• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TeacherGAF |OT| Learn Something New Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread.

I've been a High school and 6th Form History teacher in the UK for 10 years. Love the teaching, getting fed up with the obsession over data. Great job though, can't imagine doing anything else.

Oh cool, there's finally an OT for this. I'm not a teacher yet, but I'm a teacher candidate/student teacher in Ontario. Almost done university, and then it will all be a matter of finding a job.

Glad there's an OT for this. I'm just wrapping up my first year as a 6th grade English/Social Studies teacher. It's been, without a doubt, the hardest year of my life. School's in a pretty tough neighborhood, too. Unfortunately, due to circumstances both within and beyond my control, the administration has decided not to renew my contract for next year. It's been pretty hard, because I love the family I've found there and I will miss them. Not sure where I'll be next year, but I'm not leaving education so easily.

Glad there's an OT for this. I'm just wrapping up my first year as a 6th grade English/Social Studies teacher. It's been, without a doubt, the hardest year of my life. School's in a pretty tough neighborhood, too. Unfortunately, due to circumstances both within and beyond my control, the administration has decided not to renew my contract for next year. It's been pretty hard, because I love the family I've found there and I will miss them. Not sure where I'll be next year, but I'm not leaving education so easily.

That sucks. Also a first year teacher, and will probably only stay at this school for one more year.

Big-E

In some school districts, teachers can not have a renewal until they have taught for 8 years. So every year teachers are laid off and have to reapply to get the job. Cheer up and send applications everywhere.

sikkinixx

Last Week Tonight talks about Standardized Tests: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lyURyVz7k

What does TeacherGaf think of standardized tests? (Or just tests in general?) We have a version of these in Sweden as well and I personally think they're worthless. The only thing they evaluate is how good a kid is at performing under pressure and if they had a bad night, haven't eaten, or is just in a bad mood a day during one of these tests, it will ruin the kids results completely. I get a better overview of what the kids know and understand by being in the classroom and talking to them during the lesson, than by reading test scores.

I've been changing a lot of the tests I give, trying to get away from the generic multiple choice or basic concept paragraph answer ("What caused WWI?") Most have become in class writing, they can prepare a note sheet the day before if they'd like and the questions (Social Studies and English mostly) as their opinions on things: "Do you think _______ was a good leader/person/whatever? What are some policies they enacted you felt were positive? How do you think______ event would play out if it were to happen in today's world?" It lets me see if they get the big picture ideas and also lets me help them work on writing thoroughly and persuasively, without being paranoid they are forgetting bits of info that can be looked up on Google in 3 seconds.

So many of the learning outcomes are really just wanting students to know how x event influenced y in our world today. "How did the American/French/British revolution/civil war influence our democracy today?" They don't NEED to know all the dates or all the people. They don't NEED to know the weird lines of succession of the Stuarts in England. They need to understand a shift from absolute power of a monarch to a (quasi)democractic government, and how that relates to what we have today. So quizzing the shit out of them on knowing the date of the magna carta is a waste of everyone's time and brain power.

My AP US History class just took their AP test.

Never realized how stressful this is as a teacher.... plus i have to wait 2 months for results.

Owl

Neo Member
Almost a teacher for 9th-12th grade English. :) I just have to finish up my student teaching next semester in the fall.

obin_gam

Graduation day today! Then follows vacation until 17th of August.
We have decided our Jr High graduates will march out to "Imperial March".

It will be epic.

Spending the summer on classes, conferences, and lesson planning for the next year.

Those who told me that one of the perks of teaching was getting the summer off lied to me...

NysGAF

Even though I've been teaching for fifteen years, this will be my first year with a homeroom. What do I do with them on the first day of school!? It's a sixth grade class and there will be no rotating; I'll have them all day. Well, minimum day, 7:55am-noon, thank goodness. So what's your go to first day activity?

Everyone ready for the new school year.

I have one week of freedom left.

Funny thing is that I am not nervous at all, which is a new experience. Last year (my first) I was terrified.

ionitron

Everyone ready for the new school year.

I have one week of freedom left.

Funny thing is that I am not nervous at all, which is a new experience. Last year (my first) I was terrified.

Since you're a relatively new teacher, would you mind if I ask you a few questions?

Did you just graduate from college and get a job teaching? If so, how exactly did you go about that? Probably a little vague I guess, but did you go straight to the school board of your county, or some sort of career fair or something?

Also, prior to getting the job, do you mind if I ask what kind of prior experience you had that helped you land it? Is it just as easy as "Student teaching" or like, I really don't know.

I'm a junior in college right now, getting a BS in Zoology and a minor in STEM education. This semester I'm going to start going back into classrooms. I'm just kind of scared about what exactly I might need to do after. Since its not a straight education degree I feel like I may missing out on obvious information like this.

Since you're a relatively new teacher, would you mind if I ask you a few questions?

Did you just graduate from college and get a job teaching? If so, how exactly did you go about that? Probably a little vague I guess, but did you go straight to the school board of your county, or some sort of career fair or something?

Also, prior to getting the job, do you mind if I ask what kind of prior experience you had that helped you land it? Is it just as easy as "Student teaching" or like, I really don't know.

I'm a junior in college right now, getting a BS in Zoology and a minor in STEM education. This semester I'm going to start going back into classrooms. I'm just kind of scared about what exactly I might need to do after. Since its not a straight education degree I feel like I may missing out on obvious information like this.
Yes, I just graduated a year ago and received a job offer within a couple months.

Most large districts do screening interviews first. These are super important, because if you do well in the screening interview, they will then send you to individual schools to interview.

On the bright side, if you apply to a small handful of large school districts, you can get a lot of interviews.

Build relationships with your cooperating teachers while student teaching. Most schools put a LOT of emphasis on your references since you will be working with kids.

I actually ended up at a charter school, which are the only schools where you apply to them directly.

(As a stem teacher, you will have 0 problems landing a job.)

Piano

Banned
I'm currently in college pursuing a degree in music education. While I don't doubt that I excel at both music and teaching I've got a lot of doubts and anxiety about going into the field.

For one, I'm not comfortable with the idea of a job taking over my life. I am more than my job, and I am more, as a person, than my interest in music and teaching. Having at least a few hours off a day to pursue personal interests (meditation, exercise) and spend time with those whom I love and care about is deeply important to me. I've gotten varying answers on whether or not this is simply impossible if you're a teacher. Some teachers have told me that's just the way it is - you're underpaid and overworked, deal with it. Some teachers have told me it depends on the age level - that high school is a 100hrs/week job but elementary school is much more manageable as long as you're good with kids since there aren't as many expectations. Some teachers have told me that your FIRST year you'll be super overworked and busy but that it does level off after a few years once you solidify your teaching style, lesson plans, etc.

Second, I have no idea what age group I want to teach. This is only my second year in the program so I have time to figure it out, but still, I worry about making the right choice. The program is essentially divided into Middle/High school music (the track I'm currently on) and Elementary music. I'm currently taking my first Elementary Ed class and hopefully the field work that I'm doing for the course will give me more perspective. I used to think "High School, duh" but after talking to some teachers I'm not so sure. A middle school chorus teacher explained the appeal to me as, basically, if you can learn to work with middle schoolers than teaching middle school is best because there are almost no expectations of them (musically). Nobody goes to a middle school chorus concert and expects it to be much of anything. Instead of focusing on competitions and impressing parents you just work on improving them as people and musicians as much as possible.

Third, I'm worried about making connections. Every year there are 2-3 music education conferences in the region, and last year I didn't go to any of them. I was very busy with school and knew it would stress me to hell and back to have to pack my ass into a car and go somewhere to spend a whole weekend at seminars and meet 'n greets selling myself to a zillion people while I'm still years from teaching and am not even sure I want to teach in this state (Florida). I told myself I'd go this year but now...I'm not so sure. Again, it just seems extremely stressful.

The actual meat and potatoes of the program - piano, conducting, education techniques - is super interesting to me and is pretty gratifying, and that's what's keeping me going for now. And luckily I'm not too worried about pay, since I don't have any debt I need to pay down and plan on getting a masters which should boost pay up to an acceptable level.

