• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular fitness Youtuber quits due to 4chan shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
/b/ is the random board and does stuff purely because they can more often than not. That has lead to Anonymous the group in more focused things and so on. Most every other board hates /b/ or just doesn't care for it.

I assumed there was no real difference between /b/ and any other board on 4chan, no real wall separating /fit/ or /v/ or /b/ on any given day. It strikes me as naive to think of 4chan any other way.

magnetic

The first thing that I thought when I saw the thread title was "I only know one fitness Youtuber, and that's Scooby. Please don't let it be Scooby." And sure enough...

casabolg

Banned
I assumed there was no real difference between /b/ and any other board on 4chan, no real wall separating /fit/ or /v/ or /b/ on any given day. It strikes me as naive to think of 4chan any other way.

I've been on 4chan since 2007 and have toured every board. They are all their own unique culture.

I've been on 4chan since 2007 and have toured every board. They are all their own unique culture.

The only thing I really know /b/ for is a howling pit of active hostility. That is not a culture and given the ephemeral and anonymous nature that is at the very foundation of 4chan I doubt there isn't some overlap. Doesn't take much to transform an otherwise rational being into a heartless, aggressive monster persona online.

A lot of crap that is allowed on /b/ isn't allowed on other boards. If you act like you do on there, you'll get banned temporarily pretty quick. Believe it or not, there IS a moderation staff on the site.

Like another user said, many of the boards have their own culture. Some are more civilized than others. Some are downright hospitable.

casabolg

Banned
The only thing I really know /b/ for is a howling pit of active hostility. That is not a culture and given the ephemeral and anonymous nature that is at the very foundation of 4chan I doubt there isn't some overlap. Doesn't take much to transform an otherwise rational being into a heartless, aggressive monster persona online.

I suggest you try /fit/ (fitness), /mu/ (music), /lit/ (literature), /vg/ (video game generals), /diy/ (do-it-yourself), maybe even /v/ (video games). They are terrifically different from one another. Don't try /b/ and don't assume about things, buddy.

Edit: /diy/ downright taught me the basics of herbalism when I asked about it. It was nice.

SmithnCo

No, /b/ is a raging shithole whereas many of the other boards are fine. Obviously you get some dumb shit going on from time to time but it's not overpowering like /b/. Personally I like /co/ a lot.

led4lyfe

I've never heard of this guy before, but I just watched his videos and wow I'm impressed. Very good job getting point across by strong visual image and articulating do's/donts. Shame he had to stop the YouTube thing, wish I knew about him earlier.

Eusis

To generalize the opinion of it on 4chan:

-He was a public idol on /fit/ for a longest time, they all loved him
-Someone on /b/ found his information and proceeded to dox him
-/fit/ wanted this to end throughout
-People decided to call him, spread the word of where we lives
-He gets prank phone calls and even a person doing comments at him home
-He gets worried as the pranks get more serious and leaves
-/fit/ is so upset about it they are currently in disarray and many people left /fit/ altogether because of how disgusted about what /b/ has done to the man
-/fit/ is now looking for other role models as he's now in self-exile and Zyzz is dead

They loved the guy and generally did it because they could and some took it too seriously. That's how it usually works with 4chan.
Sounds kind of like the internet in general honestly: most people (probably) mean well, but a few people get weird and overboard and wreck it for everyone.

And Google thinks it's a great idea for everyone to use their real name on Youtube. Are these companies run by the densest dumbfucks in the world?

/b/'s population is mostly your average high school kid who discovered he can get away with calling people racial slurs.

Exr

Some boards are fantastic. On topic and very helpful community. Each one has its own running jokes and references though, so there is a huge difference among each of them.

flippedb

Banned
I thought /fit/ loved scoobs. He even had his tripcode, and posted quite often.

I love Scoobs.

Edit: holy shit, I knew my /fit/zens wouldn't harm Scoobs. It's a damn shame.

Amory

Just watched a few of his videos for the first time and he seems like a really nice, knowledgeable guy.

Shitty that they ruined it for people who were using his videos to better themselves.

if this comic is any indication, Mark Rippetoe is next:
LyVLt.jpg

Averon

/b/ and, to a lesser extent, /pol/, are the containment boards that keep the worst aspects of 4chan from invading the other boards. Many boards are downright fun to interact with, such as /co/ on Wednesdays and /sp/ during pretty much anything major sporting event (/sp/ during this past Super Bowl was incredible).

oneils

I dunno, the trolling/doxxing seems like a great excuse to move over to his new paid site. Only way for fans to interact with him, now, is through a paid membership.

Well, whatever the reason to move over to a paid site, it still is bullshit that he got doxxed. People really don't know when to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom