• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Actually never heard of Retroarch before. And it's more about the shader. It's the first time ever for me to program one.

Increased the brightness and added glow to the shader:

Looks better, but it's still way too sharp. Go download Retroarch and take a look at its shaders. You can edit them per pass, so you could start with something like crt-royale and work backwards to get the effect you want out of your own shader.

Haemi

Looks better, but it's still way too sharp. Go download Retroarch and take a look at its shaders. You can edit them per pass, so you could start with something like crt-royale and work backwards to get the effect you want out of your own shader.

The fun part is doing my own shader and not modifying other people stuff.

But i downloaded Retroarch and the bsnes core.

Just added my own simple AA-shader and left everything else like it was. I'm now mostly happy with the results.

"A link to the past" on retroarch with bsnes core. Left side without AA-shader, right side with:

zelda12vjcw.png

SCB3

I will never understand the purpose of CRT Shaders/filters, I love have a HD clear, hi-res image and 60fps on my games, especially on older games

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I will never understand the purpose of CRT Shaders/filters, I love have a HD clear, hi-res image and 60fps on my games, especially on older games

some games were designed with scanlines and CRT type blur/glow in mind and there are as a result visual effects that only work on modern displays through CRT emulation.

This type of conversation has been done to death so I won't go to deep but this is a great example image.

alien_crt_off_by_aloooo81-dab8vci.jpg
alien_crt_on_by_aloooo81-dab8vc8.jpg

^ Nice

I like it Haemi, but it's just that there are tons of alternatives right now : CRT Easymode, CRT Royale... But if that got you into shader programming then that's an incredibly good start I have to say

rei1hpsdm.jpg

rei2q2sz9.jpg

rei3qostd.jpg

Yeah this time Reicast is used because it behaves a bit better than Demul and provides a semi-stable depth buffer to inject SSAO with Reshade.
Only problem is that the Reicast Windows build is *terribly* bare bones and can't even go higher than 720p ( I checked the source-code and it is hardcoded :| ) so there is no room for downsampling fun.
And yeah there *is* a Reicast core for Retroarch that supports arbitrary resolutions and is quite a bit better *but* Reshade fails to work with it :|

petran79

Banned
Sonic Colours - Dolphin, max settings at 1080p

colorsatspe.jpg

It seems that despite the inferior hardware, Wii version is much more polished than Sonic Generations.
Just for reference, a screenshot of the PC version

generationslgsey.jpg

Mario Tennis - Gamecube

ses75.jpg

Sega Superstars Tennis - PCSX2 - 8x res, though it runs better at 6x

segatennis7msau.jpg

^ Nice

I like it Haemi, but it's just that there are tons of alternatives right now : CRT Easymode, CRT Royale... But if that got you into shader programming then that's an incredibly good start I have to say

https://abload.de/img/rei1hpsdm.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/rei2q2sz9.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/rei3qostd.jpg[IMG]

Yeah this time Reicast is used because it behaves a bit better than Demul and provides a semi-stable depth buffer to inject SSAO with Reshade.
Only problem is that the Reicast Windows build is *terribly* bare bones and can't even go higher than 720p ( I checked the source-code and it is hardcoded :| ) so there is no room for downsampling fun.
And yeah there *is* a Reicast core for Retroarch that supports arbitrary resolutions and is quite a bit better *but* Reshade fails to work with it :|[/QUOTE]

DOA2 can still impress 16 years later!

I remember folks were conjecturing it was running on 2 Naomis in tandem cuz the graphics were so good.

petran79

Banned
Soul Eater Battle Resonance was released in 2009 by Bandai Namco and developed by Bec for the PS2 and PSP. Another attempt to make a 2.5D fighting game, along with Battle Fantasia and SFIV, though not as polished.

Animation and gameplay are rudimentary.Characters dont even have a crouch option.Some GFX special moves resemble the anime. Voice acting is very well done, featuring the original voice actors

Here the enhanced gfx by PCSX2

125epb6z.png

clipboard03uba9m.png

Painguy

Tried Ishiiruka. Had interesting results. Not really supposed to look nice, but it is interesting. Lots of cool features. It's too bad i only have my laptop atm. SSAO and SSGI made things meh performance wise.

EVH

Tried Ishiiruka. Had interesting results. Not really supposed to look nice, but it is interesting. Lots of cool features. It's too bad i only have my laptop atm. SSAO and SSGI made things meh performance wise.