I'm interested if anyone has any perspective.

Subbed the thread.

peach

This is an awesome thread. I didn't know it existed. I have always had a calling to special education. After teaching several years, I now run a support area for high schoolers with disabilities in a public school. Sometimes I miss my classroom but I love my job. Happy teaching!

I'm currently in college pursuing a degree in music education. While I don't doubt that I excel at both music and teaching I've got a lot of doubts and anxiety about going into the field.

For one, I'm not comfortable with the idea of a job taking over my life. I am more than my job, and I am more, as a person, than my interest in music and teaching. Having at least a few hours off a day to pursue personal interests (meditation, exercise) and spend time with those whom I love and care about is deeply important to me. I've gotten varying answers on whether or not this is simply impossible if you're a teacher. Some teachers have told me that's just the way it is - you're underpaid and overworked, deal with it. Some teachers have told me it depends on the age level - that high school is a 100hrs/week job but elementary school is much more manageable as long as you're good with kids since there aren't as many expectations. Some teachers have told me that your FIRST year you'll be super overworked and busy but that it does level off after a few years once you solidify your teaching style, lesson plans, etc.

Second, I have no idea what age group I want to teach. This is only my second year in the program so I have time to figure it out, but still, I worry about making the right choice. The program is essentially divided into Middle/High school music (the track I'm currently on) and Elementary music. I'm currently taking my first Elementary Ed class and hopefully the field work that I'm doing for the course will give me more perspective. I used to think "High School, duh" but after talking to some teachers I'm not so sure. A middle school chorus teacher explained the appeal to me as, basically, if you can learn to work with middle schoolers than teaching middle school is best because there are almost no expectations of them (musically). Nobody goes to a middle school chorus concert and expects it to be much of anything. Instead of focusing on competitions and impressing parents you just work on improving them as people and musicians as much as possible.

Third, I'm worried about making connections. Every year there are 2-3 music education conferences in the region, and last year I didn't go to any of them. I was very busy with school and knew it would stress me to hell and back to have to pack my ass into a car and go somewhere to spend a whole weekend at seminars and meet 'n greets selling myself to a zillion people while I'm still years from teaching and am not even sure I want to teach in this state (Florida). I told myself I'd go this year but now...I'm not so sure. Again, it just seems extremely stressful.

The actual meat and potatoes of the program - piano, conducting, education techniques - is super interesting to me and is pretty gratifying, and that's what's keeping me going for now. And luckily I'm not too worried about pay, since I don't have any debt I need to pay down and plan on getting a masters which should boost pay up to an acceptable level.

Subbed the thread.
1. Having time for yourself is about organization. Buckle down the first year or two and build a very solid curriculum that you can use for years to come. If you only plan day to day, you will be buried for the rest of your career.

2. Middle school s not nearly as bad as people say. I enjoy it, though I teach high school as well.

3. Networking is surprisingly not helpful in education. While some may luck out and land a job from them, that is very rare as the application process has become more and more automated over the years. In many districts, a principle CANNOT choose who they interview, the district does that, and that is based on their own screening interview.

Subbed the thread.

I teach in the UK, but it sounds that things are fairly similar in terms of expectations and concerns about teaching, wherever you are. You have to love the idea of education and inspiring young people, otherwise the job is a grind. Some teachers just coast through their careers, but in order to enjoy it there has to be a passion and that means you will work long hours outside the classroom.

However, there has to be a balance. I am a committed teacher, but I also have my own interests and a family who I want to spend quality time with. I have learnt, particularly over the last few years, to really focus on time management and ensure quality of life is maintained. Easier said than done of course.

Main thing though is the passion and desire to be a teacher rather than think of it as something to do with a qualification.

watershed

Banned
Cool thread!

I've taught abroad and am now getting my MiT in the states. School is about to start up again but I'm not ready for summer break to end.

Subbed the thread.

I went to school for music education, and currently have a job in it, so I think I can answer some of your questions.

First of all, I felt the same way about it taking over my life. I went into college knowing that I would be doing the 5 year master's program. That meant that I would be getting my bachelor's in performance, and then my masters in education. I absolutely loved getting my degree in music performance, it was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. And then when grad school started, everything that I loved about music and college were gone. I found that even though I had a passion for education, the program was destroying my interest in it (something that I do not blame my college for, but more the nature of education. If I had went for my bachelor's in education I wouldn't have made it). So once grad school was over, I didn't necessarily have the drive I needed to pursue a job, so I kept up with the performance end of things instead.

Last year however, I wanted more money and the sour taste that grad school gave me had worn off and I was ready. I got a full year long-term sub position for K-5 music. That meant teaching general music, and chorus. I went to school for saxophone and have always been a band guy, so this was extremely out of my element. I was really nervous going into the job, and had only got the job a week before the school year started. I will say that last year I had very little extra time to write music and pursue other music interests outside of the K-5 sphere. However, even though I had no interest in teaching younger kids, I absolutely loved the experience, and I would recommend it to anyone. I think that we're lucky in that if we have a music certification, we are not limited to either elementary or secondary, rather we are K-12. If you try teaching an age group for one year and you don't like it, you can switch gears completely. For instance, even though I liked my job last year, this year I'll be teaching high school level band and music theory, which is the total opposite end of the spectrum (and thankfully this means a lot less work for me). I have heard that music educators have the highest rate of divorce among teachers because of the intense workload (especially at high school) but that won't always be the case. For instance, my high school position this year is at a good urban magnet school with no marching band and plenty of designated hours during the day for rehearsal, so I don't see myself spending late nights at school.

As far as connections, I can tell you that every single interview and job that I've received past college was from professors or friends I made in school. It may not be necessary to network at those education conferences (I've only ever been to one), it is definitely a priority to wow your friends and teachers. I always say that half of what you are paying for in college are connections, so make the most of it.

Lastly, I think music education is simply the best thing to teach at all ages. Ours is always the class that keeps students wanting to come to school, especially in this age of testing. Ours is the class that students eagerly wait for each day, the class students can actually have fun in, and the class that students will remember years after schooling. I hope I answered some of your questions, but if you have any more I'd be happy to answer what I can. Stick with it!

ionitron

Yes, I just graduated a year ago and received a job offer within a couple months.

Most large districts do screening interviews first. These are super important, because if you do well in the screening interview, they will then send you to individual schools to interview.

On the bright side, if you apply to a small handful of large school districts, you can get a lot of interviews.

Build relationships with your cooperating teachers while student teaching. Most schools put a LOT of emphasis on your references since you will be working with kids.

I actually ended up at a charter school, which are the only schools where you apply to them directly.

(As a stem teacher, you will have 0 problems landing a job.)

Thank you very much!

I also wonder, how far in advance do you guys prepare your lessons? My professors really emphasize super integrative lessons that take... quite some preparation, and I cannot imagine doing something like that for every benchmark. I know time management is important, but what exactly can I expect, from your guy's experience?

Like Piano said, I too think about the time it takes. I am aware that the first year is going to be hard, and that eventually it will get easier, but I feel like I only ever hear that it's just way too much outside of class itself. Teachers also say that the summers aren't really breaks, either, but I just can't believe its as bad during the school year.

Piano

Banned
1. Having time for yourself is about organization. Buckle down the first year or two and build a very solid curriculum that you can use for years to come. If you only plan day to day, you will be buried for the rest of your career.

2. Middle school s not nearly as bad as people say. I enjoy it, though I teach high school as well.

3. Networking is surprisingly not helpful in education. While some may luck out and land a job from them, that is very rare as the application process has become more and more automated over the years. In many districts, a principle CANNOT choose who they interview, the district does that, and that is based on their own screening interview.

I teach in the UK, but it sounds that things are fairly similar in terms of expectations and concerns about teaching, wherever you are. You have to love the idea of education and inspiring young people, otherwise the job is a grind. Some teachers just coast through their careers, but in order to enjoy it there has to be a passion and that means you will work long hours outside the classroom.

However, there has to be a balance. I am a committed teacher, but I also have my own interests and a family who I want to spend quality time with. I have learnt, particularly over the last few years, to really focus on time management and ensure quality of life is maintained. Easier said than done of course.

