• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just started working out, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently got a gym membership so I can stay fit and attractive for more than the next two months, I haven't lifted weights since early highschool, so I need advise.

1) What are the best exercises for a beginner?

2) I did some curls there my first day, and now three days later (I had prior commitments the last couple days, didn't have time to work out) the inside of my elbow still hurts pretty bad, especially when I extend my arm. Is this normal and I should power through it? Should I let my arm rest for a couple more days? Should I see a doctor?

I remember having that elbow shit, could open my arms more than 15 degrees

Work out something else until it stops hurting

Aren't there instructors at the gym who can make a basic workout plan for you? Might be better, and they can also show you how to do the exercises.

We can't really help you without knowing your goals. Also, I recommend you check out this thread.

1) As a beginner, everything should be very low weight. Focus on proper form and everything else (higher weights, more reps, etc) will come naturally.

2) That's very common - I get the same thing if I take more than a few weeks off between any specific exercise, especially curls. You'll find it hard to fully straighten your arms out for a few days with the pain/stiffness usually the worst around 48-72 hours after you lifted. This is called DOMS and most likely nothing to worry about, especially if it goes away within about 5 days. If it persists longer, it could be an injury. My guess is you are not injured, just experiencing DOMS, but I'm not a medical professional and therefore you should do what you think is best. If you curl again within about a week, you will most likely not have nearly as severe as DOMS the 2nd time around, and by the 3rd time you curl, you may not have any DOMS at all.

Heartfyre

If your gym has some form of introduction programme, I recommend you follow it. The best way to start is with some professional, personalised advice depending on your individual needs.

Rad-

2) I did some curls there my first day, and now three days later (I had prior commitments the last couple days, didn't have time to work out) the inside of my elbow still hurts pretty bad, especially when I extend my arm. Is this normal and I should power through it? Should I let my arm rest for a couple more days? Should I see a doctor?

It's like that when you first start working out (or return after a longer break). It won't hurt anymore after your muscles get used to the workout (takes 1-2 weeks generally for me).

bidguy

Banned
i remember my first workout. was sore for over a week. its normal just take it a little easy let your body get used to it. you definitely wont get the same soreness in a few weeks.

id say start with a full body workout for a few months but im sure fitgaf has better advice

Weckum

So I recently got a gym membership so I can stay fit and attractive for more than the next two months, I haven't lifted weights since early highschool, so I need advise.

For a beginner, 5x5 Stronglifts and Starting Strength are pretty good. They focus mostly on strength and less on aesthetics, but obviously your looks will improve once you work out more.

Compound excercises (squats, deadlifts etc) are probably best for beginners.

KillerBEA

Back Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows, and Barbell Curls. By simply putting in the work on a few key movements you can build decent mass/get stronger in those first few months especially. Pullups/Chinups & Dips are also really good if you can do them, if not you can build up to them through various methodologies.

Soreness is normal when a muscle is introduced to a new stimulus. Once your body starts adapting to the stimulus the soreness won't be as prevalent.

Come visit the Fitness thread when you have questions.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208464

Thanks all, I'll look into programs they had. Last week was pretty hectic, and I wanted to focus on getting some excercise in :p

And I'm glad to hear that it (probably) isn't anything serious.

You will definitely be sore for the first couple weeks. Are you more body building or strength training?

Strength training, mainly.

Come visit the Fitness thread when you have questions.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208464

Will do! Didn't even know there was one :p

KillerBEA

I'd recommend against starting with the barbells if you are brand new. Work your way up to barbells by doing dumbbell bench presses (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz53.htm) and goblet squats (https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/how-to-do-the-perfect-goblet-squat). Try to use free weights as much as you can if you want strength, as machines limit the motion too much and don't give you as complete of a package when it comes to gaining strength.

A 45 pound barbell shouldn't pose a problem for most people to the point they have to build up to it, at worst most gyms have preset barbells that weigh as little as 15- 20 lbs for the pressing movements.