I'm playing Prime too atm and its amazing how good this game looks with some res upscale. Is this trilogy what you are playing?

I'm playing with the NGC version but thibking about going for the Trilogy as that way I can have 16:9 and wiimote emulation with the 360 controller without the old NGC prime controls.

Painguy

I'm playing Prime too atm and its amazing how good this game looks with some res upscale. Is this trilogy what you are playing?

I'm playing with the NGC version but thibking about going for the Trilogy as that way I can have 16:9 and wiimote emulation with the 360 controller without the old NGC prime controls.
It's the original version. I thought about getting the trilogy version, but I already own all three and there were a few effects removed in the Trilogy version that I really liked.

yodaxy

Nice shots ! But I think the DOF should always be on the gun and the far background, so it seems the effect is a little too random.

Is It tweakabke ? I'd love to replay MP with these settings.

EVH

It's the original version. I thought about getting the trilogy version, but I already own all three and there were a few effects removed in the Trilogy version that I really liked.

What effects are those?

I'm having a blast playing this game again. Truly a piece of art.

What effects are those?

I'm having a blast playing this game again. Truly a piece of art.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences

Under Changes made to the Wii versions:

• Particle effects on the Charge Beam, frost forming on the Ice Beam, and water ripple effects were removed.
You can see the difference in this video.

These are very cool effects, and it is disappointing that the Trilogy omits them for some unexplained reason, but I think the fact that you had to even ask illustrates that most people won't even notice until they're pointed out, or put back-to-back. The new pointer controls more than make up for it to me. There's really no definitive release for Metroid Prime whether you're looking at GCN NTSC, PAL or Wii Trilogy, they all have little differences that will appeal more to different people.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm legitimately surprised we haven't seen shots from any of these new emulators like. Cemu, Citra, or the PS3/360 emulators that are out.

Painguy

I'm legitimately surprised we haven't seen shots from any of these new emulators like. Cemu, Citra, or the PS3/360 emulators that are out.

I'm personally waiting till they become more stable. I really want to play a lot of 3ds games in HD but from what I can tell its still a bit iffy.

Also more dolphin shots. Just finished Paper Mario 64 so I started TTYD. It's been over a decade since I played either. TTYD texture work is much cleaner than I remember it (to be fair at the time I had a tiny tube tv lol). Added some filters and Ishiiruka stuff(Bloom, DOF, SSGI, SSAO, etc) and it looks pretty dope now. There are a few compression artifacts on textures, but oh well. This game actually runs fine on my laptop. Going from PPM 64 to this game was interesting especially cuz of the FPS bump from 30 to 60.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm personally waiting till they become more stable. I really want to play a lot of 3ds games in HD but from what I can tell its still a bit iffy.

Also more dolphin shots. Just finished Paper Mario 64 so I started TTYD. It's been over a decade since I played either. TTYD texture work is much cleaner than I remember it (to be fair at the time I had a tiny tube tv lol). Added some filters and Ishiiruka stuff(Bloom, DOF, SSGI, SSAO, etc) and it looks pretty dope now. There are a few compression artifacts on textures, but oh well. This game actually runs fine on my laptop. Going from PPM 64 to this game was interesting especially cuz of the FPS bump from 30 to 60.

The bloom looks just slightly overblown but otherwise it is gorgeous

EVH

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences

Under Changes made to the Wii versions:

• Particle effects on the Charge Beam, frost forming on the Ice Beam, and water ripple effects were removed.
You can see the difference in this video.

These are very cool effects, and it is disappointing that the Trilogy omits them for some unexplained reason, but I think the fact that you had to even ask illustrates that most people won't even notice until they're pointed out, or put back-to-back. The new pointer controls more than make up for it to me. There's really no definitive release for Metroid Prime whether you're looking at GCN NTSC, PAL or Wii Trilogy, they all have little differences that will appeal more to different people.

Thanks. I'm one of those who love and almost every time I find water or lava, take a look at the ripple efects just because they are so rare in games even nowadays, lol.

Still, I wonder if I would be able to emulate the Wiimote with a 360 controller. I guess I can emulate the pointer with the right stick, but what about the "whip" movement you need for the grapple beam, for example? Anybody tried?