Main thing though is the passion and desire to be a teacher rather than think of it as something to do with a qualification.

Thank you for the responses. It's all very helpful to hear, particularly that balance is attainable. I do really hope to get a system in place with my teaching as soon as possible so I'm not making it up day-to-day...that sounds like a disaster!

I went to school for music education, and currently have a job in it, so I think I can answer some of your questions.

First of all, I felt the same way about it taking over my life. I went into college knowing that I would be doing the 5 year master's program. That meant that I would be getting my bachelor's in performance, and then my masters in education. I absolutely loved getting my degree in music performance, it was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. And then when grad school started, everything that I loved about music and college were gone. I found that even though I had a passion for education, the program was destroying my interest in it (something that I do not blame my college for, but more the nature of education. If I had went for my bachelor's in education I wouldn't have made it). So once grad school was over, I didn't necessarily have the drive I needed to pursue a job, so I kept up with the performance end of things instead.

Last year however, I wanted more money and the sour taste that grad school gave me had worn off and I was ready. I got a full year long-term sub position for K-5 music. That meant teaching general music, and chorus. I went to school for saxophone and have always been a band guy, so this was extremely out of my element. I was really nervous going into the job, and had only got the job a week before the school year started. I will say that last year I had very little extra time to write music and pursue other music interests outside of the K-5 sphere. However, even though I had no interest in teaching younger kids, I absolutely loved the experience, and I would recommend it to anyone. I think that we're lucky in that if we have a music certification, we are not limited to either elementary or secondary, rather we are K-12. If you try teaching an age group for one year and you don't like it, you can switch gears completely. For instance, even though I liked my job last year, this year I'll be teaching high school level band and music theory, which is the total opposite end of the spectrum (and thankfully this means a lot less work for me). I have heard that music educators have the highest rate of divorce among teachers because of the intense workload (especially at high school) but that won't always be the case. For instance, my high school position this year is at a good urban magnet school with no marching band and plenty of designated hours during the day for rehearsal, so I don't see myself spending late nights at school.

As far as connections, I can tell you that every single interview and job that I've received past college was from professors or friends I made in school. It may not be necessary to network at those education conferences (I've only ever been to one), it is definitely a priority to wow your friends and teachers. I always say that half of what you are paying for in college are connections, so make the most of it.

Lastly, I think music education is simply the best thing to teach at all ages. Ours is always the class that keeps students wanting to come to school, especially in this age of testing. Ours is the class that students eagerly wait for each day, the class students can actually have fun in, and the class that students will remember years after schooling. I hope I answered some of your questions, but if you have any more I'd be happy to answer what I can. Stick with it!

This is extremely helpful, and it's awesome to hear that there's another music educator here on GAF!

Fortunately, from what I know, I've been making good impressions on both my teachers and my peers, and I'm glad that going to NAfME / ACDA conferences isn't going to be the make or break for getting a job down the road. Also, you're not the first who I've heard mention that they were surprised at how much they enjoyed teaching K-5 and that's why I'm so interested to see how I feel in K-5 classrooms this semester. It seems like such an appealing job if I could get comfortable in the role.

I hope your transition to high school goes smoothly! If you've got the time and space of mind to pop in here now and then and share your insights into teaching in music classrooms I'll definitely be here to read them.

Thank you very much!

I also wonder, how far in advance do you guys prepare your lessons? My professors really emphasize super integrative lessons that take... quite some preparation, and I cannot imagine doing something like that for every benchmark. I know time management is important, but what exactly can I expect, from your guy's experience?

Like Piano said, I too think about the time it takes. I am aware that the first year is going to be hard, and that eventually it will get easier, but I feel like I only ever hear that it's just way too much outside of class itself. Teachers also say that the summers aren't really breaks, either, but I just can't believe its as bad during the school year.

I can only speak to my own experience. I taught 3 subjects including an AP class my first year.

Don't waste your time with super extensive lesson plans your first year. If you spend your whole summer building a curriculum for the year, you will more than likely throw it in the trash after the first week. I would try to only stay about a week ahead during your first year, and don't be afraid to change/adapt. Hell, there were plenty of weeks where I got home and spent 2/3 hours every day lesson planning just to be ready for the next day.

After your first year you can start building the more advanced and specific curriculum.

Though TBH, you will NEVER actually use lesson plans that are are ridiculously in depth and specific as what they teach in college. Mine rarely go over a page, and my college professors would great disapprove of what I choose to not include in it. For example, we spent months going over how to write objectives that are measurable, specific, and accurate. I pretty much ignore all that and write what I NEED to be able to teach the lesson.

Ludovico

Three weeks into my second year of secondary (biology and environmental AP).

Biggest things I know I need to work on to not burn out this year:

• Organization - Luckily our district has moved the entire school to 1-to-1, so I'm able to distribute and collect a lot more assignments digitally. I'm also taking extra care to not fall behind on stuff like fees, emails, and paperwork this year
  • Faster turnaround for grades - We have a pretty powerful system akin to scantron, and the amount of flexibility it offers is great. No excuse to be late on MC portions, however....
  • Feedback - Constructed responses will be the death of me. I have no idea how English teachers do it. Besides having to decipher what my bio students are turning in, I also need to give constructive feedback on the AP work. Google classroom should help for the smaller assignments, but for tests and big essays, I have no idea how to handle the logistics of this
  • Working diligently - I procrastinate. Like, to the point that I'm trying to get stuff together after 10 or 11, and often pulling all-nighters on Sundays. I'd love to avoid that this year, but I'm already off to a bad start.

The one good thing is that I feel much more competent this year, and in general I have a good reputation on campus as a fun teacher who still holds his students accountable.
If anyone has advice or needs to know what NOT to do as a teacher, feel free to ask or PM.

Vice

Anyone transition from one career into teaching? How was the change and how did you balance getting your credential/license with your job's workload? I'm seriously considering the change and have been for awhile, but I want to know what I'm getting into.

Darksol

First day of practicum tomorrow! Ahhh!!

I just had my first practicum a few weeks ago. Just take it one day at a time!

Fake edit: I just realized your comment is a bit old. How'd it go?

I'm a SPED teacher. Nice to see this here.

How's that like? I don't have any friends that are special education teachers.

Anyone transition from one career into teaching? How was the change and how did you balance getting your credential/license with your job's workload? I'm seriously considering the change and have been for awhile, but I want to know what I'm getting into.

I graduated from a policing program, did many years in private security and then I was the manager of a large retail store. Not going to lie -- trying to acquire teaching certifications on top of a full time job was no easy feat -- but it is doable. You just have to get really good at managing your time, and be willing to sacrifice some sleep :p

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

I won't say it's impossible but it would be very difficult. Most places require a degree in education to get a license. If you plan on being a school teacher and not just tutor english in an asian country, you will have to invest in a program that will take a large chunk of your time and money. My masters of education program was a year long and half it was classes throughout the day, while the second half was student teaching all day long. You may be able to figure out a way to do the classes while still working your old career, but not the student teaching part. You can possibly do what I did and finish my classes first year, and then ask to postpone the second half until the next school year while taking the time in between to work odd jobs and save up some money.

Vice

I graduated from a policing program, did many years in private security and then I was the manager of a large retail store. Not going to lie -- trying to acquire teaching certifications on top of a full time job was no easy feat -- but it is doable. You just have to get really good at managing your time, and be willing to sacrifice some sleep :p
I already barely sleep. I managed to finish my BA while working full-time, so it might not be too hard to get back into the groove.

I won't say it's impossible but it would be very difficult. Most places require a degree in education to get a license. If you plan on being a school teacher and not just tutor english in an asian country, you will have to invest in a program that will take a large chunk of your time and money. My masters of education program was a year long and half it was classes throughout the day, while the second half was student teaching all day long. You may be able to figure out a way to do the classes while still working your old career, but not the student teaching part. You can possibly do what I did and finish my classes first year, and then ask to postpone the second half until the next school year while taking the time in between to work odd jobs and save up some money.
I'll have to look into this. From my understanding, in California, I haven't seen a master's of education as a requirement for many positions at the K-12 level. Though, I haven't done extensive research on that just yet.

WoodWERD

Anyone here do Teach for America, or another alternative certification program? Or have a colleague who did? I'm teaching in China and have started considering a temporary move back to the states for a couple years to get certified/experience. Then I plan to head back to Asia.

I'm from Texas which has an abundance of alt-cert programs, and I realize the pros and cons of going that route. I guess I'd like to hear some first (or second) hand accounts of whether these programs are worth it, and if there are good markets outside of Texas I should look into. Are there any good national-level recruiters for teachers? And are there any good teaching forums I should check out? Thanks.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I already barely sleep. I managed to finish my BA while working full-time, so it might not be too hard to get back into the groove.

I'll have to look into this. From my understanding, in California, I haven't seen a master's of education as a requirement for many positions at the K-12 level. Though, I haven't done extensive research on that just yet.

A masters no, but a degree of some kind (BA for instance) in education is usually required. But there are exceptions in some places obviously.

Practicum? What kind of work are you doing with your cooperating teacher?
Sorry, totally forgot to post after I said that.

I could write pages and pages about my experience, but to sum it up briefly I'm sort of confused. The placement went fine, with lots of ups and downs regarding my mental health, but I'm in a spot where I'm unsure if I want to keep doing this.

Working with kids > love of my subject

Unfortunately, you need to know what you're talking about to teach it to kids and I found that to be my biggest struggle.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or words of advice through PM.

So, I've started subbing, and one of my usual clients wants me to make my own lesson. It's for a 9th grade geography class at an alternative school, no more than 10 kids per class.

She wants to introduce an Asian country, like China or Japan, and wants students to get a feel for what life is like in those countries. Her plan was to show them a video and give them an article and have them write a summary.

Does anyone have any lessons they've used to introduce life in other countries? Any suggestions, even? Her lesson seems effective enough, but kind of boring.

MiszMasz

So, I've started subbing, and one of my usual clients wants me to make my own lesson. It's for a 9th grade geography class at an alternative school, no more than 10 kids per class.

She wants to introduce an Asian country, like China or Japan, and wants students to get a feel for what life is like in those countries. Her plan was to show them a video and give them an article and have them write a summary.

Does anyone have any lessons they've used to introduce life in other countries? Any suggestions, even? Her lesson seems effective enough, but kind of boring.

For Japan i'd suggest a series on Youtube called 'Begin Japanology', for easy to digest info and topic ideas. In terms of 'getting a feel' for life in another country, anything that the kids could compare to their day to day lives would be good. How's school different? What do children in these countries do in their spare time / for hobbies? What's home and the family like?
Maybe if you can make or get hold of bento where you are, compare it to their school / pack lunches and (depending on the school's rules / allergy checks) let the kids try some.

For Japan i'd suggest a series on Youtube called 'Begin Japanology', for easy to digest info and topic ideas. In terms of 'getting a feel' for life in another country, anything that the kids could compare to their day to day lives would be good. How's school different? What do children in these countries do in their spare time / for hobbies? What's home and the family like?
Maybe if you can make or get hold of bento where you are, compare it to their school / pack lunches and (depending on the school's rules / allergy checks) let the kids try some.

Thanks! Those videos seem really informative, if a bit on the long side.

obin_gam

So, to get my Swedish students more comfortable speaking English, I bought a game...
ZsHRefJ.jpg
I'll of course search through the cards and remove the worst offensive ones. But I think the students, who are all 15 yo (two years younger than the recommended age on the box) will find the game funny - and if they find something funny, they'll take it to heart.

Just ordered the games Snake Oil and Funemployed as well, since thay are both great conversation games :(

Laieon

So, to get my Swedish students more comfortable speaking English, I bought a game...

I'll of course search through the cards and remove the worst offensive ones. But I think the students, who are all 15 yo (two years younger than the recommended age on the box) will find the game funny - and if they find something funny, they'll take it to heart.

Just ordered the games Snake Oil and Funemployed as well, since thay are both great conversation games :(

Apples to Apples probably would've been a better, less risky choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom