• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Technically impressive games with terrible art style

jtb

Banned
Oblivion is a great example. To go from Morrowind to... that. Tsk tsk, Bethesda.

I'll throw Two Worlds 2 in the mix too. That game was fucking gorgeous at release, but also had one of the most generic video-game-fantasy art styles you could possibly imagine.

Oblivion is a great example. To go from Morrowind to... that. Tsk tsk, Bethesda.

Yep.The elder scrolls games have some of the ugliest npcs and some very evidently photo textures poorly wrapped to geometry

Sorry bud, the Gears art design has never been good.

Define good. Im not a fan of Gears style, but its very consistent and competent. Also even if you dont think it was good, the OP was asking for terrible

Oersted

This is a good choice.

Borderlands isn't really technically impressive.

Also, if you don't like how the finished game looked, you should have seen it before.

tenor.gif

Its a GBA game and there are barely any pics of it on the interwebs 😁

EBE

Sorry bud, the Gears art design has never been good.

ridiculously chunky characters aside, gears 3 has some stunning art design full of gorgeous vistas and neat architecture. its art has also been incredibly cohesive while becoming ever more refined

gears 1 and 2 are tough to go back to i'll give you that. except for certain underground sections in 2

Godcannon

I was gonna defend Crysis, but instead I will just sigh and say most Elder Scrolls games. They look great, but they dont have the best gameplay and depth.

I remember that Wii FPS game The Conduit got maaaad hype from the IGN Nintendo guys about how much they were pushing the Wii technically. The game ultimately looked and played like shit though.

Menitta

The Order 1886. The art quality is good but I don't like the style at all. So many games have done Victorian Era/Steampunk better.

Also Gears of War. Again, good quality but I hate that style.

Tyaren

Horizon Zero Dawn

image.gif

Seriously, Horizon Zero Dawn and terrible art style? I'd like to see a real explanation for this.

Oblivion is a prime example for great technical achievement at the time but bad art direction. It's especially apparent when you compare Skyrim with it.

rackham

Banned
I wanna say The Order 1886...and I will.

The Order 1886. The art quality is good but I don't like the style at all. So many games have done Victorian Era/Steampunk better.
Like what? I wouldn't even say the order is technically impressive since it's so limited in what you're doing.

Goldboy

Doom, Quake 2, Everquest, World of Warcraft, The Witcher 3, and Horizon Zero Dawn

Disagree about Marathon (well except for the alien spacecraft textures in Durandal) and Crysis 2 (it looked great before they patched in a bunch of ugly contrast and saturation boosting postprocessing)

Curious about your reasoning for Horizon.

Alxjn

Seriously, Horizon Zero Dawn and terrible art style? I'd like to see a real explanation for this.

Thomas Kinkade meets Michael Bay's Transformers. I can see how someone could find it garish and over designed. Im not a fan of some of the character designs and lighting choices, but I wouldn't say it is terrible.

Menitta

Like what? I wouldn't even say the order is technically impressive since it's so limited in what you're doing.

I mean, if we're going off visuals, then The Order is impressive. You're right in that the Order is a very limited game (and I dislike it for that reason) but the art quality in that game is damn good.

As for why I don't like the style, I really dislike hyper-realism. The Order's main style was realism and it wasn't for me. I know it's not fair to judge a game on what it's not, but it didn't take the steampunk-tech angle far enough for my liking.

You really think so? Even the Viva Pinata games, Nuts and Bolts and the upcoming Sea of Thieves?

Viva Pinata gets a pass, but you honestly don't think Nuts and Bolts is a visually appealing game do you?.

In Nuts and Bolts Rare was able to take their hideous designs from Banjo Kazooie and somehow make them even more boxy, insipid and grotesque.

pixelation

I do not agree with this reasoning at all (and people use it frequently) to knock on TO1886's presentation. They had a vision for that they wanted to acomplish and did it masterfully, not every game needs to be open world in order for their tech prowess to be appreciated.

Also... the art direction was quite good too (and the actual game as well).

orborborb

Curious about your reasoning for Horizon.

The graphics are obviously enormously impressive technically, and the robot creatures and human faces look pretty great by themselves, but like The Witcher 3 when you are actually playing the art style doesn't read very clearly for either gameplay OR emotional imapct, they've gotta cover the screen in HUD crud and insert cutscenes. Contrast to Destiny, GTA V, Uncharted 4, or Breath of the Wild which are masterful at that kind of thing.

World of Warcraft

Uhhhhh. From day 1 WoW has literally been the opposite of this topics original question. It's a game that has never even tried to be technically impressive while having phenomenal art style/aesthetics to make up for it. Compare WoW to something like Rift--a game that had a lot of very impressive effects, but was a brown and grey mess that was terrible to look at.

Uhhhhh. From day 1 WoW has literally been the opposite of this topics original question. It's a game that has never even tried to be technically impressive while having phenomenal art style/aesthetics to make up for it. Compare WoW to something like Rift--a game that had a lot of very impressive effects, but was a brown and grey mess that was terrible to look at.

Blizzards hasn't been top of the line since Warcraft 2.

Blizzards hasn't been top of the line since Warcraft 2.

My point exactly. The question was which games are "technically" impressive with terrible art. Blizzards design philosophy is to make games that have great art direction but aren't technically impressive. And they do a damn good job in that regard. I would consider them a company that is consistently the opposite of the original question posed.

balohna

Arkham Asylum.
Best Metroidvania since Prime and the best Superhero game ever made with a beautiful gothic world to explore... ..ruined by horrendous steroid infused character designs. Bleh.

I thought it looked fine overall, environments were pretty good but nothing jaw dropping. The characters were pretty bad, though. Unappealing designs, too dark and far away to see them in detail outside cutscenes so they all looked kinda generic. I don't even know exactly what art style I would have wanted, but it pretty much isn't what we got.

Arkham Knight looks really damn good, though. First game this gen to really "wow" me. I didn't like it as much as Asylum as a game, though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The Order has some of the best PP and PBR implementation in a video game, it's literally one of the few examples of games that I would say is genuinely good at mimicking the look of CGI and that's absolutely because they polished the visuals to an obsessive degree at the expense of every other aspect of the game.

the-order-1886-screen-12-ps4-us-16jun14

MartyStu

The graphics are obviously enormously impressive technically, and the robot creatures and human faces look pretty great by themselves, but like The Witcher 3 when you are actually playing the art style doesn't read very clearly for either gameplay OR emotional imapct, they've gotta cover the screen in HUD crud and insert cutscenes. Contrast to Destiny, GTA V, Uncharted 4, or Breath of the Wild which are masterful at that kind of thing.

The topic is about terrible art-styles.

Neither Witcher 3 nor Horizon fit that bill. Even if you think their technical ambition exceed their art style.

orborborb

I guess I consider WoW (or possibly Warcraft 3) to be the origin of the generic cartoon fantasy style that is the default of all mobile games for example. It communicates gameplay but I find it impossible to have any sort of immersion or emotional response.

nkarafo

Rush 2048 on the Ν64.

This game has an incredible level of background details and draw distance for the era or the system. But it looks ugly as sin.

orborborb

Neither Witcher 3 nor Horizon fit that bill. Even if you think their technical ambition exceed their art style.

I guess I was focusing on games that were EXTREMELY technically impressive to me, and finding ones with an overall art style that prevented me from enjoying them. I could probably come up with a much longer list of horribly ugly games that had something technically impressive.

Memento

What?

People complain a lot about the characters in Gears of War and that's fine, but I think it's crazy to suggest the series hasn't always featured gorgeous environments.

Red Faction Guerrilla (particularly on a modern PC) actually has some nice environmental visuals too. It's Mars so it's nothing particularly varied or gorgeous -- no 'destroyed beauty' here -- but there's a specific look to the lighting and environment haze which can be really nice to look at. I wouldn't put it up against Gears, but I think focusing just on the homely characters does it a bit of an injustice.

I honestly can't think of too many technically impressive games just as a starting point. Terrible art styles are easy to find -- let's go with Final Fantasy 15, Street Fighter 4, Super Mario Odyssey -- but not many of these games are also impressive on any sort of technical level. Maybe something in the Tekken series? When was the last time those games looked impressive?

giphy.gif

nkarafo

If this is your standard for ugly then don't ever play another European-made platformer because the general standard is way, way lower.
Yeah, i mean, i don't get what's wrong with Flink? The game looked amazing to me. It's like an ultra-detailed Amiga game.

I guess I consider WoW (or possibly Warcraft 3) to be the origin of the generic cartoon fantasy style that is the default of all mobile games for example.

Not even close. Most of the generic cartoon fantasy you see in mobile games is for cost and logistical reasons--cheaper to get people to draw a bunch of static sprites or variations of such than pay people to make hyper-realistic textures and very demanding 3D models that will completely destroy the hardware/battery. That look definitely predates WoW as well. It's probably more rooted in JRPG's than anything.

I wouldn't call WoW cartoony. It's stylized. The art direction in WoW is actually phenomenal considering it essentially changes with each expansion, and each expansion has a very distinct style--on top of the fact that each race even the non playable ones has its own style. Blizzard put a lot of effort into the aesthetics of WoW.

Jack cw

This is the worst attempt I have read trying to downplay those games. The troll quality is just as bad as all those stupid threads lately.

From what little hands on time ive gotten with it, Nidhogg 2. Still just as fun to play and maybe even a little more technically advanced than the original, but god that art style is hard to look at.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not to be a contrarian but i don't see anything technically impressive in the new Mario game (so far).
I dunno, that level of detail at 60fps on a handheld is pretty impressive to me. I can't think of any other similar type of game that comes close on mobile hardware.

To be fair though, style is pretty subjective.

Personally I think the art is pretty middling in Both.

I've seen less of Witcher so maybe its more impressive in game, but it certainly looks very generic fantasy to me.

Horizon has a beautiful world, but the character and creature design is very offputting for my sensibilities. Especially the creature design.

If I had to pick one game to fit the OPs bill... Then I'd probably go for Killzone Shadow Fall.

Killzone 2 heavy grey aesthetic was oppressive as fuck and really fit the world. Everything in Shadow Fall was just... bleh.

Stranya

The graphics are obviously enormously impressive technically, and the robot creatures and human faces look pretty great by themselves, but like The Witcher 3 when you are actually playing the art style doesn't read very clearly for either gameplay OR emotional imapct, they've gotta cover the screen in HUD crud and insert cutscenes.
Horizon has a dynamic hud option that works beautifully. I wish all games had one like it. Not sure what "doesn't read clearly for either gameplay or emotional impact" actually means.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

This can't be a real complaint. Especially about the HUD in Horizon and I haven't even played that game.

image.gif

Oblivion is a prime example for great technical achievement at the time but bad art direction. It's especially apparent when you compare Skyrim with it.

I am in the same camp, though..

Horizon looks looks incredibly bland compared to how well it is done technically.

Off course it's not "horrible". It's just so so good in one department (the technical side), that its actual design comes off as a little bit uninspired.

Top Bottom