• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey Goo |OT| Nanomachines son!

Falk

that puzzling face
Workshop integration is cherry on the cake.

Mods/etc. are how games with a niche, dedicated fanbase have legs. Making user-content support an official thing is an amazing step in cultivating that.

What's your kind of RTS? The genre appears to be more niche than even I imagined. I thought people who liked RTS played and enjoyed everything in the genre.

Company of Heroes / Dawn of War. The Relic brand, I suppose. I did enjoy a bit of C&C historically but I never got as hardcore into it as I did into CoH1. Small numbers of units, focus on unit preservation and microing heavy stuff to get the most out of it.

I'd say the style is more C&C than anything, there doesn't seem to be unit abilities so not nearly as much micro as Starcraft or Warcraft. I'm on mission 5 and really liking this, the production values and story is solid but its just a classic feeling RTS that hits the spot.

Game is curbstomping me on the second campaign mission...yeah, I'm rusty.

The last RTS I put serious time into was about 60 hours of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade a couple months back, which apparently hasn't prepared me for Grey Goo.

Boogdud

I am really enjoying this game.

I have a group of friends that regularly play sc2 as coop vs ai and they are huge c&c fans. They would really dig this game but being 2v2 as the largest maps available will scratch it off their last (along with the price for a couple of them because they're super cheap). I really hope we get some larger maps and team options.

But right now, this game and campaign is really scratching an itch.

Instro

I haven't read to much about this, but I saw enough in that thread the other day to be interested. Probably won't pick it up soon, but eventually.

Nokterian

Pretty much this, it all rounds up to give a solid game with good pacing and combat much like the first SC. Its not a major difference but if your a RTS vet you will instantly tell the difference and either like it or loath it.

Yes you should have no problems but check the minimum specs before you buy just in case.

This isn't like starcraft at all not by a country mile. Combat,base building all the tradional stuff from C&C and it just feels like that. SC1/2 are twitchy RTS witch require fast movement even in singleplayer.

Lettuce

Never came out, they pulled the release date a couple weeks before. People are pissed because the same devs announced the 40k Space Fleet (Battlefleet Gothic) game recently. I have my eye on it but ill wait for reviews as the studios track record is quite bad game wise .

Shit didn't know that, wonder why it was held back.

Well Meridian: New World and SunAge: Battle For Elysium Remasterd which both seem interesting came out the back end of 2014 so RTS games do seem to be making a come back of sorts

KDR_11k

The construction gimmicks and such strongly remind me of Earth 2160. There the ED built big interconnected bases, the UCS plopped down core hubs and furnished them with things like factories and turrets and the alpha aliens simply eat resources directly and clone and morph to produce units. E2160 also had the LC which built movable towers that form a stack of various modules but Goo only has three factions.

dhlt25

High production values, three factions, not so micro management heavy is what I'm seeing so far.
This game is not like SC at all. It's much more similar in style to C&C, earth 2160 and rise of nation. Much slower pace. SC requires a ton of micro even more so in 1 compare to 2. I don't know what you are talking about.

Memory

Just to be clear, you mean this in contrast to SC2 right? I think I'm not of the majority opinion that SC2 was a let down, so I can't tell whether you mean that contrastingly or simply that both SC1 and 2 share these praises. The main gameplay aspect I disliked from SC2 was I found the game was too focused on mission specific gimmicks that were dropped as soon as the mission was over. The more classic missions in SC1 and Broodwar lent more experimentation I thought with the actually useful expansion of the tech trees into a wide range of tools. In SC2 the tech tree seemed to have some general use things, but mostly felt like a history list of all the tech you had encountered since beginning, and not a toolkit to forge your own path in taking care of the mission at hand.

This isn't like starcraft at all not by a country mile. Combat,base building all the tradional stuff from C&C and it just feels like that. SC1/2 are twitchy RTS witch require fast movement even in singleplayer.

This game is not like SC at all. It's much more similar in style to C&C, earth 2160 and rise of nation. Much slower pace. SC requires a ton of micro even more so in 1 compare to 2. I don't know what you are talking about.

I'm mostly playing skirmish so i'm talking about that mainly, however as i said originally as an overall game its more like C&C Red Alert and Earth 2160 than the StarCraft Series. But between the two Starcraft games its alot more like 1 than 2. In skirmish SC1 was alot less twitchy and micro centric than SC2 iirc, SC2 skirmish basicly replicated SC1 online multiplayer. My memory may be hazey though as i played these games on release and have never revisited them.

Shit didn't know that, wonder why it was held back.

Well Meridian: New World and SunAge: Battle For Elysium Remasterd which both seem interesting came out the back end of 2014 so RTS games do seem to be making a come back of sorts

My hope is that it had lots of problems and since they scored the W40k deal they knew they had to deliver a great game or no one whould buy their W40k game. So they are putting in lots of effort to make sure it comes out near perfect to build expectations and sales of the W40k game. It maybe wishful thinking but i need great rts games in my life lol.

gelf

All this talk of it playing most like C&C is music to my ears. I lost interest in this genre when it moved away from that kind of gameplay.

Guy.brush

How much base building and turtling does this have in COOP skirmish against AI?
Would love for an RTS to feature more of that rather than the rush, rush, rush kind.

Seiniyta

I'm getting 30FPS in cutscenes, not sure if that's intentional.

Cinematic cutscenes are in 30 fps, that's normal. if it are the ingame cutscenes that can be jarring. I'm only at mission 2 but I haven't noticed any abnormal fps drops.

I will say though that the framerate isn't fantastic compared to SC2. Sure, SC2 is older but imo still looks nicer. Though that might be the art style. I do like the buildings of the Beta race. They definitly got a lot of personality.

Oh wow. This completely slipped my radar and caught me by surprise. A wonderful, colourful science fiction themed RTS from ex-Westwood with music from the old school CNC composer? I'm beyond interested. I'm definitely going to buy this and play the hell out of it. It kind of feels like we get an RTS game once in a blue moon now so to see an excellent one from Petroglyph show up is just the nicest kind of amazing. Buying this now. Will post impressions once I've given the single player campaign a shot.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I never would have heard of this otherwise.

Going to play later today again but Mission 2 in the SP campaign..even on normal the enemy is pretty relentless. First thing i do and learned..build a big army then move forward from there.
Lol, yep, they keep pulverizing me in the first 5 minutes, which tells me I'm doing something wrong with build order. Going to start cranking out an army before I worry about building two refineries.

Played the first four missions, seems a very solid RTS game with some interesting mechanics. Love the elevation and stealth systems. Having a lot of fun. The Grey Goo enemies feel suitably like an unstoppable plague.

Theandrin

So far as others have said I am really enjoying this. The story so far is fine, and the RTS elements are great. I can easily see myself playing this for months to come.

TheTrain

I'm in guys

ibgd7K8cFJTXK7.png

SC2 player here but I really miss something like RA or C&C.

Jeez that 5th mission was a real slog. I liked the hold out part of it but chasing stuff around every corner of the map isn't really fun.

Going to play later today again but Mission 2 in the SP campaign..even on normal the enemy is pretty relentless. First thing i do and learned..build a big army then move forward from there.

Edit :

Totalbiscuit on WTF is Grey Goo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ELug2mPc0

He likes it a lot!

Agree with TB's criticism that the units seem to lack something special. A major concern of mine going into it was that since 99% of the units are machines it's kind of hard to tell them apart at a glance. I'm not sure how to put it into words. TB says that they each exist to serve a function, nothing more, nothing less. I'd go a step further and say that for most units their form doesn't reflect their function at all. Like you'll be fighting a mob of drones and you wouldn't know which ones are the infantry scrappers, anti-armor, or heavies at a glance without being familiar with that race.

I think he's right that the most appealing thing about Grey Goo is that it's an extremely competent RTS coming out at a time where that genre is becoming increasingly scarce. Which isn't a bad thing, of course, but I think I might have jumped the gun on that $50 price point. I'm going to keep plugging away and see if it grips me. In all honesty i'm terrible at it.

Agree with TB's criticism that the units seem to lack something special. A major concern of mine going into it was that since 99% of the units are machines it's kind of hard to tell them apart at a glance. I'm not sure how to put it into words. TB says that they each exist to serve a function, nothing more, nothing less. I'd go a step further and say that for most units their form doesn't reflect their function at all. Like you'll be fighting a mob of drones and you wouldn't know which ones are the infantry scrappers, anti-armor, or heavies at a glance without being familiar with that race.

I think he's right that the most appealing thing about Grey Goo is that it's an extremely competent RTS coming out at a time where that genre is becoming increasingly scarce. Which isn't a bad thing, of course, but I think I might have jumped the gun on that $50 price point. I'm going to keep plugging away and see if it grips me. In all honesty i'm terrible at it.

Definitely, but I'm amazed how its grabbed me, the first RTS game to do that since Red Alert 3 really.

Bubba77

I bought it on steam this morning. I miss classic command and conquer and maybe something like this will make me give up dota for a while....

Timeaisis

Digging this game so far. Like the faction differences with the base building. Adds some depth. Not a fan of the human's unit models, though. Kind of hard to distinguish which is which.

Shengar

I love it how they outright bundled the game with the soundtrack. The price point is steep, but not so much for me. The impression that said the game similar to classic C&C with competent AI makes me really tempted to buy it.

Still stuck on mission 2 of the campaign.

I've tried a couple different options, from building 2 factories ASAP to build as large an army as possible to building walls around my base and garrisoning tanks inside to let me build my forces in peace for a few minutes, but I get overrun every time. From 3 different directions, no less. Speaking of walls, what's the point of garrisoning if almost every enemy unit can attack them from outside their range?

Tried hiding some units in the trees to the north of my base to give me warning and weed out approaching forces but enemy artillery blind fires inside and hits every time. Speaking of artillery, why is the enemy's capable of wiping out several commandos at a time while my own takes 4-5 hits to wipe one of their's?

I've managed to take out a single enemy base so far (the one to the east), but not without getting my base overrun in the process. I know I could play it on easy but I'd somehow feel lesser for it.

Edit: Tried the same mission on easy and it was...too easy. Tank spam beats everything. Yeah, I'm going to keep trying on normal or not at all.

Timeaisis

I've tried a couple different options, from building 2 factories ASAP to build as large an army as possible to building walls around my base and garrisoning tanks inside to let me build my forces in peace for a few minutes, but I get overrun every time. From 3 different directions, no less. Speaking of walls, what's the point of garrisoning if almost every enemy unit can attack them from outside their range?

Tried hiding some units in the trees to the north of my base to give me warning and weed out approaching forces but enemy artillery blind fires inside and hits every time. Speaking of artillery, why is the enemy's capable of wiping out several commandos at a time while my own takes 4-5 hits to wipe one of their's?

I've managed to take out a single enemy base so far (the one to the east), but not without getting my base overrun in the process. I know I could play it on easy but I'd somehow feel lesser for it.

Edit: Tried the same mission on easy and it was...too easy. Tank spam beats everything. Yeah, I'm going to keep trying on normal or not at all.

Wait till you get to mission 4...

If this the hand of rouk mission, i think the artillery upgrade for the guardians help a lot. Also repaired my hand of rouk, put some predators in it and made it a stop gap when the enemies broke through a wall. Put it in patrol so it would fire its big gun. The goo was spamming most of its forces to my west side, so same as you I took the three resource nodes on the east with the reinforcement rouk, which gave me a good resource boost to start tank spamming. restarted this like 3-4 times. I think this the first time I've had to restart missions in a RTS. its damned hard.

Currently on the Human mission to save civilians and it is HAAAARD. They start you off with so little (resource nodes and units) on a big ass map.

I'm on the fifth Beta mission "The Battle at the Crash Site", and I'm getting my ass handed to me, even on easy. The Goo attack relentlessly, and even their basic Drover units take a while to kill. Killing the Goo Nests doesn't really seem to stem the tide that much, and I haven't found much of an opportunity to expand.

Gonna keep plugging away at it.

For mission 5 mounting your walls with guardians is a real big help. If you have some extra cash then build another row of walls and man those too. And of course keep your Hand of Ruk hotkeyed and use it's attack ground to clear out big waves.

Laieon

I'm incredibly excited for this just because it looks like you can build walls. Back in the day I was really into Age of Empires and Age of Mythology, I played different than most people though. Instead of playing to win, I just played to see how long I could hold off a siege while bulding a town. I didn't feel like I could do that in Starcraft 2, but if that feeling can be replicated in this I'll be more than happy. $50 is a bit much though...

This looks like a great game based on everything I've seen, but at the same time $49.99 is way too high for a title that doesn't have a big developer or publisher behind it (when's the last time Petroglyph was relevant?) and has been marketed very little.

$29.99 would have been a much better price point. Sadly, between the poor marketing and expensive price, the game seems destined to fail. The lack of a demo certainly doesn't help matters, either. I just hope I'm wrong.

Sadly, between the poor marketing and expensive price, the game seems destined to fail. The lack of a demo certainly doesn't help matters, either. I just hope I'm wrong.

It actually seems to be selling pretty well on Steam. I was thinking it wouldn't make much of a splash, but between the decent reviews and high level of interest this might do better than you think!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It actually seems to be selling pretty well on Steam. I was thinking it wouldn't make much of a splash, but between the decent reviews and high level of interest this might do better than you think!

http://abload.de/img/gg9fu4l.jpg

Steam's lists are actually country-specific (Valve publishes an all-inclusive Top Sellers list at the end each week), but I've found that the top 10 is generally consistent worldwide.

Wow, very nice! I hadn't even thought to check the Top Sellers list to see how it was doing. I hope it stays there for a while!

Fou-Lu

If there is any truth to this not being a twitch strategy game and strategy over tactics than I think I may have to grab this. I absolutely cannot stand twich strategy games, I'm not quick enough for them and I never feel like I can enact well thought out plans.

Top Bottom