• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inktober 2017 |OT| Digital Artists Welcome

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Day 11: More Persona 5!

Haru Okumura, a.k.a. Noir:

tumblr_oxp6p1Sg181tdh40xo1_1280.jpg

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel like this is my worst one yet. It's a weird feeling to think I'm getting WORSE.

Entry for 10/12/2017, ukulele. About 35 minutes.

Post-mortem, trying to consider without overthinking:
  • Unlike most things I've drawn that can sit on my desk, this was sitting on the floor to my right. It was really challenging for me to draw something that was slanted while also looking down and to the right compared to my drawing surface. I realized after I had sketched the whole thing that my sketched version wasn't exactly the same orientation as the real one, but I just tried to make things internally consistent and ink from there. I ran over my 30 minutes goal by a bit (I'm not aiming for speed for artistic reasons, but for scheduling reasons).
  • I did mess with pen settings part of the way through, but for whatever reason I feel like my lines were much more jagged and wavery than usual. Maybe I should have done a warmup first. Doing long straight parallel lines was also very tough.

It’s not you getting worse, it’s jist some drawing days are better than others! I tried to draw some stuff all weekend, and I hated every single piece I did. I finally drew my Rey and BB8 picture the other day, and I was back in my groove. Sometimes you just have those days where nothing seems to translate right from your brain to the paper.

The important thing is that you keep at it, but also never stop observing and studying the world around you, or artists you admire. It may not seem like you’re being productive when you spend a few days just absorbing information, but rest assured that your mind is cataloging all of that data for later use. Even if I don’t have my drawing tools or computer handy, I’m always mentally “drawing” the things I looking at. For example, if I’m looking at a tree, or a wall, or the ground, I’m thinking in my head what techniques I’d try to apply to render it.

People watching is my other favorite thing to do. Different facial shapes and body types, that sort of thing.

I definitely recommend breaking down your piece into shapes and forms, then “sculpting” them into the thing you’re trying to create.

Also, always draw when you’re comfortable. Sometimes I’ll draw in my bed, with my surface pro propped up on my knees, because it’s comfy, or I’ll sit at my desk and draw that way. Getting into the right mental and physical place to draw is paramount.

Jintor

blizzard, always remember that you're not looking at people's first drawings, you're looking at their 999999th drawing (or whatever)

do you know how many breads you've eaten in your life? it's like that, but for drawing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I feel like this is my worst one yet. It's a weird feeling to think I'm getting WORSE.

Entry for 10/12/2017, ukulele. About 35 minutes.

Post-mortem, trying to consider without overthinking:
  • Unlike most things I've drawn that can sit on my desk, this was sitting on the floor to my right. It was really challenging for me to draw something that was slanted while also looking down and to the right compared to my drawing surface. I realized after I had sketched the whole thing that my sketched version wasn't exactly the same orientation as the real one, but I just tried to make things internally consistent and ink from there. I ran over my 30 minutes goal by a bit (I'm not aiming for speed for artistic reasons, but for scheduling reasons).
  • I did mess with pen settings part of the way through, but for whatever reason I feel like my lines were much more jagged and wavery than usual. Maybe I should have done a warmup first. Doing long straight parallel lines was also very tough.

You are not getting worse, you are just doing new things, and thats a good thing.

Platy

Week One

8 day said:

9 said:

10 said:
8Y0TaZG.png

"Legend tells that every 100 years an evil appears and a hero is reborn to fight him"

11 said:
[100 years later]
QCZRYFB.png

"And SHE was stronger than Nabooru!"

J6N4ypx.png

kwJruVR.png
NzHncH8.png

"Ok, the book said "boy in green" and the only gerudo in it is a villain, but I am trying to make you sleep, Link...."

EbOsRxD.png

"Now sleep that tomorrow I will take you to the festival"

quick one because I was running out of time

Blizzard

Banned
Can someone please give me feedback ASAP if I need to make an original illustration instead? Instead of drawing something from real life today, I did a pen copy of a Mickey Mouse drawing, since I remembered I own The Illusion of Life animation book. The original drawing obviously isn't mine, but the copy was made freehand upside down for practice. I used a rough sketch style to try not to stress over the lines.

