• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I, in turn, will disagree with this. The PS2's component out is very distinguishable in game even when comparing YPbPr and YCbCr.

Do you have an example? I think in this Phonedork video even when he's pointing out the differences in a 240p 2D fighting game (where they will be starkest) it's not worth changing your whole setup.https://youtu.be/ffiR4E1id-8?t=21m37s
Cause the thing is, many setups cannot handle PS2 480p through RGsB, so it's likely someone would have to have both the component cable and an RGB cable for that one console. I guess I just try to stay away from that level of inconvenience to get a slightly better picture. If I let myself, the game could turn into simply that instead of actually playing games, but I tend towards OCD and have to police that shit.

If you're using an OSSC -- as is the topic at hand -- all set ups that take 480p will take 480p via RGsB. Additionally, it only takes a regular old scart cable. I don't understand your point.

televator

Do you have an example? I think in this Phonedork video even when he's pointing out the differences in a 240p 2D fighting game (where they will be starkest) it's not worth changing your whole setup.https://youtu.be/ffiR4E1id-8?t=21m37s
Cause the thing is, many setups cannot handle PS2 480p through RGsB, so it's likely someone would have to have both the component cable and an RGB cable for that one console. I guess I just try to stay away from that level of inconvenience to get a slightly better picture. If I let myself, the game could turn into simply that instead of actually playing games, but I tend towards OCD and have to police that shit.

I posted some off screen examples between PS2 and PS3 component in the previous OT. I don't have them on hand right now. It's actually not in 2D where the difference is greater, but in 3D. The PS2 does have noise and zig zagged edges.

I don't particularly like that specific phonedork vid either. What he's pointing out there with colors and contrast is kinda misleading and has more to do with improperly calibraing your monitor.

I'm holding off judgement until I get mine. It did put me off when I first saw it, but it kinda looks shaped like a bigger/wider NESMax (and the shape wasn't the problem I have with that controller). I'm just happy for the horizontal buttons.

Saw this on their facebook too.

I don't think it's going to be that bad, but that's just a hunch so far.
From what I remember seeing somewhere, all inputs will be microswitches and no rubber membrane will be inside so I think everything will be clicky. I can't remember where I saw that though (I think facebook, and I don't really want to go back).

I'm coming around to the design. The images in this post show why. NES controllers were always boxy, and the extra real estate here just seems like it might just give you a little more grip without massively changing the fundamental feel of the OG controller. It's the lack of any color that makes it look really cheap, or like a prototype. And the buttons look just slightly off ... but they might feel just fine.

And honestly ... it kinda looks like it's right out of that era. Lots of NES peripherals looked pretty fugly.

And yes, it's entirely mircoswitched. That could be really nice. Playing a game like Jackal recently really brings out the need for great diagonal inputs. I've found myself switching between the OG and dogbone for that game looking for the right feel.

Definitely want to hear impressions. Please post yours or links to any others you find.

bodine1231

It reminds me of the Max

Got this badboy in yesterday. My most wanted console,and its in beautiful condition! Got it RGB modded,new caps,new lense,etc. Love it

I want one really bad but it'll be the last thing I buy in my setup. I still want an RGB NES and MVS first to finish all the consoles. Right now it just takes a second for me to switch cables so its not a necessity,but its damn cool.
Damn you're on a roll!

If you're using an OSSC -- as is the topic at hand -- all set ups that take 480p will take 480p via RGsB. Additionally, it only takes a regular old scart cable. I don't understand your point.

I haven't been following the OSSC thing recently, is it better than the Framemeister in all aspects now? I have been really happy with the Framemeister.

I haven't been following the OSSC thing recently, is it better than the Framemeister in all aspects now? I have been really happy with the Framemeister.
No. the framemeister offers better deinterlacing and a plethora of features that the OSSC lacks due to the low lag, framebufferless, design. It offers certain features that appeal to a large number of people in a higher quality package than the framemeister. they're very different devices, as far as upscalers go, however.

Anyone who owns RetroGamingCable's SNES cables ever had this issue?

One of the scarts give off a really bad signal for SNES that only goes away when I take remove and reinsert the plug

On the other hand plugging in the other gives off a great picture, and it only applies to the SNES, my N64 has no issues when feeding into either wire

Both were bought the same day and kept in good condition, it's only now that the problem's rose up

No. the framemeister offers better deinterlacing and a plethora of features that the OSSC lacks due to the low lag, framebufferless, design. It offers certain features that appeal to a large number of people in a higher quality package than the framemeister. they're very different devices, as far as upscalers go, however.

Well I just rebought the Framemeister (after trying to go CRT only for a time) to play everything from NES up to 6th gen on my 1080p plasma, and I hadn't really considered the OSSC. Should I have? When I first looked at it over a year ago, it seemed a lot of trouble to even get set up compared to the Framemeister. I've also have never noticed the lag with it, but I also haven't played anything super fast or a rhythm game yet on it either.

Well I just rebought the Framemeister (after trying to go CRT only for a time) to play everything from NES up to 6th gen on my 1080p plasma, and I hadn't really considered the OSSC. Should I have? When I first looked at it over a year ago, it seemed a lot of trouble to even get set up compared to the Framemeister. I've also have never noticed the lag with it, but I also haven't played anything super fast or a rhythm game yet on it either.
if you're not fussed about lag, then I think the framemeister is generally a better device. The OSSC is the way to go if you really care about lag and have a compatible display or you have specific needs that the framemeister doesn't fill like the RGsB compatibility mentioned before or 240p/480i pass through. Or if you really want to use 480p consoles with as sharp a picture as possible. Generally 480p is fine straight in to a TV, but if you're on a monitor like me, it might also suit your needs.

if you're not fussed about lag, then I think the framemeister is generally a better device. The OSSC is the way to go if you really care about lag and have a compatible display or you have specific needs that the framemeister doesn't fill like the RGsB compatibility mentioned before or 240p/480i pass through. Or if you really want to use 480p consoles with as sharp a picture as possible. Generally 480p is fine straight in to a TV, but if you're on a monitor like me, it might also suit your needs.

Compatible as in DVI input? If I really really cared about input lag, I would just use a CRT. I still have a little monitor.

Compatible as in DVI input? If I really really cared about input lag, I would just use a CRT. I still have a little monitor.

no. compatibility is how willing your TV/monitor is to accept an off-spec signal. comptuer monitors tend to be very compatible, TVs are hit or miss but better than they once were.

Well shit. My eBay receipt also says I have a boosted sync Genesis cable. I've been using it for 4 years :/

Apparently I also have a boosted sync Euroscart to XRGB mini adapter. Do I need to worry about that too?

I believe anything with boosted sync is going to be shooting the voltage up too high. RetroRGB put up a way to test your cables (without them being plugged in) to see if they were too high. If you youtube RetroRGB it's going to be one of his recent videos.

Vespa

I use a SNES controller on the NES. I am all about that adapter life.

Which adapter are you using, Emi? I've just got an AV Famicom last week and find the d-pad on the 'dog bone' controller a little stiff.

Also, is it safe to use those NES carts to Famicom adapters on eBay? With all this 3.3v/5v mismatch talk going on with flash carts I've become slightly paranoid.

To throw some more fuel on the debate about the ps2's component quality I mentioned it being poor based on what I've heard and was put straight by Fudoh.

Fudoh said:
Me said:
Ps2's ypbpr has ghosting and from what I've read on here is generally considered poor

definitely no. I consider it among the best signals on ANY console system with analogue video ouputs. Compared to RGB from the same system it got a little more picture noise, but I would be surprised if that shows up on any CRT. It usually just bothers video processors without any kind of active low pass filter.

I mentioned ghosting but later realised it was my poor 3rd party cable.

To throw some more fuel on the debate about the ps2's component quality I mentioned it being poor based on what I've heard and was put straight by Fudoh.

I find, generally speaking, fudoh seems less bothered by this than many others. Not sure if it's because it varies by unit or something, but he's pretty consistently said it's a minor thing and other have pretty consistently said it's significant. Sure would be nice if I could remember usernames but :shrug:

I opened up my Genesis 1 SCART from retro_console_accessories, took some pics, sent them to her, and sure enough she told me to send it back to have the attenuator switched out. I bought it in 2015. FYI

PS2 has always looked rock solid over component for me, using the official PS3 component cable. I've never understood how the negative stigma around it got started.

Justinh

If someone makes an NES sticker to go over the front it could look better.
I wonder if you'd be able to take it apart, take out the turbo buttons and just slap the vinyl-y sticker off a regular controller over it. I think the Dpad and the buttons line up. Someone asked if they'd be able to shove the wireless controller's guts in an OEM shell and he said you'd probably have to "mill out the back to fit the battery" or something like that and the buttons should line up fine.
It reminds me of the Max
Yeah, with those handles... totally. The max I think is much smaller than what this is going to be, so I think the retrozone controller will be more comfortable to hold. I was just holding the MAX earlier today (while giving it the stink eye), I really don't like how small it is and the layout, although I guess probably all video game thingies were made for "youngerns" back then.
I'm coming around to the design. The images in this post show why. NES controllers were always boxy, and the extra real estate here just seems like it might just give you a little more grip without massively changing the fundamental feel of the OG controller. It's the lack of any color that makes it look really cheap, or like a prototype. And the buttons look just slightly off ... but they might feel just fine.
It's actually growing on me too. I was thinking about how I hold my controller while playing Super C earlier vs. how I would "naturally" hold it. Like, if I were to hold it just to hold it or while playing Dragon Warrior or something, it'd look like that pic I posted with the gaps between the controller and my palms. When I play Super C though, my hands are pressed up against the sides of the controller from being tense, making them parallel to each other. I'm guessing that's not good for my wrists.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What's the absolute best way to play Dreamcast games with a DC controller on a modern, 4K TV?

Through a Framemeister?

What's the absolute best way to play Dreamcast games with a DC controller on a modern, 4K TV?

Through a Framemeister?

I'm doing it right now via VGA to OSSC to my KS8000, which supports the X2 480p output, and it looks really good.

I believe BeharBros are making an adapter that outputs HDMI, so that may be a better option if you don't already have an OSSC or Framemeister or some other scaler-majig.

televator

I have never owned a dreamcast, but what res are most of the games? OSSC might not be necessary depending on your TV, I imagine.

It's not the resolution that gets you, its that VGA cable. Most modern HDTVs don't have VGA. You could just get a cheap converter, but I don't trust them in a conversation about "best way" anything.

Okay, that's what I figured.
It's not the resolution that gets you, its that VGA cable. Most modern HDTVs don't have VGA. You could just get a cheap converter, but I don't trust them in a conversation about "best way" anything.
Even a decent converter shouldn't be too much. Just throwing it out there since if all you care about is the one console, an OSSC is kinda overkill.

televator

Okay, that's what I figured.

Even a decent converter shouldn't be too much. Just throwing it out there since if all you care about is the one console, an OSSC is kinda overkill.

Well that would be decent or pretty good. :p I also mentioned the Akura which could potentially match the quality of the OSSC for less money.

Peltz

Oh my bad, I completely blanked that that's the HDMI one. I forgot that was even a thing.

I'm sure it's a great option. Anyone here ever use it?

By the way, =isn't someone also making a component cable for DC? That might be a nice cost effective solution if you want to be able to play on both CRT and fixed pixel for the rare 240p games.

By the way, =isn't someone also making a component cable for DC? That might be a nice cost effective solution if you want to be able to play on both CRT and fixed pixel for the rare 240p games.

HDRetrovision's making component cables for the Dreamcast, so that's something to look foward to

I'm sure it's a great option. Anyone here ever use it?

I believe it was delayed because or a bad part. Their website says it will be available mid-August.

I use the Toro, and aside from the cable connecting the box to the Dreamcast AV output breaking for literally no reason, it has worked fantastic for me.

Definitely going to scoop an Akura, though, it would be extremely convenient to have on hand.

Peltz

I believe it was delayed because or a bad part. Their website says it will be available mid-August.

I use the Toro, and aside from the cable connecting the box to the Dreamcast AV output breaking for literally no reason, it has worked fantastic for me.

Definitely going to scoop an Akura, though, it would be extremely convenient to have on hand.

My Toro broke in exactly the same way. You really have to be gentle with some of these homemade products. Even light use can break them.

My Toro broke in exactly the same way. You really have to be gentle with some of these homemade products. Even light use can break them.

Yeah, the replacement cable was shipped fast and free, but it makes the worst sound when move the box at all with it connected to the Dreamcast, a sort-of cracking sound. Stuff if nightmares.

Still, a good product that works great!

Since I sold my OSSC while waiting for the 1.6 version to get here, I got a generic scart to hdmi scaler off of Amazon and... it's pretty good at 1080p FWIW.

Aside from 240p interpereted as 480i and stretched to 16:9 by default, there's minimal sharpening artifacts and half a frame less input lag than line3x OSSC. Though that turned out to be the Samsung I own doing the extra lag when scaling 720p to 1080p, and obviously not the OSSC's fault

Got a hopefully "simple" question about the Framemeisters. I went to the link in the OP to Solaris Japan's store here: https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft

So I recently got my SNES and N64 back from my parents house and I only have a Panny Plasma to play it on. As a US owner, which one of those Framemeister's should I get? There seems to be 4 different ones, with 2 different adapters(JP21 Scart and EUR Scart).

Which one should I be looking at?

Got a hopefully "simple" question about the Framemeisters. I went to the link in the OP to Solaris Japan's store here: https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft

So I recently got my SNES and N64 back from my parents house and I only have a Panny Plasma to play it on. As a US owner, which one of those Framemeister's should I get? There seems to be 4 different ones, with 2 different adapters(JP21 Scart and EUR Scart).

Which one should I be looking at?

The one with EUR Scart and no mention of EU Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom