• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamOS out now (beta)

Will I get a Steam Badge for installing this?
"Badges? I don't have no badges. I don't need no badges. I don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Bonus points for identifying the quote

Waiting for the torrent to finish so I can do the hard drive swap and get to installing.

The announcement is up: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1927836595762715926

and once again to make it clear

The prototype Steam Machines and Steam Controllers have officially left the factory and are on their way to beta testers.

Also, SteamOS is available for intrepid Linux hackers to try out. At this point the OS itself is not yet a finished product for a non-technical user, but if you’re interested you can read more about it at steampowered.com/steamos.

Thanks in advance to the three hundred Steam users who are going to spend their time helping us shape the future of Steam in the living room. We will be posting updates here about the experiences that users are having once the Steam hardware devices arrive at homes. Here we go!

SteamOS page is live to: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

thefil

Already running into difficulties. Their EFI grub is giving my the grub command line instead of a choice of bootables.

Just installed it.

Those of you without Linux experience should skip on this until they've at least made their own proper installer.

TheD

The Detective
Just looking at the contents of the Zip their seems to be a lot of Debian graphics and text left over (e.g the readme file)

The announcement is up: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1927836595762715926

and once again to make it clear
The prototype Steam Machines and Steam Controllers have officially left the factory and are on their way to beta testers.

Also, SteamOS is available for intrepid Linux hackers to try out. At this point the OS itself is not yet a finished product for a non-technical user, but if you’re interested you can read more about it at steampowered.com/steamos.

Thanks in advance to the three hundred Steam users who are going to spend their time helping us shape the future of Steam in the living room. We will be posting updates here about the experiences that users are having once the Steam hardware devices arrive at homes. Here we go!

SteamOS page is live to: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/
steammachine1oiue.png

Epic, designing my steamtendo valvestation machinebox.

markot

Banned
Ummmmmmmmm.

1: Worth it on an AMD card?
1a: So, you cant dual boot at all? Or just need a whole hard drive for it?

Just installed it.

Those of you without Linux experience should skip on this until they've at least made their own proper installer.
Define Linux experience

I don't know why I downloaded it when I apparently can't use it anyway (team red here) but I'm seeding this as well.

Nzyme32

REMINDER

• SteamOS is available for intrepid Linux hackers to try out
  • NVIDIA graphics card support ONLY
  • UEFI boot support ONLY
  • Both Default and Custom installation methods WILL ERASE ALL CONTENT ON YOUR TARGET COMPUTER
  • NO DUAL BOOT SUPPORT

This is a beta, you have been warned!

post-11951-You-ve-made-this-teddy-bear-an-F2ul.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was maybe going to try it out from a spare HDD. But no AMD GPU support? Is this real life?

Bsigg12

I was maybe going to try it out from a spare HDD. But no AMD GPU support? Is this real life?

There is no dual boot support in this release. Look up a couple posts. This is a legit beta for those who are willing to dig through Linux and have Nvidia cards.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There is no dual boot support in this release. Look up a couple posts. This is a legit beta for those who are willing to dig through Linux and have Nvidia cards.

Swapping HDDs is not what I would call dual boot.

REMINDER

• SteamOS is available for intrepid Linux hackers to try out
  • NVIDIA graphics card support ONLY
  • UEFI boot support ONLY
  • Both Default and Custom installation methods WILL ERASE ALL CONTENT ON YOUR TARGET COMPUTER
    [*]NO DUAL BOOT SUPPORT

This is a beta, you have been warned!

post-11951-You-ve-made-this-teddy-bear-an-F2ul.gif

I don't know what to think about this. I have an extra hard drive to test this....

LeleSocho

Banned
Your expectations are way out of line. This is not a roll-out at all. It's for people who know what they are doing with Linux. Nothing more. Valve was very up front about this not being anywhere close to primetime.

I certainly didn't expected an installer and all that but at the very least i expected amd drivers to be up hell i was expect not having the intel ones but this feels more like an alpha than a beta... whatever i'll install it as soon as i manage to snatch an nvidia card.

Top Bottom