• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Kinsei

Banned
So Riverdale is such a hilariously perfect show for The CW. Watching it on Netflix recently and it checks all the box with a ridiculously good looking cast and over dramatic borderline nonsensical storylines. But it also comes across self aware. Not quite as self aware as say... MTV's Scream tv show, but it's nearly there. It also has the benefit of doing a pretty good job of executing the IP with a twist angle that it was pitched as.

Greg Berlanti just has this marvelous knack for these types of shows. A super fun aspect of these shows is that they cast older actors that were known for the genre when they were younger. In his Superhero shows, he casts actors from previous iterations of his characters (Mark Hamill, Dean Cain, John Wesley Shipp, Helen Slater, etc...) but since there were no live action Riverdale shows or movies to pull from, he instead goes into the vault of Teen Genre film and tv with a touch of Soap Opera as well... casting Skeet Ulrich, Luke Perry, Molly Ringwald, Marisol Nichols, Martin Cummins, Madchen Amick, Lochlyn Munro, and Robin Givens.

Now I wouldn't personally spend my Primetime hour watching this on broadcast... it makes for really good Netflix background trash tv viewing while knocking out chores.

Riverdale is pretty shit IMO. It doesn't get why any of the Archie characters work and they decided to erase one of the few asexual characters in fiction.

Riverdale is pretty shit IMO. It doesn't get why any of the Archie characters work and they decided to erase one of the few asexual characters in fiction.

It's not that it doesn't get why they work. It's Archie with a twist specifically because it needs to be to be a tv show. A more faithful adaptation does not get a pilot order let alone make it to series.

Kinsei

Banned
It's not that it doesn't get why they work. It's Archie with a twist specifically because it needs to be to be a tv show. A more faithful adaptation does not get a pilot order let alone make it to series.

If they changed the names of the characters then no one would know that it's meant to be an Archie show. Archie with a twist has been done before and Riverdale doesn't hold a candle to it.

If they changed the names of the characters then no one would know that it's meant to be an Archie show. Archie with a twist has been done before and Riverdale doesn't hold a candle to it.

To be fair, if they changed the names of the characters, the reason no one would know it's an Archie show is because Archie has a very niche audience.

If by saying "Archie with a twist" you're referring to the various comic book iterations of the cast... that's a standard treatment in comics.

It seems like you really enjoy Archie comics. And I can understand that as a fan, you may not like this version of the IP because it doesn't ring true enough to the original. However to the world at large, Archie isn't a holy IP. It's more a pop culture reference. This version of the show is intended to be teen soap pulp/trashy drama. Just like Scream, Teen Wolf, etc... So while I can understand and respect that you don't like it. It's not shit simply because it's not the version of the IP that you like most. It succeeds very well at exactly what it was trying to do.

Laekon

Does The 100 ever move beyond being a very stereotypical teen drama? I like the idea but the first episode was pretty bad in that every character seemed overly stereotyped.

Does The 100 ever move beyond being a very stereotypical teen drama? I like the idea but the first episode was pretty bad in that every character seemed overly stereotyped.

Give it about 4 or 5 episodes and it improves. It doesn't ever completely shake the teen drama... because that's what it is. But it gets darker and more violent than any other teen drama show I've seen.

Aiii

So not worth it
So yesterday, for some reason or another, I remembered Party of Five and how I kind of wanted to rewatch it for nostalgia's sake (hey I'm a sucker for soapy family drama's, don't you dare judge me). Hop on to Netflix Netherlands, not there, get bummed, move on.

Today I log in to Netflix and right smack in the first position of the "Recently Added" is fucking Part of Five.

So that's freaked me out a little. What are the odds?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Flaked Season 2 (TV, Comedy, Drama, Netflix Original)
Inspector Gadget Season 3 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Los Últimos de Filipinas (Drama, Foreign)
Lucid Dream (Thriller, SciFi, Foreign, Netflix Original)
Saving Banksy (Doc, Cultural)
The Homecoming Collection (TV, Reality)

I begun writing/making the Death Note OT

I'm looking for OT title suggestions. So far I got:

Netflix's Death Note |OT| Just according to Covfefe (Covfefe means plan)
Netflix's Death Note |OT| Dramatic Chip Eating
Netflix's Death Note |OT| *Writes Iron Fist in notebook*
Netflix's Death Note |OT| His name is Light Turner...

Kaladin

I begun writing/making the Death Note.

I'm looking for OT title suggestions. So far I got:

Netflix's Death Note |OT| Just according to Covfefe (Covfefe means plan)
Netflix's Death Note |OT| Dramatic Chip Eating
Netflix's Death Note |OT| *Writes Iron Fist in notebook*
Netflix's Death Note |OT| His name is Light Turner...

First one nails it

I want to go with "Just according to Covfefe (Covfefe means plan)", but suggest replacing covfefe with keikaku, since I get the feeling covfefe as a joke won't age so well.

Watched Coraline yesterday. I have to say the displays for the animation are great and the story is constructed very well. There aren't any characters that don't really are just there and forgettable like a random waitress or something. I'm curious about the book. I feel like the part where she searches for the eyes is probably longer.

Has anyone read the book is it as good, worse, or better than the movie?

Watched Coraline yesterday. I have to say the displays for the animation are great and the story is constructed very well. There aren't any characters that don't really are just there and forgettable like a random waitress or something. I'm curious about the book. I feel like the part where she searches for the eyes is probably longer.

Has anyone read the book is it as good, worse, or better than the movie?

Book is creepier than the film. For one thing, Wybie isn't in the book, so she is completely alone during the whole thing. Also, the implication of what The Other Mother wants from Coraline is scarier.

I would also recommend the audio book, since Neil Gaiman himself reads it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'll probably watch Flake Season 2 (after I get through HOC and Master of None)...but I'm expecting that one to be cancelled too due to the lukewarm reception S1 got.

I'm not sure if this show is actually any good or I'm just biased towards it due to the setting being near where I live.

I'll probably watch Flake Season 2 (after I get through HOC and Master of None)...but I'm expecting that one to be cancelled too due to the lukewarm reception S1 got.

I'm not sure if this show is actually any good or I'm just biased towards it due to the setting being near where I live.

I actually enjoyed the first season of Flaked unlike the majority of the population apparently. It is Will Arnett and it feels like a live action BoJack-lite, but not as good.

I just binged the second season and I would say it's more of the same, but it's only 6 episodes so it's quick to go through. It's like a 2.5/5 show really, but it was just something that fit the mood for the night for me so it worked.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Acapulco La vida va (Comedy, Foreign)
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown Season 7 (TV, Travel, Food)
Blue Gold: American Jeans (Doc, Cultural)
Gabriel Iglesias Presents Rick Gutierrez: I’m Not Mad, I’m Just a Parent (Standup)
Headshot (Action, Foreign)
Jules and Dolores (Comedy, Foreign)
Jurassic School (Family)
Suite Francaise (Crime, Drama)
The Axe Murders of Villisca (Thriller, Horror)
The Wishing Tree (Family)
Three (Action, Foreign)
Tunnel (Thriller, Foreign)
Turn: Washington's Spies Season 3 (TV, Drama)
War on Everyone (Action, Comedy)

zero_suit

Added today:

Acapulco La vida va (Comedy, Foreign)
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown Season 7 (TV, Travel, Food)
Blue Gold: American Jeans (Doc, Cultural)
Gabriel Iglesias Presents Rick Gutierrez: I’m Not Mad, I’m Just a Parent (Standup)
Headshot (Action, Foreign)
Jules and Dolores (Comedy, Foreign)
Jurassic School (Family)
Suite Francaise (Crime, Drama)
The Axe Murders of Villisca (Thriller, Horror)
The Wishing Tree (Family)
Three (Action, Foreign)
Tunnel (Thriller, Foreign)
Turn: Washington's Spies Season 3 (TV, Drama)
War on Everyone (Action, Comedy)

Parts Unknown!

The Thanksgiving episode of Master of None was so fucking good. I'm glad they expanded on Denise and Dev's friendship.

The best!

Also, for anyone who enjoys Dear White People, Afterbuzz TV has put up several videos reviewing the series and they have guest appearances from the show's cast so it's cool to get that perspective. I adore these reviews and just want to share it with as many people as I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Cf9pT5XVw

When I saw season 2 of Flaked was added, I restarted watching. I saw the first 3 episodes before and I wasn't hooked but didn't think it was bad either. I really like it for what it is. Season 2's the same quality which I didn't expect since it was received pretty poorly by critics. I wonder if its getting viewed a good amount and people just aren't talking about it.

When I saw season 2 of Flaked was added, I restarted watching. I saw the first 3 episodes before and I wasn't hooked but didn't think it was bad either. I really like it for what it is. Season 2's the same quality which I didn't expect since it was received pretty poorly by critics. I wonder if its getting viewed a good amount and people just aren't talking about it.

To me, personally, it's a depressing show. Having dealt with alcoholics in my life-and now-while some of the things are farfetched(Arnetts character), the actions they do and why they do them aren't.

It's enjoyable though. I watched it somberly, not really expecting laughs.

To me, personally, it's a depressing show. Having dealt with alcoholics in my life-and now-while some of the things are farfetched(Arnetts character), the actions they do and why they do them aren't.

It's enjoyable though. I watched it somberly, not really expecting laughs.

Yeah, I get that. I know a few people that struggle with addictions and I see some of them in the characters. Will Arnett's character is really interesting to me from a writing perspective because of how many unlikable traits he has, but despite that I still root for him. And it doesn't feel like other shows where they go "here's 5 good things they do and one really bad thing so you're conflicted". Everything feels a lot more grey.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This Sarah Silverman special is fantastic.

Edit: finished it and it was one of my favorite stand ups in ages.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown Season 8 (TV, Travel, Food)
Hypersomnia (Thriller, Foreign)
My Only Love Song Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
Orange is the New Black Season 5 (TV, Drama, Netflix Original)
Shimmer Lake (Thriller, Netflix Original)
The Firefly (Drama, Romantic, Foreign)

Fuck, I'd watched some episodes of Poirot before, but I finally decided I wanted to sit down and watch the whole series, and discovered the first six seasons got removed at some point.

Fuck, I'd watched some episodes of Poirot before, but I finally decided I wanted to sit down and watch the whole series, and discovered the first six seasons got removed at some point.

That's true, but you can jump in anywhere. The only changes from continuity are whether Poirot is living in town, country, etc. and whether the particular story has Miss Lemon, or Ariadne Oliver, or Hastings.

I'm glad I got through most or all of the earlier seasons before they were removed though. I'm at season 11. It's funny, it's been years since I read the books, but I can still remember most of the stories underneath and point out the murderer lol. Looking forward to watching Curtain. When I first read it, it was a total mindfuck, but I think I'll appreciate it at this point in my life.

Top Bottom