JCtheMC

If your gym has some form of introduction programme, I recommend you follow it. The best way to start is with some professional, personalised advice depending on your individual needs.

This right here. Despite being all in favor of a program like stronglifts, someone does need to teach you basic free weight technique. Get a trainer to properly instruct you. Move on from there.

Drakeon

This right here. Despite being all in favor of a program like stronglifts, someone does need to teach you basic free weight technique. Get a trainer to properly instruct you. Move on from there.
Trainers often want nothing to do with free weights, which is why they're useless. Go read the fitness thread in community.

Sushi Nao

General tips:

Breathe lots. Out when you lift, in when you lower.

Don't exhaust yourself on the first set. If you can't do twelve reps with a weight, lessen till you can.

Throwing weights around doesn't do much and can hurt - do slow controlled movements up and let off slow. If you're putting a whole-body range of motion in it, the weight is too heavy.

Eat carbs an hour before a workout and an hour after. Maintain a close watch on nutrients. Drink less alcohol.

Keep your back straight and eyes ahead.

My routine is:

- dumbbell warmup
- pushups or bench press
- military press for shoulders
- donkey press for triceps
- rows for lats (chin-ups if you have a bar)
- shoulder shrugs for trapezius
- squats or leg press
- curls
- cooldown with dumbbells (don't skip cooldown!!)

I also jog on a treadmill for a cooldown. Doesn't really help build muscle overall by doing it after a workout but it burns fat amd builds endurance.

How feasible is it really to lose weight while gaining muscle mass? By that I mean simultaneously changing the body composition of muscle to fat? There seems to be conflicting knowledge that you can do both, or you can ONLY do one or the other.

bionic77

Do some research OP and take your time. GAF or the trainer at the gym can help you with a routine to get started.

Give maximum effort but you have to make sure you are doing things correctly and don't hurt yourself.

KillerBEA

How feasible is it really to lose weight while gaining muscle mass? By that I mean simultaneously changing the body composition of muscle to fat? There seems to be conflicting knowledge that you can do both, or you can ONLY do one or the other.
Technically possible, but as anything other than a novice/beginner level it is pretty obnoxious because you have to be really on point with diet and training. As a complete novice/beginner it is completely normal to gain muscle and lose fat.

Lkr

Read the /fit/ sticky.

For a beginner, 5x5 Stronglifts and Starting Strength are pretty good. They focus mostly on strength and less on aesthetics, but obviously your looks will improve once you work out more.

Compound excercises (squats, deadlifts etc) are probably best for beginners.

Starting strength is the way. Don't be fooled that 3 exercises will be easy, you will be dead after the first few sessions. And yeah, as funny as it may seem, /fit/ is a go to resource for this shit if you really want to get big

WoodWERD

Patience is key. Don't worry about what others are doing unless it's helping to improve your form. It takes a long time to see significant progress, unless you're juicing or genetically fortunate.

bidguy

Banned

its impossible. calorie deficit -> lose weight, calorie surplus -> gain mass

now tell us how to make both possible or better dont and get rich

Mister Wolf

The soreness goes away if you keep working the body part. Of course give it some rest but don't be afraid to work the muscle even if it's has some soreness. Make sure you stay humble and use weights within your range of strength don't try to be superman. Know your limits and increase them gradually.

hom3land

This is me right now... I've lost so much fat, but actually gained a pound. I know I can work on my diet, but literally go to the gym everyday.. Run/row/bike around 5k a day and while my body has toned down, I haven't lost a pound

Piers

Careful planning + consistency with diet.
In general, 80% of change with body shape is diet. Exercise is more to encourage change, and obviously fitness.

Don't do any major lifts before you get your posture checked. Make sure you have proper movement with no compensations as well.

entremet

Most of the best exercises are time tested and proven.

Squats, Presses, Deadlifts, Rows. These are what known compound movements and while they are more technical, once you learn them, you can ride them for life.

However, it's key to find out what you enjoy as well.

For example, body part splits have been proven to be inferior to full body routines. However, if body part splits are more fun and keep you at the gym, keep doing them.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

See if your gym has free introductory personal training and take advantage. Ask them to show you the big compound lifts.

Deadlift, squat and with a barbell

Bench press and shoulder press with a barbell and/or dumbbells

Maybe do some vanity stuff (arms and/or calves, I skip doing arms but do some calf raises once per week)

Make sure to do some exercise (one or two per session is enough) for each important muscle group (legs, chest, back, shoulders) two times per week

For the big lifts, 3 sets of five repetitions is a good amount for each exercise. Increase the weight nex time you do that exercise if you managed five repetitions each set

bionic77

Patience is key. Don't worry about what others are doing unless it's helping to improve your form. It takes a long time to see significant progress, unless you're juicing or genetically fortunate.
Yeah this is definitely about the process. Focus on that and the results will always come.

That said I don't know if others agree with me but I always like to get my cardio set before I lift weights. I always felt that I could not give max effort unless my cardio was in a good place. Whenever I stop working out and then get back into I usually spend the first month just doing as much cardio as possible and then I start lifting (with some cardio days too).

Dopus

Banned
Follow a 5x5 workout and the guides to the movements. Always check your form and don't go too hard. Know your limits. As far as the curls are concerned, what did you actually do set and rep wise? It's probably DOMS so I wouldn't worry. Just let your body adjust to a workout routine and don't push it until you're comfortable and given yourself adequate time to recover.

Stronglifts also have one, there's also T-Nation.

Skeletron

I remember having elbow inner elbow pain for a while. It got so bad I had to take some time off and I never quite figured out where it came from. If it's a joint pain it's got nothing to do with DOMS. Just start fixing your technique and keep at it though. The body will heal. When you're starting out you need to really focus on low weight and correct technique. When you're doing curls make sure you're keeping your upper arm fixed by your side and isolating your bicep, not swinging the weight around.

The Lamp

I was there. It's taken me 5 months to gain 25 lbs (maybe 75% muscle). Results take time.

Muscle soreness is different than injury pain. Soreness will make it hurt to use a muscle and will go away after a few days.

The best lifts for a beginner are ironically difficult to make sure you're doing properly. Watch videos and try to build your routine from these amazing exercises:
- squats
- deadlifts
- bench presses
- pull ups/chin ups

Honestly those exercises are compound enough and extremely popular and will give you great growth and results even for a few months.

You can also add curls, rows, core exercises, and overhead presses.

To gain size, focus on higher weight and 5-10 reps. To focus on tone and endurance, do lighter weight for 12-15 reps. Never do more weight than you can hold correct form. Don't sacrifice form for weight.

Be very careful to maintain proper core strength and posture during squats and deadlifts or you could injure your back or knees. But if you do them properly they are hands down the best exercises for beginners and in general for strength gain.

Don't exercise a muscle group any sooner than 36 hours apart. Muscle builds when the muscle is resting after work outs and it needs at least a day or two before it is ready to lift again.

You need to eat enough protein every day to maximize muscle gain. Try 0.75-1 g of protein per pound of body weight. It's a lot but your body won't efficiently absorb all of what you eat. Whey protein is the complete protein molecule for muscle rebuilding. Try to spread the ingestion of protein throughout your day and drink lots of water to aid your kidneys.

Afrocious

Hi OP.

I'll give you two options for programs to do at the gym. Why programs? Because doing random things at the gym isn't effective. Tried true programs work as long as you stick with them.

One good program is Starting Strength. Google it. Or you can use Stronglifts 5x5. This is what I started with.

Both of these will get you into doing the main compound exercises regularly. They're also good at creating foundational strength. Once you have foundational strength, it'll be easier to tackle whatever goal you have, such as cutting fat or gaining muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom