• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Invitational featuring Dabuz, Abadango, and Momochi

Neoxon

I think this way of thinking of really trying to put ARMS in a box is why SFV performed the way it did. Marketing this as something anyone can play without having to learn inputs, which is what will happen for the "button" configuration, is casting a wider net.
As mentioned in another thread, the only reason why SFV underperformed was because of its rocky & barebones launch, that's it. The game is actually relatively easy to get into.

Wow that footage was way cooler than anything Nintendo has shown so far, and the impressions by Dabuz were excellent.
That's kinda par the course for fighting games. The demonstrations by other pros usually looks more interesting to watch than fights between developers (unless the dev team has pros within them, like Combofiend with SFV & now MvCI).

As mentioned in another thread, the only reason why SFV underperformed was because of its rocky & barebones launch, that's it. The game is actually relatively easy to get into.

Not to mention ARMS is a brand new IP while SF5 is the nth iteration in a series and is expected to have at least as much content as the previous iteration, which it completely paled in regards to (even compared to vanilla SF4 I believe)

atr0cious

I'm talking the thought of marketing this as a hardcore fighting game, via not​mentioning motion controls, and focusing on the "core," which SFV did with the bare bones launch. There's a reason For Honor focused on it's accessible controls and never went too deep into the fighting terminology.

Neoxon

Ok, excellent. I wonder if it'll turn out that using the controller is the far superior option competitively or if the joycon method with punching motions will be on par.
In the case of Splatoon, motion controls prevailed, but that only involved moving the camera vertically. With ARMS having more involved motion controls, I'd imagine that most tournament-goers would just stick with traditional controls.

I'm talking the thought of marketing this as a hardcore fighting game, via not​mentioning motion controls, and focusing on the "core," which SFV did with the bare bones launch. There's a reason For Honor focused on it's accessible controls and never went too deep into the fighting terminology.
Marketing towards the core isn't much of an issue as long as you have a decent amount of content from the get-go to keep the casuals happy, which is the issue that SFV faced on its launch. There is such a thing as a happy medium.

DKL

In the case of Splatoon, motion controls prevailed, but that only involved moving the camera vertically. With ARMS having more involved motion controls, I'd imagine that most tournament-goers would just stick with traditional controls.

Having watched the player cam in the invitational, I do not believe that I am physically capable of using this game's motion controls for like 10 hours assuming I'm doing a long session lol

atr0cious

Marketing towards the core isn't much of an issue as long as you have a decent amount of content from the get-go to keep the casuals happy, which is the issue that SFV faced on its launch. There is such a thing as a happy medium.
Yes, but a happy medium isn't not mentioning motion controls, which is what I'm responding to. The same thing happened with Splatoon, previews focused on motion controls, though some were able to switch if they wanted, though they were at a disadvantage. For all we know, they just don't want to discourage folks if they switch them off and see they have to do advanced inputs to keep up.

SalvaPot

I just realized I have a question. Does ARMS featuure HD Rumble in any way? For example receiving a electricity-infused punch may feel like an electric current on the joycon or something like that?

Also, I am working on the "ARMS Fan-Art following already" thread, PM me great fan-art (Or save it for when the thread is up)..

Coda

I just realized I have a question. Does ARMS featuure HD Rumble in any way? For example receiving a electricity-infused punch may feel like an electric current on the joycon or something like that?

Also, I am working on the "ARMS Fan-Art following already" thread, PM me great fan-art (Or save it for when the thread is up)..

I'm pretty sure people said they could feel the arms almost expand in the joycon when they initially showed the game off so I'm pretty sure it will be utilizing HD rumble.

hatchx

Banned

I don't remember where I read it, but I heard it has some of the best use of HD rumble. You can feel punches landing, you can feel the extension of the punch, etc.

This video and Dabuz's impressions were really encouraging. I think this game is gonna be great.

jdstorm

Banned
Having watched the player cam in the invitational, I do not believe that I am physically capable of using this game's motion controls for like 10 hours assuming I'm doing a long session lol

Motion controlled ARMS. The first Esport that requires athleticism

SalvaPot

I don't remember where I read it, but I heard it has some of the best use of HD rumble. You can feel punches landing, you can feel the extension of the punch, etc.

This video and Dabuz's impressions were really encouraging. I think this game is gonna be great.

Awesome, I am half-way through the invitational video and I am watcing the Dabuz video next.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Ok, excellent. I wonder if it'll turn out that using the controller is the far superior option competitively or if the joycon method with punching motions will be on par.

Or maybe the motion controls will be the superior option? I don't know how you'd curve arms independently and simultaneously without them.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
I played a ton of ARMS at Dreamland, and my impression is that the game is a bad, hard-to-control version of Virtual On.

The motion control problems stand out a ton when the game gives you punches with both arms instead of throw, the former of which is massively unsafe and generally not something you'd do to a target you intended to do the latter to.

I tried out the entire cast and Ninjara was mad good with Mummy being terrible. Ninjara's evasion, dash length/speed, teleports, stun arms, chakram arms, and high-damage throw (because his is a combo) all contribute to making him stupid good. Ribbon Girl is probably second best, but she doesn't have a boomerang-style weapon that hits from behind like Ninja does.

I can totally see how they'd screw over people not using motion controls as well, since stretching weapons at range and piloting the individual boomerang arms require motion use.

Regiruler

A port is inevitable. The WiiU version still has none of the extra arcade content.

They need to actually fix that for the people who fucking bought it.

I'm quite certain that the period from the wii u launch to the first extra character is shorter than the period from Empoleon to now.

hatchx

Banned
The motion control problems stand out a ton when the game gives you punches with both arms instead of throw, the former of which is massively unsafe and generally not something you'd do to a target you intended to do the latter to.

Hmm, I do wonder how this will be handled.

El Odio

Banned

Having tried ARMS at one of those switch events in February I can say that the HD rumble was great. You could really feel when you decided to curve a punch midway through it.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
All those motions are easily mappable to the thumb sticks

Not unless you can map a separate axis of motion to your thumbsticks. The game uses Joycon motion to determine when/where you attack and Joycon tilt to determine the angle of attack.

I forgot to mention that meter is bananas. You can super cancel throw whiff recovery, so once you stock a super you can just spam throws and super through any punish attempts. Supers at neutral sucks because it locks you out of throwing the opponent and they can super on reaction. Blocking also sucks unless your name is Ninjara because you can react to the blue block flash and throw the opponent for free.

DKL

I forgot to mention that meter is bananas. You can super cancel throw whiff recovery, so once you stock a super you can just spam throws and super through any punish attempts. Supers at neutral sucks because it locks you out of throwing the opponent and they can super on reaction. Blocking also sucks unless your name is Ninjara because you can react to the blue block flash and throw the opponent for free.

Can't possibly be as bad as the meta surrounding x-factoring out of blockstun in UMVC3 >_>

But yeah, I do see adjustments to gameplay in the future. For now though, I would hope they would let it rock as opposed to panic balancing.

(and then I can complain later about subsequent nerfs or whatever)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Using the analogs most likely.

Oh. I hadn't even thought of using analogue sticks as 1:1 with the motion controls. Both sticks to the sides to juke, both inside to block, forward to shoot/punch, curve by tilting the stick after the punch goes out, it'd work out.

Top Bottom