• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TeacherGAF |OT| Learn Something New Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
54uiZAy.jpg

Welcome to TeacherGAF!

This thread is dedicated to the community of awesome teachers on NeoGAF. Whether you're an aspiring teacher, an experienced educator, everyone is welcome to share their experiences, ask for/give advice, or just hang out.

Resources

• Edutopia on Pintrest - Inspiration and information for what works in education.
  • YouTube EDU - Launched in 2009, Youtube EDU centralizes content from over 100 universities and colleges, providing access to lectures, research, and campus tours. Think of it as an enormous global video classroom within the YouTube framework, divided into three sub-categories: Primary & Secondary Education, University and Lifelong Learning.
  • TED-Ed - This channel offers an extensive library of original videos meant to inform and inspire. A new lesson is posted every day, Monday-Friday, and relevant TED Talks are highlighted on weekends.
  • The Teacher’s Guides To Technology And Learning - Edudemic's catalog of guides to support teachers to keep up in the ever growing technology age.
  • Teachers Pay Teachers - The world’s first and largest open marketplace for educators to buy, sell, and share their original resources. (Thanks Travo!)

Other Links

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Subbed!

The plan is to become a primary grade teacher! Currently 1/5th from my goal, study-wise, working hard on it!

GREAT thread btw!

terrisus

Well, I have a Master's in Education, and the coursework on a PhD Education completed (although doesn't look like I'll end up finishing that).

Couldn't find a teaching job after finishing my Master's in 2009 though (Master's was Elemetary Education, although also licensed to teach Mathematics at all grade levels [Massachusetts], since that's what my Bachelor's was in), and it's highly unlikely things will work out with teaching now (aside from the problems with finding a job, also the fact that I had a stroke last year).

So, while I had hopes of being part of TeacherGAF...
Alas, it probably will never happen =(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks for all the tips!

I am a first year AP US History teacher. Also teaching AP US Government next year.

In a small school in a more rural area so I have great kids, but I have to teach a lot of subjects.

Cat

I am not a teacher but have a great respect for the profession and general interest in what I can do to either help teachers or my daughter, who is not at a school-age yet, so I will be following this thread.

yepyepyep

I am doing my Masters in Primary Education right now. I have placement starting on Monday for three weeks so I am doing all my planning this weekend. The teaching (from what I have experienced) is fun, but the planning and assessment seems to be quite stressful. I think one thing that is difficult is that as a primary school teacher you have to teach every subject (except art/pe/LOTE) but I suppose with experience you will develop your resources and have a framework to ease the workload.

Hopefully, I will be able to find a job as well. I hear conflicting reports in Melbourne whether the market is flooded with new teachers or whether there is a demand for them. Although I know people who have managed to land jobs straight out of graduating.

Gaz_RB

I'm not a professional teacher but I am a senior in college teaching a freshman business class. I have gained tons of respect for you guys over the past few weeks. It's not easy.

terrisus

I think one thing that is difficult is that as a primary school teacher you have to teach every subject (except art/pe/LOTE)

Yeah, I remember doing the licensing tests for that over here, it was like a big gameshow trivia quiz or something.
Just kind of have to have a broad knowledge of just about everything.

Risible

I'm not a professional teacher but I am a senior in college teaching a freshman business class. I have gained tons of respect for you guys over the past few weeks. It's not easy.

Wait, they are letting you teach without a degree??

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Subbed.

Currently in my second year of Primary/Elementary School teaching degree. And in the process of starting placement in about three to four weeks. :)

Fugu

Been a guitar/music teacher for years, teacher's college soon. Will keep an eye on this thread.

ReiGun

Anyone ever work as a sub? I recently made the decision to try becoming a teacher, but I want to work as a sub first and get some experience working with kids to make sure it's really what I want to do before I return to school. Would love to hear from those with actual experience not only on what actions I should be taking, but also just what the job is like.

Anyone ever work as a sub? I recently made the decision to try becoming a teacher, but I want to work as a sub first and get some experience working with kids to make sure it's really what I want to do before I return to school. Would love to hear from those with actual experience not only on what actions I should be taking, but also just what the job is like.

I don't feel like the experience of subbing is a good representation of what teaching is like unless you are a long term sub.

It also varies drastically depending on what/where you are teaching.

Travo

I worked as a sub and longtime sub while in college. The lack of respect for substitutes is appalling but not surprising.

Travo

I don't feel like the experience of subbing is a good representation of what teaching is like unless you are a long term sub.

It also varies drastically depending on what/where you are teaching.

Exactly. Do it to gain some experience working procedures in the classroom and to get your foot in the door.

Raxious

Started my study this september. Hoping to become an English teacher. got my first internship starting this november. ( 1 day a week for 20 weeks ).

In the final weeks of my third year studying a double Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Teaching. One more year to go! I'll graduate with a major in History and minor in English/Literature. Looking forward to teaching.

Laieon

I'm currently teaching English in Korea (I've only been here about 2 1/2 months), I subbed for about a year and half after college. I don't have a teaching degree, but I'm contemplating going back and getting a masters in something teaching related whenever I'm ready to go back to the states.

I definitely think it helps with learning how to manage a classroom, but that's about it.

JoeBoy101

If anyone following this thread is thinking of teaching in NC, don't. Run for the goddamn hills! OR to another state for better wages, benefits, professional respect.

ChuyMasta

Woot! HS math here. IB is a program I'm still learning about but for the past couple of years my students test/papers scores have gone up. I like that!

I've no plans to become a teacher and getting a degree, but have been subbing for the last 2 years time as a side job next to uni whenever I got time. Can certainly see the experience it gives you paying off.

Got the job kind of randomly, by whining to a friend who happened to be working at this small private school here, a day or two later the principal (who I also kind of knew) called me up and asked if I wanted the job and how early I could be there haha. Was thrown into it without being prepared at all, but I learnt a lot from it through the years.

kswiston

I teach senior physics, chemistry, biology, intermediate general science, and a smattering of other courses in Ontario. Physics is probably my favourite class to teach, even though I was trained as a biologist. Curriculum expectations are so packed that students are bogged down with mostly memorization in biology and chemistry. In physics, it's almost entirely problem solving (even more so than math ironically). You take a day or two explaining Newton's laws of forces, and then spend a couple weeks exploring the consequences and applications of those laws.

If anyone following this thread is thinking of teaching in NC, don't. Run for the goddamn hills! OR to another state for better wages, benefits, professional respect.
Haha I heard the same thing from a friend of mine who lives in NC. I think the state of things there kind of discouraged him from pursuing a career in education.

MedIC86

Already working 8 years in this field again, teaching history and computer science. Like my job but i cant see myself doing this forever. There comes a moment when i dont experience enough challenges anymore.

obin_gam

Jr High teacher in Sweden here! Teaching English and I'm educated in that as well as history, religion and geography. Not entirely done with the English courses yet - one grammar exam and two linguistics exams need to be passed first.

I have a job though, been working as an English teacher in a small northern town since last fall. It's OK... but it's a giant school with not enough teachers and far too large classes ("the suits" determined that we should only have six classes in every year, which in such a large school is idiotic. There are 30 pupils in each class because of this, and the classrooms are built for exactly 30 so when new kids arrive we are fucked.) Add to this the complete lack of respect a lot of teens today have for their teachers, at least my first year was very rough.

My first job was at my old school as a social science teacher. It was kinda awkward at first having my old teachers as colleagues, but after the office party there was nothing to worry about ;) I worked there for one semester and then the one I was a sub for came back.

Currently I have only four ninth grade classes to teach so the planning and organizing doesn't really take too much time, and these last two weeks they have read books. So I've basically been chilling a while now. In two weeks we're starting a horror theme right in time for Halloween. Thinking about using creepypasta as an example of modern literature. Anyone tried that, or have any ideas on how to do it?

sikkinixx

I'm still subbing and will be for a while. It's the most shit upon and disrespected position from students and other teachers who treat you like a personal assistant. Jobs are real hard to come by around here and I'm not really in the position to move up north to a small town to get a full time spot.

But I still love the job and I've learned a lot about the curriculum from kindergarten to grade 12. It's also given me a great opportunity to have to try a variety of teaching styles and classroom management shit because every day and every group is different. No marking is a plus (well... Little marking, I always end up having some to do).

I've taught AP Literature for many years. Currently enjoying my 16th year of teaching. Rural area in Florida; every school in the district is Title 1. The kids are, generally, pretty great.

I am in pretty much an identical situation lol.

Rural Idaho, and Title 1.

Borman

Make friends with your school librarians, like me. We are certified to teach (at least most of us are in most states). K-12 is a requirement for certification in NY, along with a Masters degree. We do know what we are doing :)

Subbing is like a snapshot of what teaching actually entails, depending on the grade BUT it's a great way to get your foot in the door with a school. If they like you or you make friends with someone up there it can help greatly with the interview process. I subbed and am a paraprofessional(fancy word for TA lol) and they always tell me I should just get a degree in EDU and teach at my school but the stress they endure is not worth it. They honestly got so much on their shoulders and in the higher levels, man some of those kids are nightmares to handle.

Well, I would teach pre k through 2nd or special ed now that I think of it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I start student teaching in the spring. I am terrified.

Hold me, TeacherGAF.

obin_gam

This thread reminded me that I'm thinking of starting a sort of pen-pal project with my pupils.
If anyone of you have classes with 15 year olds and would like them to exchange life stories and other stuff to teens across the pond, let me know :)

For my pupils it would be very good training in writing English, and for your pupils it would be the same basically - practice phrasing and such.

terrisus

The student teaching experience is 99% determined by your cooperating teacher.

Good luck.

Or in my case, the school/setting/district, and the supervisor.

My Cooperating Teacher was fine...
But the rest of it made for a pretty bad experience.

Ludovico

BS in biology, MAT education and first year teaching, I have HS biology and environmental science.
It's extremely draining, but I love being in the class. Those kids that go out of their way to impress you with outside knowledge, or their art skills, or just showing me appreciation for putting up with random crap and showing up with a positive attitude everyday- every little bit of that helps and makes me glad of where I ended up teaching.

With that said, exams this week, then fall break. Hell. Yes

Wafflecakes - admin's asked me about starting AP environmental from scratch next year, and I'm pretty excited about it as long as that's the only new thing I'd have to prep next year.
I'll hopefully catch all the English/Engineering kids that need more AP for gpa and ships, but don't want to take physics/chem/bio. Hoping I'll have enough for two sections.

Teachers receive low wages in almost every state.
I remember a while back a friend of mine shared an article on Facebook that said something to the tune of "Teachers in Finland get Paid as much as Doctors" and I was all like, "Where do I sign up!?" But then it turned out to be fake lol. I've heard teachers are paid fairly well in Luxembourg though.

This thread reminded me that I'm thinking of starting a sort of pen-pal project with my pupils.
If anyone of you have classes with 15 year olds and would like them to exchange life stories and other stuff to teens across the pond, let me know :)

For my pupils it would be very good training in writing English, and for your pupils it would be the same basically - practice phrasing and such.
That actually sounds awesome! I might be able to get the okay for that on my end but I'll have to talk to some people first. I'll keep you posted!

My school is super quirky. They are a college prep school and a VERY picky about exactly how you manage your classroom.

It is a bit smothering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom