• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haha, my DL speed is hovering around 30-60 KB/s (on a 100 Mbps connection), and I'm downloading the entire client (wasn't in the closed beta). This is gonna be a while!

They should do it in a torrent-ish fashion, where you download the data from people who already have it and upload what you have to others. Or does it already work that way? If it does, I sure can't tell.

Lingitiz

So to those who have dumped tons of time into this game, does the combat stay fun? Say what you will about Diablo 3, but that game played beautifully.

I haven't dumped a ton of time into it, but it definitely gets more fun as you go. I felt like in D3 the game got more tiresome as time went on, where in this you really feel your character improving.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So to those who have dumped tons of time into this game, does the combat stay fun? Say what you will about Diablo 3, but that game played beautifully.
It depends if you make your character fun or not. I've personally made characters that are as fun to play as some of the funnest builds in D2, but I've also made some of the shittiest ones that play extremely dull :p

Ploid 3.0

How are you guys planning out your builds? I saw the skill tree on the site but I want to zoom out more to see the whole tree. I can zoom in closer but not out further than default.

cUk.png

It's kinda claustrophobic.

Personally I prefer the combat in Diablo 3. I think the hits are more impactful and visceral, but its close enough where everything else just makes it a different feeling game and great on its own.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How exactly do you guys pick a build? Previously I thought the character build was based on the passives you choose, so I'd just look around the tree for something.

Do you pick a certain weapon you want to focus on or something?

It doesn't match up to diablo's no, partially because you can't interrupt your own attack by moving. I think it's more the animations/physics that make the combat so much better in diablo 3 though. It's not necessarily the strong suit of the game, but it's satisfying enough to get the job done. I think they'll improve upon it overtime, too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How exactly do you guys pick a build? Previously I thought the character build was based on the passives you choose, so I'd just look around the tree for something.

Do you pick a certain weapon you want to focus on or something?
If it's your first character ever, it'll be doomed to suck - that's always how it is. Go with what you think looks like a good idea and then improve on that with a new character.

You'll eventually find loot for other classes/passive-combinations; this is when you make a new character based on that loot you got :p

Burt

Ah, didn't know you could queue up to get in. So, yeah, if anyone is all patched up, don't just sit there waiting for the timer to run out. Hit login to get into queue. 2k in front of me.

ACE 1991

Thanks for the responses, guys. I hope the combat grabs me enough to stick around, the other systems at play in this game sound amazing.

I just jotted down which order of node groupings I wanted to take in Notepad, and also using that to keep track of how many types of node groups I was taking.

My Shadow is ready.

Tomat

Think Im just gonna go with a wand based Witch and focus on summoning a shitload of stuff.

Jira

Think Im just gonna go with a wand based Witch and focus on summoning a shitload of stuff.

So you know, initially a summoner based witch isn't the easiest class to start and in fact I'd say it's the hardest because even with the increased HP/dmg passives your minions will get rocked in the rocky climb if your gear isn't up to snuff.

Are the weapon effects a one time use thing, or can you use them on as many things as you want?

You can use them as many times as you want by pulling them off of an item.

Burekma

Good thing I didn't forget to prepare for this and download the client in advance... :(

Based on the pathetic speeds I'm getting, I'm not playing this tonight. Diablo 3 scenario incoming if their download servers are any indication.

Volodja

Consider that summoning passives are a few and pretty spread out, so it will take a lot of your points just to reach and take them, so you won't have much room for other stuff.

Are the weapon effects a one time use thing, or can you use them on as many things as you want?

I believe they changed it to the latter just recently because of complaints, but rose the prices accordingly. Good ol' GGG listening to the fans.

Good thing I didn't forget to prepare for this and download the client in advance... :(

Based on the pathetic speeds I'm getting, I'm not playing this tonight. Diablo 3 scenario incoming if their download servers are any indication.

The servers will probably be a mess anyways.

Yoshichan

Finally done! :D

Reminder: I'm gonna be on GAF Mumble server (D3-channel) through this whole week!

chi.eoreality.net

Tomat

Consider that summoning passives are a few and pretty spread out, so it will take a lot of your points just to reach and take them, so you won't have much room for other stuff.

Shit you weren't kidding. Seems like they only want you to buff them a little bit instead of making a build focused on just summoning.

33%

...and to think, I thought I was being proactive by getting the client loaded before launch. I don't think I'll make it in time.

I haz a feeling these servers are going to burn.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've got stuff to do after work, but once I get home, I can finally feel right about making my characters. I only screwed around a bit in my 7 months of closed beta (because I hate the idea of character wipes), so I feel like I'm going to dive in the right way now.

I'll likely spend my beta monies on stash tabs. I love stash tabs.

Yoshichan

yoshi I can't patch...

it's not working...

I'm giving her all she's got captain...

LLShC.gif
Don't panic!

Ud4sYD6.gif

Why can you not patch the client? What does it tell you?

Atomski

My download speed went up and down a lot but I still managed to get it all pretty quick..

I have no idea what class or spec I want to roll..

got an error half way through the patch lol.... some dude on poe forums in 2909 in the queue......lol :(

Guess the servers are really getting hammered now, only took me a couple minutes to download the patch at 12mb/s and theres still 1000 people ahead of me

Top Bottom