Nerrel

I just discovered that the current version of Reshade can easily add ambient occlusion (+ indirect lighting), bokeh depth of field, and other effects into openGL plugins like GlideN64 (in Project64) if you just disable framebuffer emulation. You lose AA/AF and some cutscenes go black, but you can add SMAA back in with Reshade. This is on top of the bloom lighting GlideN64 provides, which I think looks great when used lightly.

31265948535_74d690a7c9_o.jpg

30505003794_31a2281cd2_o.jpg

31121705832_7bbfb3ba93_o.jpg

Here are some comparisons/extra shots. The depth of field mainly helps the starfields look nice, since they're big, obvious pixels otherwise. The ambient occlusion also seems really appropriate for this game's look, especially in the mask salesman's room in the clock tower. There are some kinks to iron out, but so far I'm really pleased.
Gear room-Effects ON
Effects OFF

Sewer-Effects ON
Effects OFF

Snowhead-Effects ON

Effects OFF

Rainbow stairs- ON
Effects OFF

Second day- ON
Effects OFF

These are very cool effects, and it is disappointing that the Trilogy omits them for some unexplained reason

They did explain it- the effects were originally static on the screen and not tied to the arm cannon. The arm cannon was "locked" to the camera in the original and never changed position on screen, so they could get away with just sticking the effects on top of that spot. With the wii remote, the arm cannon moves all over and the effects wouldn't have followed, so it would have been ridiculous looking. It would have been nice if they re-implemented the effects, but maybe they didn't have time. Prime 1 is the only game that had these effects removed, Echoes programmed the effects the right way and they move with the arm cannon, so they remain intact.

They did explain it- the effects were originally static on the screen and not tied to the arm cannon. The arm cannon was "locked" to the camera in the original and never changed position on screen, so they could get away with just sticking the effects on top of that spot. With the wii remote, the arm cannon moves all over and the effects wouldn't have followed, so it would have been ridiculous looking. It would have been nice if they re-implemented the effects, but maybe they didn't have time. Prime 1 is the only game that had these effects removed, Echoes programmed the effects the right way and they move with the arm cannon, so they remain intact.
That's interesting. Doesn't explain the lack of water ripples though.

Nerrel

I started a texture pack for Majora's Mask intending only to do the text and interfaces, and somehow I'm now 416 textures deep in this shit. This is Project64/GlideN64 with hardware lighting (PPL) + Reshade for ambient occlusion:
project642016-12-1105t8s7r.png

I much prefer the old moon to the 3DS one, polygons be damned. Here are the original textures for comparison:
project642016-12-110549st4.png

project642016-12-1106xcs77.png

I've been trying to stay faithful to the original style using photos and concept art from google along with textures redrawn from scratch, hopefully it looks halfway decent.

I found that forcing FXAA through the video card cleans up the image dramatically.

dsOBBQj.png

Even without a resolution bump, that AA makes a huge difference. Between that and the anisotropic filtering comparison posted a while back, MK8 should be a major improvement once Cemu is mature.

bomblord1

Banned
I started a texture pack for Majora's Mask intending only to do the text and interfaces, and somehow I'm now 416 textures deep in this shit. This is Project64/GlideN64 with hardware lighting (PPL) + Reshade for ambient occlusion:

I much prefer the old moon to the 3DS one, polygons be damned. Here are the original textures for comparison:

I've been trying to stay faithful to the original style using photos and concept art from google along with textures redrawn from scratch, hopefully it looks halfway decent.

Nice! looks great.

I found that forcing FXAA through the video card cleans up the image dramatically.

dsOBBQj.png

I just discovered the wonderful world of WiiU emulation. Idk how they got MK8 working flawlessly so quickly but I'm not complaining lol. Can't change the resolution yet tho.

Yes finally people are doing it! Love it I absolutely love it.

1morerobot

Even without a resolution bump, that AA makes a huge difference. Between that and the anisotropic filtering comparison posted a while back, MK8 should be a major improvement once Cemu is mature.

That moon looks awesome.

This is really cool! Are you going to keep going? You should consider starting a thread for it!

Nerrel

Nice! looks great.

That moon looks awesome.

This is really cool! Are you going to keep going? You should consider starting a thread for it!

Thank you all for the feedback. Maybe I'll start a thread when the pack is a little more substantial. It's coming along pretty well now.

Here are some more shots, again project 64 2.3 + GlideN64 (current release candidate build):
project642017-01-2022yuu2e.png

project642016-12-15063cu1x.png

project642017-01-20231ouao.png

Old treeline here.

Top Bottom