• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 Years On - Is GTA IV still the best open world city in a video game?

Is it still the best open world city in a video game?

• Yes

Votes: 70 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 146 67.6%

• Total voters

Certinty

I recently jumped back into GTA IV due to it being on sale on Steam and despite the shortcomings everyone has always mentioned (mainly the gunplay), I was shocked at how well the open world held up. In fact it didn't just hold up, it blew me away even in 2024.

It's lively, the size of the overall map is great, each borough feels more than unique, pedestrians react to almost everything, the physics exploring the world are great and so on. You can literally just drive and walk around for hours as there's so much to see.

I think the biggest issue is the 'piss filter' the game has which many games around the time also had. I know Rockstar were going for the depressing vibe with the visuals but perhaps it was a bit overdone here.

Either way, I still can't believe when it comes to a city in an open world game, GTA IV is still the best. No doubt when it comes to open worlds overall V's San Andreas and especially Red Dead Redemption 2's world are better, but in terms of just a city alone, Liberty City is still unmatched in my eyes.

What do you think?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Watch_Dogs’ Chicago is much better imo

Z8oc7P3.jpg
U96iCM4.jpg
Ul214XY.jpg
sUqA6gn.jpg
3wt6Xjk.jpg
O914JQ7.jpg

Certinty

Good shout. Watch Dogs 2 San Francisco is right up there too, especially in liveliness.

Quite crazy though, these are games released in 2013 and 2016 (and GTA IV in 2008 and V in 2013) and I would say everything since has not even come close. Just looking at Insomniac's Spider-Man games which I love, the cities are just so incredibly lifeless despite the amount of cars and pedestrians.

Hugare

I think I agree with you, OP

I'm currently playing GTA IV on PC and the level of immersion is something else. It feels like a time capsule to the NY of early 2000's post 9/11

Also, be sure to install Fusion Fix for a much, much better experience on PC

Fusion Fix and other useful stuff

Z8oc7P3.jpg
U96iCM4.jpg
Ul214XY.jpg
sUqA6gn.jpg
3wt6Xjk.jpg
O914JQ7.jpg
Watch_Dogs is an amazing franchise when it comes to immersive cities

WD 2 San Francisco was also great

VulcanRaven

Good shout. Watch Dogs 2 San Francisco is right up there too, especially in liveliness.

Quite crazy though, these are games released in 2013 and 2016 (and GTA IV in 2008 and V in 2013) and I would say everything since has not even come close. Just looking at Insomniac's Spider-Man games which I love, the cities are just so incredibly lifeless despite the amount of cars and pedestrians.
The cities in Spider-Man games are different because you spend most of the time web-swinging. Street level details are not as important.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah GTA V is still super realistic but the window dressing let's it down. Wd1 and wd2 are much better imo, but legion is shit.

HL3.exe

From a city fidelity standpoint? Nah.
I love GTA IV for it's physics, low-level simulation reactivity and grounded tone.

I felt it's structure was dated on release, I wish you could use it's simulation to solve missions, instead of the linear scripted structure it uses (and Rockstar still uses).

But for my money, GTA IV is my fav R* title, and a huge leap from San Andreas. I'm still hoping GTA VI will finally have a open-ended approach structure in it's mission design using the world simulation and systemic rules to solve problems, MGSV/BOTW style. But I already know the answer to that wish.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Quite crazy though, these are games released in 2014 and 2016 (and GTA IV in 2008 and V in 2013) and I would say everything since has not even come close. Just looking at Insomniac's Spider-Man games which I love, the cities are just so incredibly lifeless despite the amount of cars and pedestrians.

Fixed that WD1 release date. Was going to say about the same thing. That's the PS4 version of Watch_Dogs. Look at how atmospheric that first shot is with the cloudy rainy shitty weather and seeing the interior of the buildings. Ubi was pulling that shit off ten years ago.

It's still my favorite Ubi open world and in my top 15 ever and one that I think could never be made today. Go back to that game now and youll see how fucked and dark it is. Pre Trump era games fuckin rule.

Soltype

I'd say yes, I keep installing it now and then to see the city even though the game isn't that great. San Andreas was a better game, but GTA IV's city had such a presence it almost carried the game even with its shortcomings.

Kupfer

For me, Night City it is.

xamnB85.jpg

The map is so packed with details and when I'm walking around there I'm constantly discovering new alleys, new paths, new levels, new POI's, the city feels like a real big city to me.
For me, night City is the most immersive and believable open world at the moment.
After that would be the map and inhabitantsof GTAIV

Eimran

I always found Liberty city the most boring city in the GTA franchise. I liked GTA IV as a game but compared to Vice City's beaches and islands and San Andreas' countryside, deserts, and diverse cities, IV was just a letdown.

I also like flying planes, for which LC, is not designed.

GTA V was much more fun.

Best formula is SA: multiple cities with each a different atmosphere seperated by countryside, desert, oceans and islands. GTA 6 seems to go back in this direction.

I also don't expect rockstar to make cities which are more linear. Those can't be milked for GTA online.

Hugare

For me, Night City it is.

xamnB85.jpg

The map is so packed with details and when I'm walking around there I'm constantly discovering new alleys, new paths, new levels, new POI's, the city feels like a real big city to me.
For me, night City is the most immersive and believable open world at the moment.
After that would be the map and inhabitantsof GTAIV
I love this game, but Night City is all smoke and mirrors. Absolutely gorgeous to look at, but devoided of any life, even after all the patches.

This city with GTA pedestrians or even Watch_Dogs 2 would be the best, 'cause it was perfectly designed, full of personality

Every pedestrian has basicaly the same animations, few lines, show up everywhere no matter the district you are in and etc.

There arent even NPCs in bikes 'cause it was too hard to implement. So you are the only individual riding a bike in the whole city despite having bikes everywhere.

Last edited:
Yes for me it's GTA IV hands down.

There are minor things that don't even happened in GTA 5 or RDR2 such as NPC car accidents, sometimes they'll just start shooting at eachother which REALLY cracks me up. You can also start fights by punching someone, then run and stand on top of a car and call the cops and the cops will actually come and arrest the NPC that's perusing you.

You would think that especially in RDR2 there would consistently be NPC gun fights and even duels. That would add so much to the immersion.

Pala in Far Cry 2 gets an honorable mention. That actually feels exactly what I would expect an African city to feel like. Guys patrolling the streets with rifles, talking on phones, if you bump into them they tell you to watch where you're going, if you aim guns at them they put their hands up and tell you rethink your decision, if you fire your weapon at all every other NPC will attack you for breaking the ceasefire. It's all outstanding.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I wanted to love this game so bad, but I cannot get past the car physics. Why are they so bad? Why does this not bother some people?

Woggleman

The game even nails it's depiction of North Jersey. There are so many small nuances that add up to make it a very immersive world.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nah, it's not even the best in the series.

San Francisco in Watch Dogs 2 is the best for the open world sandbox style.

No, after San Andreas it felt like a downgrade. The story and controls benefited but the world itself meh. I just think at that time they had no idea how to make such a large open world on the consoles yet. GTA 5 is miles ahead of 4.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
On the contrary, the driving physics are one of IV's highlights. They were way dumbed down in V - hopefully they don't make the same mistake in VI.
People always use this expression “dumbed down” and it is in bad faith. I simply cannot control the car. This is the only game with this problem.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As far as recreating an actual IRL city it’s definitely my favorite. Loved going to the 1.5 blocks of little italy and fucking with the NPCs.

But Night City wins IMO for being so dense and detailed. The NPCs are nowhere near Rockstar level though.

20230925233252-1.jpg

Flabagast

In terms of design and scale Night City is obviously the right answer, everything is taller and more detailed than any other video game city

However NPC AI and behavior are less complex than GTAV, which remains the best on that front I would say (with Watch Dogs not being far at all)

Laptop1991

The complaints about GTA 4 did include it was too much of a city simulator and lacked the fun of San Andreas, which Rockstar corrected with the dlc's, so it is a contender if realism is a factor

Spyxos

Gold Member
As far as recreating an actual IRL city it’s definitely my favorite. Loved going to the 1.5 blocks of little italy and fucking with the NPCs.

But Night City wins IMO for being so dense and detailed. The NPCs are nowhere near Rockstar level though.

20230925233252-1.jpg
I really liked the addon, but as soon as you don't have a mission this world is incredibly boring and I don't know what else to do. I never had this problem with Gta.

Top Bottom