• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inktober 2017 |OT| Digital Artists Welcome

Pehesse

New day, new ABC heroine: G for Gobbet.

11_by_pehesse-dbqy018.png

Diamond

Clothespin, art for Inktober 10/16/2017, about 45 minutes.

With 16 entries, I'm over halfway done. I think I can finish this challenge, though I feel like I'm running out of real life things to draw. :p

Here is my self-assessment halfway through:
  • Curved lines are the hardest things in the world to draw. Straight lines are the other.
  • I still struggle a lot with perspective and proportions, even though I am trying to train myself to draw what my eye sees.
  • I feel like my eye for colors and shading is sort of decent, and even though these drawings are simplistic I enjoy adding the colors to make them more pleasing to the eye.

Concerning digital curved lines, I also struggle a lot with them compared on paper. I don't know what you're using but I draw with a Wacom tablet and the fact that I'm not looking at my hand when I draw is still very unnatural and makes me make mistakes I wouldn't do normally. You have to deal with that problem unless you're rich and have an Intuos.

I often use the paths option (in Gimp, don't know if it's called the same in Clip Studio Paint) when I don't manage to hit the curves I want by hand. Maybe it could be interesting to use for you.

Also, when Inktober is over, train a bit on paper. You'll probably find it easier.

Blizzard

Banned
Concerning digital curved lines, I also struggle a lot with them compared on paper. I don't know what you're using but I draw with a Wacom tablet and the fact that I'm not looking at my hand when I draw is still very unnatural and makes me make mistakes I wouldn't do normally. You have to deal with that problem unless you're rich and have an Intuos.

I often use the paths option (in Gimp, don't know if it's called the same in Clip Studio Paint) when I don't manage to hit the curves I want by hand. Maybe it could be interesting to use for you.

Also, when Inktober is over, train a bit on paper. You'll probably find it easier.
I think Clip Studio Paint has a bunch of vector functionality that's similar to the paths you're talking about. I just haven't bothered since I feel like it's cheating and I'm trying to train my hand right now. :p

I'm definitely going back to pencil and paper once Inktober is done. Thanks for the comments, I feed on comment energy to fuel my month.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Forgot to post this yesterday: Inktober Day 17: The Black Panther.

He was in my list to draw this month, but after that hot trailer dropped on Monday, I expedited my plans and threw this together real quick last night.

Blizzard

Banned
As a followup on my Clip Studio Paint question, it seems the only way to live-preview colors is to fill with a color that is close to what you want, then select the regions you want (e.g. use 'W' for smart select, multiple regions if desired), and then use the Ctrl-U hue/saturation/value adjustment to tune the color with preview. I think I can live with that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As a followup on my Clip Studio Paint question, it seems the only way to live-preview colors is to fill with a color that is close to what you want, then select the regions you want (e.g. use 'W' for smart select, multiple regions if desired), and then use the Ctrl-U hue/saturation/value adjustment to tune the color with preview. I think I can live with that.

I do my coloring in Photoshop, so I'm not terribly familiar with how CSP handles coloring. I just do my penciling, inking, and lettering in CSP. I'll eventually look into coloring with CSP, just to save me the trouble of exporting to Photoshop to color, but I'm so used to coloring in Photoshop that I'm in no hurry.

Blizzard

Banned
I do my coloring in Photoshop, so I'm not terribly familiar with how CSP handles coloring. I just do my penciling, inking, and lettering in CSP. I'll eventually look into coloring with CSP, just to save me the trouble of exporting to Photoshop to color, but I'm so used to coloring in Photoshop that I'm in no hurry.
I've only briefly looked at tutorials and user manuals, but it appears that CSP has some pretty powerful tools for filling in small gaps efficiently. It's probably worth checking out eventually.

As for general techniques, the big ones I saw were A) using the fill tools and adjusting as needed, and B) creating a fill layer that's basically a solid color but automatically masked to fit a selection, so you can very quickly change the color of all those areas simultaneously. e.g. you have a leopard painting and you want to change the color of all the spots.

There are probably other cool coloring techniques too.

Blizzard

Banned
A friend said that I should draw a peculiar gourd or pumpkin that looks like a pacman ghost. I don't know the name of the gourd, but they showed me a picture of it. OK, I figured that gave me a theme for the day, I would draw from the picture, and I was making good time by the time I got sketch lines together.

Then I somehow went completely insane and my picture took on a life of its own. I ended up trying to be artsy with the framing, I was doing certain pen lines quickly and confidently without stressing over whether it was possible for me to do them or whether they were perfect. My ink lines started following sketch lines fairly closely. It was a weird experience. Also I know that all true artists love gradients, so I threw in GRADIENTS GALORE to impress you all. Much color, such wow.

Pumpkins and gourd from a photograph, art for Inktober 10/18/2017, about 2.5 hours.

Platy

XeAFnAE.png

"That is an animatronic....
It is him that I am afraid..."

gmUi463.png

---------

3D Zelda Tip : The battle only begins when the boss name appears on the screen

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Wanted to take the new Photoshop brushes in 2018 out for a spin to I colored the Sakamoto drawing from a few days ago. Pretty happy with the watercolors in particular!

tumblr_oy5bp1Fh7w1qed0geo1_540.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I found out why even my artist friend didn't have a word to say about my pumpkin picture: She REALLY hates gradients. I know all artists hate them, but I didn't realize it truly ran so deep. :p

Platy

GcP2Zrg.png

"Didn't expected 2 people in here..."
"..My toy shall have lots of fun..."

a9rmv0G.png

yTKN91o.png

-----------
2 things :

1) I deeply regret my choices of speech bubble reference and I love Todd Klein's work even more
2) Sad that the last panel was rushed because the speech bubble took way more time than I expected .... could not pass all the "mix of rusty animatronic with organic parts" feel I wanted =(

Is that a fictional or famous house? I feel like I've seen pictures of it but it could just be similar.

No, I don't think it's famous. It's mostly based off one house, although maybe not exactly. If you do a image search for "Victorian home" or "Victorian house" you'll see what I was using. I've saved a bunch of interesting homes for a few more, because I felt like practicing structures and perspective, and these are more fun to look at and draw.

Edit:

I can't find the photo I used, because I sometimes print off a bunch of reference images I find online while I'm at work. This is the one I used:

Top Bottom