• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inktober 2017 |OT| Digital Artists Welcome

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Arsene makes his appearance! Took some liberties here, but I liked the visual in my head, plus I wanted to go a bit ink crazy.

DMKKca0VwAAORJm.jpg

Arex

Totally missed posting my Inktober works here lol. I'll try and edit in some of them to my post later :d I've been slow and is a couple of days behind now >_<

Here's my Day 13:

Blizzard

Banned
draw a SNES :p
I ended up using a picture of an actual SNES. I'm super tired and a day behind now so I hope you'll forgive how rough these lines are. I also really struggled with the perspective and proportions. I also realized after posting that I forgot the other controller port, haha.

SNES using a photograph as reference, art for Inktober 10/15/2017, about 70 minutes.

Thanks to all my adoring fans, without whom I could never keep going. I almost wanted to skip tonight but I shall persevere!

Diamond

I ended up using a picture of an actual SNES. I'm super tired and a day behind now so I hope you'll forgive how rough these lines are. I also really struggled with the perspective and proportions.

SNES using a photograph as reference, art for Inktober 10/15/2017, about 70 minutes.

Thanks to all my adoring fans, without who I could never keep going. I almost wanted to skip tonight but I shall persevere!

Your last 3 entries are really cool! You're getting better. Keep going! :)

This fucking Oblena! Ooh and someone else who does ballpoint. Tell me your shading techniques.

Damn, just saw this and you're banned (hope it's temporary), but since I was asked: I just color with a run of the mill ballpoint pen SUPER lightly. I try to make it so light that it doesn't look like visible lines or strokes. Areas closer to the edge I want to look darker so I keep coloring over it till it darkens and just let up as I go further in from the edge of the drawing. Then I just smudge it with my finger to make it look "blended."

Uh that was way too verbose, but hope it makes sense or is helpful in any way.

Blizzard

Banned
I have two quick questions for other Clip Studio Paint Pro users. I'm currently trying to google answer(s).

1. Is there any way to make color palette(s) bigger? The color picker and each color on it is ultra tiny.
2. On a similar note, I've used art or paint software before that lets you flood fill and then change the current color, watching the image update live while you decide what color you want. Is there any similar "live color change" functionality in Clip Studio Paint? I like the software, but trying to figure out how a color will look is a very slow and awkward process.

*edit*
For question 1, you can drag the color wheel off the palette and make it bigger. This solves that problem.

*edit2*
For question 2, I see there the user's guide suggests creating a "Fill" layer, which lets you change the color of an entire layer with a nice big color picker popup. Unfortunately, even that doesn't seem to have a live preview, so you have to keep changing, closing, reopening, etc.

Amalthea

Banned
_20171016_200959vjlq5.jpg

Day 17: Derpy the Deformed Tiger aka. what happens when I try to paint something realistic from a photo without pencils first.

Platy

UB0x13q.png

"After a long time..." ¹

zD3GSwx.png

[1] Translation note :
The actual line is a joke because time (tempo) and temple (templo) (as in a zelda dungeun) are just one word apart in portuguese and I used the sentence like "after a long temple"

Blizzard

Banned
Clothespin, art for Inktober 10/16/2017, about 45 minutes.

With 16 entries, I'm over halfway done. I think I can finish this challenge, though I feel like I'm running out of real life things to draw. :p

Here is my self-assessment halfway through:
  • Curved lines are the hardest things in the world to draw. Straight lines are the other.
  • I still struggle a lot with perspective and proportions, even though I am trying to train myself to draw what my eye sees.
  • I feel like my eye for colors and shading is sort of decent, and even though these drawings are simplistic I enjoy adding the colors to make them more pleasing to the eye.

Day 17: Chris Redfield sketch.

It's unfinished and I don't really have much motivation for art so I figured I'd at least post something. Depressing stuff:
Dealing with near-untreatable cancer in the family,
a miscarriage in the family, and a lawsuit all in one week so I'm not really in the mood for art right now.
I'm gonna try though.

Blizzard

Banned
Day 17: Chris Redfield sketch.

It's unfinished and I don't really have much motivation for art so I figured I'd at least post something. Depressing stuff:
Dealing with near-untreatable cancer in the family,
a miscarriage in the family, and a lawsuit all in one week so I'm not really in the mood for art right now.
I'm gonna try though.
My sympathies for the awful things in your life.

If you can appreciate some dark humor, remember that tortured artists produce the best work. Try focusing on either letting go of the pain to make something beautiful as a balance to what you're experiencing (the Tchaikovsky approach), or embrace it, letting your emotion and pain flow through freely to your art as a way of releasing it (the Beethoven approach).

Pick a subject that has meaning to you, and THROW YOURSELF at it.

Blizzard

Banned
Disney paintbrush butter knife, art for Inktober 10/17/2017, about 35 minutes. This shows both sketched and ink shaded versions.

I tried a couple of experiments here. For one, this is a metal object with reflections so it is challenging to look at. For another, since my lines are always sketchy or wiggly, I tried embracing that to make the whole thing sketchy. Finally, I also tried to shade solid regions with short ink line scribbles, though that turned out to be a ton of work and there is probably a better approach. The handle of the butter knife may not look as round as I might like.

Top Bottom