• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Pokemon Gen IV/V game to play?

Both BW games are great, but if you're only buying one: BW2.

Yes B2/W2 are the better ones with more post-game content and content in general.

But, I liked B/W better honestly. B2/W2 for post game, definitely, but I like how in B/W that you only faced gen V pokemon up until you beat Elite 4. I'd say play them both!

For gen IV, it's obviously Platinum haha

Smasher89

Id like to know that too because Im in the process of biying some Pokemon games of DS. However Im pretty sure that everything that was region free when released its still region free.
Only the DSI enhanced games, cant remember which games started to do that though, it should be mentioned on the game box.

Zeroro

BW2 is my favorite Pokémon game, and I don’t know if they’ll ever top Gen 5, so I’d say go with that one!

Brewster123

Neo Member
So long as you avoid Diamond / Pearl, you can't really go wrong (All of them are atleast good). That being said, I would go for, in order....

Platinum > Black/White 2 > Heartgold/ Soulsilver > Black/White 1

It is insane how much Platinum improved upon Diamond/Pearl. It turned a couple of solid, but deeply flawed games into the best game in the series in my opinion. Black 2 / White 2 is next on the list. While you won't fully understand the plot and characters due to not having Black / White 1, it is still the best version of Unova.

Berordn

I skipped and never revisited Gen IV, what was so bad about it?

EDIT: By Gen IV what I mean is, Diamond/Pearl since apparently Platinum fixes whatever problems there were?

Battle speed was horrendous, animations were ugly and took WAY too long, the overworld was kind of bland and also ugly and slow to traverse, and the regional Pokedex was severely limited.

Platinum fixed all of that, and went above and beyond by adding a ton of content on top in addition to the return of the Battle Frontier. It also improved the story a bit, if you care about that at all.

Giga Man

I don't think they're worth it for their price, but if I had to choose one and only one, I'd go with Black 1/White 1. That game has quite possibly the best story sequence in the franchise. You also get ~150 completely new Pokemon. No oldies. If you're OK with that (I was), then go for it.

Top Bottom