Reproduction of cartoon mouse drawing from The Illusion of Life, art for Inktober 10/13/2017, about 30 minutes.

2017_10_13p6s6d.png

Pehesse

Day 6 with a lesser known heroine (I think) for a game that's not out yet: Dandara!

Blizzard, I don't think you should stress about this too much! Draw what you feel works for you at the moment you are drawing - you're still learning, so adding additional stress and constraints will only make your task harder. You're doing a perfectly good job so far - if you feel you want to tackle original illustrations, by all means do so, but I don't think you oughta worry about referencing other images for now (though eventually it's probably best you move on, of course, but all things in context here!). It's more important to keep going and practice regularly, and if referencing stuff is the way to get you there, reference away, I'd say :-D

Gagaman

This is my first time joining in on Inktober and I'm really glad I have so far as I haven't been drawing much just for myself for ages, let alone hand inked stuff. Here's the first 12.

After the first few slightly wonky ink jobs and a couple rough days (6th is a tribute to my uncle who's funeral was that day after losing his battle to cancer) I feel like I've gotten back into the swing of things. Using Uni drawing fine line pens and some basic A5 Boldmere pad.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Can someone please give me feedback ASAP if I need to make an original illustration instead? Instead of drawing something from real life today, I did a pen copy of a Mickey Mouse drawing, since I remembered I own The Illusion of Life animation book. The original drawing obviously isn't mine, but the copy was made freehand upside down for practice. I used a rough sketch style to try not to stress over the lines.

Reproduction of cartoon mouse drawing from The Illusion of Life, art for Inktober 10/13/2017, about 30 minutes.

2017_10_13p6s6d.png

I copied stuff all the time when I started, hell, I still do when I try to learn from new artists.

You worry too much, its fine.

I wrapped some stuff up, I should be able to start drawing today!

Platy

b6lcX0j.png

"in the green festival they give the children the hero's clothes..."

N3rbQap.png

"but just the boys and just the hylian ones"

Raging Spaniard

Finally managed to find some time!

Straight inks this time, no pencils! Took about 45 minutes

DMFB24KVAAAY1yx.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks to all the kind comments encouraging me to keep going. :) I've discovered color is very bad for me. On one hand it's kind of addictive to play with color, but on the other hand I end up endlessly attempting to polish something silly and simple, taking an astounding amount of time.

Mahjong tiles for perspective practice, art for Inktober 10/14/2017, about 55 minutes.

Motherfucker back in this shit. Let's see how much I can get done today. Trying to do this shit faster for a change. It usually takes me a damn month to draw any muhfucking thang.

Ah I didn't realise there was a thread for this.

I'm not an artist but I wanted to get in practise doing something daily before Nanowrimo so thought I'd have a bit of fun and jump on this. Here are mine so far.

3qRKqm7.jpg

CddfoPn.jpg

nLZYGr3.jpg

4MBkdAq.jpg

OaWp0TX.jpg

TuxrKFI.jpg

dS43d9f.jpg

MGeW4gD.jpg

m80rgaz.jpg

E4YRZZX.jpg

8cYdrsN.jpg

K8ekyJg.jpg

ctJDyIf.jpg

6Im11gj.jpg

Platy

Dear god musha put some quotes on those images =P

Also ... more than usual because it is almost half of the month and we didn't had our first dungeun =P
...So think about Epic Mickey, you know ?
Also, tryed some ballpoint for the 2 panel spread but got crazy with effects and paitning so whatever

Imf1iDr.png

"mam, she can't go to the "trials" ride..."

wPsPK08.png

"...because she does not have the clothes....
...where is she ?"
[trials ->]

8Pcgasr.png

5MJikCi.png

Blizzard

Banned
First person to reply to me, please pick what I draw tonight (or a theme/challenge). It could be something from my apartment, a photograph, or a line drawing to freehand copy.

Top Bottom