• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

jediyoshi

People are starting to compile the shader caches on Reddit, that'll mean we are getting very close to butter smooth emulation.

R/cemucaches

They really need to implement shader pre-caching in Cemu. I guess at this early stage it's still a pretty low priority though.

I got Cemu to work fine on my machine (5820K, 1080) but I'm not a Patreon backer so I have to wait another 3 days to see how 4K will perform.

Datschge

They really need to implement shader pre-caching in Cemu.
Sharing the shader cache is essentially that. Pre-caching shaders within the emulator is not feasible unless you consider a bot playing the game for you trying to reach all situations in the game that may come with a shader not yet cached feasible.

jediyoshi

They really need to implement shader pre-caching in Cemu. I guess at this early stage it's still a pretty low priority though.

That's what the current system they just implemented does. On launch, if you have the transferable cache and haven't run it yet, they compile before the game launches.

LilJoka

I got Cemu to work fine on my machine (5820K, 1080) but I'm not a Patreon backer so I have to wait another 3 days to see how 4K will perform.

Yeah that would be perfect.
This way is pretty good too though. It took a while to get dolphin and it's Async approach, which is by no means perfect.

I think Cemu priority is still accuracy at this stage. That should help more games to boot.

That's what the current system they just implemented does. On launch, if you have the transferable cache and haven't run it yet, they compile before the game launches.

I think he meant it looks through the game and generates a full cache before your first play.

jediyoshi

I think he meant it looks through the game and generates a full cache before your first play.

This is not possible. The emulator can't know what to generate until the game specifically tells it something. It's like a teacher trying to cache a student's questions.

Let's say a game wont work, like Devil's Third.. Will general work on the Emulator make it work eventually, or do the devs need to go in manually and work on each game?

Let's say a game wont work, like Devil's Third.. Will general work on the Emulator make it work eventually, or do the devs need to go in manually and work on each game?

I'd like to know this too. Thinking of getting rid of the Wii U but keeping a few games like #FE and Bayo.

According to that compatibility list I think the only game that I'm interested in playing that can't be completed is #FE. It's basically the only reason keeping me from trading the wii u into gamestop.

Usually the first, but sometimes games use a specific hardware trick, so that needs then be implemented just to make that one game work

Ideally you want them to initially do general fixes because they can get many games really running correctly and then later down the line focus on game specific fixes.
You don't want a N64 situation where emulators were made to play Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye quickly through workarounds and then became a bitch and a half to get anything else running.

Flandy

ej5wMP6.png

The power of 4k

This is amazing. Would love to see a graph from before the Switch conference and after considering how many people here are saying they'll go the CEMU route for BoTW

LilJoka

This is not possible. The emulator can't know what to generate until the game specifically tells it something. It's like a teacher trying to cache a student's questions.

Sure it's not possible or just difficult? Technically all the seed info is in the disk content. Maybe it can be used with some operations to generate the shaders? I'm not a dev here so just throwing it out there.
It's like the teacher having the brains of it's students in hand ;)

jediyoshi

Sure it's not possible or just difficult? Technically all the seed info is in the disk content. Maybe it can be used with some operations to generate the shaders? I'm not a dev here so just throwing it out there.
It's like the teacher having the brains of it's students in hand ;)

It's not. It's not like pulling baked textures and meshes out and calling it a day, it's contingent on the game actively running, telling the emulator what to do. The only difference between that request and what the new feature is is that the end user needs to look up someone's transferable cache (which is essentially a recorded listing of that game's shader commands to the emulator).

How do you change the internal rendering resolution? I can't find any settings for the graphics.

Options -> Graphic packs

Erebus

It's not. It's not like pulling baked textures and meshes out and calling it a day, it's contingent on the game actively running, telling the emulator what to do. The only difference between that request and what the new feature is is that the end user needs to look up someone's transferable cache (which is essentially a recorded listing of that game's shader commands to the emulator).

Options -> Graphic packs
Ouch, tried it and Mario Kart 8 is painfully slow at 1080 for me, it runs at around 20fps.

I'm curious, do you guys get a stable 60fps in that game?

Chris R

Does one need to somehow get the additional Xenoblade download files to properly play the game? You know, the ones you could download to improve load times and all that jazz?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I suppose there isn't just some "test" mode? I'm too old to hunt for roms (or whatever it is nowadays) and too dumb to turn my WiiU games into ones. But I'm curious if this thing would work on my PC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does one need to somehow get the additional Xenoblade download files to properly play the game? You know, the ones you could download to improve load times and all that jazz?

Considering that now you run everything from HDD that would be of no use. The graphic patches were just copying some data onto Wii U's storage for faster loading.

jediyoshi

Well should in theory he able to download complete caches.

Which is then the equivalent to the student just writing their questions and handing it directly to the teacher. Specifically the 'automated process' people are looking for couldn't be a thing.

Justinh

Can I run games right off the disk with this? I'm tempted to see how Bayo 2 runs on my PC.

I was apprehensive in learning how to dump my games for Dolphin, but it was a pretty easy process (although I think it took a while if I remember right). I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm going to have to look into dumping my games tomorrow.

I was wondering this in another thread, but has there been any success in swapping things like voice tracks in CEMU yet? If or rather presumably when Zelda doesn't come with dual audio, I'd really like to be able to listen to the JPN audio (and maybe others) over the ENG track.

Vuze

I was wondering this in another thread, but has there been any success in swapping things like voice tracks in CEMU yet? If or rather presumably when Zelda doesn't come with dual audio, I'd really like to be able to listen to the JPN audio (and maybe others) over the ENG track.
Nothing to do with Cemu in particular. Depending on the games file/name structure and coding it might be super easy to swap, longer audio files than the OG language may be cut off etc. You'll have to wait for the release but safe to say it's not impossible and yes, modded games work with Cemu.

Dmax3901

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get Xenoblade X to run in 1080 no matter what. Also the intro movie is super choppy.

This is pretty amazing. As a Wii U owner, I'd love to play the games with a resolution boost

This is amazing. Would love to see a graph from before the Switch conference and after considering how many people here are saying they'll go the CEMU route for BoTW

Nintendo can't be happy about this lol

Schlomo

People expecting to play BotW on Cemu any time soon are very optimistic. If we're lucky we'll get some pretty screenshots out of it, but considering how taxing for real Wii U hardware it seems to be I can't see it being playable in an enjoyable fashion within the next one or two years. I'd love to be wrong of course, playing Skyward Sword in 1080p on release was awesome.

LilJoka

People expecting to play BotW on Cemu any time soon are very optimistic. If we're lucky we'll get some pretty screenshots out of it, but considering how taxing for real Wii U hardware it seems to be I can't see it being playable in an enjoyable fashion within the next one or two years. I'd love to be wrong of course, playing Skyward Sword in 1080p on release was awesome.

Have you even tried Cemu? I think you are far from close to giving an accurate prediction based on current performance with a decent PC.

23qwerty

Is there any reason to believe it won't play well? Especially considering how far away it is and the amount of progress being made on the emulator?

Mivey

Is there any reason to believe it won't play well? Especially considering how far away it is and the amount of progress being made on the emulator?
It's just guess work either way. I would expect a few rendering glitches either way, but how should anyone know how it performs on it?

Codiox

Anyone got donkey Kong tropical freeze to work?

I got a weird screen bug wenn the game starts, at first I thought my GPU was dying.

23qwerty

It's just guess work either way. I would expect a few rendering glitches either way, but how should anyone know how it performs on it?

It's just a bit silly to say "people expecting to play BotW on it are optimistic" when most games work well so far and the game is still two months away giving the emulator plenty of time to mature given how fast its progressed so far

LilJoka

The reason that we should be optimistic is because Cemu is not emulating each game with per game hacks. It is doing an accurate job of reverse engineering the Wii u itself. I would expect timelines of a few weeks to months at worst.

Schlomo

OK, maybe I'm just trying to temper my expectations so I won't be too disappointed. I was just going off expressions and videos, but I'll try ripping some games now to judge it myself.

MUnited83

For you.

I think it will be pretty playable in 2 to 3 months after release.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Think about it. There won't be a better word of mouth for CEMU than making BotW work close to the release. The devs will prioritise that.

And with so many games working already and the other Zelda games running well I don't really see a case for why BotW should have issues?

Top Bottom