than you think you should as it takes a while to ramp up again. So you're basically just tapping, off for a split-second then on again, before you've gotten out the corner.

Some of these Class II races...man. The difficulty certainly pushes you to improve. Also the yoshihisa ship is quite cool, got to try it out on a contract. Might try the alternative controls.

this game is way too fucking hard. im an average wipeout player, but cant even get above 4th/5th on the first class II race with opponents

performance doesnt seem to be great. 980ti/4690k and the game feels like its stuttering if i crash into the wall. RTSS doesnt seem to work in this so i cant really tell what my frame rate is though

looks great and i like what they are going for though

Skyzard

Banned
this game is way too fucking hard. im an average wipeout player, but cant even get above 4th/5th on the first class II race with opponents

performance doesnt seem to be great. 980ti/4690k and the game feels like its stuttering if i crash into the wall. RTSS doesnt seem to work in this so i cant really tell what my frame rate is though

looks great and i like what they are going for though

Class II is hard for sure. I'm sort of glad though as it's helping me to understand how to control it properly before Class III which I am pretty worried about hah.

Classic controls with strafing on the triggers seems a bit more comfortable for me, they're not typical airbrakes from wipeout though and it means acceleration is digital on the A button.

I'm on a 980ti and similar processor at 4.2 and it's running really well on max here...perhaps shadowplay or something else is affecting it? My INI file says:
ResolutionSizeX=2194
ResolutionSizeY=1234

I think by class III I'll have to have the tracks down to memory (at least the tougher turns) as you really need to anticipate the corners now and position yourself accordingly for the inevitable air drift as you take the turn.

120v

game looks sick. but i've blown so much money on VR games to just go "woah that's cool" and not touch it again... this one will have to wait

Coolade

Does it have 21:9 support?

Looks really great!

I can confirm it does have 21:9 support. Games won't list it outright, the best way is to youtube it a few days after launch to see if videos are being uploaded with that aspect ratio.

Trojan X

Banned
Hmm... Not sure about this game.

I think certain stages looks stunning but the tracks themselves doesn't appear challenging to me and designed in a way that will encourage you to increase your skills. F-Zero and Wipeout series are very good games in that regard, but this one... it seems more taxing due to the speed of your opponents more than anything else as most of the tracks are repetitive in respect to cornering and so on. I'm not really feeling the music either, seems like an ok & miss to me.

To be frank, I predict that this would be a really nice VR experience but as a very good game that you would go back to again and again and again,I can't see it at this stage. I guess I need to see more.

To improve the graphics, I think they should tone-down the colour grade filter, light flares and drop the shadow levels slightly so more shadows, colour variety and depth would be revealed. That would hopefully increase the beauty of each stage, and it should help the player see the corners and side/edge of the tracks more clearly.

Like to see the reviews from people that plays games like F-Zero, Wipeout and other arcade style racers.

Top Bottom