• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Pokemon Gen IV/V game to play?

Zushin

So I hadn't really played any pokemon game since Ruby back in the day, until I played X a little while back. It was okay but I've apparently missed some good stuff between Ruby and X. With the amount of games in that time it can be confusing! Is there a consensus about which game is probably the best overall in that time? I realise some of the DS games are expensive so just looking to buy one game.

Cheers

Zyrox

Only one has the GOAT legendary Giratina on the cover, so that one.

HG/SS are alright too I guess. And BW2 for Gen V.

Andrefpvs

In terms of sheer content and game quality, you want Platinum, HearGold/SoulSilver, and Black 2/White 2.

Since Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels, I'd also recommend playing Black/White first, since they're a very tight single-player experience and can be completed in a very short time (compared to other Pokémon games).

It's kind of hard to recommend just one game, since due to their nature Pokémon games aren't just superseded by the latest game. You will have to just choose one.

upandaway

I really really love Platinum so I'd make it that. BW and BW2 were also great so if you're still into it you can try those. Platinum is the last time we had a proper battle attractions area and a great thorough postgame. Dunno why people are recommending HGSS, I think you can do better with a brand new game than a remake.

A gen 4 remake game is probably coming, worth nothing, but after ORAS I don't trust Game Freak to do a good job with it at all so Platinum is still a safe bet.

Smasher89

Would mostly recomend playing through both black or white 1 and 2, (due to kinda continued story, and you can do a memory transfer between the games) since bw2 is the best ones. BW1 only has new pokemon, so it was kind of a soft reboo´, so its definitly worth a playthrough!

But since it's only 1 game i guess platinum is the one then.

Weebos

Banned
You can play any of the DS games other than Diamond and Pearl.

If you're interested in Sinnoh then play Platinum.

BW and BW2 are both great for some different reasons.

There are only 5th generation Pokemon in the main campaign of Black and White, so if that appeals to you check it out.

Black and White 2 change that and also have a pretty expansive postgame.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are pretty good, but they're pretty much just Gold and Silver again. If you want that check them out.

Why? Would be the same for Emerald?

I'm playing Heart Gold right now and was thinking what to play next.

Platinum is just the director's cut and improves on Diamond/Pearl in pretty much every way.

Emerald is similar but there's less differences between it and Ruby/Sapphire. Platinum is the biggest jump in quality for a third version in the series.

I think I bought and played through, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2. Some multiple times. I wasn't playing much else other than Pokémon at the time lol.

I liked all of them. Really good gen. Looking back now I would say that Platinum, one of HG/SS and either Black/White and move onto one of the sequels if you liked the first would be the best way to experience that gen. Diamond and Pearl are a bit slow and unrefined compared to Platinum to be sure.

Zushin

Hmm, so how substantial of a remake is is HG/SS? If it's not substantial I could just grab the original on the VC. Sounds like the platinum or BW/2 route might be better overall.

ZeroX03

Banned
Platinum is the best in the series.

BW had the best story/pacing until SM. BW2 has weaker story but better gameplay.

HG/SS are a bit underwhelming. I’d rather just grab the original from the eshop for nostalgia.

Hmm, so how substantial of a remake is is HG/SS? If it's not substantial I could just grab the original on the VC. Sounds like the platinum or BW/2 route might be better overall.

It adds a fair amount of new areas and things to do after you beat the main game. It doesn't bother to fix some of the problems with the originals for some reason, but it isn't a deal-breaker or anything.

Since HG/SS uses the engine from Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, the games run slower than the previous ones. The battle speed was increased in Platinum and HG/SS but it's still noticeable.

woopWOOP

Yeah, there's no overall standout best between the gen4-5 games as they're all great, except for Platinum being a better experience than the Diamond/Pearl games its based on.

My personal preference goes to HG/SS and B/W (1 &2)

HGSS is a great remake of Gold Silver, with a few added cutscenes, new facilities and a Pokemon following mechanic similar to Pikachu following the player in Pokemon Yellow. It's simple, but it's cute. With the price it's going for you might be better off getting the VC original tho.

Black & White 1 only has the 150 or so all new Gen 5 monsters until you beat the game, forcing you to not rely on old favourites. B/W2 takes place in the same continent, but is an all new adventure with a few different gyms, some fun post-game content and with previous gen monsters sprinkled around the continent. Both B/W games also have this season mechanic where each real month the game changes seasons which changes some encounter rates and how the ingame world looks, with some areas only becoming accessible during certain seasons. I like it and think it's too bad it's the only gen that does this right now.

BW2 are great games, and basically BW1 with more content, though I would still recommend playing BW1 first if you can. I loved that all the pokemon encounters until post-game were Gen V only. Made me very nostalgic :)

guyssorry

BW2 are my favorite Pokemon games, and I think (if i recall correctly) they have the most content. I recommend those, but the others are great, too.

Berordn

BW2 are my favorite Pokemon games, and I think (if i recall correctly) they have the most content. I recommend those, but the others are great, too.

HG/SS give them a run for their money, but they're comparable.

The only thing I'll add is that there's more to appreciate in B2/W2 by playing B/W first. It's definitely not required, but I loved experiencing it as a direct sequel.

Crayolan

If you're only getting one, either HeartGold/SoulSilver (remakes of Gold/Silver/Crystal) or Black 2/White 2. These are the best games in the series.

If you're willing to get more than 1, I'd say Black/White and then Black2/White2.

Get yourself a pokewalker play HG/SS, they are the definitive 2D pokemon games in my opinion. There are just so many pokemon you can catch in those games.

GonzoCR

Platinum is the GOAT Pokémon game, so that one. Black & White are pretty good too, more for their stories than anything else.

BW/2 are the best Pokemon games so one of those. Platinum is dope. HGSS is nice but honestly Kanto is still ass and it’s still the most easy Pokemon games by a mile.

Weebos

Banned
Woha, I didn't know Pearl was so badly regarded. It's the latest I've played.

Platinum improves everything about Diamond and Pearl, so much so that it is hard to recommend going back to them.

The biggest change for me is the Sinnoh dex and wild pokemon distribution changes. Diamond and Pearl had a really weak set of Pokemon available during the main campaign.

Serebii has a page detailing the changes: https://www.serebii.net/platinum/changes.shtml

Zelias

Banned
Any of them are potentially good, except for Diamond/Pearl, which feature the slowest battles in the entire series and are pretty much superseded in every way by Platinum. Guess it depends on what you want.

Platinum is the best way to experience Sinnoh hands down, fixing D/P's issues with slow battles and a lack of Fire-types while adding the standard 'third version' content.

Heartgold/Soulsilver are amazing remakes of the Gen 2 games that incorporate aspects of Crystal too. They have beloved features such as Pokemon following you in the overworld, and share the Battle Frontier with Platinum if that's your thing. The only thing stopping them from being perfect imo is that they never really fixed Kanto's level scaling issues properly, but they're still amazing.

Black/White 1 brought us a more story-focused game that, at the time, broke with established concepts in the series. Of particular note is that there are no pre-Gen V Pokemon available until you've beaten the game. If you're looking for something fresh, BW1 might be what you're looking for.

Black/White 2 are actual sequels to the first game rather than just third versions, with a story that follows on from the first games. The story is arguably not as good, but if story is your thing, you might be better served playing the first games first. That said, BW2 have an incredible amount of content, including post-game content, and introduce older Pokemon back into the Unova dex with a pretty good selection all round.

My personal picks would be BW2 or HGSS (both of which are the peaks of the series for me), but you can't go too wrong with any of the games bar DP.

Zushin

Any of them are potentially good, except for Diamond/Pearl, which feature the slowest battles in the entire series and are pretty much superseded in every way by Platinum. Guess it depends on what you want.

Platinum is the best way to experience Sinnoh hands down, fixing D/P's issues with slow battles and a lack of Fire-types while adding the standard 'third version' content.

Heartgold/Soulsilver are amazing remakes of the Gen 2 games that incorporate aspects of Crystal too. They have beloved features such as Pokemon following you in the overworld, and share the Battle Frontier with Platinum if that's your thing. The only thing stopping them from being perfect imo is that they never really fixed Kanto's level scaling issues properly, but they're still amazing.

Black/White 1 brought us a more story-focused game that, at the time, broke with established concepts in the series. Of particular note is that there are no pre-Gen V Pokemon available until you've beaten the game. If you're looking for something fresh, BW1 might be what you're looking for.

Black/White 2 are actual sequels to the first game rather than just third versions, with a story that follows on from the first games. The story is arguably not as good, but if story is your thing, you might be better served playing the first games first. That said, BW2 have an incredible amount of content, including post-game content, and introduce older Pokemon back into the Unova dex with a pretty good selection all round.

My personal picks would be BW2 or HGSS (both of which are the peaks of the series for me), but you can't go too wrong with any of the games bar DP.

Thanks for the pros cons of each much appreciated!

spad3

HGSS for gen V
Platinum for gen IV

I personally would have to say that HGSS and ORAS are the best games in the entire franchise.

BamFuller

Neo Member
Platinum is one of my favorite games ever, although HGSS is the best option for gen 4 content wise. I would skip gen 5 altogether.

I skipped and never revisited Gen IV, what was so bad about it?

EDIT: By Gen IV what I mean is, Diamond/Pearl since apparently Platinum fixes whatever problems there were?

ramparter

Banned
By the way guys, are any of them region locked if played on 3DS?
Id like to know that too because Im in the process of biying some Pokemon games of DS. However Im pretty sure that everything that was region free when released its still region free.

By the way guys, are any of them region locked if played on 3DS?
BW and BW2 are region locked iirc because they're DSi enhanced.

I skipped and never revisited Gen IV, what was so bad about it?

EDIT: By Gen IV what I mean is, Diamond/Pearl since apparently Platinum fixes whatever problems there were?
Not really bad, but Platinum increases the speed of the battles and surfing, which were extremely slow in D/P. It also increased the size of the regional Pokedex since some types like Fire were hard to come by in the originals. Add that on top of a number of new areas, features, and QoL improvements, make Platinum the superior option.

Top Bottom